PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Duo OR Tarptent SS2 (silnylon)

andymc
09-25-2018, 19:01
I generally hammock camp, but having a tent always makes it easier to get my family into the woods. We typically have two in a tent and two in the trees. Sometimes I get the urge to nest on the ground or check out a bald. Anyway, It's time to upgrade from my old spitfire 2! The duo and ss2 are at the top of my list mainly because of price point, trekking pole support, and their larger size. We usually have a wide and regular pad inside (45") I'd love some opinions and recommendations on these to help me decide.
My thoughts currently-

Ss2:
More adaptable, I like the winter inner option as I like to camp all year in Virginia.
Ability to make a wider floor up to 62".
Seems more stable in wind and snow.
Bigger more adaptable vestibules.

Duo:
A little cheaper.
Possibly lighter? Final weights seem pretty comparable.
More overall floor space.
Camo option.(I've setup where I shouldn't a few times)
I really like the awning, but in storm mode, the vestibules seem small and possibly drafty.

Pretty close race right now. Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soumodeler
09-25-2018, 19:10
Hard to go wrong with a TarpTent, excellent products. I have heard good things about Lightheart Gear, but I always seem to prefer TT. I love my Notch, just wish it was slightly wider. The solid inner is my next purchase from TT. As for the stealth aspect, the standard TT color is not overly bold.

andymc
09-25-2018, 19:19
Hard to go wrong with a TarpTent, excellent products. I have heard good things about Lightheart Gear, but I always seem to prefer TT. I love my Notch, just wish it was slightly wider. The solid inner is my next purchase from TT. As for the stealth aspect, the standard TT color is not overly bold.

Cool, yeah it seems like everyone loves that notch. And it was hard to tell on videos if it's a UFO or a softer gray.
Thank you

Franco
09-25-2018, 20:22
That grey is very hard to accurately reproduce in photos because it changes according to the available light. The video clip at the top of the product page (the one shot by the drone) is a bit closer to the real colour, so a sort of greenish grey.

andymc
09-25-2018, 20:37
That grey is very hard to accurately reproduce in photos because it changes according to the available light. The video clip at the top of the product page (the one shot by the drone) is a bit closer to the real colour, so a sort of greenish grey.

Gotcha, thanks.

andymc
09-25-2018, 20:45
I also forgot to mention that my wife and I hope to use the tent we choose on the JMT in 2020. I have zero experience tenting out west but I would like to base my decision with that in mind as well. Which tent might serve us better out west? Thanks in advance!

DuneElliot
09-25-2018, 21:32
For me the proper double wall with the SS was THE selling point for me. Granted I went with the SS Li and I bought it the moment it went on sale and sold my Duplex purely because I wanted the diversity and modularity of the SS (double wall plus the ability to put the outer up first). Don't underestimate that in rain. I have a friend on this site with the Solo who loves it.

Both companies provide excellent products and customer service. I really think the deciding factor comes down to the two reasons I mentioned and weather (yes, pun intended) those are a priority or not

andymc
09-25-2018, 21:57
For me the proper double wall with the SS was THE selling point for me. Granted I went with the SS Li and I bought it the moment it went on sale and sold my Duplex purely because I wanted the diversity and modularity of the SS (double wall plus the ability to put the outer up first). Don't underestimate that in rain. I have a friend on this site with the Solo who loves it.

Both companies provide excellent products and customer service. I really think the deciding factor comes down to the two reasons I mentioned and weather (yes, pun intended) those are a priority or not

I can agree with that. I owned a SMD haven tarp/nettent once and really enjoyed that same "modularity".I liked using it as a tarp alone with tyvek in the cool months. It was a little snug with the net tent at 43" wide I think, but it gave decent condensation control.
I tried a duplex one night about two years ago and I remember it feeling snug for two people in winter. I thought a triplex would serve me better if I went high dollar again, but those things look huge, and like it takes 100 ft of guyline to pitch Haha.
How would you compare the interior feel of the Li to the duplex? I feel like the innernet could cramp things, but on the other hand those bigger vestibules probably open it up!
Thanks

Gambit McCrae
09-26-2018, 08:29
After 2000+ miles in a tarptent (mainly the SS2) I have zero complaints. It has kept me dry AND comfortable during many storms and rainy nights. Just cant go wrong with it

andymc
09-26-2018, 08:46
After 2000+ miles in a tarptent (mainly the SS2) I have zero complaints. It has kept me dry AND comfortable during many storms and rainy nights. Just cant go wrong with it

That's impressive Gambit. Did you use the ss2 as a solo or two person? Can you compare the interior space to a duplex? (The duplex was my last test run for a quality tent)

DuneElliot
09-26-2018, 09:17
I can agree with that. I owned a SMD haven tarp/nettent once and really enjoyed that same "modularity".I liked using it as a tarp alone with tyvek in the cool months. It was a little snug with the net tent at 43" wide I think, but it gave decent condensation control.
I tried a duplex one night about two years ago and I remember it feeling snug for two people in winter. I thought a triplex would serve me better if I went high dollar again, but those things look huge, and like it takes 100 ft of guyline to pitch Haha.
How would you compare the interior feel of the Li to the duplex? I feel like the innernet could cramp things, but on the other hand those bigger vestibules probably open it up!
Thanks

I can't do much comparison yet. I have only put the SS Li up once, and very badly as I am waiting on some replacement hiking poles. The length is of the inner is about 3" shorter, but the same width as the Duplex bathtub floor so it probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference. I'd look at the video to get an idea.

andymc
09-26-2018, 11:30
I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm leaning hard toward the ss2. I'm gonna pull the trigger next week unless someone changes my mind!

Gambit McCrae
09-26-2018, 12:18
That's impressive Gambit. Did you use the ss2 as a solo or two person? Can you compare the interior space to a duplex? (The duplex was my last test run for a quality tent)

I now use the duplex as a replacement to my SS2. I have been meaning to do a full comparison video of SS2 vs. Duplex but have been too busy to remember. Here are some off the cuff comments regarding the 2

-I enjoyed my SS2 a bit more then I do the Duplex.
-Duplex is half the weight of the SS2
-Length of the SS2 was better for me then the duplex is, I never had issues with feet or head hitting the tent, now I do with the duplex.
-The duplex comes in a bag that is awkward, why would zpacks make their most popular tent that packs into a shape that does not fit the strap width of their most popular pack?(The 2 vertical straps on the bottom of the pack.
-Condensation: It bothers me as much as I let it bother me. my stuff doesn't get soaked, it doesn't drip on me, I am conscious of where I pitch the tent.

I want to a video with both tents set up in the yard showing points I like and dislike.

Franco
09-27-2018, 05:05
If one is prepared to pay for a Duplex to save weight but prefers the features (design?) of the StratoSpire, maybe the SS Li could be the solution.
No?
franco@tarptent

DuneElliot
09-27-2018, 09:20
I thought Swisscross was going to post in here (he owns the SoLong). We had a discussion about this yesterday. From my understanding the Duo, while being wider that the Solo, uses the same width PVC ridgeline that the solo does. SC mentioned that this makes it tough for two people to sit up at the same time.

I also watched him put his tent up. He had to get in it to do the ridgeline pole. While he really likes the SoLong having to get in while wet or muddy to put the tent up would be a no-go for me.

andymc
09-27-2018, 10:26
I don't want to pay for DCF, I just got to try a duplex for a night, so that's what I'm comparing other tents to.
I just wanted some info on the Li since it's new and interesting. Thanks for the help.

andymc
09-27-2018, 11:31
I thought Swisscross was going to post in here (he owns the SoLong). We had a discussion about this yesterday. From my understanding the Duo, while being wider that the Solo, uses the same width PVC ridgeline that the solo does. SC mentioned that this makes it tough for two people to sit up at the same time.

I also watched him put his tent up. He had to get in it to do the ridgeline pole. While he really likes the SoLong having to get in while wet or muddy to put the tent up would be a no-go for me.

Good points there. That inward taper on the duo seems extreme. Definitely makes it looks hard to setup in the rain.