PDA

View Full Version : Moreland Gap Shelter -- resident copperheads removed

windlion
09-23-2018, 21:06
Just back from enjoying the forest and the waterfalls in the Pond Mountain section of the Cherokee NF in the wake of another Hurricane that wasn't. Very little non-human wildlife observed; the mice in the shelters were even absent or inactive!

One bit of fun that I only learned of from the corpses. An experienced hiker for this overnited alone at Moreland shelter, built a fire, sat on a log with a crack in it for a while, woke up in the morning and was having coffee when he realized that his log had two young copperheads hiding in the crack!

He dispatched them swiftly and left the headless bodies in front of the shelter as a warning to other shelter visitors. Moral: look before you sit.

MuddyWaters
09-24-2018, 01:01
Just back from enjoying the forest and the waterfalls in the Pond Mountain section of the Cherokee NF in the wake of another Hurricane that wasn't. Very little non-human wildlife observed; the mice in the shelters were even absent or inactive!

One bit of fun that I only learned of from the corpses. An experienced hiker for this overnited alone at Moreland shelter, built a fire, sat on a log with a crack in it for a while, woke up in the morning and was having coffee when he realized that his log had two young copperheads hiding in the crack!

He dispatched them swiftly and left the headless bodies in front of the shelter as a warning to other shelter visitors. Moral: look before you sit.

Another retard that doesnt know its illegal to harm snakes in TN, as well as many states.

Some people belong home. Further proof people need to be licensed to go onto public lands.

windlion
09-24-2018, 06:29
I suppose you'd better add me to the retard list. I would likely have done the same ... but I would have buried the bodies in the woods.

Virginia is Not Flat

Traveler
09-24-2018, 06:54
Distressing to hear some people are not only woefully amoral when it comes to contact with wildlife, but are also ignorant of laws protecting it.

cneill13
09-24-2018, 07:34
Let's go into the woods a kill everything that we are afraid of. That's a great plan. You clowns need to stay home where you are safe. And where you can't needlessly slaughter the residents.

AllDownhillFromHere
09-24-2018, 08:42
No shortage of ******** in the world.

Thedude18e
09-24-2018, 08:43
I guess it's easy to take the moral high ground and condemn others for their seemingly cruel/illegal acts until your kid, dog, or significant other gets bitten 8 miles from the nearest trail head.

Thedude18e
09-24-2018, 08:46
Me too. "leave no trace!"

Harrison Bergeron
09-24-2018, 09:12
I'd take snakes over mice any day. If a resident copperhead is the solution to shelter mice, count me in favor of installing one in every shelter. Snakes don't tear up your gear or ruin your food or run over your face in the middle of the night or carry deadly diseases like hanta virus and rabies.

AllDownhillFromHere
09-24-2018, 09:29
I guess it's easy to take the moral high ground and condemn others for their seemingly cruel/illegal acts until your kid, dog, or significant other gets bitten 8 miles from the nearest trail head.

It is easy. Why did the snakes have to die? Just kick them out of their log, or move the log, or something. It's not like OTHER snakes won't simply move in - you're not really solving the problem, and now 2 animals are dead.

Gambit McCrae
09-24-2018, 09:30
Hmm lets see...
1-People Dislike mice
2-People are happy shelter is absent of mice
3-Said people see mice eating animals
4-Said mice hating people kill the animals that eat the mice they dislike
5-Mice are now at shelter
6"Hey lets see how many of these damn mice we can kill"

Yep sounds about right to me!

Uncle Joe
09-24-2018, 20:30
Further proof people need to be licensed to go onto public lands.

Killing the snakes? Yeah dumb. But that statement is no less ridiculous, with all due respect.

Burrhead
09-24-2018, 23:36

This is my responsibility as a parent or dog owner, not the snakes.I grew up running wild in the woods of East Tennessee and we managed to not get snake bit. The only person I personally know that has been bitten was getting a basketball out of his flowerbed.We went into the snakes home, it didn't come into ours. If you go hiking leave the snakes alone. If you don't want to leave the snakes alone, don't go hiking. Pretty simple concept.

Burrhead
09-24-2018, 23:42
[QUOTE=windlion;2223863]I suppose you'd better add me to the retard list.

We will.

Ashepabst
09-25-2018, 11:26
yes, of course there are snakes there... and the next shelter and the previous shelter, and under that rock you just walked by...

Alligator
09-25-2018, 13:14
In Tennessee, it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild, or possess native snakes taken from the wild without the proper permits.
See the Snakes in TN section at https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/reptiles.html

OP learned it from the corpses but knew the whole story?

FrogLevel
09-28-2018, 11:38
My dog was bitten by a copperhead near that section and I had to hike him out on my shoulders and almost lost him in the ensuing days at the vet's ICU. The snake wasn't doing anything wrong and I would never kill a snake if I saw it because of that incident. Its a risk we all take going into the woods.

Traveler
09-29-2018, 08:02

Apparently a rash of tough luck to lose all those people and the hound to snakes. Perhaps finding different areas to hike in that do not have that level of population or some snake guards for the bipeds and leash for the quadruped would help. I wish you luck.

GaryM
09-29-2018, 10:19
So kill the mice,
Let snakes live,
How do we feel about spiders, millipedes and bears?

Last Call
09-29-2018, 13:13
For the life of me I've never understood peoples desire to kill snakes, or any other wildlife, for that matter....pure ignorance.

importman77
10-28-2018, 10:30
I know I shouldn't stick my nose in here but..... If I'm hiking and I see a snake, any snake, I will wait until I can safely move on past it. I'm okay and the snake's okay. And if I can, I'll leave a note for those coming that way to beware. But... if there's a snake close to a shelter and I see it I will do my best to dispose of it. Ideally, I could carry it a few miles then go off trail a 100 yards and let it go free. Unfortunately, my fear of snakes won't allow me to do that. I'm an animal lover and I really hate the idea of harming any animal. But I'm also a realist and I strongly believe the life and health of my fellow human beings is worth more than that of a venomous snake. Yes, I'm in his home but if I accidentally step, or in this case sit on him he is going to try to harm me. Sorry, but that's just how I feel about that. As a side note, I wonder how many of the animal lovers on here would allow fire ants to live unchecked on their property. Are their lives worth less than the snake? Just saying.

D2maine
10-28-2018, 14:12
I know I shouldn't stick my nose in here but..... If I'm hiking and I see a snake, any snake, I will wait until I can safely move on past it. I'm okay and the snake's okay. And if I can, I'll leave a note for those coming that way to beware. But... if there's a snake close to a shelter and I see it I will do my best to dispose of it. Ideally, I could carry it a few miles then go off trail a 100 yards and let it go free. Unfortunately, my fear of snakes won't allow me to do that. I'm an animal lover and I really hate the idea of harming any animal. But I'm also a realist and I strongly believe the life and health of my fellow human beings is worth more than that of a venomous snake. Yes, I'm in his home but if I accidentally step, or in this case sit on him he is going to try to harm me. Sorry, but that's just how I feel about that. As a side note, I wonder how many of the animal lovers on here would allow fire ants to live unchecked on their property. Are their lives worth less than the snake? Just saying.

please find a different hobby smh

Miner
10-28-2018, 15:44
So if the snakes had attacked someone and they died or almost died, then would it have been okay to kill it? Just asking since that is what happens to mountain lions and bears. Just want to make sure every animal is treated equally in our society. I'm sure none of use want to recreate the situation of, “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” ― George Orwell, Animal Farm

HooKooDooKu
10-28-2018, 16:10
So if the snakes had attacked someone and they died or almost died, then would it have been okay to kill it? Just asking since that is what happens to mountain lions and bears. Just want to make sure every animal is treated equally in our society. I'm sure none of use want to recreate the situation of, “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” ― George Orwell, Animal Farm
Since we're bringing up a bear analogy, is there anyone who thinks it would have been fine with killing a bear if they saw one at a shelter? (I don't mean a ranger taking care of a problem bear, I mean a camper is camping and a resident bear comes sniffing around, would it be ok for a camper to take it upon themselves and kill this bear just because it MIGHT attack them?

importman77
10-28-2018, 19:44
please find a different hobby smh

Sorry, I'm kinda fond of this one. Thankfully you don't get to control that for me.

D2maine
10-28-2018, 20:06
Sorry, I'm kinda fond of this one. Thankfully you don't get to control that for me.

Then leave your fears at home and the wildlife the **** alone - your fellow man can handle it themselves.

tdoczi
10-28-2018, 20:16

thing about that is there are definitely places where if someone were to catch you killing a copperhead it may very well impede your ability to hike quite dramatically.

importman77
10-28-2018, 20:47
Then leave your fears at home and the wildlife the **** alone - your fellow man can handle it themselves.

My membership on white blaze means too much to me for me to continue this conversation with you but maybe we'll meet on the trail one day and we can talk more.

stephanD
10-29-2018, 10:20
Snakes eat mice. Mice carry ticks. Less mice = less ticks. killing snakes is senseless and stupid.

LazyLightning
10-29-2018, 10:33
there were many snakes living under shelters or even in the rafters this thru hike season.

they didn't bother anybody and nobody seemed bothered by this, nobody was frightened. People were actually happy cause they were taking care of the mice. Many people slept in these shelters with no cares or worries, I didn't see it effect one persons decision to stay.

some people warned others in the journals that there is a snake

nobody considered killing the animals to calm there own fears

maybe you'll get bit next time you try killing one, and maybe you'll learn from that if you can't learn why it's wrong from people on here.

D2maine
10-29-2018, 12:07
My membership on white blaze means too much to me for me to continue this conversation with you but maybe we'll meet on the trail one day and we can talk more.

then you probably should think twice before you violate the tos in 2 of your last 3 posts

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.

17. Threats are absolutely unacceptable. Anyone posting a message that contains a threat to another person or their property will immediately be moved into moderated status. The posting, and all other posts made by the offender in that thread will be deleted. Please be aware that moderators can not determine when a threat is made in jest. Neither can many users; so simply do not make them. If there is a second offense it will terminate the offender's participation on WhiteBlaze. All posts, pictures, or contributions of any sort will be deleted

HooKooDooKu
10-29-2018, 13:58
As a side note, I wonder how many of the animal lovers on here would allow fire ants to live unchecked on their property. Are their lives worth less than the snake? Just saying.
I don't think anyone in this thread has said there is anything wrong with killing a poisonous snakes on your personal property.

The problem is committing the illegal act of killing an animal (poisonous or not) on Federally protected lands.

stephanD
10-29-2018, 15:31
Snakes are scary. I get it. But they have their place in the grand scheme of things. And, in my opinion, they are beautiful animals perfectly adapted to their environment. If my information is correct, the number of Copperheads is declining in all Eastern US states. If you don't want to be in a shelter with snakes, write a warning in the shelter's notebook and move on. In some cultures, killing snakes is considered bad Karma. So just to be on the safe side, leave them alone.

FrogLevel
10-30-2018, 22:09

So you kill snakes that you see near shelters just in case? As a potential victim of a deadly snake attack I'd kindly request you let me handle that and not kill anything in the completely idiotic viewpoint of protecting me.

And as for your silly completely unrelated aside...no nobody would let fire ants live inside their house, no. But most people don't stomp on anthills in the woods in case they might.