PDA

View Full Version : Days per state

THEDON
09-01-2018, 08:26
Saw this in a facebook group.

map man
09-01-2018, 08:44
I hope I (along with Whiteblaze) was given credit for this information as those numbers were lifted straight out of my NOBO thru-hiker study found right here at WB -- here is the link to that article (note Table 1):

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/44-AT-Hiking-Rates-Section-by-Section

It is cool to see the data expressed as a graphic like that.

It is worth noting that the sections often don't correspond to state lines so it isn't really a state by state analysis. Also, the numbers are for NOBO thru-hike completers and are going to be different for SOBOs, flip-floppers and section hikers -- the graphic doesn't make that clear, unless that info is somewhere else on the facebook page not reproduced here.

nsherry61
09-01-2018, 08:54
It looks like the numbers are for the matching colored line segments (which seems reasonable) which are NOT actually each different state. Nor does the table split things up by state. So, I'm not really sure what the creator of that graphic is actually claiming or what exactly he/she/they are trying to say.

If days per some distance were being used to infer trail difficulty or trail distractions, that would make sense and be interesting. But, other than being useful for spending marketing dollars along the trail in the right places where all those big-spending thru-hikers spend most of their time, I'm not sure what the value of days-per-state even is.

All griping and nitpicking aside. Thanks for sharing. Data is always fun to look at in different ways to infer all kinds of different interesting conclusions.

lonehiker
09-01-2018, 11:40
I hope I (along with Whiteblaze) was given credit for this information as those numbers were lifted straight out of my NOBO thru-hiker study found right here at WB -- here is the link to that article (note Table 1):

I would hope that you were given credit as well. It is obvious that you put in a lot of time and effort to produce this data. I personally have, and have often recommended, used your data for planning purposes (along with Mr. Tarlin's resupply article).

RangerZ
09-01-2018, 13:24
I would hope that you were given credit as well. It is obvious that you put in a lot of time and effort to produce this data. I personally have, and have often recommended, used your data for planning purposes (along with Mr. Tarlin's resupply article).

+1. When I started planning an AT hike I knew nothing. I used mapman’s data and Baltimore Jack’s advice to plan my half thru hike this year. I was only 2 days off my plan when I got to Harpers Ferry but that was due to zeros not flaws in the data. Thanks mapman.