PDA

View Full Version : MinnesotaSmith Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

StarLyte
10-20-2006, 17:18
LOL, that would be the LAST thing I would want. But I appreciate the sentiment. What would be nice is seeing some Whiteblazers out on the trail along the way.

.....I just had this vision Sgt. Rock........I mean.......there's a lot of Whiteblazers that might want to send you off and/or hike with you from Springer. We're talking a lot of folks....you might want to be prepared for that :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
10-20-2006, 17:20
So keep it a secret and change my trail name. Got it.

Footslogger
10-20-2006, 17:35
So keep it a secret and change my trail name. Got it.
================================

Nah ...publicize the heck out of your departure date and then show up on Springer a week early and leave everyone an advanced thank-you note.

'Slogger

Nean
10-20-2006, 18:06
1) I was not "shown the door" @ Palmerton. I stayed one night, and left as intended. I had no trouble and gave no trouble. The closest to either was a polite discussion with disagreement that I mentioned earlier, not to be confused with anything that contradicts the above.

2) I never claimed to be injured or ill while at Palmerton.

1) Not in Palmerton? Gotcha.:) You were just making the point that yet another free night for hikers would benefit them. I'm sure your points had never occured to them in all these years...:rolleyes:

2) That is correct MS!! I used an old example about a kid here on WB who did just that to make a point.:cool: Did not mean to say you claimed to be injured or ill........ while at Palmerton.

Enjoy the rest of your hike!:D

ed bell
10-20-2006, 19:16
How much more simply do I have to state this for the webblazers here @ WB to finally grasp this point?Webblazers:-?....how come I'm feeling negative waves here? Sounds like a bit of arrogance slipping out. Maybe my reading comprehension is lacking a bit.:cool::)

Panzer1
10-20-2006, 20:14
Met Minnesota Smith at Katahdin Stream Campground on Saturday. He told me that future generations will look back at thru-hikers of today in the same way we look back in awe at the veterans of World War Two,....

I said that thruhikers would eventually (like in 20 years) resemble WWII vets in that the point would be reached in that there would be no more being produced. That is the sole similiarity that I drew between them. I have no illusions that my sacrifices or achievements made in the course of my thruhike are on a par with the men who took Iwo Jima or the like.

You get an entirely different spin on what was said if you just leave off the last part about "no more being produced"

Panzer

ps speaking of Iwo Jima there is a new movie starting tonight called "Flags of our Fathers". It's about the marines who raised the american flag on top of mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima during WWII in 1945.

the goat
10-20-2006, 21:23
Webblazers:-?....how come I'm feeling negative waves here? Sounds like a bit of arrogance slipping out. Maybe my reading comprehension is lacking a bit.:cool::)

yeah, i was gonna leave that one alone, i don't think he meant it.:)

i mean, it would be silly considering many of the "webblazers", here on wb, have passed many more white blazes than smitty has.

Topcat
10-21-2006, 08:56
You get an entirely different spin on what was said if you just leave off the last part about "no more being produced"

Panzer

ps speaking of Iwo Jima there is a new movie starting tonight called "Flags of our Fathers". It's about the marines who raised the american flag on top of mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima during WWII in 1945.

if he really said the last part...People hear what they want to hear and sometimes people dont really say what they mean.

mweinstone
10-21-2006, 09:47
minnesota smith comes to the end of his trail. sun sets. saturday and a beer and a rant.goatshine with weirdos and tiny pretzle goldfish.the psyodelic world of ms on 5 cd's or tape. climb to new highs. stoop to new middles. crouch to new lows. something for everyone. come one come all. bring the family. sing us a song ms, your the piano man.

best new ms term," servicable fire"
old fartcast," weird with periods of heavy putdowns."
newest shine on the street," starshine" a mix of starlytes favorite microbrew and shine.

Lone Wolf
10-21-2006, 10:03
shine on mofo. wax off. entirely.

Lone Wolf
10-21-2006, 10:23
off to the highlands. shine in tow. toe in boot. see you monkeys on the flip. wise. shelter. tonite burn it.

The Old Fhart
10-21-2006, 10:32
mweinstone-"old fartcast," weird with periods of heavy putdowns.""It truly has to be an upside-down world when mweinstone refers to something as "wierd"!;)

Topcat
10-21-2006, 12:26
here is another take on Palmerton and the Hostel there. Seems to me it may be all a matter of attitude. I took this from Stumpknockers Journal. I hope he doesnt mind me quoting it here. Seems like a pretty friendly place to me.

"I went to bed early last night in the Jailhouse House and I slept great all night.

Yolanda and I were the only hikers there, so it was nice and quiet with no snoring. :-)))

I woke up this morning about 6am. I knew that Bert's Steakhouse opened for breakfast at 6:30 and I planned on being there with coffee cup in hand.

I couldn't believe how much better my heel felt this morning.

The girl scouts leave a goody bag for the hikers and it includes a toothbrush, toothpaste, stamped post card, toilet paper, a 15 minute phone card and some Advil.

I haven't taken anything for pain ever on any of my walks, but the way my heel was feeling last night, I took two Advil. I also did some lite stretching, so I'm not sure if the Advil really helped, or my heel was just getting used to walking again.

I walked across the street to the restaurant and ate two breakfasts and had lots of coffee. Yolanda even ate two breakfasts, so I didn't feel too bad. :-)))

Yolanda had called a number posted in the hostel for a ride back to the Trail. It was arranged for 8:45 this morning, so we had time to resupply at the IGA and repack our packs before the ride showed up.

The IGA gives out a free apple to thru hikers...nice!!

We walked out front of the hostel and waited on our ride. It had rained overnight and was raining lightly this morning.

Duane of Solo Pest Control showed up right on time. He said he's given about 50 rides to hikers going back out to the Trail this year. He is one of the reasons why I have always said that Palmerton, Pa is the friendliest town along the whole Trail to me. Thanks Duane!!!!"

max patch
10-21-2006, 13:00
here is another take on Palmerton and the Hostel there. Seems to me it may be all a matter of attitude. I took this from Stumpknockers Journal. I hope he doesnt mind me quoting it here. Seems like a pretty friendly place to me.

Sounds like a nice place. I missed Palmerton on my thru; resupplied at Port Clinton so I didn't need anything some 40 odd miles up the trail.

rickb
10-21-2006, 17:56
I said that thruhikers would eventually (like in 20 years) resemble WWII vets in that the point would be reached in that there would be no more being produced.

Why? Because more and more people who do the whole trail these days don't hike it end to end?

Even though "thu-hiker" originally meant hiking from one terminous to the other, I don't see why people hiking the whole AT can't themselves a thu hiker-- even if they don't live up to the original meaning of the word.

Its a living language, after all. Just as two men can say they are married in 2006, there is no reason why someone who has hiked the AT in non-contiguous sections can't call themselves a thu hiker.

Or did you mean something else?

The Old Fhart
10-21-2006, 18:09
rickboudrie-"Just as two men can say they are married in 2006......."I believe that belongs in one of the off topic threads! ;)

Panzer1
10-21-2006, 18:42
....there is no reason why someone who has hiked the AT in non-contiguous sections can't call themselves a thu hiker.

I always thought that a "thru-hiker" was someone making the attempt to thru-hike the whole trail. Which means:
1) when you reach Katatin you are not a "thru-hiker" anymore you are a "former thru-hiker".
2) it also means that you become a "thru-hiker" when you take your first step on Springer mountain irregardless of whether you eventually filp-flop or not.

Panzer

rickb
10-21-2006, 18:56
Good point. I would agree that thru hikers are on the AT attempting to thru hike the Trail. And once you do you become a former thru hiker or has been.

Does that mean MS doesn't think anyone will make the attempt in 20 years?

Sly
10-21-2006, 19:03
Good point. I would agree that thru hikers are on the AT attempting to thru hike the Trail. And once you do you become a former thru hiker or has been.

Didn't he say with the current maintenance, the trail is only going to last another 10 years?

max patch
10-21-2006, 19:22
Even though "thu-hiker" originally meant hiking from one terminous to the other,

It still does, at least in my dictionary.

Nean
10-21-2006, 21:37
It still does, at least in my dictionary.

Yep, it still means that.:) Though in my book MS will have thru hiked when he reaches Kent in a few weeks. :eek:
People who start and hope to complete the trail in one go are attempting to thru hike. :-?
If you succeed, you are a thru- hiker. I've heard lots of opinions from folks who have only hiked one way.....if at all.:rolleyes:
Having hiked and completed trails end to end, flip flop/hop, in sections, etc., I have formed my humble opinion.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-21-2006, 22:44
LOL, that would be the LAST thing I would want. But I appreciate the sentiment. What would be nice is seeing some Whiteblazers out on the trail along the way.OK, OK We won't come to Springer, but I'll be sitting a few road crossing with my signature chocolate milk and something you'll like a whole lot better. You may be the first thru-hike to never have to buy any 'lubricant' on the trail due to people showing up with ample trail magic.

STEVEM
10-21-2006, 22:48
Yep, it still means that.:) Though in my book MS will have thru hiked when he reaches Kent in a few weeks. :eek:
People who start and hope to complete the trail in one go are attempting to thru hike. :-?
If you succeed, you are a thru- hiker. I've heard lots of opinions from folks who have only hiked one way.....if at all.:rolleyes:
Having hiked and completed trails end to end, flip flop/hop, in sections, etc., I have formed my humble opinion.

The link below is from The Appalachain Trail Conservency Website. It lists alternative plans for a thruhike. I feel a thruhike might be defined as a continuous attempt to complete an entire trail and could include time off for rest and resupply or recovery from injury.

Were I to attempt a thruhike, I would most likely attempt the traditional GA-ME plan just as MS did. If it became apparent that it would be impossible to finish in time without leapfrogging or flipping, the ATC would still recognize my modified plan as a thruhike. I would probably be disappointed that change was necessary however.

I am sure that MS did not want to leapfrog, and is probably dissappointed that it became necessary. He will, when he reaches Kent Ct. have completed the entire AT in a continuous effort and as I see it he will have satisfied the ATC definition of a thruhiker.

I am sure many who call themselves thruhikers have flipped, skipped, blueblazed, or yellowblazed. I know one who went home for a month to paint and re-roof his ex-wifes house because he ran out of money. He came back, flipped, and calls himself a thruhiker with no shame.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

STEVEM
10-21-2006, 22:58
OK, OK We won't come to Springer, but I'll be sitting a few road crossing with my signature chocolate milk and something you'll like a whole lot better. You may be the first thru-hike to never have to buy any 'lubricant' on the trail due to people showing up with ample trail magic.

There's a big steak with his name on it here in NJ. Not because his hiking, but for what he's doing right now. He won't get thru NJ without me finding him and thanking him personally.

emerald
10-21-2006, 23:38
I believe it correct to say that Minnesota Smith is now thru-hiking the A.T. When he reaches Kent, he will have thru-hiked the A.T., but he will no longer be a thru-hiker. He's just going to be an ordinary U.S. citizen like the rest of us, some of whom have earned the distinction of becoming a 2000 Miler, whether we thru-hiked the A.T. or not.

It's not important to me how one goes about hiking the A.T. I've never thought that a thru-hike of the A.T. is in any way superior to hiking various sections in any direction or order until the A.T. is completed. What's important is to hike it all in whatever way suits one's own needs best.

It is useful and would be desireable for everyone to agree upon a meaning of the terms above so we can discuss such things and understand one another. All avocations, disciplines and professions have terminology defined in a manner agreed upon and understood by those within the group. Otherwise, no one would know what anyone is talking about.

Whether one completes the A.T. in a single hiking season or not is unimportant. Everyone should go about it as they see fit and satisfy their own defination and ATC's if they want to be certified. I believe it wise to follow ATC's lead here and consistently employ an inclusive use of the term thru-hike in its various forms rather than to be constantly debating it's meaning and arguing that it be employed more narrowly.

Actually, there are other definations of thru-hiker that are employed locally by various agencies. In those areas, the term is defined somewhat differently and this should be understood by those using these areas. At least Baxter State Park Authority, Pennsylvania Game Commission and Great Smoky Mountains National Park have their own definations which are more inclusive than the manner in which I used the term above and include what we commonly refer to as section hikers.

Sly
10-21-2006, 23:44
Were I to attempt a thruhike, I would most likely attempt the traditional GA-ME plan just as MS did.

Just like MS? What about the 1000's of others that have also attempted GA-ME? :rolleyes:

Or does that mean you'll be carrying 3 gallons of water and 6 rolls of toilet paper! :p

Heater
10-22-2006, 00:00
I believe it correct to say that Minnesota Smith is now thru-hiking the A.T. When he reaches Kent, he will have thru-hiked the A.T., but he will no longer be a thru-hiker. He's just going to be an ordinary U.S. citizen like the rest of us, some of whom have earned the distinction of becoming a 2000 Miler, whether we thru-hiked the A.T. or not.

If I am a marathon runner that runs the Boston Marathon every 2 or 3 years but I still run ocassionally to keep in shape, does that mean I am not a marathon runner when I am not running the Boston Marathon?

:-?

Sly
10-22-2006, 00:07
If I am a marathon runner that runs the Boston Marathon every 2 or 3 years but I still run ocassionally to keep in shape, does that mean I am not a marathon runner when I am not running the Boston Marathon?

I agree with what I think you're trying to say. :D One reason I refer to myself as a long distance hiker. :) Too much **** in defining thru-hiker, former thru-hiker etc. :mad:

Heater
10-22-2006, 00:14
I agree with what I think you're trying to say. :D One reason I refer to myself as a long distance hiker. :) Too much **** in defining thru-hiker, former thru-hiker etc. :mad:

That's a good way to think about it.

My point is, you dont stop being a thru-hiker or marathon runner until you decide you will not be doing it anymore. Then you say... I used to thru hike trails or run marathons or former or whatever.

Panzer1
10-22-2006, 00:45
if he really said the last part...People hear what they want to hear and sometimes people dont really say what they mean.

MS strikes me as the type of guy who does not back off from what he says, even if it gets him in trouble which seems to happen often. If he says
"no more being produced" then I will take him at his word.

Panzer

SGT Rock
10-22-2006, 01:08
OK, OK We won't come to Springer, but I'll be sitting a few road crossing with my signature chocolate milk and something you'll like a whole lot better. You may be the first thru-hike to never have to buy any 'lubricant' on the trail due to people showing up with ample trail magic.

Now that I would appreciate. Nothing like hiking down to a gap and getting something unexpected.

And we call it "muscle relaxant" in our family ;)

There's a big steak with his name on it here in NJ. Not because his hiking, but for what he's doing right now. He won't get thru NJ without me finding him and thanking him personally.

That is something else I look forward to. Nothing like a bloody hunk o' meat :D

STEVEM
10-22-2006, 01:19
Just like MS? What about the 1000's of others that have also attempted GA-ME? :rolleyes:

Or does that mean you'll be carrying 3 gallons of water and 6 rolls of toilet paper! :p

Sly, My point is that GA-ME is the traditional scenario as evidenced by the many thousands who have chosen that plan (including MS).

I could actually start at my front door, walk six miles to High Point, NJ hike South, come home then do the other half. This idea feels good to me also, There is something quite appealing to me about the idea of hiking from my front door to either Springer or Katahdin.

I would actually carry as little as possible. The idea of an AT hike at least in my opinion is to enjoy yourself, and nature and to push yourself beyond your normal limits. It seems silly to carry needless weight, I would get more out of a thruhike carrying 30 Lbs than 50 Lbs. I actually already know that I couldn't carry 50 Lbs so why try.

Why MS continues to carry as much as he does is unknown to me. By now I would think that he would have lessened his burden. I would have thought that his experience would have shown him that some of what he carries is excessive and perhaps unnecessary. He is still out there however. He has to carry all that stuff not me, HYOH.

Another area where I would depart from the MS model relates to shelters and town visits. I would actually try to avoid shelters. I seem to need a little more personal space than a shelter provides. Regarding towns, I would visit do my business and be on my way.

I find MS to be an interesting character, not a model for me or anyone else.

The things he does seem to work for him. He may manage to offend some people (though I suspect some people consider having their ear talked-off to be offensive). I doubt if anyone can seriously say they felt threatened or frightened by MS.

Nean
10-22-2006, 05:55

Yes, but define long distance. Seems to me like anyone who hikes more than 2 days calles themselves LDHs.:confused:

MedicineMan
10-22-2006, 06:06
Yes, but define long distance. Seems to me like anyone who hikes more than 2 days calles themselves LDHs.:confused:

So what is long distance? Nimblewill surely makes the grade from Harpers Ferry to Oregon and back...Lone Wolf and I had this discussion at the Gathering...I mentioned I kinda felt out of place there since my little section hikes never amount to more than 60 miles and that is long distance compared to a 3 hour day hike....so where do you draw the line?
Its not that I dont want to go out for 4 or 6 months just that the kids need some money coming in to power their academic machine.....

Nean
10-22-2006, 06:21
So what is long distance? Nimblewill surely makes the grade from Harpers Ferry to Oregon and back...Lone Wolf and I had this discussion at the Gathering...I mentioned I kinda felt out of place there since my little section hikes never amount to more than 60 miles and that is long distance compared to a 3 hour day hike....so where do you draw the line?
Its not that I dont want to go out for 4 or 6 months just that the kids need some money coming in to power their academic machine.....

My point is the line is even less defined than w/ thruhiker!:eek:

This site, the gatherings, etc. are for hikers. Distance, direction, speed have nothing to do with it. :)

As you pointed out MM, there are things that are much more important.;)

Topcat
10-22-2006, 08:23
MS strikes me as the type of guy who does not back off from what he says, even if it gets him in trouble which seems to happen often. If he says
"no more being produced" then I will take him at his word.

Panzer

He strikes me as the kind of guy who says one thing, then does another, but i only get that impression from his posts, i have never met him so i cant say for sure. Examples of this is his bad mouthing the huts in NH, asking for lists of stealth campsites, then staying at every hut through the section "begging" (his word) for stay.

Still, he is doing what i always wanted to do and have a few years left before i can, so congrats for him. Hopefully he will develop the social skills needed to meet his future goals which include finding a wife and starting a family.

STEVEM
10-22-2006, 08:34
Topcat, Take a look back at your post #3234 on page 162. It updates every 15 minutes. Snow on K today. Do you know if there is a way to use this as a screensaver or desktop background such that it continually updates? Anytime I have saved a webcam image it becomes a static photo.

Topcat
10-22-2006, 08:42
I dont know of how you can do that, i check it every morning as my moment of zen (to steal a line from the daily show). You can save it as your home page when you open up explorer so it is the first thing you see when you open up the internet.

check out these cams too:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/index.php

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

http://www.locationpreview.com/viewcam.php?id=563

you will have to wait a while for the last 2 as they are west coast and hawaii.

Your right, the veiw of big K is awsome today

Sly
10-22-2006, 09:27

Two days? I've walked more just to resupply! :D

mdionne
10-22-2006, 09:29
i can put up with the hypocrisies you spew behind the keyboard but your actions are giving a really bad name for future thru hikers. it's really pissing me off!!! escorted off campus and now your squatting at a shelter waiting for days for people to bring you magic. what's the matter with you?:mad:

Topcat
10-22-2006, 09:39
i can put up with the hypocrisies you spew behind the keyboard but your actions are giving a really bad name for future thru hikers. it's really pissing me off!!! escorted off campus and now your squatting at a shelter waiting for days for people to bring you magic. what's the matter with you?:mad:

Dont hold back, tell us how your really feel........;)

Trajectory
10-22-2006, 13:22
I said that thruhikers would eventually (like in 20 years) resemble WWII vets in that the point would be reached in that there would be no more being produced.

The only logical conclusion that can be drawn from this statement is that there will be no more humans in 20 years.

Sly
10-22-2006, 13:39
Where's minnismith today? Is it snowing in VT yet? :eek:

emerald
10-22-2006, 13:42
I mentioned I kinda felt out of place there [The Gathering] since my little section hikes never amount to more than 60 miles and that is long distance compared to a 3 hour day hike....so where do you draw the line?
It's not that I don't want to go out for 4 or 6 months just that the kids need some money coming in to power their academic machine.....

To feel out-of-place, I think would be inconsistent with the original intent of the organization. It was meant to be as inclusive as possible. I recollect there was considerable debate and difficulty in finding a name which seemed to represent the intended bredth of the organization. Specifically, I remember one of the groups that was meant to be included was trail angels whether they were hikers or not.

rickb
10-22-2006, 13:50
The only logical conclusion that can be drawn from this statement is that there will be no more humans in 20 years.

Perhaps his tag line holds a clue:

[The AT] will not be won by weaklings, subtle, suave and mild, But by men with the hearts of Vikings, and the simple faith of a child."

Perhaps he thinks that people (and hikers in particular) are becoming weaker and softer over time.

Sort of natural progression from Earl Shaffer to Warren Doyle to MS to No more hikers at all!

Who could argue with that logic!

Topcat
10-22-2006, 13:56
That would be good logic, but not fair to compare MS to Earl Shaffer. There are plenty of hard core tough as nails males and females who hiked the trail this year.

emerald
10-22-2006, 13:58
This site, the gatherings, etc. are for hikers. Distance, direction, speed have nothing to do with it. :)

As you pointed out MM, there are things that are much more important.;)

I just want to point out that I agree. Language is imperfect and sometimes fails us. That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying.

Earlier this year, I tried to convince someone to attend The Gathering. She thought it to be nothing more than a reunion of those who had thru-hiked the A.T. and thus she thought she would feel out of place having never done so.

I did my best to convince her it was about far more than that! It was in fact among other things to bring together those who had with those who had not yet but had the desire. One of the primary reasons it was formed was to assist the latter group in joining the former.

emerald
10-22-2006, 14:03
Perhaps he thinks that people (and hikers in particular) are becoming weaker and softer over time.

Sort of natural progression from Earl Shaffer to Warren Doyle to MS to No more hikers at all!

Who could argue with that logic!

Now there's a nightcrawler with a hook hidden inside it! Sorry, Rick, I just ate.;) :)

weary
10-22-2006, 14:59
Where's minnismith today? Is it snowing in VT yet? :eek:
It snowed Friday night at the SAddleback ski area lodge near Rangeley, Maine, elevation probably around 2,500 feet. The lodge was the site of the Maine Mountain Conference, held Friday night and all day Saturday.

It was a great conference. Around 230 people paid $35 to register and most showed up despite obnoxious weather. The consensus: Maine mountains are the wildest, most remote, most fragile and most threatened in the East

Pam Underhill, director of the Appalachian National Scenic TRail and 24 others spoke at the various panel discussions.The conference was pretty much initiated by the Maine Appalachian Trail Land TRust, though we had 11 cosponsors that helped pay the bills and boost attendance.

Myself and Dick Fecteau an overseer of the Bigelow District for MATC were Co-chairs, though Dick did most of the work.

Weary www.matlt.org

emerald
10-22-2006, 19:14
I'm sure I would have found that very interesting Weary. You know Pennsylvania ought not be so far from Maine. I think I came to that conclusion a number of times before.

Now that MinnesotaSmith is finished with Maine, I wonder if he can summit Glastenbury Mountain? Back on topic!;)

Panzer1
10-22-2006, 21:50

It now turns out that the flag pole that the marines and sailor used to raise the american flag over Mt Suribachi was actually a Jananese water pipe that was found laying around on the top of the mountain/volcano. I just thought you might like to know that.

Panzer
(sorry, I know I'm quoting myself.)

mweinstone
10-23-2006, 08:40
today, a man named minnisota smith was seen ..........

Dances with Mice
10-23-2006, 08:46
It now turns out that the flag pole that the marines and sailor used to raise the american flag over Mt Suribachi was actually a Jananese water pipe that was found laying around on the top of the mountain/volcano. I just thought you might like to know that. Forever after known affectionately as "Pole, Flag, Battlefield Expedient - Part No. PB86-216710".

mweinstone
10-23-2006, 09:37
i have a dream! that all thru hikers.....of all nations,colors, and creeds ,......hike in peace. that no one shall curse ms. that shine be legal. that ms finnishes. that i get a tax payment plan that allowes me to thru in february. and finnally,.i have a dream,.....about this chick who is so right for me. yeah,.. she does the greatest things in my dreams!

mweinstone
10-23-2006, 09:39
now i must go sand the crap out of a nasty old bathroom in a paper suit and a respirator.while minnisota smith hears the sound of fall leaves crunching crunchilly under his now swollen and ugly battle feet.

mweinstone
10-23-2006, 12:30
furthermore,... now that im covered in joint compound dust, witch by the way contains the legally acceptable amounts of aspestose,......im now ready to rant and rave! first on my list is the distinct lack of questions for our boy ms. dear minnisota smith,.. do you still like hiking and hiking food and sleeping in filth and being hungry? i know the answer is yes but go ahead and answer in your own words. second, where the hell is minnisota smith and why am i not hiking with him? oh yeah,... cause i woosed out like a thee wheeled woosie on crack headed for the crack store. and finaly,.. what the fuch? and also,.....who the fuch? and where the fuch did ms go?

Sly
10-23-2006, 12:55
Yeah, can someone send minnismith a cellphone so we can get daily updates? The suspense is killiing matt and it's too painful to bear.

sherrill
10-23-2006, 13:15
Matt, if you're covered in compound dust, I hope you're posting on your own computer.

mweinstone
10-23-2006, 13:59
hey minnisota, im in whole foods market, that bashton of organics. im dropping lead and fungus everywhere and overhandleing the vegetables.anyone need fruit? no handeling charge! freash toxic fruit? did you know that 4 out of 5 dentists recomend lead and aspestoes for there patients who chew gum?

Heater
10-23-2006, 14:04
did you know that 4 out of 5 dentists recomend lead and aspestoes for there patients who chew gum?

Have you done a lot of this type of paint prep work in the past? :D :D

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 14:06
i really need a woman ms. if you have extra.

Maybe that joker can spare the Ace of Diamonds from his deck. ;)

Mother's Finest
10-23-2006, 16:10
Mowgli you just sparked my memory....

"I can tell the queen of diamonds by the way she shines"

not too sure if MS appreciates Hunter or Barlow and their poetry. if not, you should check it out Minnesota Smith.

peace
mf

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 16:13
Mowgli you just sparked my memory....

"I can tell the queen of diamonds by the way she shines"

peace
mf

Does that make you a Loser? ;)

Mother's Finest
10-23-2006, 18:14
I am a Big Big Loser.....

actually, I believe, one of their greatest works of lyrical poetry.

and, as a cheap aside/sales job, you should check out these guys if you ever get the chance. www.borisgarcia.com (http://www.borisgarcia.com)

I came first, then the name of their second CD....but something green named Mother's Finest came before all of us.

peace
mf

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 18:22

and, as a cheap aside/sales job, you should check out these guys if you ever get the chance. www.borisgarcia.com (http://www.borisgarcia.com)

I came first, then the name of their second CD....but something green named Mother's Finest came before all of us.

peace
mf

The best Loser the boys ever played IMO was 12/29/77 - Thursday Night at Winterland. It is captured on Dicks Picks 10. I had a 1st GEN soundboard tape back in 1979. Jerry has a scorching solo in that version of Loser.

PS: The rest of the show is great too. I love the Jack Straw opener. Here's the set list;

JACK STRAW (7:06)
THEY LOVE EACH OTHER (7:45)
MAMA TRIED (3:49)
LOSER (8:30)
LOOKS LIKE RAIN (8:39)
TENNESSEE JED (9:09)
NEW MINGLEWOOD BLUES (6:05)
SUGAREE (14:19)
PROMISED LAND (4:35)
BERTHA (7:21)
GOOD LOVIN' (6:51)
PLAYING IN THE BAND (15:48)
CHINA CAT SUNFLOWER (5:39)
I KNOW YOU RIDER (5:27)
CHINA DOLL (7:24)
PLAYING JAM (1:40)
DRUMS (2:39)
NOT FADE AWAY (10:05)
PLAYING IN THE BAND (4:48)
TERRAPIN STATION (10:29)
Encore: JOHNNY B. GOODE (4:34)

Mother's Finest
10-23-2006, 18:27
Own it, know it, love it.
In 79 and onward, having that board copy must have been pretty sweet.

You have me by a few years, but I was lucky enough to see them 37 times prior to Mr. Garcia moving on....Some of my best memories.

I wonder if Minnesota Smith has ever seen the Grateful Dead play live?

peace
mf

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 18:30
You have me by a few years, but I was lucky enough to see them 37 times prior to Mr. Garcia moving on....Some of my best memories.

peace
mf

I lost count after 50 shows. My first show was May 78 at the Philly Spectrum.

As for MS, I seriously doubt it. Probably would have done him some good.

A-Train
10-23-2006, 19:25
The best Loser the boys ever played IMO was 12/29/77 - Thursday Night at Winterland. It is captured on Dicks Picks 10. I had a 1st GEN soundboard tape back in 1979. Jerry has a scorching solo in that version of Loser.

PS: The rest of the show is great too. I love the Jack Straw opener. Here's the set list;

JACK STRAW (7:06)
THEY LOVE EACH OTHER (7:45)
MAMA TRIED (3:49)
LOSER (8:30)
LOOKS LIKE RAIN (8:39)
TENNESSEE JED (9:09)
NEW MINGLEWOOD BLUES (6:05)
SUGAREE (14:19)
PROMISED LAND (4:35)
BERTHA (7:21)
GOOD LOVIN' (6:51)
PLAYING IN THE BAND (15:48)
CHINA CAT SUNFLOWER (5:39)
I KNOW YOU RIDER (5:27)
CHINA DOLL (7:24)
PLAYING JAM (1:40)
DRUMS (2:39)
NOT FADE AWAY (10:05)
PLAYING IN THE BAND (4:48)
TERRAPIN STATION (10:29)
Encore: JOHNNY B. GOODE (4:34)

I heard Minnesota was at this show

ed bell
10-23-2006, 20:03
I love the new direction of the thread.:sun

Panzer1
10-23-2006, 20:22
... that shine be legal. ...

Can you burn shine in an alcohol stove??

Panzer

Panzer1
10-23-2006, 20:27

Yea, actually all the arguing and name calling was better that this stuff. scheese..

Panzer

ed bell
10-23-2006, 20:29
1977-78 was loaded with the kind of shows I love.:sun I remember a Cornell 77 that had a Dancing in the Streets that I couldn't get enough of, and I really can't stand that song.:sun

neo
10-23-2006, 20:30
:D yeah i know what ya mean:cool: neo

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 20:32
1977-78 was loaded with the kind of shows I love.:sun I remember a Cornell 77 that had a Dancing in the Streets that I couldn't get enough of, and I really can't stand that song.:sun

I was at Cornell in '80. Fantastic Shakedown. Great Black Peter too.

ed bell
10-23-2006, 20:39
Yea, actually all the arguing and name calling was better that this stuff. scheese..

PanzerWhatever floats your boat Pansy1.:);)

rickb
10-23-2006, 20:41
I was at Cornell in '80. Fantastic Shakedown. Great Black Peter too.

You ever take a road trip for a show in Binghamton in those days? :D

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 20:44
Even better was a show at Nassau Coliseum in May 1981. Dicks Picks 13 captures the concert. Mowgli was in the Front Row.

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 20:48
You ever take a road trip for a show in Binghamton in those days? :D

No, but I got stuck in Binghampton while hitching home from Ithaca after the Cornell show. For like 4 hours. With a beautiful woman by my side. I guess my looks balanced it out.

I came home 4 days after school let out to find out my mother had called the State Police thinking I had been killed while hitchhiking 350 miles from school to home. I left out a minor detail - the Dead show and 2 days of partying on the campus of Cornell. My poor parents. :o

Panzer1
10-23-2006, 20:52
Panzer

Whatever floats your boat Pansy1.:);)

Yeaaa, now that's better....

Panzer

neo
10-23-2006, 21:29
:) i would rather be talking about hillary:cool: neo

ed bell
10-23-2006, 22:45
:) i would rather be talking about hillary:cool: neoWell, go ahead. I haven't seen an on topic post here for quite a while. Hell, most posts here have no topic. I still like 'em weinstone.:sun

Sly
10-23-2006, 23:19
Anyone know what degree Minnismith's sleeping bag is? Looks like the weather is going to suck up there this week. Poor bastard! :p

ed bell
10-23-2006, 23:31
Anyone know what degree Minnismith's sleeping bag is? No worries, he's hard core by now. Easy street.:sun Must be like a walk in the park.;)

Sly
10-23-2006, 23:34
No worries, he's hard core by now. Easy street.:sun Must be like a walk in the park.;)

Yeah but he doesn't have as much fat to keep him warm! :D

ed bell
10-24-2006, 00:13
"Well, I married me a wife;
she's been trouble all my life.
Run me out in the cold rain and snow."

Back on track.:):sun

Heater
10-24-2006, 02:42
Anyone know what degree Minnismith's sleeping bag is? Looks like the weather is going to suck up there this week. Poor bastard! :p

He could always wrap himself up in Toilet Paper for extra insulation! ;)

He carrys enough for an extra 15 degrees, easy. Pure genius on his part! :D

Dances with Mice
10-24-2006, 06:05
The number of 'views' The Thread has gotten is larger than the population of Tallahassee Florida.

MOWGLI
10-24-2006, 06:40
The number of 'views' The Thread has gotten is larger than the population of Tallahassee Florida.

Kinda like rubber necking at a wreck.

Dances with Mice
10-24-2006, 07:32
I was on tour with The Thread back in the early '80s but then the whole parking lot scene went way too commercial.

MOWGLI
10-24-2006, 07:43
I was on tour with The Thread back in the early '80s but then the whole parking lot scene went way too commercial.

Don't eat the brown ramen dude.

MOWGLI
10-24-2006, 08:31
Calling all Deadheads! Checkout a Ryan Adams version of Stella Blue - live from Munich. http://www.ryan-adams.com/tourTracker.html

mdionne
10-24-2006, 09:02
5/19/74 is a smoker...

love the peggy-o and wharf rat!:D

MOWGLI, i'm just getting back to maine from PA after month and a half stint, i've been putting together naomi's package over the weekend, i'll throw in a couple of dead/jerry cd's.:sun

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 09:16
yes panzer ,.. there really is a sata clause. and he does burn shine in his alcohol stove. its wonderful cause you can swig from your fuel bottle like a real wino. and as to the degree of minnisota smiths sleeping bag,.. its a 33rd degree mason. and minnisota smith is allways available to feild questions regarding his hike . and you may not refer to a grateful dead cd as a dead jerry cd. also, my only dead show was also the spectrum in may of 79 .i think. also,. there will be no bears while you are sleeping. and. minnisota smith has now been in the woods for a long long time. that is all.

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 09:19
minnisota smith you rock you bastard! we love you you son of a bitch. your one of the best dammed friends a hiker could have. keep on truckin mr smith!

Sly
10-24-2006, 09:38
I imagine minninsmith should be hitting Killington soon. From there, it's to the free 12 Tribes Hostel where he'll give up all his worldly possessions, find a bride, and have a couple kids, Could be 20 years before he finishes!

STEVEM
10-24-2006, 10:55
I imagine minninsmith should be hitting Killington soon. From there, it's to the free 12 Tribes Hostel where he'll give up all his worldly possessions, find a bride, and have a couple kids, Could be 20 years before he finishes!

Sly, They are waiting for the return of their King, for whom a bride has been prepared. The "Great Comet" could easily be mistaken for Yahshua especially with that tree trunk he carries. Who better to dispatch "The Evil One" than Minnesota Smith.

MOWGLI
10-24-2006, 11:18
Who better to dispatch "The Evil One" than Minnesota Smith.

He's a masochist? :rolleyes:

Panzer1
10-24-2006, 11:19
yes panzer ,.. there really is a sata clause. and he does burn shine in his alcohol stove. its wonderful cause you can swig from your fuel bottle like a real wino.

Then why would not shine be the best all-around fuel to carry. You could drink any fuel left over in the stove after cooking.
You could cook or drink, take your pick. You also save weight because one bottle carries both fuel and drink.

Panzer

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 14:45
useing liquor of any fllammable proof works great. the cost and availability prohibit this. minnisota smith will be feeling sad soon as the end draws near. and as thread court jester i must offer a deep apology for the treatment at times of ms by some thread members.as a remote veiwer i know that ms is pritty pissed off about the blaze right about now. you guys pushed too hard when our boy was feeling frisky from a katadhin summit. try to remember hes human folks. we all brag or egsagerate or lie so dont think ms is perfect. hes not. hes a rough and tumble thru hiker to be now. lets start giving the respect thrus deserve.and dont forget that hes also a colorful charicter who is fun to question. theres more to minnesota smith than meets the screen. all in all we dont want to be remembered as having teased and badgered ms, a brother hiker. be kind in these last weeks and lets all try to revisit the old days of the thread when real discussion took place. and envy and jelosy for ever and ever. amen.

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 15:09
dear ms, i must sign off and go home where there is no internet signal. know this, my night will be filled with envy for your night.say hi to the trail for me would you?

twosticks
10-24-2006, 15:32
useing liquor of any fllammable proof works great. the cost and availability prohibit this. minnisota smith will be feeling sad soon as the end draws near. and as thread court jester i must offer a deep apology for the treatment at times of ms by some thread members.as a remote veiwer i know that ms is pritty pissed off about the blaze right about now. you guys pushed too hard when our boy was feeling frisky from a katadhin summit. try to remember hes human folks. we all brag or egsagerate or lie so dont think ms is perfect. hes not. hes a rough and tumble thru hiker to be now. lets start giving the respect thrus deserve.and dont forget that hes also a colorful charicter who is fun to question. theres more to minnesota smith than meets the screen. all in all we dont want to be remembered as having teased and badgered ms, a brother hiker. be kind in these last weeks and lets all try to revisit the old days of the thread when real discussion took place. and envy and jelosy for ever and ever. amen.

I agree. Go MS finish that walk and start making plans for Alaska.

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 16:37
it is with a heavy heart i must report minnisota smith has left the trail. his reasons were not clear but from the sound of it, whatever pissed him off has been festering a while. his call was short and angry. his exact words? " ive left the trail not to return, tell everyone i tryed my best" i dont know what to think right now.

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 16:39
except,.....psyck!............psyck psyck psyck............................................. ........si ye k! psyckyboo on you!

sherrill
10-24-2006, 16:46
Nice Bill the Cat impression Matt.

Sly
10-24-2006, 16:46
it is with a heavy heart i must report minnisota smith has left the trail. his reasons were not clear but from the sound of it, whatever pissed him off has been festering a while. his call was short and angry. his exact words? " ive left the trail not to return, tell everyone i tryed my best" i dont know what to think right now.

Well, if this is true he wouldn't be the 1st to not finish so close to the end. If for some reason he quit because of this thread, it's a very poor excuse.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2006, 16:53
Well, if this is true he wouldn't be the 1st to not finish so close to the end. If for some reason he quit because of this thread, it's a very poor excuse.

Ski is just yankin your crank.:)

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 16:54
ive got innernet and im a happy boy, ...la la... la la la la.......! oh im gonna post the crap out of you,.....la la.... la la la la! minnisota who? minnisota what? ....how dare you speak to me in that tone sir? ill have you know im matthewski and im here to post everyone into a weird yet boreing , interestingly morbid, unimportant, misspelled,............ death by post. lets get this party started. first i want everyone not to think about ms . as hard as you can now. no thinking! okay,...hello and welcome to minnisota smith update,.. shall we take our first caller? go ahead caller ,your live on msu......
hello ,.. im doug from mississippi and my question is for ms. what are the people who attack you online questioning you about? is it your politics, your hiking or anything that comes out of your mouth? thanks ill take the answer off the air.
doug , were going to have a bit of a delay getting our answer from the man so while we wait for him to return to the studios, lets keep taking calls. next caller go ahead and welcom to minnisota smith update,.. you have a question for myself or minnisota smith?
yes, this is judy from new jerset. my question is for matthewski. how did you become so into ms's hike?
good question judy. im very simple and get happy at the flip of a stick.seeing minnisota smith work his trail majic was real fun for me.im studying him and getting to know him as we all are.wildcard line your live go ahead whats your question for ms?............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .........................

Sly
10-24-2006, 17:18
Ski is just yankin your crank.:)

I don't think I want ski yanking my crank! :mad: Let him yank his own crank if he has nothing better to do! :rolleyes: Or MS's :D

MOWGLI
10-24-2006, 17:23
Go MS! Only three states left!

Feel better Matthewski?

Heater
10-24-2006, 17:53
I don't think I want ski yanking my crank! :mad: Let him yank his own crank if he has nothing better to do! :rolleyes: Or MS's :D

Why am I reminded of the song by "the Vapors" titled "I Think I'm Turning Japanese"?

:D

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 09:00
good morning america! good morning minnesota smith! you lucky dog you. you lucky lucky dog. hows my trail? treating her with respect? leaving no trace? yo soda,.... how cold is it ? whats your finnish date? how much money have you spent on trail? these and other questions seem to be burning in my mind. are you good to go? are we looking at any kind of celebration? can you be planning your first day off trail yet? why arnt you posting? did you die/ can you communicate from the other side? is jesus there? can you put him on a minute? do you have enough gas left in the tank to be a cheerful hiker? is there an element of drudgery in this section in that the summit was reached allready? do water bottles freeze enough of the time to piss you off? is the privy seat iced? have the shelter mice changed there agenda from food to sleeping with you for warmth? how lonly is the trail and how changed are the leaves? leaves falling? im really thinking alot about your finnishing so soon. this has been a cool ass hike my man. i really respect your abillity. great job minni.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 09:07
no innernet , no nuthin. just sporatic interupted cafe signals with a tease of net at home once a week for half an hour. periods of suckyness with occational bummouts exspected tonight. tommorow will be radioactive and dammaging. looking ahead the five day forcast has showers of acid rain and death by free radicals.thats it ,....im gonna ask ms if i can come finnish the trail with him. ms,....can i come walk with you for a week or two?

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 18:51
hey panzer! i found a sweet spot of service in my apt! i have to stand on a ladder in a window. its a stable wormhole! woo hoo! wow it makes my feet hurt. gonna buld a stool about 7 feet tall. yo ms! go baby.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 19:18
minnisota smith ,... we see you. keep walking. you can die on your own time. hurry up allready.

and the rest of you, nobody said stop posting.lets go.

got my innernet off the ceiling. whew. chairs,...who doesnt love em.

keep hiking!

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 19:39
my old avatar was an insult to minnesota smith. i choose not to wait till new years to change it .as i was a member of the class of 2006. i was not a graduating member.i am a member of the class of 2007 now. its time to let go.i belive i can hike in the spring.i would be more than honored if ms followes my hike.and if the money isnt there for 07, it will be for many other years.minnisota smith you cant know how lucky you are. you have all our prayers.

Skidsteer
10-25-2006, 20:43
hey panzer! i found a sweet spot of service in my apt! i have to stand on a ladder in a window. its a stable wormhole! woo hoo! wow it makes my feet hurt. gonna buld a stool about 7 feet tall. yo ms! go baby.

Matt! Are you poaching wireless from your neighbors?:D

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 20:44
ms didnt leave the trail and im sorry .bad joke. panzer,...we need to get wify a traillname. im thinking giant daisy, because thats what a peace activist would put in a panzers muzzle.see, women calm men. so your a tank and that makes c a giant daisy! see? intelegence vs brawn ,.. at calming down,...daisy wins.at going fast, brawn wins.and it sounds cool. say it,...GIANT DAISY.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 20:48
yes i am. its there fault for not encrypting their router. they get a pop up telling them im here. but they never know how to encrypt or they dont care. nobody can access anyones crap. not that i got crap. wish i had some crap but i dont so ..........thats all i have to say about that.

ed bell
10-25-2006, 20:51
Matt! Are you poaching wireless from your neighbors?:DMS would not approve.:-?

Pokey2006
10-25-2006, 20:55
Oh, my goodness! I feel like I should be doing some serious drugs in order to understand what this Mathewski is saying!

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 20:58
im asking some kind soul who cares to go back to minnisotas last known position and calculate travel based on his zeros and probuble next innernet access . and in the event hes inishiated directive four,silent running, a projected finnish date. i feel we are close enough to call it.

Pokey2006
10-25-2006, 21:00
That actually makes sense! Must say, I'm curious, too. This has been too entertaining!

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 21:01
our boys like a friggin tube missle runnin for the border.hes got a cigar and a flask and a song in his heart and he probubly ditched us like so much negitive vibe.i kinda really miss the ol coot.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 21:07
will someone smell fart and smell him we need new numbers?

the contact probubility graph has him calling dances in 5 days . outside minnimum contact .of course for really comprehensive info one should refer to the master mission notes witch are archived in the smithsonian.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 21:09
ms dosnt do drugs of any kind. you heard wrong. get down and gimmi fifty.

Pokey2006
10-25-2006, 21:11
Got me thinking...what's the record for the longest continuous hike of the AT? Meaning the longest true thru-hike, not longest section hike. Just curious if MS is getting close to it.

ed bell
10-25-2006, 21:35
Got me thinking...what's the record for the longest continuous hike of the AT? Meaning the longest true thru-hike, not longest section hike. Just curious if MS is getting close to it.I'm not certain, but I don't think he is close to that by a longshot. Additionally, thru-hikers have prolonged their hikes on purpose. I seriously doubt MS wants his hike to last any more than he is physically capable of.

the goat
10-25-2006, 21:37
Got me thinking...what's the record for the longest continuous hike of the AT? Meaning the longest true thru-hike, not longest section hike. Just curious if MS is getting close to it.

nah, ms ain't even close. there was a dude several years ago that did the a.t. in like 16 months, or something.

Pokey2006
10-25-2006, 21:45
It's one thing to stretch it out on purpose to keep it from ending too soon, but 16 months??? I couldn't imagine. Even how long MS has been out there -- that's gotta do a number on a person.

Panzer1
10-25-2006, 21:51
If he makes it Lone Wolf owes me a beer...

Panzer

The Old Fhart
10-25-2006, 21:54
Boston-"old phart is particularly adept at figuring out mileages and approx. finish time..paging fharty..."Not enough input to give any good estimates. If the sherpas quit and MS left Hanover on the 21st carrying a full pack, Killington/Rutland area tonight or tomorrow, Manchester Center and internet by 10-30, Bennington 11-5 with more internet possibilities, North Adams, MA, around 11-8.

If the weather doesn't turn bad or MS doesn't take to much time on the keyboard or in more dorm rooms I'd guess he'd finish at Kent somewheres between Thanksgiving and the end of November. All these estimates are subject to change.

As to the longest thru hike, it depends how you define it. Generally it is considered one year(365 days) although if you don't take significient time off, I don't see why that should be a limit. The ATC will still consider him a 2000 miler, just like anyone else that finishes the trail.

Pokey2006
10-25-2006, 22:05
I feel for anyone hiking in New England right now, and until Thanksgiving? Wowee! More power to him, provided he doesn't freeze to death on the way!

Panzer1
10-25-2006, 22:07
At 16 months that's probably 180 days of hiking 300 days of zeroes.

Panzer

ed bell
10-25-2006, 22:17
I just hope MS hasn't let his hike become a job that just has to get done. :-? Oh well, I guess that's just projecting on my part. Go MS.:cool:

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 22:17
boston,.. i also think thanksgiving would be a cool goal. to be home eating turkey. yeah.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 22:18
thanksgiving on the trail has gotta suck.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 22:20
turkey raman, turkey jerky, turkey macs an cheese, turkey soup mix and turkey slim jims. and for desert,..... a cranberry jolly rancher.

the goat
10-25-2006, 22:26

nah, i've done thanksgiving on the trail, and it's been really nice. with the proper planning and timing, it can be glorious!:sun

The Old Fhart
10-25-2006, 22:42
I've got a chance to spend the entire week of Thanksgiving on the summit of Mt. Washington but I'm trying to get the dates changed slightly so I don't miss the huge family gathering. How does the old song go: "There's no place like home for the holidays."

neo
If he makes it Lone Wolf ows me a beer...

Panzer

:) minnsmth is going to make it,he is a trail legend,lets all just cheer him on:cool: neo

mweinstone
02-21-2006, 20:15

L. Wolf

View my Gallery

He'll yellow blaze.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 22:48
02-25-2006, 13:58

L. Wolf

View my Gallery

It'll be at Dot's.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 22:50
fourteen charicters and four words that spell relief.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2006, 22:53
It'll be at Dot's.

And I did buy him dinner.:)

saimyoji
fourteen charicters and four words that spell relief.

"Smoke a big joint"??

ed bell
I'm in Gatlinburg TN as I write this, having hitched a ride in this afternoon. I made it over Clingman's yesterday (great 360 view, 8" snow patches on occasion, 1/2 mile of the Trail on the N. side going down was a glacier, met 5+ time thru-hiker/uber gram snob Wolf there, etc.). Today was snow, sleet, and freezing rain from dawn on, until I got a ride into town.

Right now I have an issue I'd love help with. I spent over an hour in freezing rain trying to hitch a ride back to the Trail with no one so much as thinking of stopping. I made it to the Happy Hiker outfitter (great store and people). The local shuttle operator is not going to run any more today, fearing Hwy. 441 will be closed before they get home. The local taxi charges forty bucks. The local motels are pricey, and there is no hostel in Gatlinburg. Does anyone know of either or both of A) someone who will run me back to the Trailhead tonight for a reasonable price, or B) will let me sleep in their garage or something for the usual hostel price of 15 dollars? Here is you MS flashback for today!;):sun

ed bell
10-25-2006, 23:01
The way I figure it, the Whites will often have such glorious views to compensate fully for everything unpleasant that happens there (other than perhaps the Appalachian Money Club's screwing thruhikers). Maine? By the time I get that far along, only broken bones or worse will serve as a personal issue to stop me. I'd eat nothing but Ramen and hike solely at night through Maine, if that was the price it cost me to get to Katahdin, once I get that close to finishing.Maybe he is hiking 24/7 now.:D

ed bell
10-25-2006, 23:03
By the way, he's gonna make it. :sun

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:08
no one has been on the trail as long as ms this year. by far.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2006, 23:11
no one has been on the trail as long as ms this year. by far.

i betcha he's not enjoying it anymore. i betcha he wants it to be over.

ed bell
10-25-2006, 23:11
no one has been on the trail as long as ms this year. by far.As far as you know.:-?

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:15
hey ed,.. what was the date he was in gat burg? cause that was the day after i went ahead of ms and i was with him from neels. ive allways wondered how many days did we walk together. you have the facts.can you tell me?

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:18
actually iwent ahead at the point a days march to fontana.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:20
ed, i know nothing! i guess, lie, fabricate, hallucinate, brag, boast, bull****, berate bully and barf. i do not know.

Sly
10-25-2006, 23:22

Yeah think? IMO, the trail is a great place to have Thanksgiving. Seldom is anyone else is out there, nice! Got to be thankful for that. :)

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:22
i know lone wolfs right. i think its become awsom torture and lonly.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:24
on the other hand, he could be having a spiritual awakening.

Sly
10-25-2006, 23:30
on the other hand, he could be having a spiritual awakening.

He'll find that at the free 12 Tribes Hostel , along with a wife. Hike over. microminni's on the way... :eek:

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:30
i had a routine for years where i would spend the new year on the trail above port clinton. at poccohauntass spring. its wonderfull to be removed from mans goings ons on such a night to be with god.i saw flashes of fireworks from reading and realized how close we allways are.but even a small swath of bushes keeps the world at bay with its green and life filled self.and in winter, the evergreens at hamburg resevior smell and feel wonderful. and the trees exsplode in ice storms with fireworks of there own.

ed bell
10-25-2006, 23:34
1) I wrote this haiku, and have posted it in several trail registers recently.
A haiku is a poem style of Japanese origin. It is 3 lines, with 5-7-5 syllables.

The Appalachian Trail

Rocky ups and downs
it’s supposed to have flat parts
I’ve seen maybe two.

........Here is one of my favorite MS posts. Mathewski, I found the date on that other post- March 20, 2006.:sun You can do it son. Get your ass out there again and let the miles roll under your comfortable shoes.:)

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:36
goodnight minnisota smith. your a legond. bet you never figured on that! sweet dreems.hike well. kaplach! what ever that means in klingon.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:40
cool. i walked with the man about 24 days.im a legond.

mweinstone
10-25-2006, 23:45
that is a great hiku.

the goat
10-25-2006, 23:48
Yeah think? IMO, the trail is a great place to have Thanksgiving. Seldom is anyone else is out there, nice! Got to be thankful for that. :)

true, the trail is a great place to have thanksgiving, if you're in the right place w/ the right people, everything is magic!!:sun

mweinstone
10-26-2006, 08:41
good morning minnisota. hope you see alot of cool trail today. hope your in a good place. be cool dude. were all routin for ya. see ya soon. give my best to the wife and kids.im nuts of course. and insain. and a criminal speller wanted in five states for abusive spelling and for making up crap.ill go shovel toxic mold now and shut up. eat your mush and mush slave! the trail owns and operats you now.

neo
10-26-2006, 09:17
By the way, he's gonna make it. :sun

i secound that,lets just all cheer him on the the finish line:cool: neo

Dances with Mice
10-26-2006, 13:20
While there's a break in the action on The Thread we should use our time to solve important world problems.

And of course you know what I'm referring to. That's right - on the Whiteblaze homepage (home of The Thread) there is a 'Welcome Back' box that displays the last time you visited W-B. Below that are two buttons very close to each other. One is labeled "New Posts" and the other "Log Out". A klutz, whose mouse pointer is faster than his brain, could easily accidentally select the wrong choice. The wrong choice in this case being "Log Out".

And if you do accidentally select Log Out, another message box appears on your screen that informs you that all your cookies have been cleared.

I'm sure this has happened to everyone. And when it does, don't you also have the irresistable urge to yell "Not yet they haven't!" then jump up and eat all the cookies in your house before someone clears them? I know I do.

How can we solve this terrible problem? First we need to publicize our plight, and I think the best way to do that would be to have Madonna adopt White-Blaze.

mweinstone
10-26-2006, 13:24
im only going to say this once. minnisota smith is a thruhiking god. now back to work slaves.

Gray Blazer
10-26-2006, 14:11
I've got a chance to spend the entire week of Thanksgiving on the summit of Mt. Washington but I'm trying to get the dates changed slightly so I don't miss the huge family gathering. How does the old song go: "There's no place like home for the holidays."
I think it goes.."There's no plate like chrome for the hollandaise"

Thor
10-26-2006, 14:28
How can we solve this terrible problem?

Clearly the solution requires you to simply purchase more cookies than you can possibly eat without dying, and never let this supply dwindle. This way, it is impossible for you to clear your cookies.

saimyoji
10-26-2006, 17:56
Clearly the solution requires you to simply purchase more cookies than you can possibly eat without dying, and never let this supply dwindle. This way, it is impossible for you to clear your cookies.

If the thread continues in this manner, I'm certain to toss my cookies before too long. :eek:

mweinstone
10-26-2006, 18:15
im so sick with envy for people like ms who has a hike going. and the goat who has one comming.im giving out drool for halloween.

mweinstone
10-26-2006, 18:28
the size and smell of the pork chops i have in the oven, insult ms, and all who hunger in old socks. so i wont mention it again save to say the stuffing has rasins and apples and there from whole foods. shhhhhhhhhh.......

Lone Wolf
10-26-2006, 18:31
im so sick with envy for people like ms who has a hike going. and the goat who has one comming.im giving out drool for halloween.

I'm sure he envies us who are warm and pecking away on keyboards. He's just covering miles now. quantity not quality.

Blissful
10-26-2006, 19:39
true, the trail is a great place to have thanksgiving, if you're in the right place w/ the right people, everything is magic!!:sun

This is my first post on this infamous thread. :) I feel honored.

We plan on doing exactly that to finish a section from the James River to Tye River in VA - doing it during Thanksgiving week. Never done anything like that on a holiday. Can't wait!

We will be bringing smoked turkey with us. And of course, instant mashed potatoes and dried cranraisins. Wish I could pack a pumpkin pie.

Panzer1
10-26-2006, 19:42
the size and smell of the pork chops i have in the oven, insult ms, and all who hunger in old socks. so i wont mention it again save to say the stuffing has rasins and apples and there from whole foods. shhhhhhhhhh.......

Why are you cooking in the oven? You won't have a oven out on the trail will you. You should cook everything on your alcohol stove like a real thru hiker would...

Panzer

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 06:58
get up! i want every swinging pack on line now. move! move! move! worked with so much mold yesterday nose hurts. will have to charge for that. in a world where both of my workplaces are totaly under grade, this molds for real. yo ms, mold and work vs wet cold trail? trail wins in landslide election. i will now sear an onion in cast iron and splay eggs over that with cheese and bagle and rice milk. i will add a 3rd egg in honor of minnisota smith. this egg will be called shorty in honor of the short distance we have to go. we being the thread and ms. were all one now. kinda like doc bronners . all one trail faith god come with macs an cheese 1000 ways to cook a soc. elija taught hillel jesus the way of the foot powdered walker. rinse with crannberrys and refreash with one part doc bronners and one part sardine oil for hiker trash bath. all one thread faith god cheese and bagle with jesus pepperonie.sweet jesus mold workers knew secret of soap and god.

MOWGLI
10-27-2006, 07:02
sweet jesus mold workers knew secret of soap and god.
Hallelujah!

Lone Wolf
10-27-2006, 07:08
praise jesus the wino

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 07:09
tonight im going to email abc news and ask if they want to do a story about ms's finnish and how it relates to the struggles in life and about where the AT is now and the state of mundane things like a long hike as it contrasts in a world on the brink. im serious.if theres a way i can get credit for causeing a news artical about the trail and ms,...i would welcome the chance. so an email tonight and well see what the network thinks of our thread! it will make a wonderful and poinient human intrest blurb at the close of the sunday eve news. this is my hope for what im gonna call an art project. im going to even right what i think the script should be and draw the pictures i think need to be shown. ms's hike is a very inspiring thing in these troubled times.

StarLyte
10-27-2006, 07:57
tonight im going to email abc news and ask if they want to do a story about ms's finnish and how it relates to the struggles in life and about where the AT is now and the state of mundane things like a long hike as it contrasts in a world on the brink. im serious.if theres a way i can get credit for causeing a news artical about the trail and ms,...i would welcome the chance. so an email tonight and well see what the network thinks of our thread! it will make a wonderful and poinient human intrest blurb at the close of the sunday eve news. this is my hope for what im gonna call an art project. im going to even right what i think the script should be and draw the pictures i think need to be shown. ms's hike is a very inspiring thing in these troubled times.

ACTUALLY Matthewski - I think your life is much more interesting. I wouldn't email ABC, I'd phone them and tell them about yourself and this thread.

That's NOTHING.....wait until the media gets ahold of Sgt. Rock starting his thru hike........the masses.......the coverage.......the THREAD.

O M G .

Dances with Mice
10-27-2006, 08:26
sweet jesus mold workers knew secret of soap and god.So you're the one that writes the Bronner labels! It all makes (a little more) sense now...

Continuous absolutes teach since 800 BC how to unite all mankind free by full-truth, hard work, God’s Law, Eternally One! All-One! Modern English by soapmaker Bronner! 2nd: It is an absolute full-truth that every body in God’s tremendous universe must eat or there is no body! Example: To shine on, eat must even the sun, attracting, exploding on its surface, every second, 4000,000 metric tons meteorio matter! Exceptions eternally? Absolute none! To shine on, eat must even the sun! *ALL-ONE!*

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 08:42
mice, thats why your the kingpin! yo, dances, did you know that for 7.50$ they mail you a ledgeble size poster of the lable?! hang it in front of the crapper for those boring bathroom moments.its like 30 x22.

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 08:44
knowing that ms exists and that the lable exist sum up who i am. no further comment.

the goat
10-27-2006, 09:00

but you're hiking next year too, right matt?

STEVEM
10-27-2006, 09:04
DWM, Hopefully I won't get jumped for going off topic here, but being new here, I'm curious. Whats the deal with your name? I have visions of the "Nutcracker Ballet".

Skidsteer
10-27-2006, 09:11
DWM, Hopefully I won't get jumped for going off topic here, but being new here, I'm curious. Whats the deal with your name? I have visions of the "Nutcracker Ballet".

Yeah there's zero tolerance for off-topic posts on The Thread.

:rolleyes: :D

Dances with Mice
10-27-2006, 09:14
DWM, Hopefully I won't get jumped for going off topic here, but being new here, I'm curious. Whats the deal with your name? I have visions of the "Nutcracker Ballet".There was a movie some years ago with a similar name. During the time that movie was in theaters, a shelter guest temporarily vacated his sleeping bag which was then, evidently, claimed by a shelter resident. When the guest returned and discovered the resident, the resulting actions invited some comparisons to the movie.

Skidsteer
10-27-2006, 09:16
And I thought it was an old family name.

max patch
10-27-2006, 09:39
DWM, Hopefully I won't get jumped for going off topic here, but being new here, I'm curious.

This thread going off topic? Steve you unintentionally wrote one of the funniest posts on this thread!

Jan LiteShoe
10-27-2006, 13:52
Oh, I suspect one might find SteveM's tongue firmly lodged in his cheek.

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 16:25
no goat. im hikin if the irs lets me. they allready said i could pay a thousand a month but if i sign that aggreement it will add that much more to my hike.and its all still well within the limits of possibilitys its just shakey whearas yours and ms's are bedrock.i hope the world ends so we can all go hiking for real. and so jesus will come.could minnisota smith be a woman?

small amount of nonsence added to ensure product stability. thread should be refrigerated after opening.prossesed in a factory that contains nuts.may contain peices of wisdom.delibratly concentrating and inhaleing thread is a violation of federal law and a serious health risk.must be 18 or older. minnesota residents add 5% tax.

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 17:41
minnisota smith how dare you run off in a huff. i know there are some mean folks here but the rest of us love you and need you to come back. and id like to suggest we talk about cold weather tips. my tip is to keep clean. being grungy and cold is worse than grungy and hot. also mind your sweets. you need to eat white sugar like youve never dared before. and carry margerine or butter or oil. you need this too.put some in coco at bedtime to burn the night chills away.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:12
I hiked from Hanover with full pack to Gifford State Park as of day before yesterday. A trail angel gave me a ride to the hostel in Rutland. I day-slacked 15 miles yesterday NOBO over Mt. Killington (with snow up to 2" deep for over half the day). Today I slacked SOBO another 11.6, with Rutland as my base. Plans Too Much is the trail angel who is inexpensively picking me up @ 0630 the last 2 mornings.

Well, today I was at Hwy. 140, several miles from Wallingford, VT, just after Bear Mtn, I think, trying to hitch a ride back to Rutland. The woman of a couple that I befriended 'way back @ Carver Gap (just N. of Roan Mtn.) saw me and pulled over. They had offered a place for me to stay for some days whenever I got up to their neck of the woods, which is Middletown Springs, VT, fairly near the NY state line. So, I've just showered, my stuff is in the wash, I had a shot glass of Chambord (1st time of the latter for me during my whole hike thus far -- ahhhh...), and a huge dinner is in busy preparation in the kitchen. Life is not bad at all. (Yes, I'm hiking again tomorrow, despite the weather forecast.)

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:15
I don't think minnesota exactly has a huge family gathering to home to just yet..I don't think he's found a wife yet...:eek:

I'm not looking to find one on the Trail. That comes after, back in the World where all the situational clues and my social tools are available to me.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:19
I'm not certain, but I don't think he is close to that by a longshot. Additionally, thru-hikers have prolonged their hikes on purpose. I seriously doubt MS wants his hike to last any more than he is physically capable of.

On-target exactly.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:22
ms dosnt do drugs of any kind. you heard wrong. get down and gimmi fifty.

I'm not a user of recreational chemicals, with only the very infrequent use of alcohol in moderation as an exception.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:25

Easter, Independence Day, my birthday, etc. I had the latter in a shelter. Everyone else cleared out at dawn. I ate a tiny fig cake I had saved for the occasion after singing "Happy Birthday" to myself.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:27
old phart is particularly adept at figuring out mileages and approx. finish time..paging fharty...

Is Baltimore Jack. He forecast my Katahdin summit date within 3 days when I was in Hanover the first time.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:30
Yeah but he doesn't have as much fat to keep him warm! :D

I almost froze for a while (until I put on more clothes, like ALL of those I was carrying on that day slack) crossing Mt. Killington yesterday with rather more clothing on than I had in similiar conditions in the Smokies. I was briefly puzzled, until I remembered the weight loss insulation change.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:34
He could always wrap himself up in Toilet Paper for extra insulation! ;)

He carrys enough for an extra 15 degrees, easy. Pure genius on his part! :D

Is a full-length zero degree synthetic. It's not much fun to fit in my pack (or carry), but, sleeping? Mmmm...

I also carry a Puffball jacket, 2 thin Patagonia thermal tops, 2 bottoms same type, 2 knit caps, a large fleece balaclava, and lightweight fleece gloves, FWIW. There have been nights that all of them were on in the shelter, too.

fiddlehead
10-27-2006, 18:37
Why all the jumpin around? Wouldn't it be less complicated to just hike?
Sorry, if i haven't been following your hike and don't understand the hitchiking back and forth all over.
But it seems to me like you are really complicating this thing.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:37

I am getting along pretty well with the Tribes people. One of them hinted at my joining them, as a matter of fact.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

They'd have to shave, allow red meat and seafood, among other things, first.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:38
Why all the jumpin around? Wouldn't it be less complicated to just hike?
Sorry, if i haven't been following your hike and don't understand the hitchiking back and forth all over.
But it seems to me like you are really complicating this thing.

Except for some days when I go NOBO BC the end spot is easier to hitch from, I am in fact doing a straight SOBO to Kent to finish up my thruhike.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:48
Own it, know it, love it.
In 79 and onward, having that board copy must have been pretty sweet.

peace
mf

I have been to very, very few music concerts (other than a few classical ones over a dozen years ago) during my life. Like spectator sports events and TV, it is a type of experience I intentionally severely limited in my life in order to clear a large amount of time for other endeavors (primarily reading).

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 18:50

peace
mf

Enya - Only If Lyrics

When there's a shadow you reach for the sun
when thereis love then you look for the one
and for the promisesthere is the sky
and for the heavens are those who canfly

chorus
if you really want to, you can hearme say
only if you want to, will you find a way
if youreally want to, you can seize the day
only if you want to,will you fly away

when there's a journey, youfollow a star
when there's an ocean you sail from afar
and for the broken heart there is the sky
and fortomorrow are those who can fly

repeat chorus twice

Ah! Je voudrais voler comme un oiseau d'aile
Ah! Je voudrais voler comme un oiseau d'aile
d'aile

repeat chorus

if you reallywant to, you can seize the day
only if you want to, willyou fly away

Dances with Mice
10-27-2006, 18:58
One of my Rules of Life is to see the Circus whenever it's in town.

Besides, I already know many of the performers

But for the price I paid for seats at the next Cirque du Soleil show in Atlanta, I should be sitting right on the damn trapeze. And I should even be able to take a contortionist home, or a couple of acrobats or jugglers.

Or at least a dozen mimes.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 19:00

I believe that the AT is overall well underway with returning to nature. It was never really finished, and trail maintenance is IMNSHO under 1/5th of requirements merely to not lose ground to erosion, rot, and entropy. That is, the Trail is becoming less and less hikeable as time goes on, and eventually noone will hike the whole thing any more IMO.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 19:03
[quote=The Old Fhart;258835]Hey, you could have had a forth with you if you were just there with MS! Of course you'd still have to split it 3 ways and listen to MS regale you with Robert Service poetry all night.

It takes approximately 6.5 minutes for me to read "The Law of the Yukon" aloud (I've timed it), and I only read it to people who are agreeable to it in advance.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 19:05
[quote=Sly;258789]Allowing hikers to stay more than one night in a free hostel can become problematic. What about other hikers coming from behind, do you just say "sorry, no vacancy" while others are resting comfortably?

The hostel was under 25% capacity at peak when I was there, FYI.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 19:05
[quote=Sly;258789]Allowing hikers to stay more than one night in a free hostel can become problematic. What about other hikers coming from behind, do you just say "sorry, no vacancy" while others are resting comfortably?

The hostel was under 25% capacity at peak when I was there, FYI.

minnesotasmith
10-27-2006, 19:06
Minnesota Smith -

Email me at your convenience so we can discuss it. Not now - after your hike or whenever.

Any other thru hikers interested in participating at the PA Ruck thru-hiker bull session please email me as well (for Southern Ruck interests, please contact Sly). Also, if you are a potential/planned thru-hiker, you'll want to sit in on this event. It's quite an interesting forum.

Jack this means YOU :D

[email protected]

----back to the thread----

That's a promise.

ed bell
10-27-2006, 19:07
I believe that the AT is overall well underway with returning to nature. It was never really finished, and trail maintenance is IMNSHO under 1/5th of requirements merely to not lose ground to erosion, rot, and entropy. That is, the Trail is becoming less and less hikeable as time goes on, and eventually noone will hike the whole thing any more IMO.I'm curious. Have you been spending time on the AT over enough years to back your claim? I've been a backpacker for 25 years. The AT is an interstate compared to many trails I've hiked on. I think your expectations are way too high.

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 19:17
noodlely doodldly to ya ms. your superceeding the simpsons in my little world. im glad your so close to done. are you sayin your commin to the pa ruck?

Dances with Mice
10-27-2006, 19:20
I believe that the AT is overall well underway with returning to nature. It was never really finished, and trail maintenance is IMNSHO under 1/5th of requirements merely to not lose ground to erosion, rot, and entropy. That is, the Trail is becoming less and less hikeable as time goes on, and eventually noone will hike the whole thing any more IMO.Ah, you've missed the point. The beauty of the AT is that it has never been and never will be 'finished'. It's a wilderness trail that changes each year. Right now it's a different trail than when you started.

general
10-27-2006, 19:21
I'm not looking to find one on the Trail. That comes after, back in the World where all the situational clues and my social tools are available to me.

yeah, social tools. is your personality contained it that there tool box?

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 19:27
minnisota smith live! my favorite show!by my estimates, he was just told dinner is ready. ah dinner.

Skidsteer
10-27-2006, 19:33

A dime for Twelve mimes
Trapeze artists fall too much
Double joints-priceless

Heater
10-27-2006, 20:11
One of my Rules of Life is to see the Circus whenever it's in town.

Besides, I already know many of the performers

But for the price I paid for seats at the next Cirque du Soleil show in Atlanta, I should be sitting right on the damn trapeze. And I should even be able to take a contortionist home, or a couple of acrobats or jugglers.

But, what about the midgets?
Why are the midgets always left out? :(

The Old Fhart
10-27-2006, 20:24
Minnesota Smith-"It takes approximately 6.5 minutes for me to read "The Law of the Yukon" aloud (I've timed it), and I only read it to people who are agreeable to it in advance."That's not the best Robert Service poem. In 1987 just before I left Hot Springs at the end of my first section hike I had a discussion with a fellow hiker about a poem I was leaving in the registers, "The Lone Trail", after he had just read it in the register. He was impressed and the next time I saw him was at Katahdin Stream Campground just before he summited. He opened his pack and showed me a small book of Robert Service poety he had sent to him and carried the rest of his hike.

The question I have is why only one poem? Why not carry the book with a selection of poems in place of one roll of TP? Actually you remind me of the main character in "The Ballad of Pious Pete". ;)

mweinstone
10-27-2006, 20:24
you will post everything that was at that table. i want to know how great it was and exactly how drunk you are you old koot.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2006, 21:41
you will post everything that was at that table. i want to know how great it was and exactly how drunk you are you old koot.

Old Fhart is hardly a drunken old koot. Back up little one.:)

Skidsteer
10-27-2006, 21:45
...So, I've just showered, my stuff is in the wash, I had a shot glass of Chambord (1st time of the latter for me during my whole hike thus far -- ahhhh...), and a huge dinner is in busy preparation in the kitchen. Life is not bad at all. (Yes, I'm hiking again tomorrow, despite the weather forecast.)

It's risky business reading Doc Bronner's mind but he may have been referring to MS hisself. :-?

The Old Fhart
10-27-2006, 21:46
Lone Wolf-"Old Fhart is hardly a drunken old koot. Back up little one.:) "I believe mweinstone was talking to Minnesota Smith about the meal and the wine he had in Vermont. Either that or he was trying to flatter me.;)

Heater
10-27-2006, 21:47

'cept I think he was talkin' to MS... you drunkin ol coot. I am uh drunken ol coot two. drunken ol coots younight.

Skidsteer
10-27-2006, 21:48
'cept I think he was talkin' to MS... you drunkin ol coot. I am uh drunken ol coot two. drunken ol coots younight.

Count me in. Younight twonight!

Lone Wolf
10-27-2006, 21:58
I believe mweinstone was talking to Minnesota Smith about the meal and the wine he had in Vermont. Either that or he was trying to flatter me.;)

*** do I know. Just back from Dot's, now suckin on Merlot. A wine.

Heater
10-27-2006, 22:03
*** do I know. Just back from Dot's, now suckin on Merlot. A wine.

You just got back from dot's and now drinking merlot... What's to wine about?!! :confused:

Beeeelch.... Blaaaaaaaaat...

Dances with Mice
10-27-2006, 22:56
But, what about the midgets?
Why are the midgets always left out? They were overlooked.

Do you know the difference between a mime and a trampoline?

Heater
10-28-2006, 00:09
They were overlooked.

Do you know the difference between a mime and a trampoline?

You take off your hiking boots to jump on a trampoline. :D

mweinstone
10-28-2006, 00:11
obviously he drank more and crashed. thruhikers cant drink while thruhiking. i still wanna know what they fed him. he said they were making a big meal. food and me go way back.

Heater
10-28-2006, 00:13
obviously he drank more and crashed. thruhikers cant drink while thruhiking. i still wanna know what they fed him. he said they were making a big meal. food and me go way back.

Sitting on the edge of your sea... ladder, are ya? :D

SGT Rock
10-28-2006, 01:10
I'm curious. Have you been spending time on the AT over enough years to back your claim? I've been a backpacker for 25 years. The AT is an interstate compared to many trails I've hiked on. I think your expectations are way too high.

That was the same thing I was thinking when I read that post.

mweinstone
10-28-2006, 07:41
goodmorning sir!

Topcat
10-28-2006, 08:34
That was the same thing I was thinking when I read that post.
My first backpacking trip on the AT was October of 2002 with a way too heavy canvas boyscout backpack, canvas tent, pots and food. I weighed around 100 lbs (i was a fat little kid) and my pack was around 40lbs for a weekend. I remember much road walking, washouts, blow downs and other obstructions on that hike. As the years have gone past, it seems to me that the trail has become better, both in maintenence and the movements off the roads. The shelters are more numerous and nicer (not that i stay in them often) There are more services along the trail and at trail heads and equipment is better and lighter. I would say that the steady improvements in these areas would indicate that the trail will go on and on, and there will be thru hikers while it exists. My guess is that if anything occurs, it will become too tame and civilized....;)

Topcat
10-28-2006, 08:35
whoops, october of 1973....i need coffee in the morning..lol

Topcat
10-28-2006, 08:35
and i guess i need to pay so i can edit my posts..lol

Sly
10-28-2006, 09:21
How's the slacker doing today? For when MS gets off the trail, does anyone know of a subservient woman that cooks red eat and fish? :p

STEVEM
10-28-2006, 10:43
How's the slacker doing today? For when MS gets off the trail, does anyone know of a subservient woman that cooks red eat and fish? :p

How about Pokey2006? I'd bet she could boil up a mean pot of liver 'n squid. I'll go hide now.

Lone Wolf
10-28-2006, 10:44
where's dino to do a photo thingy of the two?:)

Topcat
10-28-2006, 11:37
Pokey may hike a little fast for MS for them to be a compatable couple....;)

Dances with Mice
10-28-2006, 12:01
It's good to hear that MS is making progress and has an end date objective. Are there any other southbounders in the area?

Lone Wolf
10-28-2006, 12:07

He's had it quite easy on this hike. Lotsa days off, low mile days, slackpacking, hiker feeds, folks taking him in, etc., etc. Gotta love a 9 month thru-hike.

mdionne
10-28-2006, 12:17
I believe that the AT is overall well underway with returning to nature. It was never really finished, and trail maintenance is IMNSHO under 1/5th of requirements merely to not lose ground to erosion, rot, and entropy. That is, the Trail is becoming less and less hikeable as time goes on, and eventually noone will hike the whole thing any more IMO.

Are you smoking crack???

Lone Wolf
10-28-2006, 12:27
It's just his IMSHO.:D What's that mean? In my stupid humble opinion?

Roland
10-28-2006, 12:29
It's just his IMSHO.:D What's that mean? In my stupid humble opinion?

I read it as "skewed", but you might be right.

weary
10-28-2006, 12:41
He's had it quite easy on this hike. Lotsa days off, low mile days, slackpacking, hiker feeds, folks taking him in, etc., etc. Gotta love a 9 month thru-hike.
Aside from pack weight MS may have had the easiest thru hike since the last time Grandma Gates bummed her way north.

Sly
10-28-2006, 12:57
It's just his IMNSHO.:D What's that mean? In my stupid humble opinion?

"In my not so humble opinion" also known as inflated thru-hiker head. A common occurance with 1st timers who didn't seriously grasp what it was all about. :rolleyes:

emerald
10-28-2006, 13:32
So long as new maintainers are constantly being added to the volunteer workforce, there will be an A.T until the day the Appalachains are reduced to sea level.

The way I see it, there will be more and better rocks to rework into new steps and waterbars as time wears on! Certain portions are nearly maintenance-free at present and aren't going anywhere anytime soon.:-? ;) :)

mweinstone
10-28-2006, 14:09
the trailheads are better. the trail work has fallen off. less people do trail work nowadays.more folks get lost creating lost trails. more people use a smaller area so the flora and fauna grow back slower and dieback occers. the atmosphere is dirtyer and less oxegenated and so the lushness is far less luss. respect for the rules of leave no trace is at an all time low.blazing is still not universaly executed. sociatys ills have somewhat spilled over onto the trail.the trail is a city. yes its better than ever and growing. but the general state of affairs concerning that increced grandure are out of order. ms speaks the truth. a threat exists larger than ever. and a solution seems far off. but as in all positive human endevors, the trail will triumph at times and wain at others. i love the appalachian trail. god bless minnesota smith