PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah NP

cknight
08-31-2018, 08:34
thinking about hiking the SNP northbound in mid September. Need advise on where to leave car and shuttle info.
Also, what are must do's in this park? I understand there is plenty of food along the trail. Any must stops on where to eat.

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2018, 09:00
To Complete the park one would walk from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal. Anyway to hold off until mid October? I think your you will have a much finer experience color wise in October. September will be completely green. Park facilities are still open in October as well:

Facility

Skyline Drive Mile

2018 Opening

2018 Closing

Comments

Dickey Ridge Visitor Center

April 6

November 25

9:00 - 5:00 daily

Byrd Visitor Center

March 23

November 25 (Begining November 30 hours will shift to Friday, Saturday, Sunday only, 9:30-4:00)

9:00 - 5:00
daily

Facility

Skyline Drive Mile

2018 Opening

2018 Closing

Comments

Elkwallow Wayside

March 30

November 4

Food, gifts, camping supplies

Skyland

41.7 and 42.5

March 22

November 25

Lodging, food, and gifts

Skyland Stables

41.7 and 42.5

April 6

TBA

Big Meadows Lodge

May 9

November 4

Lodging, food, and gifts

Big Meadows Wayside

March 29

November 12

Food, gifts, camping supplies, fuel*.

Lewis Mountain Cabins and Campstore

March 16

November 25

Lodging, gifts, and camping supplies

Loft Mountain Wayside

March 29

November 4

Food, gifts, camping supplies.

Facility

Skyline Drive Mile

2018 Opening

2018 Closing

Comments

Mathews Arm

May 2

October 28

1st come - 1st served

Big Meadows (showers/laundry)

March 30

November 12

1st come - 1st served and reservations

Lewis Mountain

March 30

October 28

1st come - 1st served

Loft Mountain (Campstore/showers/laundry)

May 2

October 28

1st come - 1st served and reservations

Dundo (Group)

May 2

October 28

Groups only, reservations required

Facility

Skyline Drive Mile

2018 Opening

2018 Closing

Comments

Dickey Ridge

April 6

November 25

Opening/closing dates tentative and depend on weather

Elkwallow

Open year round

Pinnacles

Open year round

Big Meadows

March 30

November 12

Opening/closing dates tentative and depend on weather

Lewis Mountain

March 30

October 28

Opens/closes with campground and campstore

South River

Open year round, no water

Dundo

Open year round

Back on track to your hike now - One thing that I thought is that all these eateries and dining places were going to be like walking thru mountain crossings at Neel Gap right on the trail, SOME are, most are not. I didn't see a wayside directly on the trail once thru the park, they are off the trail a ways and a hitch or road walk would be needed to get there.

Water: Only spot in the park I had an issue with was from BlackRock hut(Had great flowing water but is a climb down the hill to get to, maybe .5?) to Calf mountain Shelter which was a 13 mile stretch that is dry. Other then that 1 issue I loved the park, saw 3 bears and 1 bluff charged me pretty hard but stopped short by about 10 feet. Stayed at loft mountain campground and used the camp store. If you are a beer enthusiast the park sells alc. at several places such as the campground stores and lodges, not sure about the waysides.

I would say you would be able to get thru the whole park with no resupply but if you did need to jump off somewhere besides the 1400 Skyline Parkway crossings the trail has a convenient exit of the park at swift run gap which would be 45.5 miles for you from Rockfish Gap

I recall all vistas being directly on the trail from Bootens Gap sobo to Rockfish Gap - But 2 vistas I recall in the northern half of the park would be Mary's Rock and Little Stony Man Overlook and Compton Peak, all three of these are off trail but only a short distance. If you are a purist be mindful at Little Stony Man Overlook side trail, I tool the yellow blazed horse trial down the mountain and had to walk the AT back up the mountain, and then back down again to get all the blazes.

Shuttle Driver list is in my signature, I actually hitched thru the southern half of the park with no problem, if you are not comfortable with that you may try mountain home in front royal, or mark "strings", Stanimal, Gary Serra or maybe Homer Witcher. Those are all names I have used in that area. Mike Evans stiffed me my first trip up in that area, never heard from him after setting up shuttle with him. Mark Strings picked up that slack and got me from Swift run to HF

jimmyjam
08-31-2018, 09:02
A lot of answers can be found on the park's web site: https://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm

You could leave your car at the Visitor Center located at Rockfish Gap. It is in the parking lot ABOVE the parking lot where King's Kettle Corn is located. Park near the park's double wide trailor office. Talk to the ranger inside and tell them your plans. You can also fill out the free required Backcountry Permit there. Resupply in the park can be done (S to N) at Loft Mountain Campground store, Lewis Mountain Campground store, Big Meadows Wayside/campground store, and Elkwallow Wayside.

Odd Man Out
08-31-2018, 09:07
At the north end, the Northern VA 4H Center offers free parking, but you need to register and donations are appreciated.

https://goo.gl/maps/mCTWhTW7rvD2

http://www.nova4h.com/facilities/hiker-parking/

chef4
08-31-2018, 09:22
One problem with peak leaf season in October is how close the road is to the trail (I believe the road runs along the original AT route, they then moved the trail). You get a lot of vehicle noise, particularly audible are motorcycles with minimal muffling. Mid September should be OK. Best time is just after leaf fall, when you get great open ridge views.

Crushed Grapes
08-31-2018, 11:48
Man I'm on the fence about going in September or October. Less people/traffic in Sept, but man the foliage in Oct is great, just much heavier traffic/noise. Either way, SNP is fantastic. Have a great hike!

MuddyWaters
08-31-2018, 16:17
Last week oct imo

Hikingjim
08-31-2018, 17:48
Man I'm on the fence about going in September or October. Less people/traffic in Sept, but man the foliage in Oct is great, just much heavier traffic/noise. Either way, SNP is fantastic. Have a great hike!

I would go Oct for sure. IMO, it's not the most spectacular section of trail in many parts, and the foliage makes it much more outstanding

misterblitz
08-31-2018, 23:28
If you're hiking northbound, you can park your car at the Waynsboro visitor center just south of the park entrance. I left my car there this spring for a southbound hike. It's maybe 1/4 mile to the trail from there.

Odd Man Out
09-01-2018, 09:29
I would rather park at the north end, shuttle to the south end, and hike back to the car. Easier to arrange shuttle.

MuddyWaters
09-01-2018, 11:33
Park 4h center and hike nobo works great
Several shuttles in front royal