PDA

View Full Version : Three Ridges Wilderness Hiking Partner September 7-September 9

trailbird85
08-30-2018, 11:49
Hi there,

Just confirmed a 3 day weekend off from work ( Off Friday Sept 7-Sunday September 9) and am looking for a hiking partner that would be interested in a 2 or so day hike around the Mau-Har area in the 3 Ridges
Wilderness:

I'm planning on parking at the Reid's Gap parking lot- just looking for a friend to enjoy the scenery and hiking/camping- I've got all necessary self gear/food/water.
I plan on being in the 3 ridges area and exploring the falls and loop back to the parking lot perhaps taking the Mau-Har trail back.
Anyone interested or in the area please shoot me a message. Happy hiking :)

Brandon

TNhiker
08-30-2018, 14:37
i cant do it............but that is a nice loop..............did it a few years ago..........stayed up on the ridge, then near the falls for the second night...

have fun....

trailbird85
08-30-2018, 15:54
Thanks! I am just looking for anyone to join me-- not really the type who hikes by myself- always like to have a partner. The falls are beautiful and
I was always able to get my water fresh at Campbell creek behind the Maupin Fields Shelter for drinking and making coffee and cocoa ^_^
And I get cell signal on the AT by the ridge but not down in the valley by the shelter-- but it's only about 3-400 yards :) Beautiful Area.

Emerson Bigills
08-30-2018, 21:29
Three Ridges Mtn may be the toughest climb on the entire AT that no one ever talks about. That is one tough ascent, rocky sections and it seems to last forever. "Fear the Three Ridges".

Crushed Grapes
08-31-2018, 11:52
Three Ridges Mtn may be the toughest climb on the entire AT that no one ever talks about. That is one tough ascent, rocky sections and it seems to last forever. "Fear the Three Ridges".
Very true. I did this last April, and the morning climbing out of Harper's Creek was a doozy. So many rock fields (and then) downed trees. The views were incredible though. Great hike.

trailbird85
08-31-2018, 17:53
Thought there’d be a better chance of someone being in that area this weekend. Maybe I’ll try to repost in October. I’m willing to meet anywhere near there though for a couple days of exploring

illabelle
08-31-2018, 20:12
Thought there’d be a better chance of someone being in that area this weekend. Maybe I’ll try to repost in October. I’m willing to meet anywhere near there though for a couple days of exploring
We'll probably see you up there in late October. Can't do it this time though. :)

Slo-go'en
08-31-2018, 22:23

I did it SOBO this spring and it's a real knee cruncher on the way down too.

Funny thing. I found a pint bottle of Fireball whisky set on a tree stump along the side of the trail (with a good two swigs missing), about 3 switchbacks up from the shelter. Can't leave something like that littering the side of the trail, so I took it to the shelter and passed it around. Didn't last long...

trailbird85
09-01-2018, 15:14
When I go to the Maupin I often see bottles of brandy or scotch left in the shelter for fellow hikers to relax- I think it's a camaraderie thing for the reward- no bueno for leaving litter on the trail though lol- but I do see people happy to open a small brandy bottle at the shelter after a long hike haha.