PDA

View Full Version : MinnesotaSmith Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24

Lone Wolf
11-21-2006, 13:17
Play time is over. Go get a job like a responsible adult.

Lacbe
11-21-2006, 13:50
Deal with it, life goes on. May those who follow, have the fortitude, too find that what, is the meaning of life. The Heart still remains, or what you see is important. Just remmeber, we all have something in comming, and that, we love the trail. Peace to all, now close the thread we are done.

Sly
11-21-2006, 14:18
Close the tread? I'd like to hear more rants and raves. Minnismith Update could conceivably last into his trans Alaskan attempt!

Sly
11-21-2006, 14:20

LOL... maybe he has Exxon/Mobile stock to fall back on? :D

Alligator
11-21-2006, 14:25
Congratulations MS.

Take it easy is on the holiday treats, you're not thruhiking anymore:) .

minnesotasmith
11-21-2006, 14:32
Congratulations MS.

Take it is on the holiday treats, you're not thruhiking anymore:) .

Got to go back now on a peacetime footing, calorie-wise. Sigh.

Darwin again
11-21-2006, 14:59
Congratulations Minnesota Smith!
You certainly took your time...:D

Now get yourself some FOOD!

All the best from us here,
Darwin.

Dances with Mice
11-21-2006, 15:25
I'm scaried and can't sleep, what will become of our world since Ms has done the thru?

Many people will now be dealing with post-MS hike depression. Even more will be in denial that they are suffering.

There is help available on The Thread. If you'll share with us your thoughts and feelings, we can help you through the withdrawal symptoms.

If you'll just let your guards down we can help you refind your center. In fact it will be a lot easier since the center's usually shorter than the guards and lines up between them.

The Thread support group is here. How can we help you?

mweinstone
11-21-2006, 17:13
and id like to thank my ..........(tears)..................is asscorted offstage unable to speak.

mweinstone
11-21-2006, 17:16
hey ms?........oh yeah, forgot your sitting next to me. sorry. ill speak to you with my voice directly. (matthewski turnes to ms to ask if he wants another steak dinner like i do)( waiting for answer) answer inaudible to thread audience.

minnesotasmith
11-21-2006, 17:18
Now, I get to respond to all the posts people made I didn't have a chance to post about BC I was out hiking. :D (Loud sound of rhetorical muscles cracking...)

Thanks for the congrats, Darwin. Your help (on multiple levels) was part of why I made it.

So, no one has any opinions about my selections of the north side of Bear Mtn. and of the hill south of the south end of River Rd. as fair tests re whether or not a hiker would enjoy the rocky parts of NH and ME?

STEVEM
11-21-2006, 17:18
and id like to thank my ..........(tears)..................is asscorted offstage unable to speak.

Matthew, Asscorted?????? I'm afraid to Google that one.

minnesotasmith
11-21-2006, 17:20
hey ms?........oh yeah, forgot your sitting next to me. sorry. ill speak to you with my voice directly. (matthewski turnes to ms to ask if he wants another steak dinner like i do)( waiting for answer) answer inaudible to thread audience.

(MS points to his open mouth and lets out several loud "OOK! OOK!"s.)

Lone Wolf
11-21-2006, 17:20
Now, I get to respond to all the posts people made I didn't have a chance to post about BC I was out hiking. :D (Loud sound of rhetorical muscles cracking...)

Thanks for the congrats, Darwin. Your help (on multiple levels) was part of why I made it.

So, no one has any opinions about my selections of the north side of Bear Mtn. and of the hill south of the south end of River Rd. as fair tests re whether or not a hiker would enjoy the rocky parts of NH and ME?

Somewhat easy sections, somewhat rocky. So?

Lone Wolf
11-21-2006, 17:21
Matthew, Asscorted?????? I'm afraid to Google that one.

The "Coming Out" thread is next.

MOWGLI
11-21-2006, 17:33

There are rocks in NH & ME???? :confused: :-?

briarpatch
11-21-2006, 19:33
I think we should encourage MS and Matthewski to try to compete as a team the next "The Amazing Race". The application can be found here: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race_application/

Dances with Mice
11-21-2006, 20:04
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13925

Photo by SteveM.

MW, MS, and The Stick.

STEVEM
11-21-2006, 20:58
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13925

Photo by SteveM.

MW, MS, and The Stick.

Just one correction, summit photo was taken by Dave who is the owner of BackCountry Outfitters.
Thank You, Dave.

Panzer1
11-21-2006, 21:36
Is this going to be the latest fad? To "summit" at the Backcountry Outfitters..

Panzer

FatMan
11-21-2006, 21:45
Congrats MS on your finish:sun. You hiked your own hike and you proved a lot of people wrong around here. I wish you the best in your transition back to the real world.

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2006, 22:03
The "real world", FatMan, is the one that Smith just left.

Everything else is just town.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2006, 22:16
The "real world", FatMan, is the one that Smith just left.

Everything else is just town.

99.9% of the worlds population spend time in "just town". minnesota is going back to the "real world".

VermontGunner
11-21-2006, 23:11
Congratulations MS! Glad to hear you completed it!:cool:

Lugnut
11-21-2006, 23:29
I think we should encourage MS and Matthewski to try to compete as a team the next "The Amazing Race". The application can be found here: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race_application/

I'd watch that! :banana

Nightwalker
11-22-2006, 15:30
Has anyone else noticed the resemblance between the long lost Steve Hiker and Matthewski? :eek:

Steve appears to have had his nose broken a few times. Probably for good reason.

Nightwalker
11-22-2006, 15:38

You first. :D

emerald
11-22-2006, 17:36
You in Tennessee?

Lugnut
11-22-2006, 18:57
Steve appears to have had his nose broken a few times. Probably for good reason.

I'll buy that! :D

Mother's Finest
11-22-2006, 19:21
nightwalker,

why would you say "probably for good reason" with regards to Steve M?

just curious.

peace
mf

ed bell
11-22-2006, 19:34
nightwalker,

just curious.

peace
mfI can answer for him (not putting words in nightwalkers mouth). I believe he was refering to Steve Hiker, not stevem. Search his post history if you dare.:eek:

MOWGLI
11-22-2006, 19:37
nightwalker,

just curious.

peace
mf

Like Ed said. Nightwalker is talking about the knuckledragger named Steve Hiker - who is a racist jerk.

ed bell
11-22-2006, 19:50
MS's opinions of beards? I gotta hear this!Sly, I meant to search this out the other day, but if you really want to know here is just one of several posts (caution: coarse imagery)-http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=67697&postcount=23

Footslogger
11-22-2006, 19:54
Sly, I meant to search this out the other day, but if you really want to know here is just one of several posts (caution: coarse imagery)-http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=67697&postcount=23

====================================

I think he could have been more direct and told us what he REALLY thinks !!

'Slogger

The Old Fhart
11-22-2006, 20:15
Sly-"MS's opinions of beards? I gotta hear this!"After reading Minnesota Smith's so-called opinion I'd say most of his problem is that he seems to be confused as to which is which.:eek:

Trillium
11-22-2006, 21:14
Sly, I meant to search this out the other day, but if you really want to know here is just one of several posts (caution: coarse imagery)-http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=67697&postcount=23
oh my goodness :eek:

and with an opinion like that, he thinks he's going to find someone biologically significant who would want to mate w/ him. sheesh.

Topcat
11-22-2006, 22:08
oh my goodness :eek:

and with an opinion like that, he thinks he's going to find someone biologically significant who would want to mate w/ him. sheesh.

There is someone for everyone....but can you imagine, how could she wear a swimsuit with anythign resembling Lone Wolf's beard...down there????:D yikes.

minnesotasmith
11-22-2006, 22:44
It is a great place for a hiker to be, as ever. I'm glad to be here. I definitely feel I have more in common with other Trail people than I do with the general population as a whole. I still am coming to grips with not having to hike tomorrow and the like. Still, there are compensations, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, getting to read again, and PEOPLE... I was pretty alone the last 281 miles, so that part is nice. (I'm not much on heavy traffic yet, to be sure.)

Panzer1
11-22-2006, 23:01
What are you guys planning to do down there at Miss Janets??

Panzer

The Old Fhart
11-22-2006, 23:16
MS byline-"[The AT] will not be won by weaklings, with stubble, shaved and mild, But by men with the beards of Vikings, and not the simple logic of a child."

--From "Law of the Yukon" by Robert Service

Blissful
11-22-2006, 23:36
Many, many congrats on finishing!!!

Now time for a book....
with excerpts from this infamously long thread.

neo
11-22-2006, 23:55
:) :) :) congrats minnasotasmith,awesomr,i hope to meet you again someday:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13041&catid=member&imageuser=3462

Panzer1
11-22-2006, 23:55
OK, all you guys who bet against MS have to pay up now...
I feel sorry for those who offered 25-1 odds.

Panzer

ed bell
11-23-2006, 00:24
i heard he is carrying 6 liters of water an was arguing with other hikers when they told him hed did not need 6 liters of water at a time.the guy is going to hurt himself,i calculated the odds 500 to 1,he will not make it:cool: neo

You guys keep talking smack about the guy. DWM isn't in this morning, I'll take those odds Neo. Same deal. Put up some money. 10 cents to ten dollars.

PanzerI hope neo didn't take any bets.:cool:

ed bell
11-23-2006, 03:30
Odds really have nothing to do with all of the positive posts that were offered to MS. Once again, congratulations.

Dances with Mice
11-23-2006, 09:31

PanzerNobody accepted 25-1. I offered $10 per wager. I believe, but haven't checked, that all those who accepted only pledged to match except one guy who could only scrape up $5. So the official W-B line may have given MS better than even odds of finishing. Funny how when money has to meet mouth, mouths get smaller. That, of course, was the point of the exercise: talk is cheap.

MS ruined my rep here, though. Every time I've offered bets on anything else it's been a thread-killer.

All payments go to W-B, btw. Those with an ounce of personal integrity will report their payments here.

Two Speed
11-23-2006, 11:08
MS ruined my rep here, though. Every time I've offered bets on anything else it's been a thread-killer. Jugglers have a reputation?
All payments go to W-B, btw. Those with an ounce of personal integrity will report their payments here.For those of without a shred of personal integrity or a PayPal account, like me, you can send a check to:

WhiteBlaze
P.O. Box 482
Litchfield, Me. 04350

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dances with Mice
11-23-2006, 12:19
Jugglers have a reputation?!Yeah. It's why mothers always hide their daughters when we're around.

mweinstone
11-23-2006, 13:55
janet,starlyte,restless,malla,matthewski,minnesota smith,that guy,and alot of extraordinary folk at ms j's fryed turkeyfest wish all at the blaze happy thanksgiving. ms just saw your post panzer. and wyoming never looked so happy.found your mini little cut out head on the new hiker mural/calage wall panzer. you havent aged.

Panzer1
11-23-2006, 14:35
Wishing everyone on "the Thread" a happy Thanksgiving.

Panzer & Mrs. Panzer

minnesotasmith
11-23-2006, 18:26
Kept it to 2 plates, given that I'm not thruing now. When she said that those who are currently hiking should go to the front of the line, it was an adjustment to accept that I was no longer one of them.:-?:o

=================================================

It looks like I'll be @ Dot's in Damascus (just for the evening) tomorrow as planned. Logistics after that are still up in the air. If I can find a ride towards Atlanta (where my sister lives), that'd be ideal. My parents may go up there to see her, and can pick me up while there. Otherwise, it's the Greyhound from Johnson City day after tomorrow. Anyone know of someone headed towards Atlanta/NW FL in the next several days, please let me know.

Dances with Mice
11-23-2006, 18:30
MS - If you're going to be around Georgia Dec 8 - 10, a Dutch Oven campout will be going on at Vogel St Pk, right next to Neels Gap.

One of my hiking buddies (remember Jeff?) is going under the knife to repair his shoulder the next week. He can't carry a pack now and won't be allowed to for awhile, so it's a car camp / dayhike / better than normal camping / food sort of trip.

Jack Tarlin
11-23-2006, 18:31
Geez.....were you EVER one of them?? :-?

That was a joke, Smitty. Hope you and everyone else in Erwin had a great holiday!!

mweinstone
11-23-2006, 20:21
matthewski needs a ride north from miss janets to philly

Jack Tarlin
11-23-2006, 20:23
Geez, didn't you only just get there??

mweinstone
11-23-2006, 20:28
i diddnt mean right now. silly rabbit. i just had butterscotch supreem janet made. its from her childhood.

Jack Tarlin
11-23-2006, 20:41
Butterscotch supreme from her childhood?

You'd think she'd have whipped you guys up a fresh batch.

Sure hope it was still safe to eat.

Have a great visit.

mweinstone
11-23-2006, 20:52
now, back to what we ate. all hikers here are south bound.sight and nemo. they are great. and extra cool. we ate fride turkey that mala made out back. it was 55 and sunny. we ate in the church. smoked turkeys too. all manner of pie. pecan, two kinds of pumpkin. cobbler and two kinds of apple thingys. green rings of jello and mashed potatoes that panzer should have made. ham from two sauce choices. pinnapple and cherries. apple hot cider. all manner of un identifiable family recipies .sweet potatoes with marshmallows. green beens.dips, spreads, stuff.ms made the best lemmonaid i ever had. it took him 2 hours to wash , sterilize and sperate and sweeten and liquify this brew. chocolare straws and pretzles. pees and suckotash. about 4 different salads.sobo laces and pi are also here. corn. chicken caserol.two kinds of cheesecake.bannana puddindg and hawian pie. tofurky.hash brown pie thing. stuffing from the four corners of the trail.crabber pie, carmel pie. kinnickinnick brought bean and cream spinach dip and chips.sweet tea un sweet tea, milk.potatoe salad. deviled eggs. cookies.cheese and crackers. crosonts muffins wheat rolls .pasta salad with red stuff. seven layer salad

SawnieRobertson
11-23-2006, 20:57
Matthewski created some wonderful sassafras tea this afternoon as we sat around the table in Ms Janet's back yard. Minnesota Smith seemed a pleasant enough fellow. I don't know what all the fuss was about, but I do know that the one bond that we all have (without rancor) was immensely present in all conversations, in the smiles, the stories--the AT experience.--Kinnickinic

Jack Tarlin
11-23-2006, 21:17
"Pees and suckotash?" :eek:

Geez, maybe it's good we couldn't make it.

And how Smitty prepares "sterilized" lemonade should make for an interesting story.

Anyway, thanx for the update!

emerald
11-23-2006, 21:39
Butterscotch supreme from her childhood?

You'd think she'd have whipped you guys up a fresh batch.

Sure hope it was still safe to eat.

I would have liked to say something similiar. That's what I get for not being tuned in to The Thread.

emerald
11-23-2006, 21:53
Did spittinpigeon make it to Miss Janet's? He posted some time ago from Harpers Ferry, I think, that he would try to attend. Does anyone know how his hike is going for him?

What about Medicine Man? You know, he's a tease. Said he was going to come up here and begin hiking the A.T. thru The Green Diamond, then cancels. He talks of heading much farther north and skipping The Green Diamond for now. It's the emeralds that run clear across The Green Diamond that will make him strong and prepare him for things farther north where the rocks reach clear to the sky!

Dances with Mice
11-24-2006, 01:06
I'm sure Minnesota is ready to get back to Georgia and relax. You won't believe how relaxed we are....

Say someone were to find a bomb on school property, for example. No sense in gettin' all excited and rushin' around just because of one little ol' bomb. We take our time and think about it some, 'determine the best course of action', as they say. First we'll go watch the football game on campus and sometime the next day, if we happen to think about it, we might even get around to calling the police. The police were probably busy with other stuff on Friday and Saturday's a good day for taking care of bomb removal chores, you know, the campus is usually pretty quiet then anyway. We're courteous like that.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=83462

I can't make this stuff up.

mweinstone
11-24-2006, 01:16
meds man is here. so are 8 thru hikers thru hiking! as we sit eating fiths sixths and twelfths, we fill to the brim and burst.janet ,marsha jj pi laces shelly donna all went dancing at sound.house dimming. turkomene taking over.will need ride north afer we drink lone wolf under the table at dots tommorow nite.my new name is dog poo aftershave cause im covered.site and nemo are now at 345 am hiker time even though , its 1212 am.im sleepin in the yard. ms in room with his crap all over the floor and in the way.nothing changes.

minnesotasmith
11-24-2006, 07:10
1) My gear is on the floor right next to my bed, thank you very much. Matthewski griped about it only BC he decided yesterday to (laudably) sweep and mop the floor in the large bunkroom while I was helping with Thanksgiving meal preparations in the kitchen. He didn't want to keep me from continuing that, so he felt he had to move my stuff to my bed so he could get to the floor underneath it. That's all there is to that. (He busted his hump doing thorough and unasked-for floor cleaning throughout the house here yesterday, BTW.)

2) Still no progress on getting a ride south from here after going to Dot's in Damascus to meet Lone Wolf and others. Miss Janet says to be optimistic.

3) One bit of adjustment to no longer being in the midst of a thruhike... Switching from nonthruhiking total calorie intake to the level I got to later on in my hike was gradual and natural, as I gained my trail legs during the course of my hike. Going back to an intake level appropriate to no longer hiking for hours and hours most days needs to be fairly immediate, OTOH, presuming (as I do) that I don't want to change my trail name before Trail Days next years to "Buddha". That meant that all the guilt over excessive eating would come right back as well, despite my svelter build now.

4) I was told by several people that my "hiker hobble" would be longterm, possibly even lifelong, whereas the psychological/emotional/life routine adjustment is normally more like a week for each month I was on the Trail. I can tell you that I have long slept better (like 3-5 hours longer, on average) while camped or sheltered on the Trail than I do in a hostel, even the ruder ones.

minnesotasmith
11-24-2006, 07:34
I was very happy with some of my gear, not so happy (albeit it did at least minimally do the job) with some other gear, and not content at all with other of my gear. The last category could be stuff that didn't work well, or that I just didn't need enough to haul it around.

Worked very well:

1) Full-length Thermarest. I bought a patch kit out of paranoia around Damascus, and have carried it ever since, but never had to use it once. Using a Tyvek groundcloth 99% of nights likely had something to do with its reliability, to be sure.

2) Bridgedale socks.

3) My gray nylon hat (used same one for entire hike).

4) My dogwood hiking staff. It lost over 3" worn off the bottom, and I had to redo the pad/strap about 3 times, but it did its job superbly. It reached support spots farther (often essentially farther, such as steepest downhills and log crossings over streams. There were times I avoided fords (that the Leki people did not) due solely to its length. Its mass enabled me to periodically effectively swing it like a baseball bat in defense against certain thorny brush encroaching onto the Trail (that the maintainers had somehow missed). That mass also gave me a swing option (as opposed to purely stabbing) when defending myself against loose dogs coming close enough to be threats, an event that arose over a dozen times during my hike.

Worked okay, but had significant issues:

1) Sealskin socks. They are a serious PITA to clean and dry due to their impermeability. This entails multiple turning inside/rightside out, additional washing/drying, etc. I found that I dreaded the post-section cleaning of my Sealskins so much that I would avoid using them if at all possible. Lightly coating my feet with petroleum jelly just before putting on my socks for the day's hike generally worked okay as an alternative for rainy days. I got to where only days I was doing extended hiking in slush I deemed worth using them.

2) My Dunham trailrunners. They were the size 4E I needed, and comfortable enough. However, the lowtops repeatedly had premature inner-heel liner blowout. This cost me time, money, and blisters (my first ones of my whole hike came just before Hot Springs, due solely to this). The hightops did not have this problem, albeit were more costly, heavier, and dried more slowly.

3) My Ursack (kevlar-like varmint-teeth-proof food bag). Worked overall, but didn't close fully at the top. It was also ultraviolet-sensitive (the only aspect to which it was not indestructible in normal use), so I had to use a succession of contractor bags (I strapped it to the bottom back of my pack) to keep the UV off it. Then, there's its weight, rather higher than a silnylon bag.

StarLyte
11-24-2006, 08:13
Did spittinpigeon make it to Miss Janet's? He posted some time ago from Harpers Ferry, I think, that he would try to attend. Does anyone know how his hike is going for him?

What about Medicine Man? You know, he's a tease. Said he was going to come up here and begin hiking the A.T. thru The Green Diamond, then cancels. He talks of heading much farther north and skipping The Green Diamond for now. It's the emeralds that run clear across The Green Diamond that will make him strong and prepare him for things farther north where the rocks reach clear to the sky!

Medicine Man made it, but no one here has heard of SpittinPigeon(?) wow-what a name......what a thought too.....

StarLyte
11-24-2006, 08:51
Dot's, Damascus, 6:00 p.m.

minnesotasmith
11-24-2006, 09:37
Worked poorly...

1) Cell phone. I carried it from Amicalola to Neels, sent it home, and picked it back up in Hanover. (The length of reduced monthly charge for not using it expired at the 6 month mark.) Not only did it not get service in places on the Trail I would have expected it to (i.e., atop Blood Mtn.), it did not get service in many trail towns, such as in Salisbury, CT. My provider was T-Mobil.

2) My bear spray (intended for nonleashed dogs on the Trail and in towns). I barely managed avoided being bitten by dogs a number of times, and it did me no good when not with me. To do it all over, I'd have my bear spray with me and in its chest holster from Waynesboro to just past Hanover.

Sly
11-24-2006, 10:56
Worked poorly...

2) My bear spray (intended for nonleashed dogs on the Trail and in towns). I barely managed avoided being bitten by dogs a number of times, and it did me no good when not with me. To do it all over, I'd have my bear spray with me and in its chest holster from Waynesboro to just past Hanover.

You outta get yourself over the WB legal page. Bear spray may be illegal in some states. Why not "Halt" (which may also be illegal) it's much smaller.

DawnTreader
11-24-2006, 11:18
Medicine Man made it, but no one here has heard of SpittinPigeon(?) wow-what a name......what a thought too.....

I hiked with SpittinPigeon for a while in july. He goes by BEATER on the trail.. Havn't heard from him in a while. Last I knew he skipped a section to get to Harpers Ferry. He could have been in the area for Mrs J's Dinner.. Anyone seen BEATER???

Lone Wolf
11-24-2006, 22:53
Dot's, Damascus, 6:00 p.m.

Starlyte and minnesota showed. Where was you mweinstone? No excuses.

Paul Bunyan
11-24-2006, 22:59
There are a lot of posts on this site.

emerald
11-24-2006, 23:51
There are a lot of posts on this site.

This thread has the most posts of any. That's part of why it's sometimes called The Thread. It might be nearing its end soon, because MinnesotaSmith has now finished his thru-hike. I wonder if you found the post I was trying to call to your attention in your thread? You needed to click on the underlined text, the link. It would have taken you directly to the post I had in mind. Here's my post #3065 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=253215&postcount=3065) again just in case.

ed bell
11-25-2006, 00:18
There are a lot of posts on this site.267,794 posts.:)

MedicineMan
11-25-2006, 00:36
Forgot to mention I heard Smith's start date for his southbound AT thru-hike in 2007 will be June 1st plus or minus a couple of days depending on weather....go MinSmit go!!!!!

emerald
11-25-2006, 00:42
Forgot to mention I heard Smith's start date for his southbound AT thru-hike in 2007 will be June 1st plus or minus a couple of days depending on weather....go MinSmit go!!!!!

but I'd be more interested in learning when you intend to hike The Green Diamond?

Dances with Mice
11-25-2006, 00:48
Forgot to mention I heard Smith's start date for his southbound AT thru-hike in 2007 will be June 1st plus or minus a couple of days depending on weather....go MinSmit go!!!!!Say that again slowly. MS is planning a second thru-hike? Next year? Southbound?

Alligator
11-25-2006, 01:44
Say that again slowly. MS is planning a second thru-hike? Next year? Southbound?I've got $10.00 says...

Panzer1
11-25-2006, 01:46
Oh my God...

Panzer

Panzer1
11-25-2006, 01:47
Anyone want to bet me with 25:1 odds??

Panzer

ed bell
11-25-2006, 02:18
I'm willing to bet he won't be doing that. Problem is he will give the answer, so making a bet won't work.:sun

minnesotasmith
11-25-2006, 03:48
Looks like I will be heading out on Greyhound in a day or two. Sigh.

Panzer1
11-25-2006, 03:58
Are you doing another thru next year??

Panzer

Two Speed
11-25-2006, 07:26
Anyone want to bet me with 25:1 odds??

PanzerNah, but I'll match a $25 pledge. It's worth it just to watch the fun. Heck, I'll throw in a free shuttle from Amicalola to Florida for Minnie when he gets here.

A SOBO MS hike? Too cool!

Paul Bunyan
11-25-2006, 11:18
267,794 posts.:)

Sorry, i meant on this thread.:)

ed bell
11-25-2006, 11:57
I know I was just being silly.:)

TOW
11-25-2006, 12:30
Starlyte and minnesota showed. Where was you mweinstone? No excuses.
yeah, where were you?

TOW
11-25-2006, 12:35
I met Sarlyte and MS last night at Dot's, we visited for about thirty minutes and I wish we could have visited longer. Man, Starlyte is a knockout! She has an inner buety to match too! And MS is cool! I enjoyed speaking with you MS, I look forward to meeting you again!

Lone Wolf
11-25-2006, 12:37
If she were president she'd be Baberaham Lincoln!:)

Pacific Tortuga
11-25-2006, 14:51
If she were president she'd be Baberaham Lincoln!:)

Thanks Garth or is that L. Wyane ?, is she from a shaaawing ! state ?

minnesotasmith
11-25-2006, 15:32
Are you doing another thru next year??

Panzer

Getting into this right now, other than to say the obvious:

1) I already feel some dislocation (accompanied by sleep schedule disruption, etc.) with no longer having the clear simple goal of "must make miles towards Katahdin/Kent" in front of me.

2) I will have to do major exercise once my joints heal some (akin to my 3 days off @ Hanover after I summited Katahdin) if I don't want to be a blimp by Trail Days next year. On a (the, really) trail/Trail has much to offer vs. road or track walking.

3) Only fellow hikers and others in the LD hiking community seem to understand much about all the adjustments I'm going to be dealing with. I was out on the AT doing my thruhike for a period of time rather longer than the average thruer, of which I'm well aware.

4) I would be far more efficient in how I hiked in a future thruhike, no question.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-25-2006, 15:46
Of course MN Smith will be out there next year - there will be a female dino chasing him up the trail waving her cane. (we hike about the same speed so he should be safe if he gets a bit of a head start)

mweinstone
11-25-2006, 22:59
marsha starlyte drove me to philly. i will now answer all questions concerning ms's hike. first. there will be no bears while you are sleeping.

Panzer1
11-25-2006, 23:09
Welcome back to Philly Matty. Hope you had a good time.

Panzer

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:08
fake halfway shot on way to janets and teary ms on finnish line

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:15
last lunch on ms's thru. last day on thru.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:19
last minnesota smith blaze walk by. last climb of minnesota smith up and over a style.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:24
we bushwacked to find this not so easy crossing. the reroute posted was miles to go around. as a climber, i was impressed by mr smiths speed and dareing.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:34
THE bench.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:38
restless as usual and a giant of a hostel keeper maria.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:43
the first of two completion steaks. and a happy minnesota smith!

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:47
just a couple of handsom white blazers doin what we do.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:52
ottos beloved darling ravin daydreaming about a minnesota steak.

minnesota smith eating his last meal before ravin jumped him and killed him for being mean to dogs.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 08:55
starlyte and janet. my two favorite women.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 09:00
also appearing at ms j's,.....pacer and pi both southbound.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 09:01
sorry , that pi and half of fat guy, or fat man , i forgot.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 09:05
from quebeck and with a bad knee going home on 29 hr bus from janets is xavier who i renamed from wooden feet, to professor x witch he likes and so does his family. and pacer, north and or southbounders .

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 09:15
hi,...my names minnesota smith,.....this is actualy my second thruhike. i hiked in 2006.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 09:20
yo!,.... minnisota!?,....

what?

you dropped a roll of toilet paper!

thats okay. i have more.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 09:27
gut used to stick out to here.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 10:16
this is 20 seconds of cell phone vidio i made of treegirl,ramble,treefingers, jessica and jason and myself about a month after i split ahead of ms. if this works,.. i will post ms's live finnish in one moment. as allways, popcorn and refreashments will be searved by kinnikkinnik in the lobby. line wolf is bartending and wonder is exotic dancing. the film festival begins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKeW_F_-nI

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 10:22
as i now am posting the only live footage of ms ever captured on film,......id like to point out that if books were sold and fame were got,.....then this would have been worth ,..like at least,......................................well.. ...................10 bucks.

ladies and gentlemen!!!!!!!!! MINNESOTA SMITH LIVE ON THE BIG SCREEN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0PomAwjG18

Lone Wolf
11-26-2006, 10:23
wow.thrilling.speechless.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 10:51
I WOULDNT GO THAT FAR.

HEY WOLF,.. I AM SORRY about not commin. ill be around soon enough and you can gimme all your moonshine then. i do look forward to hangin. and ill be at all the rucks and flubs and gatherings and gooches and billvills and weirdos that i can. and it felt good when marsha starlyte said you were disapointed. see you when i can my trail cousin.

Lone Wolf
11-26-2006, 10:55
i'll be at springer on new years, soruck, paruck, sgt. rock's gig in march, then hiking north from springer after that.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 10:56
dear ms, you hiked your own hike and gave the term another point on witch to stand in learning years to come. and in teaching years to come , may we as a trail community learn to look to our new freaks for membership. as our ranks can use all the members we can get. ms,... you were the best of the best this year. it was a rotton coupple of years but im just sayin you were pritty good my friend. pritty damm good lucass.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 11:01
dear mr smith senior. your son lucas has been awarded the 2000 mile rocker patch by the atc. salute is optional but suggested.matthewski, troop 00.

minnesotasmith
11-26-2006, 11:13
Here:(need sound for the first one)

1) Video and music for Enya's "Only If", my favorite of her songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t9XltqSdZ8 (javascript:ol('http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t9XltqSdZ8');) (will start playing immediately when window opens)

Lyrics for this song; note that some of it is in Gaelic: http://www.lyricsdepot.com/enya/only-if.html (javascript:ol('http://www.lyricsdepot.com/enya/only-if.html');)

Lone Wolf
11-26-2006, 11:15
linky no worky.

minnesotasmith
11-26-2006, 11:17
Cut and paste the URL. I just did that, and it worked.

minnesotasmith
11-26-2006, 11:23
dear mr smith senior. your son lucas has been awarded the 2000 mile rocker patch by the atc. salute is optional but suggested.matthewski, troop 00.

1) Got my pic taken (finally) there, and placed in the book of 2006 hikers.

2) Filled out the form for getting my 2000-miler strip patch, leaving it with a staffer at the ATC place. (This can take a while to get sent, like up to 12 weeks, I was told.)

3) Bought the central (circular) core patch that IMO you really need to go with the 2000-miler patch.

Now, I just have to decide which clothing on which to sew the 2 patches...

TOW
11-26-2006, 11:55
as i now am posting the only live footage of ms ever captured on film,......id like to point out that if books were sold and fame were got,.....then this would have been worth ,..like at least,......................................well.. ...................10 bucks.

ladies and gentlemen!!!!!!!!! MINNESOTA SMITH LIVE ON THE BIG SCREEN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0PomAwjG18
awesome man!!!

TinAbbey
11-26-2006, 12:56
matthewski, whats the month and date of that video on youtube of you treefingers, treegirl, and ramble on? do you know? im curious
team steve

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 13:09
after april 15th? i just cant remember.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 13:10
ms? got ride?

minnesotasmith
11-26-2006, 14:03
ms? got ride?

I'm being taken to the bus station in half an hour or so.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:10
forceivly?..........

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:11
taken????????????

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:12
just kidding. have a thaughtful ride and eat and sleep alot.

Dances with Mice
11-26-2006, 14:12
I'm being taken to the bus station in half an hour or so.Next stop FL or GA?

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:14
and remember the story of the ............well remember storys. talk to you soon bro. come to the trail events when you can.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:16
hes goin to jonson citi to go to atlanta to be at sisters and friends and catch a ride with the p's home.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:16
we need a thank you ms janet thread right about now.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:25
we have learned nothing over the past 9+ months. nothing changes. and its time to close. even the great matthewski admits it. do it attrol. do it good. dont let there be suffering. i think its for the best. dances should have a moment alone with the thread , then hit save and file.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:27
just kidding just kidding !

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:28
ladies and gentlemen, minnesota smith has left another building.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 14:30
hes greyhounds problem now.

Dances with Mice
11-26-2006, 14:34
I think The Thread can handle not only a few Thank You Miz Janet posts but Thanksgiving updates from other posters.

At our house we had all 3 kids, an accompanying boyfriend and girlfriend with two trailing dogs. Friday we did a hike to Raven Cliffs Falls and stopped in Helen for a beer. Then to cap it off the Aggies upset the Longhorns in Austin and the Dawgs beat the Nerds in Athens, so Christmas is just about paid for already.

TheTank
11-26-2006, 15:40
In slightly Minnesota Smith related news, and in response to the request for Thanksgiving updates I bring you my story.
The plan was simple, leave my house in Newtown, CT, pick up Minnesota Smith and Matthewski from Salsbury, CT around 11 PM Tuesday night, drive through the night, drop them in Harpers Ferry, get to Daleville, VA early in the morning, get on my bicycle and ride 43 miles to Newport, VA where I would start hiking North back to Daleville.
After much delay I made it to Salsbury around 1 AM Wednesday, picked up Minnesota Smith and Matthewski, and drove as planned, which was a night filled with very interesting conversation as you can imagine. Arrived in Harper’s Ferry around 8 AM, got breakfast, and dropped them off to go on my own adventure.
I got down to Daleville around 11:30, had to quickly grab a couple things in the grocery store, and as I walk out of the store ready to jump on my bike and ride to the trail it starts raining. I got about 15 miles down the road in the pouring rain when someone is finally nice enough to stop and offer me a ride. I tell him I am headed to Newport, says he can take me there, but some how he heard New Castle instead of Newport, and proceeds to drive me there. Getting to New Castle and figuring out the misunderstanding, he apologizes for the mistake but insists he must go some where right away and can take me no further, but points down the road and tells me it is only 30 miles to Newport.
30 miles would not have been all that bad, except that he dropped me off at the base of the mountain, after climbing what must have been about 2,000 feet up, it starts to get dark. Fortunately a police officer drives by, and stops and offers me a ride. He drives me to the trail head, and I stash my bike in the woods and start hiking. At this point I am soaking wet, it is still pouring and the rain is starting to freeze. I make the 4 miles up to the shelter, and stop there for the night, at this point I pretty much pass out after being awake for over 36 hours.
However the next three days provided amazing weather, and some great trail going over Dragon’s Tooth, McAfee Knob, and Tinker Cliffs.

Panzer1
11-26-2006, 18:47
Dam, Tank,

that's some story. i can only guess that you are what I would call a "young person" considering you drove all night long, biked, rode, then biked again in the rain/dark/uphill, then hiked in the rain and still managed to have a good time.

Whatever became of your bike?

Panzer

TheTank
11-26-2006, 19:02
After I finished hiking up to Daleville on Saterday I drove around and picked up my bike, it was still there no one messed with it in the woods. Then I had the pleasure of driving all night back to Connecticut. It was a full fun packed 4 days.

Jan LiteShoe
11-26-2006, 20:11
starlyte and janet. my two favorite women.

SHE-devil women!
Look at those eyes!
X-ray mode, ladies?
:)

emerald
11-26-2006, 21:54
You are all cordially invited to participate in the thread entitled What axe should i carry? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18392). Those of us already there look forward to your post(s).

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 22:01
yo panzer,... tanks about 2 goats. either one could handle 2.3 of us each.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 22:02
two goats is half a restless.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 22:04
restless is less than 2 fat mans. and he could kill us all!

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 22:05
basicly panzer. me and you are the weak old ones.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 22:07
in his day , minnesota smith must have been quite a lady killer. what do you think?

capehiker
11-26-2006, 22:09
I've followed this thread from start until now. Congratulations, MS, on your hike. A job well done!

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 22:11
right about now some woman is sitting nex to ms on a 29 hour bus ride. any questions?

i didnt think so

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 22:14
29 scale hours. one ms hour equals how many ms hours again?anyway its a long ride.

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 22:17
shea going to learn alot.

Lone Wolf
11-26-2006, 22:20
jezuz haich krist! ticking away..

freefall
11-26-2006, 22:31
shea going to learn alot.

About biological signifigance vs insignifigance no doubt.:rolleyes:

Panzer1
11-26-2006, 22:41
yo panzer,... tanks about 2 goats. either one could handle 2.3 of us each.

What kind of tank is he? Did you get his make and model?

Panzer

Lone Wolf
11-26-2006, 23:11
I have become comfortably numb

mweinstone
11-26-2006, 23:19
i will walk the appalachian trail next year with a smile on my face and ms
s poem in my pocket. till the first trash can. kidding.

about that being how far ill walk.
kidding.

emerald
11-26-2006, 23:46
I have become comfortably numb

Not to worry, help will come!

emerald
11-26-2006, 23:48
Not to worry, help will come!

On 2nd thought, perhaps it already has.

Panzer1
11-27-2006, 01:51
There are now 4,978 posts on this thread. There should be a prise for whoever makes the 5,000th post. Who will it be?

Panzer

MOWGLI
11-27-2006, 07:28
in his day , minnesota smith must have been quite a lady killer. what do you think?

When was he paroled?

Lone Wolf
11-27-2006, 07:41
more like a buffet killer.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 08:48
woke up to no ms hiking.wow. the man is off the trail! go ms! go ms! wow! this is diferent.oh well, lets see whats up on the axe thread. bye!

Panzer1
11-27-2006, 09:45
... lets see whats up on the axe thread. bye!

Hay, get back to where you belong... Where do you think your are going.

Panzer

TOW
11-27-2006, 10:20
shea going to learn alot.i can't stop laughing:D

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 15:35
dear god, please pay my taxes for me. and i want to do a thruhike next year. your son jesus told me to ask. xoxoxoxoxoxoxmat.

Mother's Finest
11-27-2006, 16:20
Technically, I yellow blazed the AT on Thanksgiving........

We got to spend the afternoon at my Grand Parents in-law house. This is located in Schyuckilhaven (I don't think I spelled that correctly). I passed thru Port Clinton on the way. Foggy and rainy. Very spooky afternoon.
glad everyone made it back or making it back home...
peace
mf

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:41
i also will do this thing.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:42
as his crew , shouldnt we be busy calculating his arrival time at the next terminal de la computat?

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:43
we have no mission directive.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:45
thread unravelling........... must hike to other thread shelter......cant stand much more,...............must make ms do southbound imediatly..................end to ender.....now.......

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:47
i call for an imidiate disscusion on ms returning to the trail in feb to give an oncore.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:51
as the resident freak,.....im inishiating directive 3. in witch. a. all minnesota smith fans will now disperse. go home.shows over. nothing to see here. just a used to be thread headed for the heep.please leave in an orderly fashion.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:52
as a matter of professionality. we will now poke the thread to be sure its dead. the next post is not intended to harm, but to ensure death.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:56
i .........................

mweinstone
want...............

mweinstone
the..............................

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:57
5000th............

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 16:57
post................

Darwin again
11-27-2006, 16:59
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:02
dude!!!!! you have created an imbalance in the force. now lukes bus is gonna crash. dummy.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-27-2006, 17:13
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/tombstone2.jpg

SGT Rock
11-27-2006, 17:19
Are those the start and end of the hike or the thread?

jlb2012
11-27-2006, 17:30
the thread it is hoped

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:32
im like.....totaly confused.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:37
heres the things that might happen. choose one and vote. majority wins.
thread dies at midnight.

thread dies new years eve at midnight.

thread dies a natural threadlike death and stays as long as folks post it to the forfront of page one.(no thread ever comes back from page two)

thread dies never.

thread dies when ms gives the okay. a first in wb history and one to inflame some.

thread is sold to the higest bidder.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:41
its either me or the thread. whitch one do you want to keep? matthewski or the thread. i can sacrifice myself to the thread if it will put it out of its misery. ill just go kkk on its ass.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-27-2006, 17:42
Sorry matthewski - I thought you had declared the thread dead http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19169

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:47
hi.
my names mat.
im a ms thread addict.

hi mat!

Paul Bunyan
11-27-2006, 17:47
I vote that this thread die at 12PM and all people switch to my axe thread.:D

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:49
my hacker son max has embedded a seret thread into the ms thread. clikc on the o in mweinstone to veiw. enter password "threw"

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:50
i am so there axe boy.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:51
i say we gut this thread and salvage its ass for parts.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:52
i say we detinate an above ground ms contrail devise. and stink em out.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 17:54
wrongo baked beans.shell die now and youll like it. now set your thread blockers to kill.

The Weasel
11-27-2006, 18:05
I still say Stratocasters are the best axes.

The Weasel

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 18:08
wesal i love you. your brilliant. well just change this threads bent a little. ill be right back.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 18:09
work earlier this month I had originally thought tomorrow would be my last day of work, but the office manager hasn’t hired my replacement yet.

I leave for Georgia on February 22nd and the plan is to begin north from Springer, either via the approach trail or USFS 42 on my birthday February 24th.

I’ve begun the prehike prep, but this time no mail drops, unless I mail them from the trail to myself.

The girls, Lily and Iris are suspect.

I won’t be writing a

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 18:11
to set up and get settled in before total darkness.

I began the climb up Glastenbury Mtn late afternoon of day two. I reached new trailbed right after Lydia’s Rest, north of Caughnawaga where I slid through the slick muck and managed to stay upright before the switchback leveled out onto good mineral soil. (yah, a real honest to goodness switchback can be found in Vermont!) This was the kind of muck that justifies why folks call this place “Vermud” or “Mudmont”. This kind of muck oozed into the mesh of my Mesa Ventilators. Good thing I wore my long gaitors this trip.

I heard a noise at Kid Gore Shelter, so I decided to walk a few extra steps to see who it was. I hadn’t seen another hiker since Stratton and I was antsy to talk to someone.

When I rounded the corner to the shelter I didn’t find a hiker inside the shelter, but instead, a HUGE porcupine greeted me. Porky stopped chewing on the shelter and defensively turned his back to me, arching his back, exposing all of those nasty quills.

I took a seat on the other sleeping bunk and talked calmly to the porky. After a while the porky settled down and stopped clicking his teeth in my direction. I might have temporarily blinded the critter from the flash of my camera. I took a lot of pictures. I wasn’t staying, so I bit adieu and headed up the mountain for night.

Paul Bunyan
11-27-2006, 18:31
So is this thread going to die or not? :confused: I'd love to do the honors and put it out of its misery.:D

Dances with Mice
11-27-2006, 18:41
So is this thread going to die or not? I'd love to do the honors and put it out of its misery.The Thread is not in any more misery now than its ever been.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 18:43
i just got off the phone with the dialtone. its not a trailname. i mean i was pretending to get a call. yup. and guess who i had a very nice talk with/ yup. the administaters. uh huh. and they said that they dont care about individual threads length. they only care about use. if even one person is posting. they wont shut it down. thats all my imaginary friend had to say. but im exspecting a call any moment from nobody.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 18:44
so,..... were all waiting for ms?

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 18:51
Is it just my imagination or have Matt's writing skills improved over the last 5000+ posts?

Matthewski you're flirting with cogency(trust me, that's a good thing).

Riotously funny and easily understandable.

The Thread at work.

Dances with Mice
11-27-2006, 19:10
Is it just my imagination or have Matt's writing skills improved over the last 5000+ posts?

Matthewski you're flirting with cogency(trust me, that's a good thing).

Riotously funny and easily understandable.

The Thread at work.Does it qualify as a miracle? Could The Thread have been an agent of divine intercession?! Perhaps it's now eligible for canonization.

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 19:21
Does it qualify as a miracle? Could The Thread have been an agent of divine intercession?! Perhaps it's now eligible for canonization.

Dunno.

Does The Thread have a Pope? And a College of Cardinals?

Panzer1
11-27-2006, 20:12
post................

You win Matt. You got the 5,000 th post. I can't think of a more deserving person to win the honor.. You may collect your prise from the administrator.

Panzer

Panzer1
11-27-2006, 20:13
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/tombstone2.jpg

That is so funny...

Panzer

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-27-2006, 20:22
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Thethreadrising.jpg

Panzer1
11-27-2006, 20:23
I won’t be writing a

You won't be writing a what???http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Panzer

Dances with Mice
11-27-2006, 20:51
Rumours of The Thread's demise have been greatly excagg...exager..ecksajer... talked about too much.

Paul Bunyan
11-27-2006, 20:54
Is it rumors? Or is it fact?

Dances with Mice
11-27-2006, 21:11
Is it rumors? You can go your own way.

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 21:20
Is it rumors?

You can go your own way.

Don't stop.

ed bell
11-27-2006, 21:22
So the thread is now a creative writing teacher?:-?

MOWGLI
11-27-2006, 21:22
You can go your own way.

You can call it another lonely day.

MOWGLI
11-27-2006, 21:24
Is it just my imagination...

Yes, it's running away with you.

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 21:27
So the thread is now a creative writing teacher?:-?

Oh he had the 'creative' part down pat coming in. ;)

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 21:42
Is it just my imagination

Yes, it's running away with you.

Sometimes it's really got a hold on me.

ed bell
11-27-2006, 21:44
Just got back from the store and Lindsey Buckingham was playing live on the World Cafe on 88.7 WNCW. Weird, wild stuff.:cool:

Dances with Mice
11-27-2006, 22:13
Just got back from the store and Lindsey Buckingham was playing live on the World Cafe on 88.7 WNCW. Weird, wild stuff.:cool:It was a real shame when she broke up with that guitar player.

ed bell
11-27-2006, 22:29
It was a real shame when she broke up with that guitar player.OK DWM, you lost me there. Sometimes I'm a little slow.:confused:

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 22:32
OK DWM, you lost me there. Sometimes I'm a little slow.:confused:

You know. The guitar player, Stevie Nicks.

ed bell
11-27-2006, 22:36
Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham were lesbians? Now I'm really confused.:D;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-27-2006, 22:45
Poor Ed is still rattled from being dinged with my cane earlier....

Dances with Mice
11-27-2006, 22:48
I may have it mixed up. Was Stevie the blind piano player?

Geez, howcome I can remember that the album came out during my second year of college but I have to put reminders about my anniversary on five different calandars?

ed bell
11-27-2006, 22:53
I guess when you got guys named Lindsey and girls named Stevie there is bound to be some crossed wires.;) When I was younger I used to think Fleetwood Mac was some dude.:D

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 23:01
I guess when you got guys named Lindsey and girls named Stevie there is bound to be some crossed wires.;) When I was younger I used to think Fleetwood Mac was some dude.:D

Right.

Wasn't he the drummer or something? :confused:

ed bell
11-27-2006, 23:03
Mick Fleetwood was the drummer, I think.

Dances with Mice
11-27-2006, 23:04
When I was younger I used to think Fleetwood Mac was some dude.I was taking my father in law to dinner on Peachtree Street when we walked past the Fox Theatre and there was the longest stretch limo I've ever seen parked in front. My FIL said "It must be Mr. Skynyrd's."

I was trying to count all the doors on the car and the remark almost flew by me. I looked up at the marquee to see that Lynyrd was playing.

I was going to answer one way but decided to take the easy way out. "Yes sir," I said. "I'm sure you're right."

briarpatch
11-27-2006, 23:11
[quote=Dances with Mice; ... "It must be Mr. Skynyrd's."
quote]
With apologies to Mr. Van Zant:

"If the Thread leaves here tomorrow, Would you still remember MS?"

If nothing else, the Thread shows that WBers have great free association and improv skills.

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 23:22
If nothing else, the Thread shows that WBers have great free association and improv skills.

Yes indeed.

We have spent an amazing amount of time assin' around on The Thread.

Nine months is a lot of time to fill.

Dances with Mice
11-27-2006, 23:22
Meanwhile...

The Duh! Award for scientific investigations goes to Dr. Luan Brizendine. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=419040&in_page_id=1879)

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 23:27
Meanwhile...

The Duh! Award for scientific investigations goes to Dr. Luan Brizendine. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=419040&in_page_id=1879)

I nearly e-mailed that link to my wife....

Then I realized we'd have to talk about it if I did.

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 23:31
hokay,.......lets see,......the posts were from mrs gorps tj's. im a 45 year old idiot who owes the irs 100 thousand dollars. i cant spell my own name twice the same. i havent had sex for 7 or 8 years i cant remember. i have no close friends. im not interested in much other than the stupid bible. im a total idiot. said that twice? ive never been to a doctor in my life since i was a child and i have tummers all over. i think im the next piccosso. i like sleeping in my unheated un everythinged apartment. i dont own a fork. i make my drawlings with my eyes shut. i think the correct spelling of words is more than i can bear. im an idiot around women and fall in love if a chick accedentally stares at me for a split second on a subway. i have had a date with a fat blind woman. i have embarrased myself in public by walking around in a stoned daze for years. i cant sleep. i never met anyone who belives anything i do. my 17 year old son is fifty times the man i am. i think jesus is comming tonight at 1130 for tea and distruction. i have only one nut like hitler. need more? i dont think so. but just in case......
every girlfriend ive ever had asked me if i was sure i wasnt gay. i hang with the homeless when im upset and need love. all my people are dead or astranged. i think im a remote veiwer. a psycik. a renesaunce man. a billionair to be. a child of god. and i havent had a shower in 25 years.i like baths. and your wondering if the thread is important? its all i got after jesus. thanks.

Paul Bunyan
11-27-2006, 23:39
[quote=mweinstone;277310]i never met anyone who belives anything i do. a child of god. quote]

I am about to prove you wrong. I belive i am a child of god and a friend of Jesus. He's my best friend and aint nothing going to change that.:D

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 23:45
wherever ther are bored tiered people gathered around the screen. there will be matthewski . baring his soul in hopes of one day ......well... no hopes but just for fun i bare my soul. an quite a soul it is. what with the unbelivability and the spelling and the flavin! sorry. im a soul exabitionist. and a hell of a cool ass speller. see? see what you can become by dropping out of sociaty? come on. admit it. you wish you were free like me. sucka! ha! i have beaten the system! i am free to mispell and be a freak and to be a idiot! yeah!!!!!! could someone please pass the purina loon food?

ed bell
11-27-2006, 23:48
Yes indeed.

We have spent an amazing amount of time assin' around on The Thread.

Nine months is a lot of time to fill.True, and with snoozer updates like this one:

1) My gear is on the floor right next to my bed, thank you very much. Matthewski griped about it only BC he decided yesterday to (laudably) sweep and mop the floor in the large bunkroom while I was helping with Thanksgiving meal preparations in the kitchen. He didn't want to keep me from continuing that, so he felt he had to move my stuff to my bed so he could get to the floor underneath it. That's all there is to that. (He busted his hump doing thorough and unasked-for floor cleaning throughout the house here yesterday, BTW.)

2) Still no progress on getting a ride south from here after going to Dot's in Damascus to meet Lone Wolf and others. Miss Janet says to be optimistic.

3) One bit of adjustment to no longer being in the midst of a thruhike... Switching from nonthruhiking total calorie intake to the level I got to later on in my hike was gradual and natural, as I gained my trail legs during the course of my hike. Going back to an intake level appropriate to no longer hiking for hours and hours most days needs to be fairly immediate, OTOH, presuming (as I do) that I don't want to change my trail name before Trail Days next years to "Buddha". That meant that all the guilt over excessive eating would come right back as well, despite my svelter build now.

4) I was told by several people that my "hiker hobble" would be longterm, possibly even lifelong, whereas the psychological/emotional/life routine adjustment is normally more like a week for each month I was on the Trail. I can tell you that I have long slept better (like 3-5 hours longer, on average) while camped or sheltered on the Trail than I do in a hostel, even the ruder ones.
Who could blame us.;)

mweinstone
11-27-2006, 23:55
dear 16 year old jesus face. i will now give you my version of the kum la deck. or whatever that klingon word is . the word for the test every starfleet cadet must take. its a simulation that ends in death. a no win simulation. i will give it to you to see what type of child of god you are. remember this. no one has ever beaten the scenario except for kirk who cheated and rewired the simulater.

you come home and are bound and put in a chair by an attacker in your house. he strapps you in to the chair and you cant move. but he has put a gun in your hand pointed directly at his temple. its a 50 cal desert egal. he rapes and killes each of your kids and wife while he forces you to watch. at any time you can end it by pulling the trigger. but it will kill the atacker. i watch and dont pull the trigger. thats my answer whats yours. i wont kill. if i do i truly belive god will not forgive me and i will go to hell.and getting to heven to be with him is what im doin this life. and my son knows it.

Heater
11-28-2006, 00:02
I may have it mixed up. Was Stevie the blind piano player?

No. Lesbians don't like pianists.

mweinstone
11-28-2006, 00:24
stunned crowd of ms onlookers stand wondering what happened to minnesota smith. some form groups to search the rear thread. they do not return. others jump from library steps to their deaths as they cant face the fact that the thread is hijacked and dieing. while still others remain cultlike and steadfast in there sielent praying. they gather at the site of the one in twenty five post and chant in tone.

Dances with Mice
11-28-2006, 00:26
Hey, Austexs, what's the deal with that tower on campus being so dark last Friday?

mweinstone
11-28-2006, 00:28
one in twenty five one in twenty five one in twenty five..............

an officer of the white blaze force approches and scatters the group.........locking the gate to the site. quiet desends for the first time in over 9 long pregnant months. baby sleeps in backseat of dads car on way home to florida refrigerater. all is well. all is good. goodby minnesota . good boy.smith.

Heater
11-28-2006, 00:47
Hey, Austexs, what's the deal with that tower on campus being so dark last Friday?

I didn't get downtown last Friday.
They have several different lighting schemes. Was it dark like this?
If it was it was a "solemn occasion". Don't know what the occasion was, though. They don't do it just because the lost a game, though.

http://www.utexas.edu/opa/pubs/oncampus/02oc_issues/oc020129/tower7.jpg

Panzer1
11-28-2006, 02:08
Yesterday there were 87 posts on this thread. I think that means that "the thread" is still alive and well. Not time to close down yet.

Panzer

MOWGLI
11-28-2006, 07:32
could someone please pass the purina loon food?

You ought to write a book Matt. I think you are very talented.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-28-2006, 08:40
You ought to write a book Matt. I think you are very talented.I agree.,,,,

Gray Blazer
11-28-2006, 08:42
You ought to write a book Matt. I think you are very talented.yeah, e e mweinstone. kill the rapist or do like kirk and rewire him or lobotomize him.

mweinstone
11-28-2006, 08:44
it is tuesday morning and i am the worlds largest human being. today i will squish the nation of china into a tiny tiny ball of goo to be used to stop a leak on my sink. next i will kill all aliens and return control of our planet to the humans. and before dinner i will take a nap. inbetween all this i will creat the next greatest art to sweep the art world. and as a finnalli, i will launch to the trail to begin a nobo if im rich in time to catch the bus. basicaly its an easy day. tommorow i will correct the axis of the earth. thats a crappy job. ya have to go under the south pole with a digging iron and pry loose the pile of atlas's poop from under his foot. see, he poops alot and then stands on ot and then the earth starts getting crooked and i have to scrape the crap from his foot to fix it.