PDA

View Full Version : This drove me crazy

Chef2000
02-19-2006, 12:27
This from the online journal of a current hiker on the AT

"Andrew peed though a hole in the floor, second story, two times and out the window once. I too went out the window. Andrew wanted to leave early the next day because his piss landed all over the entrance. "

These guys were on the second story of one the shelters in GA last week, they were so cold and lazy intsead of at least getting out of the shelter they just went "through a hole in the floor". These guys are idiots. :mad:

Panzer1
02-19-2006, 12:39
Did anyone get their names??

Panzer

Vi+
02-19-2006, 13:02
Panzer1,

You ask, "Did anyone get their names??"

Are you going to force the trail names “Golden Shower #1" and “Golden Shower #2” upon them? Or, maybe, "Dirty Dribblers?"

Maybe we should initiate a "Name the Pi$$ers" contest.

Chef2000
02-19-2006, 13:18
VI thats awesome, a common practice is to give someone a secret trailname or alternative name, that you and other hikers share based on your opinion of them. I did in 2000 and subsequent years of section hiking, mostly harmless "pet names"

Theese two are doing that, calling a couple who snores loudly in the shelter "Polar Bears" and another "crazy looking hiker" "charlie" sfter manson.

Would you rather have someone who snores in a shelter looks like manson or someone who urinates in a shelter, as one of your bunkmates?

TJ aka Teej
02-19-2006, 13:28
"Depends 1 "

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2006, 13:34

Panzer

How about "Polly pissy pants"

Sloghound
02-20-2006, 02:36
Loser Hoser, and Outa Control?

Geez, Louise. These pee-perps are B-A-D. Hope nobody replaces their lemonade mix with drug test beater powdered wee.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Heater
02-20-2006, 04:21
This from the online journal of a current hiker on the AT

"Andrew peed though a hole in the floor, second story, two times and out the window once. I too went out the window. Andrew wanted to leave early the next day because his piss landed all over the entrance. "

These guys were on the second story of one the shelters in GA last week, they were so cold and lazy intsead of at least getting out of the shelter they just went "through a hole in the floor". These guys are idiots. :mad:

I agree. They are Idiots. This "pissed" me off when I read it. It seems these two are highly religious hikers but they don't fully understand the universal golden rule. They obviously didn't read past "do unto others... " and decided do do just that!

They should have more respect for those around them and more respect for those that follow. :(

Peeing in or around a shelter is unacceptable.

Heater
02-20-2006, 04:29
VI thats awesome, a common practice is to give someone a secret trailname or alternative name, that you and other hikers share based on your opinion of them.

Butch Flatulence and the Incontenence Kid.

Smile
02-20-2006, 07:22
Was this on Trailjournals?

Heater
02-20-2006, 08:07
Was this on Trailjournals?

Messenger. Sunday, Feb 12th. Hiking with Braveheart.

Chef2000
02-20-2006, 10:09
Austex got the ones. I was thinking about the religious aspect of their hike, but did not want to start a "christian" thing.

But yes this behaviour was not very christian like it was stupid to do and even stupider to post it online. Any one remember the kid who pretended to be cop and confiscated someones weed? He had to slow his journal post down so no one knew exactly where he was.

Just Jeff
02-20-2006, 11:35
...universal golden rule...

Haha...that's punny.

lbbrown
02-20-2006, 12:24
How about "Polly pissy pants"
Call 'em the "Pissin Christians"!

It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!

How would they feel if someone pissed all around the front of their tent?:eek:

Just say it's holy water.

MOWGLI
02-20-2006, 12:31
Haha...that's punny.

Austex is a great pun writer. He's been writing them for years. Last year he entered his 10 best puns in an International Pun Contest. He waited for weeks to hear from the committee, and finally, he received his letter in the mail. He tore open the envelope thinking that he'd won...... Did one of his 10puns win an award?

Alas, no pun in 10 did.

Dances with Mice
02-20-2006, 13:40
Was this on Trailjournals?The story has been erased from the Trailjournal site.

Now they're begging on the streets of Helen. Did their sign say "Will Hike for Food"?
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=124856

A-Train
02-20-2006, 13:42
Chef,

Better to be pissed off, than pissed on!

Heater
02-20-2006, 13:49
Haha...that's punny.

Oh please. You are embareassing me with your showers of praise.

Disney
02-20-2006, 14:32
He urinates in the shelter, had to beg money on the corner for a hotel room, then spent 3 days in Helen, and has made 60 miles in 10 days. Stranger things have happened but I'm not optimistic.

Chef2000
02-20-2006, 14:36
Begging really makes thru hikers look good. Yes the journal has been edited, including the remarks in the guest book. I love Helen GA, Ill be there in April

SorryI do not mean to harp on these two guys speciffically, but their behavour reflects on all the hikers coming thru in the next two momths.

Heater
02-20-2006, 14:50
The story has been erased from the Trailjournal site.

Now they're begging on the streets of Helen. Did their sign say "Will Hike for Food"?
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=124856

From their journal... (in case this one gets erased too)

"We finally found a room that we could get for half price as we befriended, "flirted with" the desk clerk Mandy. "Messenger" was out on the road and made over 60$ in a couple hrs. so we had our nights stay and some $ for the next night too! God is good."

Really nice! :rolleyes:

What a couple of clowns. That is all I will say about it as I don't want to start "bashing" these two any more than necessary. Pissing IN the shelters and begging for money WITH A SIGN in Helen is enough to know what a couple of losers these two are.

:(

John B
02-20-2006, 15:03
The story was erased and the guestbook comments about them using the shelter floor as a urinal were also deleted.

Disney
02-20-2006, 15:12
on the plus side, I was the 6000th person to view that page. He's probably got more traffic than any hiking journal up this year.

Tinker
02-20-2006, 15:15
Too cold to go out and pee! :rolleyes:

REALLY!:-?

How about -

The "Princess and the PEE"????

What did they expect starting in March??????

No wonder some people want to dispose of shelters.

Hikers like this drive me :banana :banana

rainmaker
02-20-2006, 16:04
Disney, I'm highly optimistic their thru hike will soon be over. They'll have to look for redemption somewhere else.

totempole99
02-20-2006, 17:38
What about Peon for one of them? Everytime someone sees them they can pee on the two peons and their gear.

Ridge
02-20-2006, 19:07
Another reason to tent and stay out of shelters! Especially two story ones.

Skidsteer
02-20-2006, 19:15
a common practice is to give someone a secret trailname or alternative name, that you and other hikers share based on your opinion of them.

How about "Drip" and "Dribble"?

digger51
02-20-2006, 19:28
It never ceases to amaze me how some will use any excuse to jump on the anti Christian wagon. Will someone please find out in what church these guys were taught to piss in the house and beg on the streets and I will go let the pastor know they are teaching bad habits. Personally I think it is simply a case of two dim bulbs with rather nasty habits displaying their lowlife selves. The proper way to deal with them would be to have the hiker community to shun them, instead of trying to malign religion. Some anti religious zealots seem to be as fanatical as those of faith they choose to disparage.

Skidsteer
02-20-2006, 19:34
The proper way to deal with them would be to have the hiker community to shun them, instead of trying to malign religion.

I've read the entire thread and that is exactly what seems to be happening.:confused:

TwoForty
02-20-2006, 19:59
Judging by what is in their journals, they won't make it far.

ed bell
02-20-2006, 20:11
It's too bad "Messenger" has chosen to edit his Springer Mt. Shelter entry and any resulting guest book entries instead of addressing the case of bad judgement with an apology. Ain't scrutiny a bitch?

MOWGLI
02-20-2006, 20:17
It's too bad "Messenger" has chosen to edit his Springer Mt. Shelter entry and any resulting guest book entries instead of addressing the case of bad judgement with an apology. Ain't scrutiny a bitch?

Don't blame him. He's just the "Messenger." ;)

ed bell
02-20-2006, 20:42
Don't blame him. He's just the "Messenger." ;)
True, I should add that "Braveheart" was the hiker who relieved himself through the floor, according to "Messenger", while "Messenger" chose the window. I really can't imagine what possessed the dude to write it in an online journal. Funny/sad stuff.

Sloghound
02-21-2006, 00:00
I've read his TJ. By his own telling, he has a t-e-n-u-o-u-s grip.

Maybe the meds will start kicking in soon, and I don't mean the diuretics.

saimyoji
02-21-2006, 00:24
The short one of the pair was wearing jeans in the pic of them starting the approach trail. Wonder what kind of experience these guys actually have.

saimyoji
02-21-2006, 00:28
"Braveheart" is the one on the left.

http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=131945

Deb
02-21-2006, 09:53
Braveheart issued an apology in an entry dated today.
www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=124909 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=124909).

MOWGLI
02-21-2006, 10:01
Good for him! It takes a lot to admit a mistake.

Gray Blazer
02-21-2006, 10:04
Trail names.....how 'bout "2 pee"..or..."not 2 pee" ?

Almost There
02-21-2006, 10:45
Wow, ten days to get to Helen...I think I did it in...3.5 days, and they're already out of money in Georgia??? Sad to hear about eh peeing...oh yeah, they also didn't mention that there were five people sleeping below them in the shelter as well.

colbys
02-21-2006, 11:05
those two will be off the trail by hot springs me thinks,man they need a serious beat down.we should arrange a trail mob and go and get em,under the disguide of trail majic,......;) man i love it,a hiker lynch mob...:D

Trail Yeti
02-21-2006, 11:52
At least he apologized.....time will tell if its sincere, for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. As for Trail Names.....why not "Inside" and "Out"....since they peed from the inside out....ha ha ha....I crack myself up.

Joshua
02-22-2006, 11:58
To those who replied with threatening, vulgar, obscene or hateful remarks above, your behavior is no better than the two hikers. You agreed to a set of rules for this site and you have violated them. If this site has any integrity you should be banned from this site. See below:
(From the agreement page.)

Warning: By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of WhiteBlaze.net reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

By the way, it is easy to criticize from the comfort of your warm home.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 12:01
Would you happen to be one of the pissing-in-the-shelter boys?:D

Joshua
02-22-2006, 12:13
NO. Just an interested reader.

Just Jeff
02-22-2006, 12:16
Hrm...someone whose first post, on the same day he joined, is about banning others from the site. Interesting.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 12:18
NO. Just an interested reader.
That ain't you on the right, Joshua?:D Who you s***in? Get back in the woods.:D

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 12:19
NO. Just an interested reader. :welcome

So Joshua. What do you think of someone who is too lazy to crawl out of their sleeping bag to relieve themselves in the woods, and instead pisses through a hole in the floor when people are sleeping beneath them? How would you feel if you were underneath them, or arriving at the shelter the next day? The boys even talked about leaving the shelter early because they knew thay had done something wrong. Are you defending that kind of behavior?

What do you think about someone panhandling for hotel money 50 miles into a 2176 mile journey? Isn't it all about self sufficiency? Do you think that kind of behavior paints a flattering picture of AT hikers? Should it be condoned?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sloghound
02-22-2006, 12:21
The apology seems sincere on Braveheart's TJ guestbook, now if they can see the problems caused to the hiker community by being AT mendicants, that would be double-plus good.

Joshua
02-22-2006, 12:33
That ain't you on the right, Joshua?:D Who you s***in? Get back in the woods.:D

Some people have the ability to take people at-their-word, others don't. I am not the Josh in the picture.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 12:38
So where in Georgia you live? Helen?

Joshua
02-22-2006, 12:47
:welcome

Inquiring minds want to know.

I never said their behavior was acceptable. As a matter of fact, I condemned their behavior along with the slander included in the forum.
Obviously the two hikers are amateures and in need of some "AT Family" help rather than slander. If this is the behavior of the "AT Family" then why would anyone want to be a part of it or support it.
If you seriously care about the trail and the community then support those who are trying it. Coach amateures rather than slander them.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 12:49
I see you changed your name to Randy in your profile.

Joshua
02-22-2006, 12:57
I see you changed your name to Randy in your profile.

What's your infatuation with who I am? Joshua is my trail name. Randy is my name.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 12:59
What's your infatuation with who I am? Joshua is my trail name. Randy is my name.
After your 1st post I checked your profile and you listed your first name as Joshua. Now it's Randy.:)

Joshua
02-22-2006, 13:02
You must have misread the profile. I was always Randy. End of discussion.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 13:03
You must have misread the profile. I was always Randy. End of discussion.
You FOS. Busted!:D

Fiddler
02-22-2006, 13:05
After your 1st post I checked your profile and you listed your first name as Joshua. Now it's Randy.:)
Maybe L. Wolf ain't the only one seen it. Think about it. Like he said, BUSTED!

Joshua
02-22-2006, 13:06
You FOS. Busted!:D

See my first reply.

Gray Blazer
02-22-2006, 13:07
Randy can mean horny. In that case I'm always Randy, too. (Kids, horny means someone who honks their horn a lot).;)

mdionne
02-22-2006, 13:26
Randy can mean horny. In that case I'm always Randy, too. (Kids, horny means someone who honks their horn a lot).;)

thanks for explaining that one, randy also can mean to be an unknown person mingling with a group of friends.

Fiddler
02-22-2006, 13:32
Randy can also be the masculine form of Rhonda.

totempole99
02-22-2006, 13:34
To those who replied with threatening, vulgar, obscene or hateful remarks above, your behavior is no better than the two hikers. You agreed to a set of rules for this site and you have violated them. If this site has any integrity you should be banned from this site. See below:
(From the agreement page.)

Warning: By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of WhiteBlaze.net reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

By the way, it is easy to criticize from the comfort of your warm home.

Who are you to talk about integrity, after pissing from shelter, erasing the entry from your journal, erasing subsequent posts in the guestbook, and changing your profile? At least Braveheart's apologized, and it seemed sincere, rather than trying to cover it up.

If this site was administered how you would like it to be, half+ of the people would have been banned by now, included most 'experts', and the site would be no where near as informative or helpful as it is now.

And the last thing you wrote makes me sure you are this tool you claim not to be. I'm just glad we've got L. Wolf to check your stuff and point out all your holes in your stories.

John B
02-22-2006, 13:35
Joshua, you seem to suggest that because they are amateurs, then that helps to excuse their behavior. I disagree. I'm am almost positive that 99% of all amateur hikers would know better than to urinate in a shelter or out of shelter window. That's childish behavior that one might expect from a 5 year old, certainly not from people their age. And holding a sign begging for money in the first trail town they encounter? I've been reading trail journals for a couple of years and I've never heard of anyone brag about begging $60 in cash in their first town.

Here is an excerpt from Red Dane's journal -- a female hiker from Denmark currently doing a thruhike. Maybe her entry will help you see the difference between pissing out of a window and the correct behavior:

February 11. Finished eating and made a bottle of hot cocoa for the sleeping bag. Put on all my dry layers and prepared for a cold night. Just as I had grabbed my pen to work on a little Su Doku I heard my stomach rumble and felt that well-known feeling of having to go - having to go right NOW! Life sure ain't that easy out here because first I had to dig out my rain gear (had I gone out in the snow with the layers I was wearing right then they would all have gotten wet.) Then there was the task of freeing myself from the sleeping bag, putting on the rain pants and rain coat, the boots only partially got on while I checked for toilet paper in the pocket. Walking/running to the privy, while putting on gloves and trying to prevent too much snow from entering into the boots, as there were not enough time to put on gaitors - gosh, how far away can they put a privy? Finally reaching the much desired goal I brushed of snow from the seat, pulled down rain pants, fleece pants, and two layers of long johns, before getting to the last layer all the while doing a little dance and prayer - AAaahhh, made it in the last second! Phew, No, life is not always that easy out here.

Sly
02-22-2006, 13:35
LOL... Good work detective L. Wolf. Apparently the boys are making a killing "pissing on the public" and panhandling in Helen.

Maybe "Randy" can let us know how he feels about begging 50 miles into the trail?

Sly
02-22-2006, 13:42
I never said their behavior was acceptable. As a matter of fact, I condemned their behavior along with the slander included in the forum.

You did? Must have missed it.

mdionne
02-22-2006, 13:51
funniest thread yet!!!:banana

Joshua
02-22-2006, 13:53
Who are you to talk about integrity...

You have to be really ignorant to believe there is only one Joshua (Randy) who is on this site.

I am a 32 year Professional, with 4 children sitting at my Mac in Gainesville, GA wearing kakis and trying to keep up with this discussion.

Josh (Messanger) and Andrew (Braveheart) are on the trail.
I know the boys and talked by phone to Braveheart yesterday. They are both very remorseful and upset about their actions. Braveheart is a young man who needs a lot of coaching. I have tried to serve as a mentor in his life but it hasn't always sunk in his head. He is out there trying to grow up. No one starts the trail with it all figured out. That's why he is out there. I think he has learned tremendously from the incident.

He has had a lot of hurt in his life and not many great examples. He needs more good examples. If you run in to him on the trail. Ask him about the "peeing" situation and see what he has learned.

Fiddler
02-22-2006, 14:07
You have to be really ignorant to believe there is only one Joshua (Randy) who is on this site.
Hmmm. I just checked the members list and according to that, there is only one Joshua on WB. Maybe you know another place I could look?

attroll
02-22-2006, 14:12

I am a 32 year Professional, with 4 children sitting at my Mac in Gainesville, GA wearing kakis and trying to keep up with this discussion.

I know the boys and talked by phone to Braveheart yesterday. They are both very remorseful and upset about their actions. Braveheart is a young man who needs a lot of coaching. I have tried to serve as a mentor in his life but it hasn't always sunk in his head. He is out there trying to grow up. No one starts the trail with it all figured out. That's why he is out there. I think he has learned tremendously from the incident.

He has had a lot of hurt in his life and not many great examples. He needs more good examples. If you run in to him on the trail. Ask him about the "peeing" situation and see what he has learned.

I am not taking sides on this here. But I have to admit that you dig the hole deeper for yourself every time you post on this thread. I am not saying that you are the same Josh but you seem to convincing people that you are.

1. You are strongly defending what these guys did.
2. Your logging in from Georgia where they are know to be on the trail right now.
3. If you truly logged on as Josh that would be coincidental.

I could do some research and verify some of this but I am just and innocent bystander right now and wish to remain that way unless I have to step in.

Joshua
02-22-2006, 14:15
Hmmm. I just checked the members list and according to that, there is only one Joshua on WB. Maybe you know another place I could look?

Thanks for the attention to details. I feel better now.

Trail Yeti
02-22-2006, 14:24
No one starts the trail with it all figured out
What exactly does this have to do with urinating in/or out of a shelter? My 4 year old niece knows that there are certain places you use to go to the bathroom. I would also hope that Braveheart and Messenger have a Thru-hikers companion, or WF's book....both of which mention proper LNT principles for relieving yourself (and if they don't they should).

Hikerhead
02-22-2006, 14:31
I liked the explanation one of them gave.... I didn't pee inside the shelter, I peed from the inside to the outside....That guy must be packing a hose.

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 14:37

Joshua/Randy. I find it commendable that you are trying to help these boys. If you really want to help them, here is what you can do.

If they are out on the Appalachian Trail with no money, encourage them to come home - now (as in today). In fact, I suggest you get in your car and go pick them up. The trail is not a refuge from life. It is a microscosm of life. It requires $1500 - $2000 (at a minimum) for one person to successfully thru-hike. If they don't have the money, they should come home, work and save, and attempt the trail when they have the financial resources to do so self sufficiently.

If they do have money, tell them to stop panhandling - immediately. That behavior casts the hiking community in a bad light.

And lastly, I suggest you look up the meaning of the word libel. No one libeled those boys. Yes, some inappropriate things were said, but much of it was in jest.

Sly
02-22-2006, 14:43
I have to admit that you dig the hole deeper for yourself every time you post on this thread. I am not saying that you are the same Josh but you seem to convincing people that you are.

Yeah what are the chances of "Joshua/Randy" stumbling in to Whiteblaze to defend the actions of Messenger and Braveheart? You'd think that if he knew the boys he would have signed their guestbooks on Trailjournals.

Curiously, someone posts to Joshua's guestbook from Whiteblaze at 10:35 AM and "Joshua" happens to respond here, in a 1st time post, at 10:58.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 14:43

If you're not a hiker like you say then why have a trail name "Joshua"?

Fiddler
02-22-2006, 14:44
I liked the explanation one of them gave.... I didn't pee inside the shelter, I peed from the inside to the outside....That guy must be packing a hose.
Good thing he didn't have to take a dump. Wonder if he would have hung the other end out the window?

Joshua
02-22-2006, 14:56
Joshua/Randy. I find it commendable that you are trying to help these boys.

Thanks.
The boys have money but were trying to stretch their finances. When I asked Andrew why they were begging he replied. "We aren't real sure how much it is going to cost and so we asked for money." I replied - "If you need money call me or one of your other friends. No one is going to let you quit because of finances." Andrew said they were sorry for begging and wished they hadn't of done it. See their apologies on TJ.

About the peeing - He is very embarrassed and humiliated.
I told him that if they were going to do anything else stupid - DON'T put it on the internet for the whole world to see.

If you want to research me go ahead. I'm legit. I'm the one Andrew (Braveheart) stayed with before he left and I took him to Amacalola. See his journal at TJ. I'm in the pics.

Andrew (Braveheart) would be the first to admit he has a long way to go physically, spiritually and in maturity.

Thanks. Great Discussion.

khaynie
02-22-2006, 15:02
It's obvious that our new user Joshua aka Randy is not one Joshua sir pisses a lot. Randy only refers to himself as Joshua when he's amongst the trail community. Besides, Randy works in Gainesville uses a mac and wears Kakis. Isn't apparent that this is just one big concidence? C'mon peope!

rickb
02-22-2006, 15:06
And holding a sign begging for money in the first trail town they encounter? I've been reading trail journals for a couple of years and I've never heard of anyone brag about begging $60 in cash in their first town.

Sounded to me like they simply made a mistake in getting to a PO in time before President's day weekend.

Could be wrong.

D'Artagnan
02-22-2006, 15:08
Not trying to pile on here, but Braveheart's journal of January 27, 2006 states "I have sold my car, saved up enough money, I have bought the correct gear, but I still don't have a clue what I am about to get myself into." If that is true, I don't understand what would necessitate panhandling this early into their trek unless it was just to see if they could do it. Any thoughts?

As for Whizzer-gate, I think it showed poor judgment but that poor judgment has been acknowledged and an apology given. They're young and who among us didn't do at least one dumb thing in our youth? IMHO, this has been much ado about nothing. Flame on.

D'Artagnan
02-22-2006, 15:09
Too much time proofing and on the phone. Other posts before mine answered some of my questions. Sorry.

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 15:13
I told him that if they were going to do anything else stupid - DON'T put it on the internet for the whole world to see.

Well, if I was their mentor, I would have just left it at "don't do anything (else) stupid." Hopefully they won't. It sounds like they have some growing up to do. Maybe they'll be befriended on the trail by someone older and more responsible. Time will tell.

Glenn
02-22-2006, 15:19
I personally know Joshua aka Randy and it's NOT one the 2 guys on the trail. He is the one who drove the guys to the trail. I'd put money on the fact he is wearing kakis. I've been on this board a while and rarely post. Some hikers can verify who I am because my wife, daughter and I do the trail magic thing at Unicoi Gap.

Glenn

Alligator
02-22-2006, 15:52
Is Joshua/Randy transcribing for Josh/Messenger? Josh/Messenger misspelled his trailname messanger in his journal and so did Joshua/Randy in one of his previous posts. Is it it Messenger or Messanger? :confused: Just want to be sure who's who here.

Funny bit about the phone call impersonation. Amen!

TJ aka Teej
02-22-2006, 16:43
It's funny how "Joshua" morphed from:

Just an interested reader.
into a "mentor"!

I know the boys and talked by phone to Braveheart yesterday.

Has a trail name been decided yet? Howzabout "The PeeBrains":D

Tabasco
02-22-2006, 17:08
Has a trail name been decided yet? Howzabout "The PeeBrains":D

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are....

2Discover
02-22-2006, 18:17
Obviously the two hikers are amateures and in need of some "AT Family" help rather than slander. If this is the behavior of the "AT Family" then why would anyone want to be a part of it or support it.
If you seriously care about the trail and the community then support those who are trying it. Coach amateures rather than slander them.

I completely agree with your statements in this forum. After reading all the comments I found that the responses were just as disrespectful as the two hikers actions. I can't believe grown men are acting with such childish behavior (this goes for both parties). I am a hiker. I went to school in Outdoor education and environmental studies. So i know the savarity of their actions. I know it's affects on the environment, its affects on sanatary issues, and I know the importance on having good expadition behavior. However I still believe the reactions that these men recieved here and on their journals was completely uncalled for. I have read both the hikers journals and they have appologized for their actions. What is done is done. Was is right? No. Can it be changed? No. So I think it is time to just move on. It is time for other more knowledgable hikers to start mentoring and guiding these two hikers in the right direction, rather than being so degrading towards them. My challenge would be to mold these to men into as good a hiker as I am sure some of you are that commented, minus the somewhat crude attitudes.

Tabasco
02-22-2006, 18:32
Hmmmmmmmmm, another late joiner to the fray. Guessing that 2Discover is a relative or close friend. What a coincidence, you just joined WB today!! If that is the case, then it was YOUR job to mold these BOYS, not ours.

Maybe if they would stop editing their journals to remove the offending posts, and then stop removing the guest book replies that call them out for their actions, things would be different.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, which is a solid $ 0.00, would be for these youngsters to stop posting journal entries because their past actions have made them lightning rods.

I am sorry that they did something completely stupid and then bragged about it in a public forum. Having done so, then they should be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions. Unfortunately, in this case, the consequence is being ostracized by the Trail community. Having friends and family come into the Trail world and telling long time residents that we just need to get over their deplorable actions and accept them as good people just isn't going to cut it.

Sorry if you and your friends and family don't like or agree with this, but it was their actions that precipitated the entire unfortunate chain of events.

Skidsteer
02-22-2006, 18:34
Maybe they'll be befriended on the trail by someone older and more responsible. Time will tell.

Nice set up, Mowgli. Almost too easy but I nominate Minnesota Smith! I might even spend a night in a shelter to see that run-in!:D

2Discover
02-22-2006, 18:47
I quess I just believe in the good in people through mistakes and all. I do however understand the disapointment of the "tail community" Their actions were wrong. And whither i know them or not (not) does not change my belief on the uncalled for manner that these men were treated. This was just a forum that caught my eye as i was browsing and I was in disbliefe at the manner of comments concerning the issue.

Hikerhead
02-22-2006, 19:22
Nice set up, Mowgli. Almost too easy but I nominate Minnesota Smith! I might even spend a night in a shelter to see that run-in!:D

Oh hell ya!!! Let Smitty share all of that wisdom with them. Smitty and The Pissers. That would be fun. Kerosene, let's go do another leg!! ;)

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 19:25
Not to complicate things...but Kirk and Long haven't been posting much over the past couple weeks....could it be....nah...:-?

Skidsteer
02-22-2006, 19:38
I quess I just believe in the good in people through mistakes and all. I do however understand the disapointment of the "tail community" Their actions were wrong. And whither i know them or not (not) does not change my belief on the uncalled for manner that these men were treated. This was just a forum that caught my eye as i was browsing and I was in disbliefe at the manner of comments concerning the issue.

WB is not a closed club but rather a public forum made up of people who care about the trail to one degree or another. Having said that......it might help you to realize that some of the posters to this thread know each other personally, and many of the others know each other pretty well from exchanging posts on a variety of other threads for varying lengths of time( in some cases years ). Kind of like shooting the breeze with your buddies. It's easy to forget in the middle of an interesting or funny or informative or disturbing or light-hearted or inspiring or disgusting or maddening, etc., topic, that other folks are listening in. Think of it this way:

You go to a party as a relative stranger. No one there knows you.. They are laughing and sharing a story and you don't care much for the way it's being told. You say so and, since nobody there knows you, you get the hairy eyeball.

Certainly it's not a perfect analogy but perhaps you see the parallel.

This story will die out and those two boys will live through it, I imagine. I suspect they've already learned a valuable lesson and if they stick it out they'll no doubt learn many more:)

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 19:40
Smitty and The Pissers.

Sounds like a Rock & Roll band. I hear they do a great cover of this song;

http://www.asparagusproductions.com/index.htm#yellowsnow

ed bell
02-22-2006, 19:43
However I still believe the reactions that these men recieved here and on their journals was completely uncalled for... It is time for other more knowledgable hikers to start mentoring and guiding these two hikers in the right direction, rather than being so degrading towards them. My challenge would be to mold these to men into as good a hiker as I am sure some of you are that commented, minus the somewhat crude attitudes.

Let me be clear about something here. The members of this forum were unaware of these two until a post was made informing us of the journal entry. I feel safe saying anyone who read the entry was shocked and disgusted. Shorly after this thread was started, the journal was edited without a comment from either of the two. Given all this I can see why they were made fun of here. Once the apologies finally showed up, one of our members immediately made a note of it. If Josh or Andrew joined up here and asked for help with anything, I'm confident they would be. As for what has been posted over on Trail Journals, I can't speak for any of that other than to say I posted a positive note to each of them after all this went down. Any negative stuff there has been regularly edited out. What you have here EVERY post since the begining. Some humerous name-calling has happened, but hey, they had that comming. I sure hope they are tough enough to let that slide. Remember this is an open forum. We chose to allow people to speak their mind. There may have been one post that could be viewed as a threat, but I think it was made in jest. Other than that, I don't see any reason to feel the need to scold anyone here.

Jack Tarlin
02-22-2006, 19:56
Personally, speaking only for myself, I think there's been enough scolding.

Did these guys screw up? Yeah, and pretty royally, too. And I actually think the panhandling thing is more disturbing than the shelter stuff. I hate seeing hikers begging.

But here's the bottom line: We're talking about a couple of kids. Kids screw up. As do older folks.

They made some mistakes early in their trip. They've expressed regrets (which I believe are sincere), and I don't believe this behavior will be repeated.

So let's move on, and let these guys enjoy their trip in peace.

I'm not a very good Christian, but I this much I do know: There's only been one perfect person on this planet in the last two thousand years. It ain't these kids, it ain't their critics, and it sure in hell isn't me. Bottom line, is we ALL make mistakes and do stupid things. In the course of a thru hike, EVERYBODY does something boneheaded. When it happens, you acknowledge the error, you realize exactly what you did, and you learn from it. You'll probably make other mistakes as you continue; hopefully you won't repeat any of them.

So I hope these kids take this as a learning experience.

And now I think people should give them a break and let them get on with their adventure.

Speaking for myself, I wish them well.

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 20:00
So I hope these kids take this as a learning experience.

And now I think people should give them a break and let them get on with their adventure.

Speaking for myself, I wish them well.

Jack:

Agreed - 100%. But that Frank Zappa video in post #96 is priceless. Especially when you consider Smitty's "pet" peeves. ;)

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 20:01
MEN don't act like they did. Boys do.

Heater
02-22-2006, 20:04
Jack:

Agreed - 100%. But that Frank Zappa video in post #96 is priceless. Especially when you consider Smitty's "pet" peeves. ;)

Fortunately, the "lead-filled snowshoe" was too heavy carry in his pack. :D

Billygoatbritt
02-22-2006, 20:10
Their days are numbered on the trail. At the pace they are going, someone will catch up and enlighten them on their talents. I don't believe they will have what it takes.

Hikerhead
02-22-2006, 20:20
Sounds like a Rock & Roll band. I hear they do a great cover of this song;

http://www.asparagusproductions.com/index.htm#yellowsnow

:) And then Smitty can break into his sound of wisdom by Led Zepplin...."I don't know but I've been told, fat legged women ain't got no soul.."

Again I say, best of luck to all of them.

And Don't Piss In Or Near Any Shelters....you can can think about it....BUT DON"T DO IT!!

Peace out.

swift
02-22-2006, 20:24
I also do not generally post on this site but after 103 posts on this thread so far.... with a small number of exceptions you folks have managed to show how exclusive and mean-spirited the community interested in the Appalachian Trail can be. These are young kids, they got on the Trail not knowing many things about it including etiquette as so many of us did not when we first fell in love with the AT. It is a learning process. The one writing the journal has realized they did something wrong and has admitted it, apologized with no excuses and with a lot of class. They've learned something and they have a lot more to learn. I suspect some of us were also young and bad at some time and never admitted or had to answer for it. The sad thing is these kids have learned enough to know there are a lot of people watching and judging them. When I first decided to do the AT I didn't know about Trailjournals, Whiteblaze, trail angels, that there were so many other people sharing the same dream and I would be coming in contact with them so often. Quite a shock and an eye-opener.
I only post this because I've seen the wilting criticism from this site affect another hiker's decision to leave the trail. My advice to yall is: stop peeing by the shelter or I'll personally come kick your ass, and screw what anyone at whiteblaze has to say, if they are typing about you they arent hiking and armchair hikers just want to be you.

Swift

2Discover
02-22-2006, 20:30
MEN don't act like they did. Boys do.

I agree to that. what they did was very childish. However, I don't think that "men" should be so degrading towards others. I do understand that most of it was jesting, but we all, including myself must remember that this is a public arena of discusion. I wish everyone who has posted on the issue and the two hikers the best of luck in whatever adventure they are seeking. Lets stay possitve.

2Discover
02-22-2006, 20:38
I only post this because I've seen the wilting criticism from this site affect another hiker's decision to leave the trail. My advice to yall is: stop peeing by the shelter or I'll personally come kick your ass, and screw what anyone at whiteblaze has to say, if they are typing about you they arent hiking and armchair hikers just want to be you.

Swift

I completely agree. how aweful would it be for me to know that I was the person that distroyed another person's dream due to my degrading and negative words. No one has that right. If they do it agian I'll help you kick their butts, but I doubt that that will happen.

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 20:45
Give it a rest already. Most people wish these kids well. And everyone here has done things that they regret. Lets not blow this out of proportion however. What happens on the internet and what happens on the trail are two entirely different things.

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 20:46
RE: begging for money: Why did they need to wait for the PO to open? Isn't there a bank or Western Union in that town? Are they not aware that sending valuables like cash, credit cards, checks..etc. in a bounce box through the USPS is a bad idea? Other than begging, between the two of them, they must have been able to obtain some cash....

...unless they were afraid/embarassed to ask for help....I've been there before.

I hope they pick up the pace and start to make a real go of their trip....Kirky/Longy or not.

Get 'er done.

digger51
02-22-2006, 20:54
Once again I have to agree with Jack. Besides in a couple of weeks I will be out there and everyone will have someone else to laugh at.

Tin Man
02-22-2006, 20:58
Joshua/Randy. I find it commendable that you are trying to help these boys. If you really want to help them, here is what you can do.

If they are out on the Appalachian Trail with no money, encourage them to come home - now (as in today). In fact, I suggest you get in your car and go pick them up. The trail is not a refuge from life. It is a microscosm of life. It requires $1500 - $2000 (at a minimum) for one person to successfully thru-hike. If they don't have the money, they should come home, work and save, and attempt the trail when they have the financial resources to do so self sufficiently.

If they do have money, tell them to stop panhandling - immediately. That behavior casts the hiking community in a bad light.

And lastly, I suggest you look up the meaning of the word libel. No one libeled those boys. Yes, some inappropriate things were said, but much of it was in jest.

I agree. Perhaps a lesson in trail manners and common decency wouldn't hurt either. If they are too immature to understand the basics, maybe they should be told not to do anything that their mother would punish them for.

Panzer1
02-22-2006, 21:10
About the peeing - He is very embarrassed and humiliated.

Doesn't that advice amount to a "cover-up"??
Let them post.

Panzer

Panzer1
02-22-2006, 21:18
What is done is done. Was is right? No. Can it be changed? No. So I think it is time to just move on.

Actually it can be changed. They can go back to the shelter with mops and buckets and clean out the mess they made. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you pee in a shelter, won't that pee be there for a long, long time. Rain can not get in to wash it away. It will just sit there.

Panzer

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 21:23
When it warms up the porkypines will come to lick that salt lick.

ed bell
02-22-2006, 21:25
Actually it can be changed. They can go back to the shelter with mops and buckets and clean out the mess they made. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you pee in a shelter, won't that pee be there for a long, long time. Rain can not get in to wash it away. It will just sit there.

Panzer
I can understand how people are getting the story mixed up because the original journal entry no longer exists, but it was noted earlier in the thread that they urinated from inside the shelter to the outside. They did not urinate inside the sleeping quarters. One of them went through a hole in the floor and I believe the urine ended up at the front entrance to the shelter.

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 21:31
When it warms up the porkypines will come to lick that salt lick.

There are no porkys in No. Georgia.

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 21:34
Once... at band camp.....I took a hike into the woods with my flute....and I saw this little hut...so I thought: what a great place to...but as I got closer, this deer trotted up to the hut, so I stopped to watch. The deer peed and pooped right on the front of the hut.

I was a little put off so I went back to band camp...

LOTS OF THINGS PISS IN THE WOODS. Time to move on.

2Discover
02-22-2006, 21:37
Once... at band camp.....I took a hike into the woods with my flute....and I saw this little hut...so I thought: what a great place to...but as I got closer, this deer trotted up to the hut, so I stopped to watch. The deer peed and pooped right on the front of the hut.

I was a little put off so I went back to band camp...

LOTS OF THINGS PISS IN THE WOODS. Time to move on.

Dude that is great :) So funny but time to move one, i agree. haha

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 21:39
Dude that is great :) So funny but time to move one, i agree. haha
Move ONE or move ON? You're not advocating taking a dump in a shelter?

max patch
02-22-2006, 21:40
At the risk of adding something constructive to this thread.....

As I understand it the boys reached Helen over a long weekend when the banks/post office was closed and they had no money so they resorted to begging.

Whenever I was ready to leave one town I always got my money before I started hiking so I would have it when I reached the next town. I usually left town with $100 on me. No worries about hitting town on a weekend and being cashless. Also had money when unexpected delis and gas stations were within walking distance between towns. Having money on me meant I could immediately do laundry, eat, or whatever whenever I reached town. Of course I carried credit cards and an ATM card.

Not having read their, I wonder why the boys didn't use a credit card when they reached Helen. Or used an ATM card. Or stealthed in the woods around town. Or hitched back to the trail. I hope they are not planning on using only cash (not credit cards or ATMs) when they arrive in town.

max patch
02-22-2006, 21:55
When people ask me why I sleep in my tent rather than in shelters perhaps I'll just reference this thread...

What the boys did was wrong. They've apolgized for it. I think its time for this thread to die. I hope, although I suspect that I'll be disappointed, that this is the last post in this thread.

2Discover
02-22-2006, 22:06
Move ONE or move ON? You're not advocating taking a dump in a shelter?

sorry I ment "move on.." I'll never advocate depricating in any non appropriate place.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 22:08
I knew that. I forgot to put the smiley face at the end of the sentence.:D

2Discover
02-22-2006, 22:13
haha no worries man

Panzer1
02-22-2006, 22:13
When people ask me why I sleep in my tent rather than in shelters perhaps I'll just reference this thread...

What the boys did was wrong. They've apolgized for it. I think its time for this thread to die. I hope, although I suspect that I'll be disappointed, that this is the last post in this thread.
I think that the problem has been the cover-up, the removal of posts from trail journal, someone posing as someone else. My scolding from their guest book was just erased minutes ago. No, I'm more angry now that before...

Panzer the pissed.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 22:15
Use your cell phone to call someone who gives a s**t.:rolleyes:

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 22:19
I think that the problem has been the cover-up, the removal of posts from trail journal, someone posing as someone else. My scolding from their guest was just erased minutes ago. No, I'm more angry now that before...

Panzer the pissed.

Panzer,

C'mon, you don't have any "right" to post mean, nasty, or scolding comments in anyones guest book. My Mom was reading all my guest book entries as she transcribed my journal (below) in 2000. The same could be said for these boys. Although I didn't do some of the things these boys did, I was 38 at the time. I saw plenty of stupidity during my thru hike. This is nothing unique. Let it go already.

TJ aka Teej
02-22-2006, 22:26
...I don't see any reason to feel the need to scold anyone here.
Sometimes handing out scoldings (and giving praise) are exactly what forums like WhiteBlaze should be about.

Panzer1
02-22-2006, 22:27
Panzer,

C'mon, you don't have any "right" to post mean, nasty, or scolding comments in anyones guest book. My Mom was reading all my guest book entries as she transcribed my journal (below) in 2000. The same could be said for these boys. Although I didn't do some of the things these boys did, I was 38 at the time. I saw plenty of stupidity during my thru hike. This is nothing unique. Let it go already.

MOWGLI16,
My scolding in their guest book was no more "mean,nasty" than your scolding in your post #49.

Panzer

max patch
02-22-2006, 22:31
I saw plenty of stupidity during my thru hike. This is nothing unique.

Unfortunately, Mowgli speaks the truth.

I'd have to pull out my journal to get the speciifics, but I recall in one hostel in New England a thruhiker pissed from the second floor into the yard. This happened in full view of the neighbors who were enjoying their morning coffee on the back porch.

And on more than one ocassion I saw thruhikers, on cold and rainy nights, get up and walk to the entrance of the shelter and let it fly.

What happened at Springer was wrong. But its not exactly the first time something like this happened. At least these guys apologized.

Panzer1
02-22-2006, 22:31
Panzer,

MOWGLI16

upon re-reading your post #49, I think the content of your post was more mean and nasty the the post I made in their guest book.

Panzer

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 22:32
MOWGLI16,
My scolding in their guest book was no more "mean,nasty" than your scolding in your post #49.

Panzer

There is a BIG difference between Whiteblaze and the kid's Trail Journals. One is a public forum. The other is not. If it was a public forum, Leif & Zip wouldn't provide edit functionality for the ADMIN in the guestbook.

Chef2000
02-22-2006, 22:44
Thank you all for replying to my thread

Just for the record, since the original has been edited, what I posted in quotations was the directly copied from the now non existence trailjournals posting.

As a hiker/shelter maintainer I found their behaivor very upsetting, I am happy they have apoligised,even tho andrew lies in his apology by saying he only pissed out the window. the original text clearly stated andrew did it down a hole in the floor, then out the window.

Its like when you plead guilty to a crime, you have to say what you really did. I am holding judgement on these two.

Panzer1
02-22-2006, 22:48
There is a BIG difference between Whiteblaze and the kid's Trail Journals. One is a public forum. The other is not. If it was a public forum, Leif & Zip wouldn't provide edit functionality for the ADMIN in the guestbook.

Then let them leave the scoldings in their "guest book" instead of trying to rewrite history by deleting their own entries and the guests remarks. Leaving the guests remarks there is what allows these things to blow over. Deleting them just invites more comments.

Panzer

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 22:56
Then let them leave the scoldings in their "guest book" instead of trying to rewrite history by deleting their own entries and the guests remarks. Leaving the guests remarks there is what allows these things to blow over. Deleting them just invites more comments.

Panzer

For the record, I posted in Messenger's guestbook and the entry was deleted or never appeared. I tried to be constructive, no destructive. No biggee.

And I try not to be mean & nasty, but sometimes I fail. I'm human. Also, my sense of humor is a bit warped, or so I have been told.

Let it go.

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 22:57
How many times have you sat down on a rock or a grassy patch or on a dry dirt patch? Do you honestly believe that no animal has walked there? No deer, no mousy, no voles, no birds....THEY ALL PISS IN THE WOODS!

RE: the money thing: I too find it strange that they had no cash, no credit, no check book. If this is they're SOP, I think they may need a change of plans.

Hey guys: Carry some cash or credit.

Having said this, I don't think they really needed to beg...they could've humped it back to a shelter and tried to bum off their own kind...at least they'd've had water and shelter.....:-?

Heater
02-23-2006, 00:59

Panzer

I agree that the deletion of guestbook entries is really chicken...feed! :mad:
A completely cowardly response, IMO.

If they have a moderator that is deleting these messages from their "guest book" they my have never been seen the hikers themselves. In that case, the moderator (Joshua?) is not "helping" anyone.

Perhaps your only alternative is to leave you comments in the "guest book" at some of the many Philadephia area shelters to make sure you are heard.

attroll
02-23-2006, 01:59
Ok, I have to step in here. I was letting this go because when the thread started it was not to mean spirited and there was some anger that people were expressing and that is understandable. Also it was a little humorous to see some of the responses. But it has gone too far. Jack is right. There kids and kids screw up and learn from there mistakes. No it was not right peeing out of the second floor of a shelter or down through the hole in the shelter. Panhandling was not a smart move either because it makes us all look bad. I don’t know the circumstances behind that other then they needed money. So hopefully they have also learned from this and will have money ready for each trail town next time they get to one. It sounds like these two individuals did not do there research about thru hiking the Appalachian Trail before they started. I can almost assure you they are not the only ones to ever do that. But we have all done stupid things in our lives at one time or another. I am not condoning there actions. This is why WhiteBlaze was created. To get the word out and help people prepare for a thru hike on the Appalachian Trail. If they had known about this web site and read some of the forums here then hopefully they would not be doing what they have done and would have been better prepared. So what we need to do is get word out to people about the web site do that it will help prepare others and their thru hike. I have to agree with Swift now on this too. We have turned this thread into nothing but criticism and we are all family here. I think we have done enough scolding and with what has been posted here word will most likely get up the trail and I am sure that it is something they will never live down. As someone said they are already pretty embarrassed about it. So you can imagine how many times they will here about it. I wish them nothing but luck on their thru hike and we should all support them. How many of you have not lived the dream yet? I know I have not but only have four more years to go to accomplish my dream. We should not make them feel bad enough to want to get off the trail. We should encourage them and point out there mistakes.

Let’s not carry this any further. I think enough has been said. Let us let it lie now.

Maybe I should close the thread it is not being constructive anymore so I think I will.