PDA

View Full Version : Gordon's Sheep and Goat Spray

The Old Chief
09-12-2018, 13:12
Found this today at a local farm supply store. The main ingredient is permethrin at a .5% dilution and the other 99.5 % is inert ingredients. It can be bought for around $13.00 for a gallon. The exact same mixture is used for Sawyer insect repellent sold at Walmart for about $10.00 for 12 fl. oz. Has anyone used this product for use on their hiking clothing?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-goat-and-sheep-spray-ready-to-use

Alligator
09-12-2018, 14:38
Finally! I'm tired of all the sheep and goat bites. Especially the goats, always manage to get through the goat netting on my tent.

Crossup
09-12-2018, 14:52
If you're at the farm store, dont mess around...you can get 40% permithrin for the same price as 0.5% Sawyers. Dilute the 40% to 0.5% as you need it, it stores well long term. Despite urban legends and logic like "its nerve poison for bugs so it must be bad for people', its safe to handle- just take the normal precautions like gloves and rinsing splashes off you skin and there wont be any unwanted contact in the first place. It ends up costing only a couple bucks to do an entire season of gear treatment.

grubbster
09-12-2018, 18:20
All these products are not the same. Make sure this is water based and not oil based. You do NOT want to use the oil based stuff.

gpburdelljr
09-12-2018, 19:07
All these products are not the same. Make sure this is water based and not oil based. You do NOT want to use the oil based stuff.
According to the following link, Gordon’s Permethrin 10 Livestock and Premise Spray (concentrated) contains petroleum distillates. See page 3.

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/002217-00853-20130129.pdf

TexasBob
09-12-2018, 19:54
at last a product specifically designed for us old goats.

methodman
09-12-2018, 20:40
The Gordon's Goat and Sheep Spray ready to use does not mention petroleum distillates in the SDS. The Gordon's Permethrin 10 did mention petroleum distillates in the SDS. That leads me to believe that the goat and sheep spray is the same as the Sawyer's. I will use it but you do what you think is best.

The Old Chief
09-13-2018, 09:29
The Gordon's Goat and Sheep Spray ready to use does not mention petroleum distillates in the SDS. The Gordon's Permethrin 10 did mention petroleum distillates in the SDS. That leads me to believe that the goat and sheep spray is the same as the Sawyer's. I will use it but you do what you think is best.
Exactly. The ingredients in the Goat Spray are the same as Sawyers bought at Walmart. I've used the Sawyers and have never noticed any petroleum odor. I'm not smart enough to figure out the right amount of 40% solution to put in a gallon of water to soak my clothing, so I guess I'll just stick to spraying every so often.

Crossup
09-13-2018, 11:40
Not trying to push an agenda, just like to be helpful when it comes to saving money on things with huge convenience markups. As mentioned above you want water based, it should mix up looking milky.
Figuring dilution ratios can be confusing but with Google it does not have to be.
I mix up a quart and put it in the Sawyer sprayer so no soaking.

Old Grouse
09-13-2018, 12:25
I was going to add some ovine humor but I'm too sheepish.

methodman
09-13-2018, 20:15
Unless I missed something, the goat and sheep spray is already the same strength percentage as the Sawyer, so you can spray it the same as the Sawyer( no mixing).