PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike

mevet
09-22-2018, 09:44
I would like to section hike from Hanover to Glencliff. I do some dayhiking and can do 10 miles with altitude change. I average about 1-2 mile/hour. Can I do this section in 5-6 days?

mevet

u.w.
09-22-2018, 11:07
The AT distance calculator says that's ~43 miles (~give or take~ depending on where exactly you're starting/ending). So yes, based on what you said you can do and the distance. Yes you most certainly can. Perhaps in 4 to 5 days even, instead of 5 to 6 days.

I'd say it's a pretty "normal" stretch of AT. As they say, hike your hike. You know you and what you can and can't do. If you're enjoying it, you're likely doing it right. Enjoy it, and I hope you have some sweet weather for it.

u.w.

Deacon
09-22-2018, 11:51
That’s just about 42 miles, so in 5 days you should do this easily. The terrain is somewhat hilly and strenuous in places, but if you’re in reasonably good shape, you’ll have plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slo-go'en
09-22-2018, 16:00
It starts out easy enough and through some interesting woods as your still in the river valley for awhile. Then there is the climb up to Moose Mountain shelter and it gets real bumpy after that. Smarts Mountain and Mt Cube are good climbs. You'll probably want to plan on going shelter to shelter, of which there are 4 of and one campsite (shelter burnt down there).

egilbe
09-22-2018, 20:14
From Glencliff North, it gets decidely more difficult. I anfor a mile an hour and If I get more, it's bonus miles. Smats mountain is the first "Welcome to NH" mountain. It only gets harder from there.

Slo-go'en
09-22-2018, 22:12
The other consideration is when do you want to do this hike? Doing it mid summer with lots of daylight and warm temps is a lot different then short fall days with cool to cold temps.