PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Hiker Possibly Killed by Cougar

gpburdelljr
09-13-2018, 15:25
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/09/hunt_for_killer_cougar_in_oreg.html

Berserker
09-14-2018, 10:12
What I found interesting in that article is that it insinuates that they don't know for 100% sure it was a cougar, but yet they are currently out hunting and will kill all cougars in the area hoping the DNA of one of them matches the DNA of the suspected cougar that attacked the woman. Am I missing something here? Seems like a knee jerk reaction considering they apparently don't have all the facts. Either the article is inaccurate or they are jumping the gun.

My condolences go out to the victim's family.

HooKooDooKu
09-14-2018, 10:19
What I found interesting in that article is that it insinuates that they don't know for 100% sure it was a cougar, but yet they are currently out hunting and will kill all cougars in the area hoping the DNA of one of them matches the DNA of the suspected cougar that attacked the woman. Am I missing something here? Seems like a knee jerk reaction considering they apparently don't have all the facts. Either the article is inaccurate or they are jumping the gun.

My condolences go out to the victim's family.
From the point of view of public safety... no they are not jumping the gun.
If they wait to hunt for the cougar, it's more likely the cougar "will get away". The article already explains holding any cougar they might capture is not practical, and cougars are not an endangered species. When you then add that cougars don't exactly live in dense populations, it makes sense that in trying to protect the public, they would kill any cougar in the area until they find the (likely) cougar responsible.

Berserker
09-14-2018, 10:31
From the point of view of public safety... no they are not jumping the gun.
If they wait to hunt for the cougar, it's more likely the cougar "will get away". The article already explains holding any cougar they might capture is not practical, and cougars are not an endangered species. When you then add that cougars don't exactly live in dense populations, it makes sense that in trying to protect the public, they would kill any cougar in the area until they find the (likely) cougar responsible.
Ok, I'll buy that. I don't know a lot about cougars, but the fact that they are not endangered I reckon makes this ok...I guess. Only thing that still bothers me about it is that they suspect it was a cougar. I'm sure they have a pretty high confidence level from the injuries that it was a cougar, but killing cougars based on circumstantial evidence and not factual evidence still seems a little dicey in my opinion. But again, I don't know much about cougars, so maybe this is the typical response on the West coast to a suspected cougar attack.

JPritch
09-14-2018, 13:30
This seems to happen a lot after bear attacks. And from my memory, it seems they rarely get the actual bear involved in the attack, and some innocent bear gets 86'd.

HooKooDooKu
09-14-2018, 14:05
... killing cougars based on circumstantial evidence and not factual evidence still seems a little dicey in my opinion...
Sounds like their evidence is a bit stronger than "I think it MIGHT have been a cougar", but not quite strong enough to say "here's the proof it was a cougar".

And JPritch is correct about the assessment of bears... except I wouldn't say "rarely get the actual bear"... but he's definitely right that additional "innocent" bears get killed in the process.
As an example, if I recall correctly, I teenager was attacked in GSMNP while sleeping in a hammock a few years ago... at least two bears were shot and killed before the park service knew they had killed the "correct" bear.

Time Zone
09-14-2018, 14:30
As an example, if I recall correctly, I teenager was attacked in GSMNP while sleeping in a hammock a few years ago... at least two bears were shot and killed before the park service knew they had killed the "correct" bear.

If you're thinking about the father-son team from Ohio in 2015, the kid wasn't killed, but was mauled pretty skillfully. Dad fought off the bear, they hiked out, and the kid survived.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-details-moment-bear-pulled-hammock-head/story?id=31673101

Your broader point is fair, though.

Time Zone
09-14-2018, 14:32
Ah, my bad. Read that wrong - you only said a couple bears were killed (rather, two). Sorry 'bout that!

gpburdelljr
09-14-2018, 14:54
....... the kid wasn't killed, but was mauled pretty skillfully......
I assume “skillful” was some kind of autocorrect, but if not, what is a “skillful” mauling.

HooKooDooKu
09-14-2018, 15:45
Yea, the point about the Ohio father-son story was that there was only one bear that attacked, but at least two bears were killed... obviously one of the two bears was "innocent". I'm sure there's other similar stories when the park service has determined that a "problem bear" needed to be put down.

And unless something changes in the current story, the only recorded fatal bear attack in GSMNP so far is the lady that was killed in 2000 in the Elkmont area of the back country.

Maineiac64
09-14-2018, 19:01
a lot of innocent bears are killed by hunters each year, so they aren’t going to worry about an extra bear or two when it comes to public safety. They could tranquilizer them though.

MuddyWaters
09-14-2018, 19:07
The park killed two when the AT hiker in tent was attacked and bitten a couple years ago.
DNA showed neither was guilty.

gpburdelljr
09-14-2018, 19:24
This thread is about a possible cougar attack.
The thread about a possible bear attack is here:
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/130713-Bear-Euthanized-in-GSMNP-After-Body-of-Missing-Hiker-Found/page3

MuddyWaters
09-14-2018, 19:49
This thread is about a possible cougar attack.
The thread about a possible bear attack is here:
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/130713-Bear-Euthanized-in-GSMNP-After-Body-of-Missing-Hiker-Found/page3
Its called thread drift...
But the line is about killing animals that were innocent. Bears just examples.

gpburdelljr
09-14-2018, 20:08
Its called thread drift...
But the line is about killing animals that were innocent. Bears just examples.
I know what thread drift is, but if people want to change the subject they should start a new thread. The title of this thread isn’t Killing Animals that are ‘Innocent’. Feel free to start one.

MuddyWaters
09-14-2018, 20:25
I know what thread drift is, but if people want to change the subject they should start a new thread. The title of this thread isn’t Killing Animals that are ‘Innocent’. Feel free to start one.

And this has nothing to do with appalachian trail, nor was it in the straight forward forum

gpburdelljr
09-14-2018, 20:43
And this has nothing to do with appalachian trail, nor was it in the straight forward forum

Whoops, I put it in the General forum, thinking that was for general non trail specific topics. I still think people should stay on topic, especially when it is easy enough to start a thread specifically about a topic they are interested in, rather than going off topic. But, I suppose some people are incapable of staying on topic.

To get back on topic, does anyone have any comments about the possible cougar attack (not bear attacks, or attacks by any other animals).

Five Tango
09-14-2018, 21:26
Here's a comment-If the biker or the hiker had carried some sort of weapon there is a good chance they would have survived.My 4 inch Mora does not weigh much and might have fit the bill.So the question in my mind is "why would anyone go out in cougar country totally defenseless?"

TNhiker
09-14-2018, 21:31
Here's a comment-If the biker or the hiker had carried some sort of weapon there is a good chance they would have survived.My 4 inch Mora does not weigh much and might have fit the bill.So the question in my mind is "why would anyone go out in cougar country totally defenseless?"

How you know that she wasn't carrying a weapon?

MuddyWaters
09-14-2018, 21:49
Whoops, I put it in the General forum, thinking that was for general non trail specific topics. I still think people should stay on topic, especially when it is easy enough to start a thread specifically about a topic they are interested in, rather than going off topic. But, I suppose some people are incapable of staying on topic.

To get back on topic, does anyone have any comments about the possible cougar attack (not bear attacks, or attacks by any other animals).
Backpackers arent usually attacked.
Cats attack stealthily from behind, and go for the neck of their prey
Most efficient energy expenditure for predator.
The typical pack, prevents the cat from seeing hikers necks

Dayhikers and UL hikers with tiny packs, may not be so fortunate.

Five Tango
09-14-2018, 21:51
How you know that she wasn't carrying a weapon?

Actually,I do not know that she wasn't carrying a weapon.However,I do know that here in Georgia in the last 6 months there was a rabid coyote killed by a hiker with a pocket knife and somebody's granny in North Georgia literally strangled a rabid bob cat that attacked her.Therefore,I have drawn the conclusion the hiker either did not have any effective means of self defense or perhaps no means of self defense at all as so many hikers I know carry absolutely nothing for self defense.Having seen a really large bob cat a couple times,I can't bring myself to join the "no weapons" club.

MuddyWaters
09-14-2018, 22:06
Actually,I do not know that she wasn't carrying a weapon.However,I do know that here in Georgia in the last 6 months there was a rabid coyote killed by a hiker with a pocket knife and somebody's granny in North Georgia literally strangled a rabid bob cat that attacked her.Therefore,I have drawn the conclusion the hiker either did not have any effective means of self defense or perhaps no means of self defense at all as so many hikers I know carry absolutely nothing for self defense.Having seen a really large bob cat a couple times,I can't bring myself to join the "no weapons" club.

Not quite the same as 120-150 lb cougar landing on your back suddenly, knocking you to ground, and clamping its jaws into your neck before you know whats happened. Then its going to shake you to break your neck.

Not simple to attack something on your back when your face down .

TNhiker
09-14-2018, 22:17

Did you read the article from the link the OP posted?

said that she fought her attacker.....

Five Tango
09-15-2018, 08:28
Did you read the article from the link the OP posted?

said that she fought her attacker.....
Yes,I read it.It said she fought but that does not mean she fought with anything more than bare hands.Look,I am sorry this happened and a lady died.My only point is that people should at least consider carrying something with them in the event they should need it.So many people I know carry nothing at all.

Five Tango
09-15-2018, 08:44
Not quite the same as 120-150 lb cougar landing on your back suddenly, knocking you to ground, and clamping its jaws into your neck before you know whats happened. Then its going to shake you to break your neck.

Not simple to attack something on your back when your face down .
I thot you said in post #20 that backpacks protect hikers necks?So I am left to conclude that it was a frontal assault since there was evidence she fought back.We don't know if she had a weapon for self defense or not or if she had time to use it.It was a tragedy and my heart goes out to her loved ones.I only commented because people need to consider what preparations they might make should they find themselves in similar circumstances.

MuddyWaters
09-15-2018, 08:53
I thot you said in post #20 that backpacks protect hikers necks?So I am left to conclude that it was a frontal assault since there was evidence she fought back.We don't know if she had a weapon for self defense or not or if she had time to use it.It was a tragedy and my heart goes out to her loved ones.I only commented because people need to consider what preparations they might make should they find themselves in similar circumstances.

She dayhiker most likely
Found 2 mi from her car

Not a backpacker

Backpackers have an inherent deterent to attack
Because cat cannot see their neck from behind

While it certainly could happen
Predators do not normally attack prey head on

They live by expending minimum energy, because many pursuits are fruitless. In many cases, the prey is faster or more agile or can run farther and predator loses a drawn out pursuit.

Which is why surprise attack from blind area is method.

rickb
09-15-2018, 09:55

The number of cougar attacks is relatively small:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Seems like a disproportionate number of the attacks were perpetrated against children or women (who might be assumed to be of relatively small stature), with recent attacks on a couple of mountain bikers being noteworthy.

Your point on not being defenseless is well taken, however. There are other risks to be considered as well.

Five Tango
09-15-2018, 10:05

Seems like a disproportionate number of the attacks were perpetrated against children or women (who might be assumed to be of relatively small stature), with recent attacks on a couple of mountain bikers being noteworthy.

Your point on not being defenseless is well taken, however. There are other risks to be considered as well.
Maybe I am hyper sensitive to the personal defense issue since a high school class mate of mine was murdered on a trail in Georgia.(not the AT btw)Bad things happen to good people all the time.

rickb
09-15-2018, 10:16
Maybe I am hyper sensitive to the personal defense issue since a high school class mate of mine was murdered on a trail in Georgia.(not the AT btw)Bad things happen to good people all the time.

Agree 100%.

With regard to the AT, more thru hikers have died at the hand of a complete stranger (5 or 6) than from lightening, snakes, bears, hypothermia , drowning, or falls combined.

It has always stuck me as odd why so many look to understand and mitigate the risk of the latter, but wish to deny and ignore the risk (small though it may be) of the former.

zelph
09-15-2018, 14:32
In other countries a mask is worn as a deter ant:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4btORBCBPTl0Muo6xDNu00FSj-OuRQ-h4-xmvzm-yWLkVavpAhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPTmHa5ktK0CrE4OZFFTGh6LHrB2grp R3ddYWdS4NJ4MQJPP1Chttps://whiteblaze.net/forum/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAkGBwgHBgkIBwgKCgkLDRYPDQwMDRsUFRAWIB0iIiAdHx 8kKDQsJCYxJx8fLT0tMTU3Ojo6Iys/RD84QzQ5OjcBCgoKDQwNGg8PGjclHyU3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nz c3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3N//AABEIAFoAhQMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAbAAACAgMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEBQMGAAECB//EADwQAAIBAwMCBAQEBQMBCQAAAAECAwQRIQASMQVBEyJRYQZxg aEUMrHBByOR0fAVM1JiFiQlQnKCouHx/8QAGAEAAwEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQIDAAT/xAAhEQACAgIDAAIDAAAAAAAAAAAAAQIREiEDMUFRYRMigf/aAAwDAQACEQMRAD8ABRzTPu6fRBLFkmaVbKxHDhFPPIF /wAtBTy1UUviq8rCJMlxYg5Jsvvttn050aKmCohV52kgV3GwWUC 9s5vnkW0HW0s7VEsVlSOQgzyvcEANt3N3JuP8zrji900I0pA9X UlE270l8UE CWHmYAKcAc lrXudB1DzQqTUx Iuy4F7gA/8va5409joaKjFSwMLJExdXXyMpvx5u35b2ucfPQVXQsYZZoZry La8bC9kvcEHv3 3toqd6BikhFG4mqIk/wBj8RMqARLtUFmHbPF/X7ac9Wp mUNakFE0zhKfcRJtPmvzi3vyO3pq1/Df8OqWsaj6p1iqvCUEq0USZNxgu/YcYH9cnQPxJ07pnTl6zPRK8NZBkPJIrB1VQ1je5zf25HpfVeSF JNluKKnFxS2K4Oh08VEtTVVUUbOhkDAFypA4NsnG73wBjXT/APemLGIiWNQBtYATEAWBa/Hz/rxqfp8v4b8M88auwbzwMPyhrXvc54P9eNRiRZFqZjTxRwFxG38 uxNhcE5uSR9PbnXG4yvZBoI6ZW D4rVsCxiYFVlTueLfcf0OiKFGqukzRASmLbsMm3DebBz3tuGOx J7arVFLUwdSH4WLdAymULfAJJGcYwTbVk6dU B06VEjA3sfDSx8t /FxbN8 3c3fk/V7KQW9kcy08FAss6u00jWWUtuH5rceo9ccailii/lNZmQpdXYKBwSSeOBn6hZesy07vCYxURiEFVkjXbF5sgEe1sdr a1/q8dTXRPuWEsbPESE2Dac8d7W oxi hHhb2NjojqemIR4Iikd2XdUTNEG2jdgAj8otY35/TUISGgop2r2MhZ03IbXbaQQD7FrY7hffVsq kmGFVpJIJRKboFlYkLi7G3Atk88686 L56hZ4Yd4LLYSKqlcm1j/8AHn211cMZJ/sJiaeObq3VXKzCBrF9/B5GB7nRUNDS0tLGlJCrMT/NkI3MxvwDbGQe/b31B8PSShZ6os20yLE5IwBnPzvb7ntpvTUsMU8QqqiNlkO8KVY XFh9uO/bR5JNsboVVjVTOGppXTFm8PIv6Zt69vXWab0cCRIzmicl2/LvFhgHG6/N76zSG0wyOAwb5FR3klO0sg80d7YFr5yTzf6cL3kWIKJo2mikv u82w7r837X/b66d1CPMxp4BudhujGcGwNh37D mg6rpkTzLTtI/iOyr4xt4a3W5uL4s1v199Ko slZW6rxBPD JkmmpWHlS 0WJz6ZyT9uLWanqcfhyBRUtTi3mmYAKB UY/8uPXi3fWL0qCW8JkDxC9mVOObcfS/wDT31xSdAqJ3JgMrxkhhLswFubbsf8A59dVxT7GXR6r0KrWfp8 tfP8AyI4iqBCLZCLYfLjjUlR8N9O690 CerkkAnRUlWJNqyg5scnI4BN7W9tUmnqhJ8LdcqI5ZBEZ18ufK 6lV/YjF Bq60dVOlBHGRs8OFUCA9wOPsddU3bx8DBYLL0p3xhHSdL6jJSR Tt4chQCaQBiAW2kn5Z4t ut9c/AUBpaONZgs6vEhl2lxIb8le3JwQPlfR8vwpW/Fk0krvDDRgGNpZje bkKvft6abT/w2UrER1uaSWJB4fiUyGx7nFje2M3NtcfJx3P6OiGH43fZ5pIsc E4hWSFYww2hQeMeh9L64TrUgjAhZtyFTHsUWUjHvfJX9NW/q/wAOtQUhqRFI5gC cKNubi9rXAx9/TVIaW7EeAofaNj3IFuSR v0GtKGTeiFo7hqpVjaKVkKbyzCQFib5wcXAyOc3 glHT2rbyVG1iH/ADE7LEi2cYOBj1 t5HnV1cIqnfIHDE3IO5hj52OffRi1EcUJh2NJDILhJfKSM8cZ/udK7XQHIAqaKXp86mgkMakkiItuF/RScj0/y2lVRN/4bVVNbUCWpSpLpFJe6ACwFv27W erv0 needpGVI4185iLbV4G488AgE vvbVc OOiSUtLJVqGdJTZnJvuPY/UatxyfoVvQm Dlm6jLVwLt8Mjc4cbhkNjkW751Y5InarSnga7RgmUhRgHzC bj6 2kf8OYjJ MUeJtkkhQ7DYjJz9NX54KejaGnUFWia0rxgZUj19beb5qNaejW IHjMUUTPMyF1vtKi/zI 3J41mnPV k1k7wv0mnpagiO0xaQRru9Rfnn7DWtTTQLF85mklVVYuoiLYQj aT9 O2frrmtpQse0vUOyKbKtM3IHrxn3I1Z0SplxHCWlKIu/eDhcEsL5OBz/fRM1MzztDFSxeGTv8AzEi54FiLH145He2qb8DSopcX4aJAH/EtJt2lNu0AC1icYOT3xYe mtLWf6X1Gmno6c/7bbYol3bla2DjNxa5Bt 7Kf8ABy1MhXp0LoVKO8Sg3sBnIPAHb7ca7WooDD4TxERG5sXPn F8cW/TQab2HVlT6xSdc6d01IKkoafqIapRIU2qJXY3S5ze572 WNMB8YN06FESetlqETZK6QxgO/BsLjH fPfxN1SqrKmioxOUSRkcXBAjbcQMDvgZ WqF1GaeeZ1QHcznagHJvj66vwq7yF5uVxxxrZ7/USVHSqPo9Nt3vP5Sb/mcgubeud2p o9QqYxHNH5zZiEWxyhB/Q3 mvMfh/qQpPiGgg2TSw0MDOII3/wByQ2A2g4U5/oDr0DqnW1hpovH6VU07qwmicglUa1iL7bEEXx39tSavZZJuWK7 K98Y9c/HdNjTpz KTv/E722oSpyubXIv64xa qZNTL44nlnaXCqQlwRjHbjvftfvfTutenk6k89IiRU00waNTYh HIUOBbtYj6HREsKtPZpVABwy7TnBN/f9daMvGLzcWLorcRl3/iEsiLYW2kXFze1/pfUonIjEbqxWMFgWPlB77bdsX5HAPzaVdHDHWU8cDOkjB5HawB IHHHFza tP0yN4IFciQh2X8PfbfgkAk2FwDmwvf5a2rIuDBo1RV2K3kR/MpNyeLDjN888jGuPirqk1d0p6ZjE64Ysb7sZNiRyDg5PzN9GQ0 UtOWmfp/ixFi5xGNlzwTzbFre/tpP8QBY4908Lx7ybb3xewBA78ftrLsamhL8JVf idQmpq1GQSkK6Mp3LexH7atEM0srB4axBHIXZY7gjd3uCOf/ALzzqpfCvg/9paes6hNKsEc2 Xw97O3Nxdbm54 urJUeAnU6g9McBmmOyMKweLjBJ5N837aedN0Bq9loSorVp0akr ViuxBK ZSoA22vc2zfgc8ntvSCg6xUx KZaV5EdrpvmCED6c9s63qWLDcS 9NlpVk2KEQElbbrFhm4CgYHftyNG1lJ0ypBk8BWBW14ztN 3b1xz66GDKzCJ0BLG7xtH5VB g4vbHr31PHTNMSipYEA/mN/W2b2H9tbrQ6QHN0vp9IjzTNUrGqs1gbg5HII9b/5wrY0quyeJK20Eoz7jtBObra/00x/0kswVZ2TeCxY7V9Bkd7g/T66WVfRqqkVmaqihjd7lWvYnt7AnOqR32xGvoWdQ8Cn6j0Sojm ims8iuFUrfynOfn9u2NUKgjmk6jBOIZJPCqEdxY9mHOrLX01Ql ckrM143uJohvMh74Pqb5v340D0Wavg3xyQlI5Sd0jWNyfN/ny07uCbQFBcso26oZ/wAPaQyfFfUK6cfyYYmTJt5mK2 ynVg6x8Y1NLWPBRyyqI8fmurEds6W9Jmj6b02okCBTNKbvc3so x vbXHxzMH6bQVSU/hFGZHuwLXIBsbDkG/1vpVbSsWdKbQHUVrdSdJ5THE7zgkhQtibDcT9f8tpfV1j0cMYd vEmLknxBbe1z5lGD3xfGO/GjP4cdY6GYJOnfE1LTN4jlqermUeRyfysT XIw3Hrqf4mo6fp/W2gEQWlrUBj4PmANwDjzC5sL2P0y/4mnYznaUWJqKYpULPTrJJ4hK7mktcc2vew59fTvpqWopLTiYCc IWIiQllYknNwDbJv9BbS6VoTIxJPgR7REWBLEXv8r/O/76ngc0NXBJSSJtUHdKACGuDm3/ut9L2J0rgZTrRC3UZYRU7JJPEksjobgJbP6jnkW99BuaqWITVU RCP5EPltg8beL8ZPtppVyColdYWQyXC7ghUkjF7Akev cxT7JFhhIlEhCr4Yxub2t3450VEDdkVJ0KppeoO4pY92wFizI9 CCNpIFrHIte3OmM1DPdV/BQovMjRsQzHFzg/v3PtdOVaIh4wI2yQVI2Ywfp20R4zvEd0swlK7wxsqkfLm/B9LDSyix00HU7VNM8gUIjE2Zpo/EDG5OLk8X9udZoqk6lHIGbxqcSH87bLq3Nre399ZpN/AcYnpcyJEhIqHEQJIucDvi/YagR7ysGjjQNGGvv3A2Ob8eg0NvgV9pMiKt9xuVAbk /f56lcqsTeIRGSCykNcleBnjOcfLWoJxN1BobyRqXQEAjdhSbmx 7DQVf1OSrpGiqYWEQOVYZuPW1j/bR6okMChpUjgWw28C4Axa47E8D mhK ghqAkZqqenEbM3mHB73AFz87D58aZV6LK/Cq1xNQrxI7K 3 cN/wDum5IsNxtn09 ONBUdH4c9qgzw GwazqdgYkixPqL99NVp45pty1MW13IikXG9gOE Qv8A10qr omjqFSSpP4iUj W0hOFxb07DtfVO1RNNxdhHS4iqQfjnUoszyJuAXelwQbfIaa/HdV0QfC1kkDiYq8AUEv4lvbGbnJNrX741UurbuqRNFNVGeMud1 oyxNv N OfT1 WiOo0jt8PU8AUkU7 GnlI5sBg54I1LmeFIpwcS5JSkxN1T4Wra3psVRTwyCdYlZohCV ViRe1yRxf0 dudCdGqOq1SQ0HVUl/CQEbJJ4yPBAzY4ue3rb5ati1NdLBMZ4i9MwuAoZMng8 a1r27aWS1UtYI6mnSJhMwLXnUEW3Dg55K2t6HHpfL7J/wKdenxSs4rg7IQRvgazXJxbucHuNCVCGCBDVRug3tvLIQeAQCu Nvrf/q1uNZaiiFMEi3xvd973LFhjGCOOPtoY0rojrt2uciJlB/LznkcnFh9xrWCjlmRUDCQ F5SLyAu1x6A39uNbpI55qhYyLMHA8QS7VjxyWHHF7 x kRgkkUSSup3kqLsecX/AFGfb21I/TqlP5pv/wATKT5LgE2HrwPt21tfIFoMnmjoYmmSYsCyr4Y5cdmuzY7flHc 8cldPXiYyxwU6SgjGwFQMjJxci9vTWeBDMdsrDa0TOAASbgbvQ 3yb2vyflqFaKOVGc7IxGGfZIMgCy9 eeLaySGshrFmgkHjUccW4YVbXxzdb3X62vrNY9PCQhadci6/msF4A49j9LazTJIW2e6iCnSQjcqrfKWXzNYcfQZA9/e01HOs7MtvCcAGMPAVDLgHFgSfW PS2uKtQkZjQBUcEuowGJ38jvpR1t2hlSGFjHEIoyEQ2AyO2uai 6HQkgDSHx5ZmAAukykKwyRgelri9sHULbGip5BIHpQ998sfiEE HFiliD73PPppJ8KgVDDxwJN8km7fnd57Zv7Y046lS01FUoaKni pzLURmQwoE3k2uTbnS1YbNS1olkDRSxzusJ8ojDeGxa9rWte6g 2vi4uLaWV3T/HpJpPxRlqA588aldxP5gc8m5HH66cSxovUOoOqKHvH5gM8L/c/11DTOxgYliSGGb/8Ap1kq2F/BQeqdIrIKaS9LURwgtJvKhbX9SAL98nQ6wdTn HaiOnvLK/hkKMtsBAPb2Fj/ANOvVtiFFJRSbHt76856nLJT9Yq4KeR4oVq4QscbbVAMYJwPUk nTtqSqgQTi3srlTWdYamSnnklTw12scCQfNjm3toel8NEeKdWO QWS9rrY xseM/PTrqHmkqScklrk99JulIrxSs6hmNwSRcn/LDV8VRzNvo0sU8U4llqRuBLMxezEtxwL3t9/lrapNFGJaWVPEsM3xa3b /wBtTiNFao2oo5GB21J04BIhsAXyA4xrJAtgMgqpBGp2ShVs5jH 58E YfXm376ynUGG8w2pCxPh2IDC3vjTKTCORgm9yPmdCT XrNRGuEVVso4GfTRxSZsm0RxlBm8qSBiqvGzFQCBuBAFrd /b0123hEJJ427a9iWtxbPH6a0SfDiyef3GiKgDZHgZVbmUUCyHw RMQw37gACWDC/31mh/zQwM2WaMEk8k6zTin//Z
https://jitendrakatha.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/article-2429236-182ccb2700000578-961_634x429.jpg

somers515
09-15-2018, 15:03
Agree 100%.

With regard to the AT, more thru hikers have died at the hand of a complete stranger (5 or 6) than from lightening, snakes, bears, hypothermia , drowning, or falls combined.

It has always stuck me as odd why so many look to understand and mitigate the risk of the latter, but wish to deny and ignore the risk (small though it may be) of the former.

I agree the risk is overall low and while you might be technically correct since you limit your assertion to AT thru-hiking, I believe those other threats you listed overall are a higher threat to backpackers: https://www.backpacker.com/survival/a-dozen-ways-to-die.

Also remember that being active is a lot safer then sitting on your couch every day or spending your days driving around in a car, so factor that in as well. I for one, try to understand and mitigate all the risks of any activity I'm doing but I certainly won't let the risks keep me doing stuff.

Finally I believe your main point is learn or think about self-defense and I certainly don't disagree with you on that!

JPritch
09-15-2018, 15:07
I'm loving those masks! Great idea. What is the predator they are doing this for I'm curious?

I'd love to see this on the AT. The trail names would be fun!

Two Face
Big Brother
Kris Kross

grubbster
09-15-2018, 16:14
I'm loving those masks! Great idea. What is the predator they are doing this for I'm curious?
Two Face
Big Brother
Kris Kross
I have seen these before. They are in India I believe and they critter would be a tiger.

zelph
09-15-2018, 16:47
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgBeH5fay0" target="_blank">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgBeH5fay0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgBeH5fay0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgBeH5fay0)

FOR the moment, the Bengal tiger has met its match in the two-faced human.
That finding was a matter of life or death in an experiment being conducted in the Ganges Delta in India, where tigers living under protection in a reserve had been killing about 60 people a year.
Arguing that this predator only attacks people from behind, workers in the mangrove forests started wearing face masks on the backs of their heads. Thus far the trick appears to have worked.
''For the past three years, no one wearing a mask has been killed,'' said Peter Jackson, chairman of the cat specialist group of the World Conservation Union. ''Tigers have been seen following people wearing the mask, but they have not attacked.''
By contrast, 29 people who were not wearing the masks were killed there in the last 18 months, officials reported.
Mr. Jackson, who was in Rome for a meeting of the conservation union's Species Survival Commission last month, brought an example of the trick that fooled the tiger: an inexpensive, rubber mask of a pale-faced human with a thin mustache. He said the Indian Forestry Service has issued more than 2,500 masks to workers who are among the 8,000 who get permits to go into the Sundarban Tiger Reserve. Stopping to Pray
Continue reading the main story (https://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/05/science/face-masks-fool-the-bengal-tigers.html#story-continues-2)

No one lives in the reserve of mangrove forests, cut by rivers and creeks on the border of Bangladesh and India, said Mr. Jackson, who knows the area well. But people on both sides go in to collect fish, wild honey and wood in the tigers' habitat.

Often they first stop to pray for protection at little shrines that rim the area because the large Bengal tigers are unusually fierce. While tigers elsewhere often ignore humans, the Sundarban big cat may attack on sight. Local people tell stories of how the tigers even swim out and sneak up on fishermen in their boats.
Since 1973, when the reserve was formed, scientists and forestry workers have tried to find ways to coexist peacefully with the 500 or so tigers and to stop them from thinking of humans as easy prey. They have put up human-shaped dummies of bamboo and mud, dressed in clothes with human scent and attached to electric wires, for example. Fences have been wired, and the tigers have been heard to scream from the electric shocks.
But it was a student at the Science Club of Calcutta who came up with the idea of using a human mask. The reasoning, Mr. Jackson explained, was that many species use a similar technique to fool predators. ''Butterflies, beetles, caterpillars have developed patterns that look like big eyes,'' he said. ''We know that this is a deterrent.''
Some local residents are said to be skeptical and argue that the clever tigers cannot be fooled for long. The director of the reserve has said he is worried because some men let the mask slip to the top of their head while chopping wood.
Among this year's victims, he wrote to the commission, were two fishermen who left their masks in their boats as they went ashore to cook their meal. One woodcutter was attacked from behind by a tiger when he sat down and took off his mask for lunch.

GruJL
09-17-2018, 07:57

...with recent attacks on a couple of mountain bikers being noteworthy.

It should be noted, since it was noteworthy, that the cougar does not have the capacity to recognize gender in the modern sense of the term.

rickb
09-17-2018, 10:55
It should be noted, since it was noteworthy, that the cougar does not have the capacity to recognize gender in the modern sense of the term.

Of course not.

Cougars probably can’t determine people’s age, either.

But would you not agree that the size (or apparent size) of the potential prey matters?

GruJL
09-17-2018, 11:14
Of course not.

Cougars probably can’t determine people’s age, either.

But would you not agree that the size (or apparent size) of the potential prey matters?

Yes. And in that case I would actually have thought the victim's size would have mattered (I think they were around 200lbs). It still does make it less of an unusual case and sort of a better fit to the normal profile.

BuckeyeBill
09-17-2018, 13:08

Is it possible that like most other animals, the cougar can associate certain odors/pheromones to different genders? I do know in the human species certain pheromones are released by bit genders during sexual acts that tell each participant that mating, for the lack of a better term, is allowed.

HooKooDooKu
09-17-2018, 13:18
What did I miss?

I don't see what gender has to do with cougar attacks.

rickb
09-17-2018, 16:43
What did I miss?

I don't see what gender has to do with cougar attacks.

Probably my fault for suggesting that size matters in an earlier post.

* Children are small (and were disproportionately represented on the list of victims)

* Men are big (and seemed to be under represented)

* Woman are somewhere in between (and were arguably overrepresented on the list of victims)

* A man crouched over to work on his bike looks small (but is an anecdote on the list)

Hopefully no large women or small men have been offended by my generalizations.

HooKooDooKu
09-17-2018, 17:43
Probably my fault for suggesting that size matters in an earlier post.

* Children are small (and were disproportionately represented on the list of victims)

* Men are big (and seemed to be under represented)

* Woman are somewhere in between (and were arguably overrepresented on the list of victims)

Looking at the Wiki article linked earlier on this page (from 70's to present), it seems like the number of "men" victims is about equivalent to the number of "women" victims.
There doesn't seem to be a significant statistical difference until you compare "children" to either "men" or "women".
So with an equal number of men v women victims, it doesn't seem to make sense to claim men being under represented, or women being over represented; and therefore doesn't seem to make any sense to argue if cougars can make tell the difference between males v females.

(Not being argumentative... I just feel like I'm missing something since the list of victims doesn't seem to match what everyone is talking about).

rickb
09-17-2018, 18:40
Looking at the Wiki article linked earlier on this page (from 70's to present), it seems like the number of "men" victims is about equivalent to the number of "women" victims.
There doesn't seem to be a significant statistical difference until you compare "children" to either "men" or "women".
So with an equal number of men v women victims, it doesn't seem to make sense to claim men being under represented, or women being over represented; and therefore doesn't seem to make any sense to argue if cougars can make tell the difference between males v females.

(Not being argumentative... I just feel like I'm missing something since the list of victims doesn't seem to match what everyone is talking about).

Good point.

Of all those whose age was identified:

4 Male
6 Female
14 Children

Small sample, and it is possible that women spend more time in cougar country as well.

nsherry61
09-17-2018, 22:06
. . . and it is possible that women spend more time in cougar country as well.
Yes, but women are less likely, not more likely to participate in outdoor activities than men (55% of women vs. 65% of men). Therefore, if we correct for the likely male vs. female exposure to cougars, the observed difference, in this admittedly small sample size, would suggest that there is even more difference between men and women that the data suggest.

MuddyWaters
09-17-2018, 22:15
Good point.

4 Male
6 Female
14 Children

Small sample, and it is possible that women spend more time in cougar country as well.

Children are:

A. Least aware of surroundings and danger
B. Slowest runners
C. Tastiest
D. All of the above

C4web88
09-18-2018, 00:00
Children are:

A. Least aware of surroundings and danger
B. Slowest runners
C. Tastiest
D. All of the above

You ain't right man hahahaha.

Shutterbug
09-18-2018, 11:36
Good point.

4 Male
6 Female
14 Children

I don't know why cougars attack some people and not others. The sample size is probably too small to draw any conclusions. My own experience is limited, but it is probably relevant. I have encountered cougars a number of times. Most of the time, it is only to see them running away. I feel blessed to see more than a fleeting view.

Only one time have I been stalked. My wife and I were hiking in Roxbourough State Park near Denver. I noticed a slight movement in the rock formation above our heads. When I looked closer, I saw that it was the tail of a full grown cougar. It was on some rocks overlooking the trail where he could have pounced on us. When we stopped and "looked big" -- (raised our hiking polls above our heads to present the largest profile possible), it backed off. We continued our hike, but every few minutes we would spot the cougar looking at us. It was always farther up the mountain and higher than we were. After about 20 minutes, we decided that we had hiked enough and returned to our vehicle. I never really felt threatened, but it does make one uneasy to know a big cat is watching you.

Over the years there have been a number of cougar incidents in the same area. Here is a story of one of them -- https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/11/i-fought-off-mountain-lion-experience