PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Northern Half Crowded This Month

Analog_Kidd
09-04-2018, 19:06
I'm headed to do Newfound Gap to I40 in a couple of weeks. Planning on staying at Pecks and Cosby Knob. I had been looking at these shelters and saw that they are generally lightly used this time of year, and have been looking forward to the solitude of my solo hike. In fact I chose weekdays for my hike to ensure a quiet trip.

I made my reservations a few weeks ago. Today I went back into the reservation system to see if I'll be sharing with any other hikers, and lo and behold, both shelters are booked solid both nights. Every other nights of the month only have 2 or 3 people booked. What is going on these nights?

So... 'fess up, which one of you is bringing this big group, and please tell me it is the ladies Sweedish Volley Ball team :-)

MuddyWaters
09-04-2018, 19:29
Leaf peeping season is a high season.

Starchild
09-04-2018, 21:23
It's the men's Swedish volleyball team :banana:sun

HooKooDooKu
09-04-2018, 21:54
Leaf peeping season is a high season.
In a couple of weeks is still too early for the leaf peepers.

While I don't know any specific dates, I've encountered an REI sponsored "tour group" at Peck's before.

HooKooDooKu
09-04-2018, 22:01
While I don't know any specific dates, I've encountered an REI sponsored "tour group" at Peck's before.
The REI Website (https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/namer/smoky-mountains-adventure.html) indicates a 5 day GSMNP Adventure with travel dates of Sept 10 - Sept 14.
[EDIT]
Never mind... the itinerary for that trip does not include the AT.

Slo-go'en
09-04-2018, 22:14
I bet a lot of people book at the last minute.

George
09-05-2018, 00:09
It's the men's Swedish volleyball team :banana:sun

actually, the nude mens team - have fun with that

Ashepabst
09-05-2018, 09:45
my money says they won't be anywhere near full.

cneill13
09-05-2018, 10:09
Its busy because everyone wants to say they hiked on the Appalachian Trail. If you want true solitude in the GSMNP, hike on the Benton MacKaye Trail. You will thank me later, I promise.

cknight
09-05-2018, 13:32
you will almost always have company on the AT through GSMNP.

JPritch
09-05-2018, 13:44
Don't sweat it. I just did your exact itinerary, over Labor Day weekend nonetheless, and while the part from Newfound Gap to Charlies Bunyon was what I would call crowded (but met alot of nice folks), the rest of the trail was anything but. Both nights, the shelter was registered at capacity, but had 10-11 folks. All respectful hikers and everyone quiet and in bed by dark. Don't let the potential of crowds or unruly people distract from your trip. The reality is typically far from that. That said, for you, I expect you'll have a fraternity from the local college tying up your shelter. At least you can ask to hit their keg. FYI, Pecks Corner Shelter sucks because it's 1/2 mile downhill off the AT, and an additional downhill walk to the water source. But I guess the mileage of it lines up well with leaving from Newfound.

Analog_Kidd
09-05-2018, 14:09
Well, I'm not really worried about the folks. As I was planning this trip, I saw that the 2 shelters were generally empty-ish, and I got that in my head that would be how it was going to be, and started to look forward to it. Seeing lots of people there is not bad, just not what I was expecting. I'm a people person, and can strike up a conversation with anyone, so I'll have fun either way.

BTW... The Swedish Volley Ball Team thing is an inside joke between me and a few friends. We did a two night-er in the GSMNP a few years ago. We were sitting at the shelter at the end of the day and someone said "The only thing that would make this day better is if the Ladies Swedish Volley Ball Team would show up." Not one hour later, a group of about 5 young ladies comes bopping into camp. After talking to them a bit, turns out they were members of the University of TN Volley Ball Team, out on a break. Life is weird sometimes.

Traffic Jam
09-05-2018, 19:44
Well, I'm not really worried about the folks. As I was planning this trip, I saw that the 2 shelters were generally empty-ish, and I got that in my head that would be how it was going to be, and started to look forward to it. Seeing lots of people there is not bad, just not what I was expecting. I'm a people person, and can strike up a conversation with anyone, so I'll have fun either way.

BTW... The Swedish Volley Ball Team thing is an inside joke between me and a few friends. We did a two night-er in the GSMNP a few years ago. We were sitting at the shelter at the end of the day and someone said "The only thing that would make this day better is if the Ladies Swedish Volley Ball Team would show up." Not one hour later, a group of about 5 young ladies comes bopping into camp. After talking to them a bit, turns out they were members of the University of TN Volley Ball Team, out on a break. Life is weird sometimes.
I will be on the GSMNP section of the BMT around the same time and don't expect to see anyone until Mt. Sterling. My theory is that 90% of hikers use the same 10% of trails.

I like my solitude but wouldn't mind running into the Swedish men’s volleyball team. :)

HooKooDooKu
09-05-2018, 20:07
I will be on the GSMNP section of the BMT around the same time and don't expect to see anyone until Mt. Sterling.
Don't place any bets on that...
The BMT goes thru the Tunnel at the end of "The Road to Nowhere", a popular day-hiker area, as well as Smokemont Campground (well, not thru the campground, but near it). It also goes thru the popular fish-camp area at the Eagle Creek Trail Head, and the Noland Creek Trail and parts of Deep Creek Trail that are popular with horse campers.

Your assertions about 90% of hikers using 10% of the trails is correct when you include all the day hikers. But GSMNP is a very popular park. I seldom go a day hiking anywhere in the park without seeing at least one other hiker enjoying the lesser used parts of the back country (at least between March and October).

Traffic Jam
09-05-2018, 20:30
Don't place any bets on that...
The BMT goes thru the Tunnel at the end of "The Road to Nowhere", a popular day-hiker area, as well as Smokemont Campground (well, not thru the campground, but near it). It also goes thru the popular fish-camp area at the Eagle Creek Trail Head, and the Noland Creek Trail and parts of Deep Creek Trail that are popular with horse campers.

You are right, I might see one or two other hikers before Mt. Sterling. When I hiked that 60ish mile section in March, i saw 4 people in the tunnel and some college students camping at CS 65(?). Didn’t see anyone today on the Finlay Cane/Turkeypen Ridge loop but saw one hiker two weeks ago on Lead Cove. (Not counting the 5 hikers on the AT near Rocky Top since we’re discussing the lesser-used trails).

Traffic Jam
09-05-2018, 20:37
Forgot to count the tent I saw on Eagle Creek (I assumed a fisherman), but never saw anyone as it rained all evening and I stayed in the tent.

rmitchell
09-05-2018, 21:22
Cosby Knob Shelter was closed for several weeks this summer due to aggressive bear activity (happens a lot), so there may be some pent up interest in that section.

Last month I talked to a ranger at Cosby who told me that the "resident " bear has a circuit that includes Walnut Bottoms, Cosby Campground and Cosby Shelter. He is a six year old male so is not a small animal. He did have a satellite tracking collar but it quit working.

Along with a friend I maintain from Low Gap to Cosby Knob top so I am usually up there at least six times a year. Most of the times it is a day hike. But on one trip we did spend the night at Cosby. The was a group of eight women there also using the Smokies as a tune up for a thru hike the next year.

Tennessee Viking
09-06-2018, 09:34
Labor Day-er's, getting close to fall leaf season, Fall Break-er's...getting close to cooler weather.