PDA

View Full Version : A properly attired hiker: Blaze orange in hunting season

Mags
09-24-2018, 11:16
My trip partner and I were out and about this weekend. We saw hunters scoping out spots for the upcoming rifle season in a couple of weeks. Time to grab some blaze (hunter) orange.

Here's an article that goes over the different options (https://pmags.com/a-properly-attired-hiker-blaze-orange-in-hunting-season) that could work for wearing blaze orange during this time of the year.

It is not that hunters will "shoot at anything that moves". Rather, they won't shoot at all if someone is within their firing area.

I post and revise this article every year since I think it is important people feel comfortable in all seasons and share the outdoors respectfully and safely.

TJ aka Teej
09-24-2018, 11:30
Thanks, Mags. Bear season is well under way, and the moose hunt just started, in Maine.

Tipi Walter
09-24-2018, 11:43
For the most part this was already covered here recently on another thread---

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/130303-should-I-be-wearing-blaze-orange-anytime-before-a-mid-Oct-finish

C4web88
09-24-2018, 12:16
Great post. Thanks for sharing mags. Any Virginians hiking within the next week or so keep in mind early bear firearms season west of blue ridge starts oct. 1 and ends on the 3rd.

Berserker
09-24-2018, 14:03
One piece of attire I didn't see in your article that I thought was worth mentioning is the blaze orange buff. I like wearing buffs on my head, and Buff actually makes one in blaze orange.

Time Zone
09-24-2018, 18:05
It's worth finding out what the requirements are in your intended hiking area. Even within a state they may vary. For instance, in Tennessee's Catoosa WMA, the requirement is merely that hikers wear fluorescent colors:

"All users within the Cumberland Trail corridor must wear visible fluorescent clothing during deer gun and muzzleloader hunts, spring turkey hunts, and wild hog control hunts."

In North Cumberland WMA, however,

"Public use is permitted during all hunts. During daylight hours all users outside of an enclosed vehicle or outside of camp must wear, on the upper portion of their body and head, a minimum of 500 square inches of blaze orange, visible front and back, during the deer and elk gun and muzzleloader seasons."

source: Tennessee Hunting & Trapping Guide, 2018-2019.

Meeting the North Cumberland WMA requirement probably satisfies the Catoosa WMA requirement, but the reverse may not necessarily hold true.

500 square inches is a fair bit, though if it can be split between front and back, that's not so bad.

RockDoc
09-24-2018, 21:22
Most hunters are good folks. But the ones that give me the willies are the ones you see checking you out in their rifle scope... just to get a good look at you and what you are up to.

Venchka
09-24-2018, 21:44
Why speculate or guesss????
Requirements by state:
http://www.hunter-ed.com/blog/blaze-orange-regulations-every-state/
Oddly enough, California doesn’t require blaze orange.
Wayne

colorado_rob
09-25-2018, 09:36
Thanks for doing this every year Mags.... it's so easy for non-hunters to simply forget to take at least a basic precaution come October... I personally don't worry at all about bow or black powder season, but one those high powered rifles come out, we like to wear something bright up high, at least. I personally throw a $2 walmart plastic hunting vest around the top of my pack. We're heading out next Monday (Oct 1) for a BP trip up in the Raywah's, might have forgotten if you hadn't posted this.

Not sure what you're thinking Wayne, but that link posts requirements for hunters, I don't see hiker requirements. I wonder if there are any actual hiker requirements? Just curious.

Tipi Walter
09-25-2018, 11:08
One big reason I got McHale to make me a pack in bright colors is for hunting season in the Southeast---where hunters use dogs and are out in droves. Now I stand out all year long---which doesn't bother me in the least. If I ever have to stealth camp in the trees behind a Walmart I'll throw on a brown or green pack cover . . .

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2018-Trips-188-/20-Days-with-a-New-McHale-Pack/i-F8jMGtf/0/cf5d0c22/L/Trip%20192%20%2865%29-L.jpg

Berserker
09-25-2018, 12:30
One big reason I got McHale to make me a pack in bright colors is for hunting season in the Southeast---where hunters use dogs and are out in droves. Now I stand out all year long---which doesn't bother me in the least. If I ever have to stealth camp in the trees behind a Walmart I'll throw on a brown or green pack cover . . .

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2018-Trips-188-/20-Days-with-a-New-McHale-Pack/i-F8jMGtf/0/cf5d0c22/L/Trip%20192%20%2865%29-L.jpg
That's a pretty colorful pack you got there, and a McHale to boot. I also have a McHale in my quiver, great pack.

Anyway, I just realized that my newest toy might be almost as gawdy as yours. I got a Zpacks Arc Haul in the orange color about a year ago, and I think between that and my blaze orange buff I'm pretty well covered.

Tipi Walter
09-25-2018, 12:38
That's a pretty colorful pack you got there, and a McHale to boot. I also have a McHale in my quiver, great pack.

Anyway, I just realized that my newest toy might be almost as gawdy as yours. I got a Zpacks Arc Haul in the orange color about a year ago, and I think between that and my blaze orange buff I'm pretty well covered.

Yes, I definitely think the backpacking gear YOU USE should cover the color requirements without having to carry separate Hunter's Orange. My hiking t-shirts are usually very bright and my Arcteryx rain jacket is very ORANGE. And my pack is bright.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Bald-River-with-Tipi-Walter/i-M7Bhf8c/0/9892bd1c/L/TRIP%20127%20174-L.jpg
HOW ORANGE DO YOU WANT TO BE???

colorado_rob
09-25-2018, 12:43
All this colorful stuff works, and again, good reminder from Mags to have something bright on. I had a fluorescent green vest for a few years, got a bit of a lecture from a hunter, bought an orange one soon after. Never actually wear the thing (plastic, doesn't breathe!), I just drape it over the top of my pack. One thing about yellow out here in CO in early October, depending on where you are, practically everything around you is yellow (AKA: Aspens), but I suppose bright yellow is better than earth tones.

A good point in that article, in case anyone missed it, is that if you hike with a pooch, make sure he/she has something bright on as well! It has to have happened before, a hiker's dog being shot by mistake.

Tipi Walter
09-25-2018, 12:47
I remember once I was going thru a particular bad area for hunting and they were out everywhere---and I had a colorless grey pack so I placed my rain jacket on top and kept moving.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-Warriors-Passage/i-qgqfZrN/0/7535578b/L/TRIP%20128%20164-L.jpg

tagg
09-25-2018, 13:01
Yes, I definitely think the backpacking gear YOU USE should cover the color requirements without having to carry separate Hunter's Orange. My hiking t-shirts are usually very bright and my Arcteryx rain jacket is very ORANGE. And my pack is bright.HOW ORANGE DO YOU WANT TO BE???

Same here, I even use bright orange underquilts so I can be visible when I'm in my hammock.

Venchka
09-25-2018, 15:39
Rob,
I can’t help it if the Rules Makers are Clueless.
I reckon you can’t go wrong by matching the hunters.
A ULA Blaze Orange pack would be nice. Any day.
Wayne

TSWisla
09-26-2018, 07:05
I am hiking from Fontana to Hot Springs starting Oct 1, do I need to consider some orange?

perrymk
09-26-2018, 07:23
I've actually had a hunter compliment my abundant use of orange apparel. I typically wear a blaze orange t-shirt and use a blaze orange pack cover for winter hiking (in Florida) as it's easy to cross into hunter territory unaware and more than once I've seen hunters where they shouldn't have been. Whether intentional or not I cannot say but at least I was visible enough to not get shot. Fortunately I've not had a problem with hunters.

TJ aka Teej
09-26-2018, 09:13
I am hiking from Fontana to Hot Springs starting Oct 1, do I need to consider some orange?

From late September through November we wear safety orange whenever we're out. Wore it apple picking, too.
I hunted deer in Maine when I was younger, and can tell you hi-viz colors really stand out.

peakbagger
09-26-2018, 09:29
A nice thing about Maine is no legal hunting on Sundays. So orange attire is optional at least one day of the week (yet highly recommended).

bushwhacker88
09-27-2018, 01:01
Although most do, it would be unwise to assume that all hunters follow the regulations. There have been several unfortunate shootings here in Georgia where people hunting on their own land or on leased land didnt wear their orange believing themselves to be the only ones on the property and were mistaken for deer by trespassers. Better safe than sorry.

jboggg
09-27-2018, 09:23
Good topic. I do a lot of hunting on National Forest near the AT in North GA. As an FYI the white oak acorn crop at higher elevations failed this year so most of the bears moved to lower elevations where they were in greater abundance. As a result most hunters have moved lower as well.

LazyLightning
09-27-2018, 21:13
I've been wearing Hanes 'cool dry' 100% polyester t shirts at work for years doing construction and has been my hiking choice as well including my current thru hike. They come in blaze orange so its part of my gear, nothing extra just switch the color for hunting season. The shirts are super durable, breathable, dry quick even totally soaked and wringing it out/puting it back on.... And there like 5 bux come long and short sleeve..... In cold weather I have my wool base layers underneath.

Time Zone
09-27-2018, 22:17
I've been wearing Hanes 'cool dry' 100% polyester t shirts at work for years doing construction and has been my hiking choice as well including my current thru hike. They come in blaze orange so its part of my gear, nothing extra just switch the color for hunting season. The shirts are super durable, breathable, dry quick even totally soaked and wringing it out/puting it back on.... And there like 5 bux come long and short sleeve..... In cold weather I have my wool base layers underneath.

Where can you find those?

I have found some Fruit of the Loom 50/50 shirts at WM that are bright - I have a bright yellow and another that is effectively blaze orange. Similar pricing. 50/50 is a good fabric for warm weather, but probably want all synth in cold weather, so I'm curious about the ones you mention. Thanks!

LazyLightning
09-28-2018, 07:58
Where can you find those?

I have found some Fruit of the Loom 50/50 shirts at WM that are bright - I have a bright yellow and another that is effectively blaze orange. Similar pricing. 50/50 is a good fabric for warm weather, but probably want all synth in cold weather, so I'm curious about the ones you mention. Thanks!

Try searching "Hanes Cool Dri" (dri not dry) on Wal-Mart.com .... They have a big color selection and usually blaze orange in stock online, much more stuff online then in stock at Wal-Mart.

Another Kevin
09-28-2018, 09:15
Another Kevin in hunting season:

Ahead:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7521/15673754056_7d617329e3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pT361U)

Astern:
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43708&d=1538140328

Time Zone
09-28-2018, 11:27
Try searching "Hanes Cool Dri" (dri not dry) on Wal-Mart.com .... They have a big color selection and usually blaze orange in stock online, much more stuff online then in stock at Wal-Mart.

Thanks! Looks like they're on to your great idea ... prices are now about double of what you said (for men's), but a) it's still a great deal, and b) you said you've been wearing them for years, so prices do rise over time for various reasons. I'll try to remember these shirts next time I need to update my Insect Shield-treated clothes. I pretty much only hike in IS-treated socks/pants/shirts, though my blaze orange tee and blaze orange vest were not part of the batch I sent them, so those (one or the other) are just worn over top of whatever IS-treated clothes I have on. For the back of my pack, rather than buying a pack cover I don't want or need, I'm looking at just hanging a blaze orange drawstring backpack from the back of my pack. It's only 2.4 oz, and would probably be < 1oz if I just cut out a panel and pinned it.

One time this summer, I thought, "nah, it's so hot, I'll just wear regular shorts." Found a half-dozen ticks on my legs at the end of the hike; haven't hiked in shorts since.

Rangers tend to wear long pants too, and I figure it's probably for good reason.

Another Kevin
09-28-2018, 12:46
I'm not afraid of being mistaken for a deer. I'm afraid of being downrange of one.

I got uncomfortably close to a couple of hunters in spring turkey season this year. They were falling all over themselves apologising. They had no idea that they were firing across a blazed trail. (Obviously not the AT, and much less popular).

Time Zone
09-28-2018, 13:31
Many of us are doomed if it is necessary for a trail to have the popularity of the AT to ensure that hunters won't fire across it. Hopefully your experience was borne of exceedingly rare circumstances. I wonder, though ....

In years past I've simply not hiked in WMAs during hunting season. I've hiked elsewhere. Now, the trail sections I most want to complete are in WMAs that have hunting season during the best time to hike them (cooler weather).

:-p

Another Kevin
09-28-2018, 16:46
Many of us are doomed if it is necessary for a trail to have the popularity of the AT to ensure that hunters won't fire across it. Hopefully your experience was borne of exceedingly rare circumstances. I wonder, though ....

In years past I've simply not hiked in WMAs during hunting season. I've hiked elsewhere. Now, the trail sections I most want to complete are in WMAs that have hunting season during the best time to hike them (cooler weather).

:-p

You guessed correctly - it was a WMA that I was hiking in - and a WMA for which the trail maps s*k ('*' of course is replaced with 'tin'). In fact, I was there GPSing trails to try to help correct the latter condition.

At least it wasn't big game season - they were loaded with birdshot. And I wasn't Harry Whittington. (When Dick Cheney shoots someone, the victim apologizes (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11409731/ns/politics/t/harry-whittingtons-hospital-statement/)!)

Oh, this is another reason to carry a whistle. At first the guys didn't hear me halloaing - but they did hear my whistle and removed their ear protection.

GaryM
09-29-2018, 19:53
Consider wearing orange year round, makes it easier for S&R to find you. Unless you don't want to be seen of course.

One Half
09-29-2018, 20:57
As a non-hunter you are not REQUIRED to wear orange. But it's an EXCELLENT idea for your own safety.

saltysack
10-04-2018, 09:04
Just remember poachers don’t follow the rules or seasons...I feel it’s a good idea to be seen whenever in the woods...if you’re worried about spooking the animals don’t because most are colorblind and will definitely smell or hear a stinky hiker well well before they see you. In the south wild hogs can be hunted year round as they’re not native and considered a nuisance. Just my $.02.....safety has nothing to do with LNT.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbikebbs
10-04-2018, 11:20
I appreciate this thread. I've got a question concerning the "blaze/safety" orange. Ordered an orange pack cover from the local outfitter and when I went to look at it yesterday, it wasn't anywhere close to what they had on their distributer's web site. Since then, when I look at web sites, I don't trust their pictures. Other than only purchasing from brick and mortar places, which I have a very limited selection, how do I know if the color shown is a true representation of what it is? I've already sent requests to a couple of places and am waiting for responses.

Scott

Tipi Walter
10-04-2018, 15:07
I appreciate this thread. I've got a question concerning the "blaze/safety" orange. Ordered an orange pack cover from the local outfitter and when I went to look at it yesterday, it wasn't anywhere close to what they had on their distributer's web site. Since then, when I look at web sites, I don't trust their pictures. Other than only purchasing from brick and mortar places, which I have a very limited selection, how do I know if the color shown is a true representation of what it is? I've already sent requests to a couple of places and am waiting for responses.

Scott

You could google the brand and model of pack cover you're interested in and then google images of that model in use and maybe you'll see other people using it on trips---and not images tied to the company or advertising. Maybe you'll find some reviews, too.

Mags
10-04-2018, 16:26
I appreciate this thread. I've got a question concerning the "blaze/safety" orange. Ordered an orange pack cover from the local outfitter and when I went to look at it yesterday, it wasn't anywhere close to what they had on their distributer's web site.

I've ordered this pack cover and it is a definite blaze orange.
https://www.shop.backpackingadventuregear.com/Sil-nylon-Packcovers-Starting-at-PC.htm

EDIT: It is listed as ORange vs. when I bought it 2+ years ago. May want to call and ask if it is a blaze orange, still
This may work,, and is listed as blaze orange if more expensive and potentially on the large size.
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/jeffs-gear-hammockpack-cover/

bbikebbs
10-04-2018, 19:24
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually heard back from one of the sources that I emailed. They sent the pantone number for the color of the fabric they use. It was close enough to what I was looking for that I pulled the trigger. Now I just have to wait until Tuesday for it to arrive.

saltysack
10-04-2018, 22:38
Just a heads up...I just listed for sale a safety orange Patagoochie Houdini wind jacket in xl....like new $45 shipped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow Roller
10-05-2018, 21:10
How many hikers have been shot by hunters on the AT. How many hikers have been killed by bears. How many have been attact by mice. Grow a set people.

LazyLightning
10-05-2018, 22:30
How many hikers have been shot by hunters on the AT. How many hikers have been killed by bears. How many have been attact by mice. Grow a set people.

Really? .... Your trying to talk people down from wearing safety orange telling them to 'grow a set'

Like the guy that saw my bear spray and said "did you need to use it yet?" ...... Um no, thanks, and if I don't have to use it I won't be upset either... I wasn't exactly planning on using it. I won't stop carrying it if I don't use it either.

If you don't want to wear orange don't wear it but why try to ridicule people for it?

Slow Roller
10-05-2018, 23:20
Never said don't wear orange. I wear it myself. Too much fear talk is bad carma.

Mags
10-08-2018, 12:37
How many hikers have been shot by hunters on the AT. ..SNIP...Grow a set people.

Not the AT, however...
According to this article (http://web.archive.org/web/20160801112914/http://www.hunter-ed.com/blog/blaze-orange-saves-lives/) from a hunting-focused website:

In 2010, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife reported that in the past 20 years, 81 percent of victims in vision-related hunting incidents were not wearing hunter orange clothing.

Unless the laws of physics are different on the East Coast, a person would be wise to wear some blaze orange during hunting season.

egilbe
10-08-2018, 15:23
I was just thinking, since it is fall and the woods are orange and yellow, wouldn't orange be like wearing camoflage? :D

I wear blaze orange during deer hunting season, mostly because my orange hat is too warm to wear in bird season. I want to be seen before a hunter shoots at his deer. But, in the areas I hike, I rarely see hunters. No one wants to shoot a deer and then drag it two miles. I can't think of a less worthwhile and joyless endeavor. I never like dragging a deer 100 yards to my truck. Too much like work.

I have been seeing a lot of ruffed grouse on my hikes, but no hunters. Saw a Spruce grouse on top of Old Speck on Saturday. Still a stupid bird.

Tipi Walter
10-08-2018, 16:20
I was just thinking, since it is fall and the woods are orange and yellow, wouldn't orange be like wearing camoflage? :D

I wear blaze orange during deer hunting season, mostly because my orange hat is too warm to wear in bird season. I want to be seen before a hunter shoots at his deer. But, in the areas I hike, I rarely see hunters. No one wants to shoot a deer and then drag it two miles. I can't think of a less worthwhile and joyless endeavor. I never like dragging a deer 100 yards to my truck. Too much like work.

I have been seeing a lot of ruffed grouse on my hikes, but no hunters. Saw a Spruce grouse on top of Old Speck on Saturday. Still a stupid bird.

Come to NC and you'll see some carnage---

Big Fat Gap on the BMT in NC.

Kirkland Creek in TN. Bear guts?? Hunters left the pile right next to the creek.

Lauriep
10-08-2018, 16:42
Two hikers have been accidentally shot on the Appalachian Trail by deer hunters. One was a young, novice female backpacker, off-trail a bit in the morning, in Georgia, in November. One was an older male, an experienced backpacker, on a day-hike, in Virginia, in January. Both came close to losing their lives, and their lives were permanently altered. I knew the older male hiker, and he was still in serious pain and walking with a cain, with difficulty, five months later.

As I understand it, neither victim was wearing blaze orange.

illabelle
10-09-2018, 09:37
Not AT, but here's a story of one Maine hunter aiming for turkey (https://www.foxnews.com/us/maine-hunter-aiming-for-turkey-shoots-another-man-in-chest-report), but manages to shoot another guy in the chest. Pellet caused welt, did not penetrate.