PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Hiking

Wesgoat
09-26-2018, 18:22
I was on the two tear plan originally to hike the entire AT. In 2016 I hiked from Springer to HF. In 2017 I hiked from HF to Pawling, NY. Got off there just mentally couldn't get into it.

Anyway, next year I am going to try again and will start at HF and reach Katahdin. I know I've done a good chunk of this but will have the time and i like to finish what I said I was going to do.

Beginning around May 1 and projecting to be done approximately August 10. This will leave me about 3 weeks before I need to be back in FLA.

My question is.....where could I go to spend these 3 weeks hiking in the Northeast? Go back and do more in the whites? Any other suggestions?

Also, if you had 4 months to hike in the northeast.....when would you start and try to end for most favorable hiking?

Any info appreciated. Never hiked north of MY and want to experience as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

peakbagger
09-26-2018, 18:34
You could visit the northern part of the Long Trail or for a more remote hike consider the Coos Trail.

One thing to consider is spend some extra time in Baxter State Park. The crowds approach the summit from the east and the west. Few go north into the center and north end of the Park. The Traveler Loop is spectacular day hike and the Northern Peaks and Northwest Basin trails are both spectacular in and of themselves.

fastfoxengineering
09-26-2018, 21:25
You could finish the Long Trail, hike the Cohos Trail, or peak bag in NH/Maine.

You could also go over to the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway.

You could also hike on the New England Trail.

You could also keep going on the IAT

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
09-27-2018, 21:54
The only problem with these alternative trails is you'd need some way to get to them. The only real option which doesn't require shuttling or renting a car is continuing north on the LT when you get to the Maine junction, then hike back from the border. That adds a couple 100 miles of rugged hiking in the mix. After that, your really ready to take on NH and ME. More then a few thru hikers have done this and added the north end of the LT to their hike.

Wesgoat
09-28-2018, 07:07
Thanks guys. Long Trail is defintely a possibility. Maybe a couple days in Baxter too. Appreciate the info

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
09-28-2018, 09:13
Thanks guys. Long Trail is defintely a possibility. Maybe a couple days in Baxter too. Appreciate the info

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk The LT was one of my all-time favorite hikes. And BTW, when I hiked it (SOBO), I stayed at the North Troy Inn. At the time, they had a deal where the male half of the owning couple gave free rides (but we tipped him $20 each) from Burlington to the Inn, then a free ride to the trailhead (well, close at least) the next morning, assuming you stay at the Inn. The guy works in Burlington, commutes every weekday, gets off work at 3pm-ish, so you have to time your flight. This was two years ago now, not sure if that easy-logistics option still exists.

Wesgoat
09-29-2018, 10:30
I am leaning towards getting off the AT somewhere around Killington then getting transportation to Burlington (Bus?) and then shuttle to the LT northern terminus....or at least close.....then hike back to SOBO to the AT. Then continue north on AT to Katahdin. My initial thoughts anyway. Definitely will check out the North Troy Inn information. I have read that it is hard and rugged but also beautiful. Hopefully I can work this out....hike the LT..... and also finish the second half of the AT. Could be a great summer!

fastfoxengineering
09-29-2018, 11:38
I am leaning towards getting off the AT somewhere around Killington then getting transportation to Burlington (Bus?) and then shuttle to the LT northern terminus....or at least close.....then hike back to SOBO to the AT. Then continue north on AT to Katahdin. My initial thoughts anyway. Definitely will check out the North Troy Inn information. I have read that it is hard and rugged but also beautiful. Hopefully I can work this out....hike the LT..... and also finish the second half of the AT. Could be a great summer!Theres a major bus system in downtown Rutland. You can hitch into Rutland or even wait for the bus AFTER descending Killington. You can even stay at the Yellow Deli for a night to organize if need be. The bus station is literally their backyard. There should be a bus from Rutland to Bullington, just google it. Allthough that sounds like alot its super easy and lots of people on the trail do exactly that.

However... hiking the LT and then Maine Junction to Katahdin is some of the most physical demanding trail out there. Every NOBO i met who said they were gonna go finish the LT after the AT didnt because they were very worn out physically. They were tired of the rugged terrain in the whites and southern maine and therefore another 173 miles of some tough trail in Vermont no longer sounded fun.

Not saying you cant do it it wont enjoy it, but its not a pleasant walk thru the Northeast. Beautiful, yes, but kicks most peoples butt.

Something to consider. Which one is more important to you? Most people would say hiking the AT. If thats true, i would continue North on the AT. Once your standing atop the Bigelows...youll then know if the LT is something you want to do immediately after the AT.

Long Trail 2014
AT 2018

colorado_rob
09-29-2018, 11:48
Yup, the northern LT really is rugged... my MPD dropped from 18-20 (on the AT) to 12-13 in that northern 100 miles. But, it seems like it really was only about 100 miles, not the entire 170-ish of the LT that's not also the AT, for what that's worth. Not that those 70-ish miles were easy, it does just ease a bit after that 100 or so, going SOBO.

I do agree, adding those extra 170 miles will add quite a bit of overall effort to you HF--> Katahdin quest, but I gotta say, it will be worth it.

One little note: folks on here emphasized the importance of having that LT map... and I, of course, ignored them (not carrying any maps for the AT), until I got on the trail and realized that LT map is vitally important simply because of all the trail info on it. Get the LT map.

fastfoxengineering
09-29-2018, 12:16
The LT trail map was critical to my successful thru hike in 2014.

I have no experience with the LT Guthook App. But if it was a useful as the AT one, id recommend using guthook and carrying the LT map.

If your feeling healthy and strong, still embracing the suck, and want more of New England, then the LT would be awesome follow up.

If one if those elements is missing, go somewhere else.

The nice part about the LT is it would be a seamless transition. Water sources are about the same as the AT, good resupply is 3-5 days like the AT, terrain is like the AT. It will probably be quieter though.

Also, you can pm me if you need anything. If available, i may be able to help logisitcally. I live in NH.