PDA

View Full Version : Vermont difficulty/trail conditions

icebeard
09-04-2018, 19:15
Hi everyone!
Was all set to do Franconia to Pinkham starting on the 10th of this month, but pulled a calf muscle at the gym yesterday! Nothing too severe, but enough that I'm sure I won't be 100%, and definitely not trying to tackle the Whites when not at full capacity. Still good to hike, just something less extreme.
With that being said, thinking about heading to Vermont for a section, maybe NH line sobo to Manchester Center. Elevaimaps don't look too intimidating, wondering from those with firsthand experience what the trail is like in terms of difficulty/conditions through this section.
Thanks all!

icebeard
09-04-2018, 19:17
Elevation maps⬆️

tdoczi
09-04-2018, 21:14
headed trail south the descent off of killington will be nasty, otherwise fairly easy

Southern Tonto
09-04-2018, 21:38
Hi everyone!
Was all set to do Franconia to Pinkham starting on the 10th of this month, but pulled a calf muscle at the gym yesterday! Nothing too severe, but enough that I'm sure I won't be 100%, and definitely not trying to tackle the Whites when not at full capacity. Still good to hike, just something less extreme.
With that being said, thinking about heading to Vermont for a section, maybe NH line sobo to Manchester Center. Elevaimaps don't look too intimidating, wondering from those with firsthand experience what the trail is like in terms of difficulty/conditions through this section.
Thanks all!

I did from slightly south of the MA/VT line up to Danby Landgrove Road about 4 weeks ago. Trail not too terrible as far as elevation is concerned but I will tell you, the trails were incredibly muddy and under water when we did them. This is not normal for this time of year but they have had a lot of rain up there this summer. Just advance warning unless they have dried out a lot in the past few weeks.

Slo-go'en
09-05-2018, 00:17
I did Manchester center (Mt Bromley) to Hanover a couple of years ago. (and that section of the LT many times) Definitely much easier then what you had planned, but you still work for your miles.

The Hanover to Sherburne pass section cuts across the grain of the ridges, so is a bit of a pain. There is a reason there are not many E-W roads in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Then there is Killington. The slab along the side of Killington is a real ankle twisting mess of rocks and roots. But once off Killington, the trail becomes just normal difficult. Apparently "Vermud" is living up to it's reputation. Poke ahead with your trecking poles to find a solid place to step. There is usually one someplace under the muck.

The shelter at Little Rock pond is one of the highlights of the trip. You might see a little fall color here and there. The trees in Northern NH are thinking about it, but their not there yet. Couple more weeks if it cools down enough.

You'll probably meet more then a few collage groups out for freshman ordination.

Jeff
09-05-2018, 07:24
We always get comments from SOBO AT hikers that Vermont is delightful hiking compared to where they have been.

greenmtnboy
09-12-2018, 08:16
I hiked the Long Trail 4 plus times; MA to Rt 4 is generally pretty routine, more or less. North of Rt 4 can be tough going in the Breadloaf wilderness.

u.w.
09-12-2018, 13:46
I just hiked from Wentworth NH to Bennington VT last week on my final section & completion of the AT. Terrain is not bad at all when compared to The Whites. Conditions were muddy in places, but not to bad; and difficulty... that is very subjective of course, but again - not bad at all when compared to The Whites.

u.w.

illabelle
09-12-2018, 13:49
Doing VT nobo from Wallingford to Hanover next week. Looking forward to it!

Jeff
09-12-2018, 13:52
Doing VT nobo from Wallingford to Hanover next week. Looking forward to it!

Welcome back to Vermont !!!

illabelle
09-12-2018, 15:09
Welcome back to Vermont !!!

You remember me! :D:sun

What a guy!

LIhikers
09-13-2018, 20:07
The thing I remember about Vermont is the mud, it was everywhere, and it was deep and wide.