PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever go both ways

FIREWHATFIRE
09-08-2018, 13:40
Being the curious sort, how many hikers have completed both directions in a single season?

capehiker
09-08-2018, 18:43
This is generally called a yo-yo. While not impossible, it’s not as easy to obtain though there have been hikers who have completed this. Probably the most notable are the Barefoot Sisters who have written a few books.

One Half
09-08-2018, 19:51
and one "notable" claim from a year or two ago that was pretty much discarded

MuddyWaters
09-08-2018, 20:58
Being the curious sort, how many hikers have completed both directions in a single season?

Laurie P. @ the ATC could advise on the # reported to them.

The first was Steve "yoyo" Nuckolls in 82-83. He did it 3 times consecutively in about 17 mo.There was half dozen successful yoyo reported circa 2012, not sure all in one yr.

Then Ward Leonard also did 3 times, but in 8 mo. Nobo, sobo, and flip flop.
He went sobo harpers ferry to ga. Turned around and set speed record nobo in 60.5 days, hiked nobo from harpers to complete second thru, then hiked sobo for third complete hike. After third he hiked north to erwin as well

Every year theres some hikers that turn around and head back, not ready to stop.
Most likely quit , yellow blaze, etc because dont have time to complete. It takes speed or advanced planning. Who knows how many actually complete it.

gpburdelljr
09-08-2018, 22:39
This is generally called a yo-yo. While not impossible, it’s not as easy to obtain though there have been hikers who have completed this. Probably the most notable are the Barefoot Sisters who have written a few books.
The Barefoot Sisters didn’t do their yo-yo in one season.

Dogwood
09-08-2018, 22:43
Question has been answered but it's strongly suggested if it's the OP's intention to perhaps attempt an AT yo yo he plans for it not approaching it in a we'll see what happens way. I did that(the we'll see what happens way) and by the time I was to start going SOBO after completing the NOBO in full the season was late as I lingered. I would have been in New England with snow which I wasnt prepared. I only got back to VT before I had to give the yo yo up based on my then abilities. If I had went faster or started the NOBO earlier at the AT southern terminus with fewer zeros while also staying healthy(uninjured) on the SOBO I would have placed my chances at more than 75% of completing the Yo Yo. It has always been a thorn in my side that I had not planned it well from the start. I was in no way ready to stop LD backpacking. In lieu of teh yo yo and because I had the fever I "treated" myself by going to Hawaii for three months and hiked everything I could find on all the islands including some very wild, adventurous, and dangerous off trail(crumbly very steep ridge line and escarpment) stuff. Next yr was my "off yr" with only 2700 miles on 7 different LD hikes. It hasn't stopped(fever hasn't subsided) since that missed AT yo yo. I think I would have had a different perspective if I had did the yo yo. I'm still chasin' "da life."

ldsailor
09-09-2018, 11:55
I met a yo-yo hiker at the James Fry Shelter on September 20, 2017. He had already completed a NOBO thru-hike and was on his way south. Considering the location, mile 1,109 (NOBO) on the trail, he was definitely going to make it if he stayed healthy. Of course, there is no way to verify what he told me, but he was convincing. BTW - he arrived at the shelter late, after dark and was only there long enough to do something with his pack before he headed back out SOBO.