PDA

View Full Version : Replacing original tent stuff sack

evyck da fleet
09-08-2018, 20:40
I’ve given up trying to duct tape my original tent and pole stuff sacks and was wondering what others have used to replace the original sacks when are no longer useful.

Heliotrope
09-08-2018, 20:44
No sacks. Just put my tent in the pack outside of my liner. Poles I slide into my rear mesh pocket. Stakes in a small drawstring bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
09-08-2018, 21:28
I've simply contacted the manufacturer and purchased replacement bag.
(In my case it was Big Agnes and I wanted to replace the stuff sack for my Copper Spur after I tore it while on the JMT... I usually carry my tent on the straps I believe designed to carry a sleeping pad).

bigcranky
09-08-2018, 21:41
I bought a roll top cuben fiber drybag stuff sack from Zpacks for my tent. It solves the issue of putting a soaking wet tent inside my pack - the drybag contains all the water. Take it out at lunch if weather permits to lay out and dry.

No poles (use trekking poles) so no pole bag needed.

Deadeye
09-08-2018, 21:55
any stuff sack - or none - will do.

DuneElliot
09-08-2018, 22:35
I have an extra silnylon stuff sack I forgot to send with a quilt I sold...used to use that with my Duplex. Now I have a different tent that has to be rolled and is longer so will probably have to use the stuff sack it comes in for a while.

soumodeler
09-08-2018, 23:16
I actually replaced one with a larger bag to make it easier to pack. I have a TarpTent Notch that was a pain to fit back into the original bag when wet, so I went 50% wider and slightly longer so I didn’t have to roll the tent perfectly to get it in the bag. I had a custom bag made by Zpacks back when they were doing custom orders, but you could easily make one at home. For a tent that didn’t have to be rolled up, I would just stuff it into any dry bag I had or find a cheap silnylon sack.

Analog_Kidd
09-08-2018, 23:21
I fold the tent and fly up in thirds, roll them all up with the poles, and tie it all up with a piece of string. The bag is unnecessary.

DuneElliot
09-09-2018, 10:00
For those who own the TT Notch or TT Stratospire...can you fit the tent in the stuff sack and then in your pack? The pitchlock poles look a little long but I also haven't tried.

soumodeler
09-09-2018, 10:20
For those who own the TT Notch or TT Stratospire...can you fit the tent in the stuff sack and then in your pack? The pitchlock poles look a little long but I also haven't tried.
I never did with my Notch. It would fit horizontally internally if I changed the way I rolled it to be no wider than the struts, but it would fit vertically without much of an issue. It always rode on the bottom of my pack secured with the straps there.

ldsailor
09-09-2018, 11:44
I replaced my light but flimsy original Tarptent Rainbow stuff sack with a 10 liter stuff sack, which I got at Walmart. It's a package deal where you get several stuff sacks in the same box for $10. The new stuff sack was carried outside my pack during a 595 mile section hike this year, which included the White Mountains. The stuff sack held up really well considering that I was sliding around on boulders a lot.

Venchka
09-09-2018, 13:18
I have the SS 1 with 16” struts. The rainfly and solid inner take up less width than the struts. The tent in the factory stuff sack fits anywhere there is 16” of length, vertical or horizontal.
I own 3 packs. Two packs have room inside vertically and outside room vertical or horizontal. The third pack has space inside vertical or horizontal and outside vertical or horizontal.
The struts can be removed and inserted quickly to make a smaller package.
Good luck.
Wayne

Last Call
09-09-2018, 17:35
Sea to Summit ultrasil.

Venchka
09-09-2018, 23:28
StratoSpire Li packed size from TarpTent.com:
“Packed size: 16 in x 5 in”
Wayne

swjohnsey
09-10-2018, 09:08
Stuff sacks = unnecessary weight.

DuneElliot
09-10-2018, 09:44
StratoSpire Li packed size from TarpTent.com:
“Packed size: 16 in x 5 in”
Wayne

Yup, thanks...I know the dimensions. I was curious about other's abilities to pack it in their packs and how it fit.

Venchka
09-10-2018, 09:47
Yup, thanks...I know the dimensions. I was curious about other's abilities to pack it in their packs and how it fit.
Obviously, it depends on the dimensions of the pack.
The SS1 in it’ stuff sack is quite compact. Tiny compared to my MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX.
Wayne