PDA

View Full Version : CT Section

Rozzy
09-08-2018, 20:59
Hey,

I'm think about doing my first section hike from MA-41 in Egremont down to Kent, CT. It's just shy of 50 miles total.

Two questions:

1. What is are the trail conditions and/or difficulty? I used the interactive map to calculate distance and elevation, but I know the same elevation can feel very different depending on footing and steepness. Most of my hiking and backpacking are in the White Mountains. That's my basis of comparison.

2. What is the camping situation like, separate from the shelters, in that section? Do I need to plan my trip around the shelters or will I be able to stealth camp?

Thanks!

Heliotrope
09-08-2018, 21:28
Just did Lee MA to Salisbury, CT this year. The CT miles I did were Easy to Moderate.
(I backpack in ME most of the time.) You do need to camp at designated sites in MA and CT. No open fires in CT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hatchet_1697
09-08-2018, 23:53
Just hiked SOBO from Mt Everett (Guilders Pond) MA to Kent. First 9 mi were average AT miles, next 20 or so were easier than average, but when the nice, long, flat stretch along the Housatonic River ends there’s a couple miles of tough hiking between you and CT341 (Kent). I did it on a hot day while fighting off a bug and low grade fever so might have a different perspective, but it felt like NH for about a mile or so. H

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rozzy
09-09-2018, 08:02
Thanks, that’s helpful. From what you are describing, 16–18 miles per day shouldn’t be an issue then. I live about 10 minutes from the Blue Hills, which works pretty well for conditioning.

Slo-go'en
09-09-2018, 08:35
There are a few rough spots, but on the whole it's as easy at the AT ever gets.

Whiteblazing95
09-09-2018, 08:45
Did the CT section this past May. The trails are easy to moderate. Not even comparable to the WM. Lots of ups and downs. As for camping there are shelters/tent sites about every 10 ish miles. My friend and I stealth camped every night expect our last night. We started at bear Mtn. To the New York border.

Slo-go'en
09-09-2018, 08:50
My friend and I stealth camped every night expect our last night. We started at bear Mtn. To the New York border.

You shouldn't admit to illegally camping on a public forum.

Whiteblazing95
09-09-2018, 08:58
You shouldn't admit to illegally camping on a public forum.

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler
09-09-2018, 09:58
Conditions on that stretch of AT will vary with weather and terrain. I would say if WM hiking is your gauge the hike is moderate with a few challenging sections that should not be an issue for you.

Camping in MA and CT is regulated and the use of designated camping sites/shelters is required. At this time of year, especially non-weekend days, there should be no problems finding a campsite at these areas, many of them likely empty.

A note on "stealth" camping though, over the years we have nearly lost the Riga Plateau section of the AT (Lions Head to Jug End) due to camping issues like forest fires and destruction of vegetation. Were it not for the persuasive skills of the AMC Chapters involved and the establishment of designated camping areas and means to patrol the corridor, the trail would have been closed to what many feel is the best hiking area in southern New England. To avoid this, the AMC Chapter, property owner(s), and AT enthusiasts encourage use of the designated camping areas.

Have a great time!

Rozzy
09-09-2018, 15:46
Conditions on that stretch of AT will vary with weather and terrain. I would say if WM hiking is your gauge the hike is moderate with a few challenging sections that should not be an issue for you.

Camping in MA and CT is regulated and the use of designated camping sites/shelters is required. At this time of year, especially non-weekend days, there should be no problems finding a campsite at these areas, many of them likely empty.

A note on "stealth" camping though, over the years we have nearly lost the Riga Plateau section of the AT (Lions Head to Jug End) due to camping issues like forest fires and destruction of vegetation. Were it not for the persuasive skills of the AMC Chapters involved and the establishment of designated camping areas and means to patrol the corridor, the trail would have been closed to what many feel is the best hiking area in southern New England. To avoid this, the AMC Chapter, property owner(s), and AT enthusiasts encourage use of the designated camping areas.

Have a great time!
Thanks! I have no problem using the designated spots if it's illegal to do otherwise. One of the reasons for posting is to get a sense of the mileage I can do realistically so I don't leave myself in a position where I need to camp someplace I'm not supposed to camp.

The itinerary I'm thinking about would be this:

Day 1: Mass Rt 41 to Riga (14 Miles)
Day 2: Riga to Pine Swamp (18.7 Miles)
Day 3: Pine Swamp to Kent (17 Miles)

Is Backcountry Outfitters the best bet for a shuttle to my starting point?

Teacher & Snacktime
09-09-2018, 17:26
Thanks! I have no problem using the designated spots if it's illegal to do otherwise. One of the reasons for posting is to get a sense of the mileage I can do realistically so I don't leave myself in a position where I need to camp someplace I'm not supposed to camp.

The itinerary I'm thinking about would be this:

Day 1: Mass Rt 41 to Riga (14 Miles)
Day 2: Riga to Pine Swamp (18.7 Miles)
Day 3: Pine Swamp to Kent (17 Miles)

Is Backcountry Outfitters the best bet for a shuttle to my starting point?

I'd recommend Hudson at Bearded Woods. The hostel is closed for the year but I believe he still shuttles. He's centrally located and reliable.

LucyInColor
09-10-2018, 00:07
I just finished the section from the NY/NJ State Line to North Barrington, MA & the most difficult section for me was a one mile stretch outside of Kent, CT. It's more of a climb than a hike. Except for a four or five mile walk along the Housitanic River I had to watch my feet constantly & I was not able to hike as fast or as far as I hoped. If it were me, I'd plan four days for CT. There was lots of room at the shelters last week.

Slo-go'en
09-10-2018, 08:28
I just finished the section from the NY/NJ State Line to North Barrington, MA & the most difficult section for me was a one mile stretch outside of Kent, CT. It's more of a climb than a hike. Except for a four or five mile walk along the Housitanic River I had to watch my feet constantly & I was not able to hike as fast or as far as I hoped. If it were me, I'd plan four days for CT. There was lots of room at the shelters last week.

Johns ledges outside of Kent are a pain. Having done them once, I now go around them using the River Road. Saves a good 90 minutes and lots of effort :)

Having to watch your feet constantly is a characteristic of the AT. The thing you see the most of while hiking the AT is your feet. Someday I'll do a video of what it's like to hike the AT - it will be 2 hours of nothing but my feet stumbling along :)

The other thing to remember is the AT through CT (and MA) passes through some really high priced and prime real estate. Therefore the trail is routed where it's not possible to build anything. And since the trail is only 50 some miles through CT, they go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible. Like, hey here's a place we can make them scamper over some rocks, so lets make the trail go that way! But on the whole, it is a pretty easy state.

Rozzy
09-10-2018, 10:28
Johns ledges outside of Kent are a pain. Having done them once, I now go around them using the River Road. Saves a good 90 minutes and lots of effort :)

Having to watch your feet constantly is a characteristic of the AT. The thing you see the most of while hiking the AT is your feet. Someday I'll do a video of what it's like to hike the AT - it will be 2 hours of nothing but my feet stumbling along :)

The other thing to remember is the AT through CT (and MA) passes through some really high priced and prime real estate. Therefore the trail is routed where it's not possible to build anything. And since the trail is only 50 some miles through CT, they go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible. Like, hey here's a place we can make them scamper over some rocks, so lets make the trail go that way! But on the whole, it is a pretty easy state.

Yeah, I'm used to watching my feet. That's pretty much every trail in NH. That describes a lot of New Hampshire, too. Lucy, have you had a chance to do the section between Pinkham Notch and Gorham, aka the Wildcats, Carters, and Moriah?

Those ledges look fun! Coming from Randolph, if you say they are a PITA, I believe you!. The only part of my plan that I am questioning is the last day. This would leave the hardest part of my hike for the very end of a 17 mile day. Day 1 should be cake. Day Two is a lot of miles, but it looks moderate to me. At least Day 3 has a lot of flat along the river. I suppose it I'm totally tapped, I can just do the road walk and pick up the section at the ledges next time out.

tiptoe
09-10-2018, 13:04
Rozzy, they aren't anywhere near as difficult as the Wildcats, Carters, and Moriah. Not to worry.

thruseeker
09-12-2018, 11:39
What are your thoughts on this?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewhiteblaze%2Enet %2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D130707&share_tid=130707&share_fid=24664&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Rozzy
09-14-2018, 19:14
That is an incredible offer! For me personally, I would likely end my trip in Kent and I probably wouldn't take advantage of it unless I decided to camp out there the night before picking up a shuttle. If you are in business of helping section hikers out of Kent, I'd gladly kick you the cash to shuttle me instead of the other options :)

thruseeker
09-15-2018, 06:22
That is an incredible offer! For me personally, I would likely end my trip in Kent and I probably wouldn't take advantage of it unless I decided to camp out there the night before picking up a shuttle. If you are in business of helping section hikers out of Kent, I'd gladly kick you the cash to shuttle me instead of the other options :)I have no desire to shuttle people, or charge anything. If done, this will not be a business.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rozzy
10-02-2018, 05:57
In strange bit of fortune, I was able to catch a ride out to Kent this weekend and hiked the section from Bull's Bridge to 341 in Kent. It was 7.8 miles in 3.5 hours with breaks. It reminded me a lot of Skyline Trail in the Blue Hills. The biggest climb was a little more, but mile for mile, I think it was less elevation change. I bumped into a few SOBOs (Earth Surfer, Tiny, and Obi Wan). It's definitely a moderate hike. The descent from Schatacoke to the col between it and Mt Algo was a little New Hampshire-eque, but other than that, the footing was great and the grades were all mild. I don't think I will have any trouble doing the miles that I want to do for the southern MA/northern CT section I want to hit.