PDA

View Full Version : Waterville Valley, NH - parking for a week?

somers515
09-02-2018, 09:05
It appears to me that people park at the Waterville Valley Ski resort during the summer to hike up Tecumseh. Is overnight parking allowed there too? Is this parking part of the White Mountain National Forest system requiring either a daily $5 pass or annual $30 pass? Is it a relatively safe place to park?

Same questions about the nearby Livermore trailhead (intersection of Tripoli road and W. Branch road). Overnight parking allowed? Part of the WMNF pass system? Relatively safe? Does this lot fill up mid-week in September?

I may camp at the Waterville campground my first night so perhaps I could ask about parking there for a week too.

Any other places to park in Waterville Valley, NH for a week that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help!

somers515
09-05-2018, 09:42
Ok so at first I tried emailing but got no response so I called the WMNF this morning and got these answers from the person on the phone:

The Waterville Valley Ski resort/Tecumseh parking is not part of the WMNF so she didn't know if they allow overnight parking. I already have an email in to the Waterville Valley Ski resort and I'll report back if I get a reply.

The Livermore trailhead (intersection of Tripoli road and W. Branch road) allows overnight parking. It is part of the WMNF pass system and the person on the phone thought it was relatively safe.

We also briefly discussed the Thornton Gap/Osceola trailhead which is also part of the WMNF pass system which she stressed is a smaller lot and further up Tripoli road which is dirt.

If anyone knows anything more about the Waterville Valley Ski resort parking please chime in (does it allow overnight parking? is there a fee? is it relatively safe?). I'd like to know because I imagine that's a large parking lot and I'd like to have that as an option if the other trailheads are filled up.

Also if anyone has any other information about places to park in Waterville Valley, NH that would be appreciated. Thanks again!

somers515
09-05-2018, 09:49
As an aside, I also asked about how the WMNF annual parking pass works. Apparently it's a sticker that goes on your windshield. I think I like that better then the federal interagency (America the beautiful) passes which if I'm not mistaken you sometimes have to leave hanging off of your rearview mirror. Isn't that just like leaving $80 out in plain sight? Although I suppose the kind of person who breaks into cars might not be the kind of person who is looking for a park pass? : ) Now of course the WMNF annual pass is $30 but the interagency pass $80 covers way more then just the WMNF so I guess I'm also curious for people's thoughts about leaving their interagency pass hanging in their cars while they go off backpacking for a week but perhaps this question should be in it's own thread . . . go ahead white blaze chime in!

Slo-go'en
09-05-2018, 10:27
I guess I'm also curious for people's thoughts about leaving their interagency pass hanging in their cars while they go off backpacking for a week but perhaps this question should be in it's own thread . . . go ahead white blaze chime in!

I don't know - I avoid any parking lot which requires a fee. Only parking lots with "facilities" (a place to poop) require the parking pass and there aren't a whole lot of these and those are way too popular places. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about leaving my pass on the dashboard.

My map shows parking at the Tecumseh trail head, so the resort must have a designated area for hiker parking.

kf1wv
09-09-2018, 13:11
I live in Waterville Valley. Your best option are the parking lots adjacent to the main commercial/lodging area of the Valley (Town Square), which are public and frequently patrolled. Your vehicle would be very safe there.

somers515
09-10-2018, 15:37
Thank you both Slo-go'en and kf1wv for chiming in and your help! I really appreciate it.

I assumed the same thing you did Slo-go'en but I always like to double check and so when Waterville Valley Resort didn't respond to my email I called and asked and they were super nice and said sure I could park overnight there. The number is 1-800-Go-Valley if anyone plans to park there overnight I would recommend giving them a call to confirm the rules are the same when you go.

As kf1wv points out that main parking near Town Square looks like it would be a good option, especially if I was going to park for a whole week. I also like that it's doesn't appear too far from the Town Square to the hiking parking lots/trailheads. I called the Town of Waterville Valley to ask about the Town Square parking and I was informed it is actually owned by the businesses that operate there. It was conveyed to me that they didn't think it would be difficult to secure permission and even said if you have any trouble let us know. So the town appears to be very welcoming which is nice.

Here's a biking trails map that I found that might be helpful for anyone else visiting this area. I like that the Pipeline trail connects the Tecumseh parking lot to the Livermore parking lot.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/579b97ff20099e4b9b909efe/t/5b2aab01352f5330e383ba94/1529522949433/hiking+and+biking+trail+map+final_18_bleed.pdf

Anyway turns out I'll likely be moving around a little and only parking my car overnight one night in Waterville Valley but I just wanted to report back what I found about parking options in Waterville Valley. Looking forward to my visit! Thanks again!

peakbagger
09-10-2018, 16:24
Heads up, things have been crazy at trailheads in the whites this summer and fall doesn't look any better. Many of the popular trailheads are full at 8 AM in the morning and by nine they are parked a half a mile in either direction. The very popular Lafayette Place lots off the parkway now have a paid shuttle from the Cannon Mtn Ski area lot when the lots are full even though some folks just park on the side of the parkway in either direction and hope that is not the weekend the state tows the cars. The other very crazy spot is Lincoln Woods, the lot is effectively full 24/7 most weekends so plan on parking a long distance along the highway.

The parking pass "s*cks" for folks with multiple vehicles as the pass needs to be stuck to the windshield. The senior pass travels with the owner. If someone is popping your side window a parking pass is not what he is stealing, electronics, equipment and cash are the usual goods. Generally they hit the more remote lots with predictable hiker schedules. Note that only the real popular lots with full amenities require the passes. The FS has scaled way back on the lots that require one. They are not required on state of NH property like Lafayette Place and the lots along RT 2. I have not heard of a lot of issues with break ins this year but did see some broken glass from breakins over in Evan Notch two weeks ago. With some creativity you can usually find an alternative trailhead that gets you to same place that doesn't require a pass.

The other FYI is there are significant bear issues in most of the backcountry and some front country sites. You can borrow a bear can for free at FS district offices. If you don't have one, make sure you do a good hang as the goofers are slowly training the bears on how to defeat the bad ones.

Note that peak leaf season is shifting later in the year. You are early for Waterville Valley. You may want to do a run up to Colebrook and take RT 26 to Errol or RT 110 from Groveton to Berlin to catch better colors. Tour buses do the same thing, they book hotel rooms and then shift the routed north to south to catch the peak.

somers515
09-11-2018, 11:17
Thanks peakbagger! This is exactly why I'm interested in having the info on all places I can park so I have flexibility if a lot is full.

The parking pass fee doesn't bother me too much as I'm happy to support the outdoor recreation projects it funds. Sounds like they might need to use some of the parking fees to address the overcrowding!

I wasn't aware NH was experiencing bear issues. Being from NJ we have our share of bear issues too and I will certainly properly hang my food whenever I'm able to. I do remember not being able to one time when I visited the RMC Perch a few years ago but usually I'm able to get it the proper distance from the ground and tree trunk.

And finally thank you for the tips about the leaf season. I'm actually just coming up to enjoy some backpacking in the White Mountain National Forest and if there are leafs to be peeped then that's just a nice bonus.