PDA

View Full Version : The best

JosephDurham
09-15-2018, 09:23
What would you consider to be some of the best titles for someone wanting to prepare for the AT? I just purchased the ALDHA Companion and the AT Data Book, but I know there have to be others out there that people recommend. Just curious what those would be.

Thank you,

Joe

colorado_rob
09-15-2018, 09:54
You're at the best "title", that would be Whiteblaze! Surf, learn and enjoy! I also enjoyed reading some books of accounts of folks' thru hikes, like Skywalker's books (AT, PCT, etc). check those out.

Besides "titles" to better prepare, also consider getting the Guthook app when you start your hike, I'm amazed at the usefulness of this app. Then there's AWOL, probably the #1 used paper databook used along the trail.

JosephDurham
09-15-2018, 10:09
You're at the best "title", that would be Whiteblaze! Surf, learn and enjoy! I also enjoyed reading some books of accounts of folks' thru hikes, like Skywalker's books (AT, PCT, etc). check those out.

Besides "titles" to better prepare, also consider getting the Guthook app when you start your hike, I'm amazed at the usefulness of this app. Then there's AWOL, probably the #1 used paper databook used along the trail.
Is that AWOL by David Miller?

ldsailor
09-15-2018, 10:22
Is that AWOL by David Miller?

Yes. The 2019 edition should be out around the beginning of the year; although it is unlikely to be much changed from the 2018 edition. Mostly the changes will be services added and deleted along the trail.

colorado_rob
09-15-2018, 11:01
Is that AWOL by David Miller?Yup, as Idsailor says. He also wrote a decent account of his hike titled "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail", or something like that. It was his trail name.

Venchka
09-15-2018, 12:57
Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary. Daypack. 2 liters of water. Walk until the water is gone. Repeat daily.
Wayne

Venchka
09-15-2018, 13:09
PS:
My copy of the Random House dictionary weighs 10 pounds. 2 liters of water @ 4.4 pounds and a daypack would be about 16 pounds. A good weight to start with. 2 hours. 6+ miles. Even a Geezer like me can manage that pace.
Good luck!
Wayne

JosephDurham
09-15-2018, 14:43
Thank you very much! I have been looking at that title but hadn’t purchase it yet.

Slo-go'en
09-15-2018, 15:19
"How to hike the AT" "The nitty-gritty details of a long distance trek" by Michelle Ray This an ebook which covers everything you need to know and then some.

DapperD
09-16-2018, 19:43
I have read quite a few books about hiking the AT and one I liked a lot was one I even wrote about on Whiteblaze was "The AT-How to Prepare for and Hike It by Jan Curran-https://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-How-Prepare-Hike/dp/1568250509

He is a retired Army Officer who decides to hike the AT in the course of two seasons. I know some don't like the book and some believe it to be dated, but it wasn't bad in my opinion and he gives some decent advise I felt. There are many good books about hiking the AT out there though. He also wrote a couple of others about his complete adventure.

illabelle
09-16-2018, 20:38
There's some fun books too, like A Walk in the Woods, or How to $h!t in the Woods.

JosephDurham
09-16-2018, 21:12
Good information. Thank you!

lonehiker
09-16-2018, 21:33
Map Man's AT hiking statistics and Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles. Both of which are available on Whiteblaze.net. Go to home then I think Map Man's article in under preparations. Don't remember exactly where to find the re-supply articles. Both are really all you need to plan an AT hike. Throw in one of the guidebooks (any works) and you are set. The forums are of marginal usefulness. I agree that "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" is a good account of hiking the AT. You can read, or watch, any number of blogs/vlogs but why over-inundate yourself with information. Get the basics then experience the joy of exploration.

capehiker
09-16-2018, 22:49
This is newly released book with up to date information by a couple who thru hiked in 2017. It’s an easy read and answers 99% of most questions asked.

https://www.amazon.com/Thru-Hiking-Appalachian-Trail-Tricks-Traps-ebook/dp/B07DMX4L93/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537152481&sr=8-1&keywords=jen+beck+seymour