PDA

View Full Version : MinnesotaSmith Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Sly
08-08-2006, 16:47
Section hiking, flip flopping too good for you? To paraphrase Michael Savage "Purism is a mental disorder!" :eek:

mweinstone
08-08-2006, 16:47
what wheather.? what wheather large ugly bags of mostly water? what wheather? its from star trek.

kirk" we did not know that you existed in the sand. we will leave and never return"
sand microbes"large ugly bags of water destroy our world,...death..."
kirk"we are sorry and we came in peace"

Nean
08-09-2006, 02:35
The Skipper and Gilligan.

Ray and Wook. :eek:

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 06:49
be on the look out for a fat white guy.

that is all.

Nightwalker
08-09-2006, 07:12
once i wrote a poem for my son that contained the charictures of me ,his mom, and him in alagory. so i wrote a single sentence describing each of us. about myself i wrote i was a lover of men. my son teased me for it cause it sounds gay witch im not .it means im not to proud to love any of gods creations, men,women,bums and crackheads,etc. i pray the best for all mankind.
Very good, kiddo. I may have to quit hasslin' ya. (Maybe not.) :)

Nightwalker
08-09-2006, 07:13
So why not just go to Maine and hike south to Pearisburg?
Meet me at Baxter on the 17th.

StarLyte
08-09-2006, 08:27
Ray and Wook. :eek:

Nean you're on it.

Footslogger
08-09-2006, 08:33
I've lost track ...what is this thread about ??

'Slogger

weary
08-09-2006, 08:38
'Slogger
Good question, at least for folks who are worried about such things. Some people are like that. Always looking for an about.

Footslogger
08-09-2006, 08:40
Some people are like that. Always looking for an about.
=========================
Hey Weary ...you pickin on me ??

'Slogger

Nean
08-09-2006, 08:49

'Slogger

I had to go to the top of the page to find out myself.:o Most veiws ever on WB and will soon be the most post. Good fun and many ROTFLMAOs.

BTW, Best wishes on reaching your goal MS!:)

Nightwalker
08-09-2006, 12:09
=========================
Hey Weary ...you pickin on me ??

'Slogger
You love it. :eek:

Footslogger
08-09-2006, 12:18
You love it. :eek:

======================

I do ???

Hmmm ........

'Slogger

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 16:33
my foot called, yeah,.. he left a message for your ass. he wants to meet!

LAUGHING OUT LOUD

MINNISOTA SMITH IS A THRUHIKING GOD.

Sly
08-09-2006, 16:41
I had to go to the top of the page to find out myself.:o Most veiws ever on WB and will soon be the most post. Good fun and many ROTFLMAOs.

It has another 300 posts to top Warren's closed thread. Had it not been closed, it probably would have been doubled by now, posts and views.

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 17:23
the wheather for nite time lows for where minnisota smith should be?im thinking it still might be hot at night. or has he gone north enough yet to even make a difference. should we call a cab to pick him up trailside at pawling ? if we hear hes on a schedual it might be possible and helpfull and inspiring. i know it would be cool if we could arrange it and then do it.

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 17:25
me sir mean ,.......cabby trail angel

Dances with Mice
08-09-2006, 19:10
He called to celebrate Cynthia McKinney De-Election Day here in Georgia. (He really didn't know anything about it, he's not keeping up with current events right now).

The Center (and it's water fountain!) closed at 6! He was there at 7 looking through the glass door at that beautiful cold water fountain just inside the Center.

But there's a stream next to the Parkway that will be his water supply. Two more miles tonight to West Mountain Shelter which is 0.6 miles off the Trail.

NY is dry. Real dry.

Red - he remembered you & told me the story of the Grey parrot & the owl.

Jumping to Hanover on the 19th is the plan right now.

STEVEM
08-09-2006, 19:31
Matthew: MS should be in Pawling in about 5-days. Maybe you can arrange for Donald Trump to send a chopper. I am sure he will take your credit card.

Nean
08-10-2006, 00:40
So, MS is going to skip up to Hanover.:eek: Good for him. I think he will enjoy his walk much more, which might just be more important than a bunch of macho BS.:-? His odds are now even. :D Happy Trails MS. :sun

mdionne
08-10-2006, 03:36
Page 52 :eek:

mweinstone
08-10-2006, 07:39
i remote veiwed it. yeah,.. he kept walking,... made it all the way,...yep!

so there.

your wrong im right.

haha

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 08:40

'Slogger

Right 'Slog----

Jack Tarlin
08-10-2006, 11:53
Am looking forward to Smitty's arrival here in Hanover, especially watching his little eyes bulge out as he takes in the assorted sights on Main Street.

Will also bring him round to Five Olde for a beverage, as long as he behaves himself.

Could be a fun weekend, assuming he survives it.

max patch
08-10-2006, 11:55
Last time I was there the coeds wore jeans.

He'll hate it.

Jack Tarlin
08-10-2006, 11:59
Not in mid-August they don't.

But he'll still find a way to hate it! :D

Dances with Mice
08-10-2006, 12:27
Am looking forward to Smitty's arrival here in Hanover, especially watching his little eyes bulge out as he takes in the assorted sights on Main Street. His idea was to rest on the Trail for a day or two before the ride because he has to be near a road crossing and make pickup arrangments with with (...I believe...) Train Angel Steve, then keep moving on through Hanover. So he wasn't planning to spend a lot of time there.

But I'll, uh, bet that he can be convinced to sit down in a pub and chat for awhile.

mweinstone
08-10-2006, 16:22
not much news here at home other than i pissed off everyone and lone wolf hates my guts. i got two words for ya,..

powdered gatoraid.

live it love it learn it

Lone Wolf
08-10-2006, 16:27
not much news here at home other than i pissed off everyone and lone wolf hates my guts. i got two words for ya,..

powdered gatoraid.

live it love it learn it
I love you very much. I was pissed at the world yesterday. All is well today. Cocktails at Dot's soon.:)

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 16:41

powdered gatoraid.

live it love it learn it

I'm not pissed off at you. Even though I was a little mad at the posting you made about my friends.

And I do admire your honesty Matthewski. That's one thing you do have.

Lone Wolf doesn't hate you. He's just very honest.

Let's ALL meet at Dots.

Heater
08-11-2006, 02:31

powdered gatoraid.

live it love it learn it

Nobody hates you. Powdered anything gives you gas. :rolleyes:

austexs, out... :banana

Heater
08-11-2006, 02:33
I love you very much. I was pissed at the world yesterday. All is well today. Cocktails at Dot's soon.:)

Does this mean you have cancelled the manhunt? :-?

bfitz
08-11-2006, 04:04
Not in mid-August they don't.

But he'll still find a way to hate it! :D
You kidding? He loves it. It's all a game. A challenge for females to overcome! Ever see him smile when some chika tries on his backpack? Try to pay attention!You think a man with a mind like that would be happy with some subservient female who couldn't stand up and take what he has to give? Don't be ridiculous, he doesn't even talk to women like that that, he talks to trail hikin hairy women who are willing to vigourously argue back. Of course he's not conciously aware of this fact......

Dances with Mice
08-11-2006, 09:43
No news about MS, I'm afraid. But has anybody heard from W-B member The Goat lately?

He's not ... nah, it couldn't be .... (http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-tales/goat-crowned-king-of-ireland-at-ancient-fair/2006/08/10/1154803035260.html)

mweinstone
08-11-2006, 15:41
yo minnisota smith. bruno is in the hospital in germanny and miss janet asks us to send up a cheer for him to get well. and she likes the idea i posted about them getting married. she said that was a wonderful idea. she means it. they are the best together.hostel owners make 2dpllars an hour after all is said and done. i stand corrected .she exsplained it to me .sorry all.
Yesterday, 16:43
Miss Janet

View my Gallery
Hi there
Just a note about your post about hostels and money... Thank you for paying but not everyone does. I wouldn't have been surprised if you had chosen not to pay; considering where you ended up sleeping!
I do not want to change my honor pay system but I really should make everyone accountable. There were also several "work for stay" hikers when you were here so usually 12 out of the 16-18 staying are actually paying. and I only have those numbers for about 6-8 weeks

Just a few things to consider:

I was using close to 50$ worth of gas every day and almost nobody gives gas money... so 2 and 1/2 hikers for gas another 1/2 hiker for other auto expenses.

Breakfast groceries and paper supplies were on average $50 each day. = another 2 and 1/2 hikers

The natural gas bill, electric bill and the water bill totaled over 2400$ for the 4 months of the "hiker season" = another hiker per day.

Now consider that I pay over 2,000 $ a year in taxes...
well over 2,000 for insurance
Hundreds for fees and lisences...

After all the expenses are paid I figure I am making about $6,700 a year....

$6,700 divided by 50-40 hour weeks would mean I make $3.35 cents an hour... Add in overtime( anything over 8 hours a day) and I clear under 2$ an hour

I don't do this for the money but it sure takes all the money to do it!

I am sorry I am just rambling on. I am a little touchy right now.

The past few weeks have been very difficult. Bruno was coming to visit for 90 days and that has been cancelled because he is very ill and in the hospital in Germany. Please send out some positive thoughts for him to get well soon. He liked you alot. I read another of your posts saying you wished we would get married... what a wonderful idea!

Dances with Mice
08-11-2006, 19:43
He is at Graymoor, and will stay there tonight.

NY, as has been said before, is dry. There is no water at West Mountain,Brien or Fingerboard shelters. Most streams are also dry.
He's been carrying 5-6 litres of water for safety.

He will be in Kent, CT on 8/18, Then skip to Hanover NH on 8/19.

Weather for the next few days looks great: 75-80 days, 50-55 nights.

I just got a bunch of photos from MS' hike and I'll be putting them online soon but this weekend will be unusually busy at the DWM house. Try not to die of antici.....

........pation!

weary
08-11-2006, 21:09
"After all the expenses are paid I figure I am making about $6,700 a year....

$6,700 divided by 50-40 hour weeks would mean I make $3.35 cents an hour... Add in overtime( anything over 8 hours a day) and I clear under 2$ an hour

I don't do this for the money but it sure takes all the money to do it!

I am sorry I am just rambling on. I am a little touchy right now.

The past few weeks have been very difficult. Bruno was coming to visit for 90 days and that has been cancelled because he is very ill and in the hospital in Germany. Please send out some positive thoughts for him to get well soon. He liked you alot. I read another of your posts saying you wished we would get married... what a wonderful idea!"
I loved Rusty's and its donation only policy -- though I recognized that he was a mecca for free loaders. When the Cabin opened I urged a similar policy. Earle and Marge tried it for a couple of years and it proved impossible.

They would have loved $2 an hour income. Instead they lost many more than $2 an hour. Only partime winter jobs kept them in the black.

Anyway, Miss Janet, my advice now is to charge at least what your services cost and hope that enough will donate a little extra to contribute towards the support of your kids, with may be a bit left over to contribute what is needed for the occasional hiker that truly can't pay.

Weary.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2006, 21:17
Hikers ain't no different than the rest of the human population. They will steal and freeload with the best and rest of humans. All hostels should have set rates, pay up front and x amount for shuttles. Frig these work-for-stay scum. At the end of the day they got $$$ for beer, cigs, and fast food. I am not a part of todays "hiker community".

Dances with Mice
08-11-2006, 21:21
Am I the only one uncomfortable with someone's biz being shared with the entire board? It was sent as a Private Message and should have stayed private.

weary
08-11-2006, 21:51
Am I the only one uncomfortable with someone's biz being shared with the entire board? It was sent as a Private Message and should have stayed private.
Hmmm. So that's why I couldn't find Janet's original message. Sorry about that. Though my advice holds.

Hikerhead
08-11-2006, 22:34
Yeah I'm with you on that DWM. Poor taste.

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 22:43
Do you realize this thread is in all likelyhood going to end up as the longest thread in WhiteBlaze history? It is only about 335 posts away, that is about 17 pages more.

Dances with Mice
08-11-2006, 22:51
Do you realize this thread is in all likelyhood going to end up as the longest thread in WhiteBlaze history? It is only about 335 posts away, that is about 17 pages more.800 some-odd miles left, plus the post-hike wrap up discussion. Should be no problem, but it's also not intentional. So which thread has the record?

Alligator
08-11-2006, 22:58
Do you realize this thread is in all likelyhood going to end up as the longest thread in WhiteBlaze history? It is only about 335 posts away, that is about 17 pages more.Weeelllll, he did start in Feb.

---

mdionne
08-11-2006, 22:59
lets see...:-?

we're at 53 pages now.

the first at page started in february, that's about 7.5 pages per month

he has two months and 1 week left.

but he's skipping ahead so that gives the thread some time.

at this rate it's a close call it just might not make it...

we'll start at 2 to 1 odds this thread makes it :D

Alligator
08-11-2006, 23:03
I know it's all relative but I have my page set to 40 posts a page. Don't worry, I can do the math:) .

Dances with Mice
08-11-2006, 23:10
We haven't even started the discussion of his photos. And MS & I are trying to arrange his arrival on Mt Washington to be captured live on the summit webcam, so stay tuned.

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 23:25
800 some-odd miles left, plus the post-hike wrap up discussion. Should be no problem, but it's also not intentional. So which thread has the record?

The Warren Doyle thread that was closed.

saimyoji
08-12-2006, 01:37
Back to the most recent issue: posting of a private message without permission. I agree, get permission first, unless you already did.

As to this becoming the largest thread on WB? Shameful. But what better topic covering so many aspects of one man's hike could be more appropriate?
:banana

How many of you will owe money in a few months? :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 04:42
Back to the most recent issue: posting of a private message without permission. I agree, get permission first, unless you already did.

As to this becoming the largest thread on WB? Shameful. But what better topic covering so many aspects of one man's hike could be more appropriate?
:banana

How many of you will owe money in a few months? :rolleyes:
Yes, it is generally accepted netiquette that you do not post e-mails, PMs or other private correspondence on the net in public spaces without approval from the sender.

And a long thread about a hike? Closest competitors were the thread that turned into a Warren Doylel bash-fest and a flaming war thread. I think it is a good trend here :D

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 06:40
slaps, favorite bedtime story.slap is a 3 year old labradore retriever who loves listening to storys. minnisota smiths name makes her bark for some reason.

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 07:02
miss janets world is devoted to her daughters. as mine is to my son. they love bruno, she loves bruno, bruno loves them, thru hikers love them all. shes a legond and an angle and we all would love nothing more than to see them pushed together for there own good here in the naked open fourum of whit blaze.sorry if the jewish matchmaker in me cant resist but things like this supperseed stupid curtasy rules. im not part of your sosiaty. im not your puppet. i call em as i see em. heres how i see you all. a wonderfull support group for trailys.nothing negitive you say or do will hurt.you guys are even cute and funny when you stand on your social haunches and blast out edict.im not sure what i just wrote but i think its what i ment. i have absolutly no idea what either haunches are or edict is.and another thing,.....while im at my peak morning stupidity level,.....shut up! and talk about minnisota smith and how matthewskis prediction that hes not going to flip is stupid. cause when he walks straight thru i wanna shove those posts at you.

as allways i remaine, a bad ass speller!

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 08:41
miss janets world is devoted to her daughters. as mine is to my son. they love bruno, she loves bruno, bruno loves them, thru hikers love them all. shes a legond and an angle and we all would love nothing more than to see them pushed together for there own good here in the naked open fourum of whit blaze.sorry if the jewish matchmaker in me cant resist but things like this supperseed stupid curtasy rules. im not part of your sosiaty. im not your puppet. i call em as i see em. heres how i see you all.
Well actually sport the "stupid courtesy rules" were developed informally over the years because of people posting personal stuff like this and having BAD consequences. If you wanted to play matchmaker between two people why post the message to a place where 10,000 others can see it? That would be like wanting me and my wife to settle a problem so we take it on the Maury Povitch show - that seems to work so well for those people to have lots and lots of strangers in their business. So you don't have to be our "puppet" but you may want to think about the people you think you are trying to "help".:-?

a wonderfull support group for trailys.nothing negitive you say or do will hurt.you guys are even cute and funny when you stand on your social haunches and blast out edict.im not sure what i just wrote but i think its what i ment. i have absolutly no idea what either haunches are or edict is.
Well actually we made no edicts, if it were an edict it would have to come from a position of power like an administrator and you would be required to follow it lest ye be banned. No one did it so stop playing the poor picked on martyr, and learn from other hikers, and move on with your life. We all come here to learn from each other - and besides about hiking it can also mean what is acceptable on the web. Seems like you had a problem once with your son using your profile to do dumb stuff on the web - well set a better example for him to follow than to get offended when someone points out you have done something wrong. :rolleyes:

and another thing,.....while im at my peak morning stupidity level,.....shut up! and talk about minnisota smith and how matthewskis prediction that hes not going to flip is stupid. cause when he walks straight thru i wanna shove those posts at you.

as allways i remaine, a bad ass speller!

Lone Wolf
08-12-2006, 09:20
miss janets world is devoted to her daughters. as mine is to my son. they love bruno, she loves bruno, bruno loves them, thru hikers love them all. shes a legond and an angle and we all would love nothing more than to see them pushed together for there own good here in the naked open fourum of whit blaze.sorry if the jewish matchmaker in me cant resist but things like this supperseed stupid curtasy rules. im not part of your sosiaty. im not your puppet. i call em as i see em. heres how i see you all. a wonderfull support group for trailys.nothing negitive you say or do will hurt.you guys are even cute and funny when you stand on your social haunches and blast out edict.im not sure what i just wrote but i think its what i ment. i have absolutly no idea what either haunches are or edict is.and another thing,.....while im at my peak morning stupidity level,.....shut up! and talk about minnisota smith and how matthewskis prediction that hes not going to flip is stupid. cause when he walks straight thru i wanna shove those posts at you.

as allways i remaine, a bad ass speller!I met Bruno 10 years ago. He was a total Ahole. Has he changed?

TOW
08-12-2006, 09:24
I met Bruno 10 years ago. He was a total Ahole. Has he changed?he was nice to me when i was there...........

Nightwalker
08-12-2006, 12:30
as allways i remaine, a bad ass speller!And possibly a bit stoned...

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 12:37
Different Bruno, Wolf. Two totally different people.

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 21:33
the big staff, el torro, frier tuck,the sultan of sherwood, the trailsmithy,mr water purification 1999-2005, the worlds single most minnosotic,smithulistic,haver of maps, the one the only,guy from minnisota who is doing a plain old thru hike of the appalachian trail and for some unknown reason has become the focus of many and the obbsesion of some and who walks slow and makes everyone care.i hope hes well .

Dances with Mice
08-12-2006, 22:47
I have a collection of photos MS took on the Trail. Scenery, ponies, snakes, Trail Angels, shelters, bears, bugs, other hikers, you know, stuff like that. I've selected a couple of the most interesting for your perusal:

MS at Caledonia Furnace. (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/caledonia.jpg)

MS on the Trail (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/trail.jpg)getting close to Harper's Ferry.

Entering (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/trail2.jpg)(or leaving?) civilization.

Taking time to chill and admire the view (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/chillin.jpg).

Hikers at the Feed (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/hikers.jpg)petting a dog. Yep, a couple dog photos are in the collection. Not mean, snarling dogs; I'm talking about happy shots of hikers with their dogs. If someone can put names to faces, let me know.

Some photos (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/balt-jack.jpg)just can't be described.

A very considerate (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/nonsnoring.jpg) Trail Club exists out there somewhere.

Extremely (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/snoring.jpg)considerate!

He photographed two bear cubs in a tree with mommy (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/3bearsclosup.jpg)bear doing guard duty below. I cropped the photo and enlarged the detail with the bears. Not the clearest photo but you can make out the major players in the scene. I guess we can't blame him for not getting closer.

Stay tuned for more.

Alligator
08-12-2006, 23:03

Hikers at the Feed (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/hikers.jpg)petting a dog. Yep, a couple dog photos are in the collection. Not mean, snarling dogs; I'm talking about happy shots of hikers with their dogs. If someone can put names to faces, let me know.
Funkey Monkey bottom left, Wolf 23000 in the Army jacket, that guy in the black shirt looks awful familiar...

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 23:15
Does he always dress that covered up on the top?

That looks hot and uncomfortable.

weary
08-12-2006, 23:39
the big staff, el torro, frier tuck,the sultan of sherwood, the trailsmithy,mr water purification 1999-2005, the worlds single most minnosotic,smithulistic,haver of maps, the one the only,guy from minnisota who is doing a plain old thru hike of the appalachian trail and for some unknown reason has become the focus of many and the obbsesion of some and who walks slow and makes everyone care.i hope hes well .
Actually, there is no mystery. Over the months, MS posted a lot of off the wall opino a few accepted as truth, but most recognized as nonsense.

Both sides seem to recognize that most recognizeas

StarLyte
08-13-2006, 00:06

I saw him 4 days straight in Duncannon - yes he was dressed like this. It did look hot and uncomfortable, but he didn't show it. Not a drop of sweat - and it was HOT.

Dances with Mice
08-13-2006, 00:09
Actually, there is no mystery. Over the months, MS posted a lot of off the wall opino a few accepted as truth, but most recognized as nonsense.

Both sides seem to recognize that most recognizeasDammit Mathewski, now you've got Weary writing like you.

weary
08-13-2006, 00:25
Dammit Mathewski, now you've got Weary writing like you.
You're right. I read my post and wondered what in the world it was that I was trying to say. If I could figure it out I would edit it.

I lead a hike on one of our land trust preserves this morning and have spent most of the day freezing blueberries and getting an AMC newsletter ready for the press on Monday. I guess I must have dozed off and inadvertently hit the send key.

Weary

fiddlehead
08-13-2006, 00:37
I'll forgive you Weary. Your age and activities amaze me. I hope to meet you someday.

mweinstone
08-13-2006, 07:43
the pics of you are weird. your legs are skinny, your belly and shoulders are way smaller and you have a look of exausted,..exausted,...well,...exaushtion i guess is what im trying to say. you look well haggared about the face and much skin tanning has left you both rugged and starved looking. kind of like a bear after hybernation.or a climber comming down from everest. this is weird! your people arent going to know what happened to you. you are different. the only thing the same at all in any way are the eyes and glasses. they are the minnisota smith i know. even your hat looks tired. you really put alot of energy into this hike and i dont want you to flip,jump,worry,stop,delay,or otherwise do anything out of accordence with your original ideal ideas.godspeed skinny and eat some food would you please.

boarstone
08-13-2006, 09:51
Let me know if I can help up here on the Katadin end, I'm about 40 miles from Abol/BSP, willing to pick up/drop off if MS needs ride to/from BSP. I can be reached at [email protected] /ph 207-965-8464:)

It depends where he is at the moment.

Getting to, say Hanover, is fairly easy, especially if one doesn't mind hitching.

There's all sorts of bus service available from New York or New Jersey; Amtrak services White River Junction, a few miles from Hanover. There's daily bus service from WRJ to Hanover, or it's a cheap cab ride.

If he can get to Hanover, he's welcome to stay with me for as long as he needs, saving money on lodging expenses, which can be considerable arround here.

If he decides to jump ahead, I hope he posts this information here, so other folks who might be near his position might be in a position to help him with a ride, shuttle, bed for the night, etc.

P.S. This doesn't just involve Smitty. I'll be happy to help anyone else coming thru Hanover in pretty much the same fashion, as I expect to be here for a few weeks before heading North.

Nean
08-13-2006, 10:19
I loved Rusty's and its donation only policy

Donations only -don't work for most people.:confused: You have do be very dedicated to crying and whinning constantly. Those sad songs con a lot of hikers. Plus the amount of signs- for donations, whinning , etc. are not how most places care to run a hostel.:rolleyes: I prefer a set price, paid at check-in so to speak, and if you have a little/ lot more to donate, you can. I can't think of anything wrong w/ that.:-? I don't think you, or Rusty, want to know what else is wrong with the donation only at Rustys.;)

mweinstone
08-13-2006, 14:42
six months this week. any questions, comments ,opinions? i really dont think there should be. just pure joy and happyness at our boys travel .hes the best thing to happen to a thruhiking class since tang.
you go minnisota smith ,you go now.

briarpatch
08-13-2006, 14:44
Didn't Ward Leonard also hike completely covered?

The Old Fhart
08-13-2006, 18:43
briarpatch-"Didn't Ward Leonard also hike completely covered?" On one of his more recent hikes I saw him on Mt. Washington with a complete green rain suit and a brimmed hat.

TOW
08-13-2006, 18:49
On one of his more recent hikes I saw him on Mt. Washington with a complete green rain suit and a brimmed hat.Is Chip still out there? Last time I saw him, he was wearing pretty lightweight clothing, and that was Feburary 2001.....

general
08-13-2006, 19:43
I saw him 4 days straight in Duncannon - yes he was dressed like this. It did look hot and uncomfortable, but he didn't show it. Not a drop of sweat - and it was HOT.

he wasn't sweating because he was dehydrated due to the fact that he doesn't know how to find water in dry conditions and wouldn't drink it if he could.

Sly
08-13-2006, 20:20
Funny how some won't drink water out of a pure mountain stream, high above the cattle or farms, but will drink it out of a stranger's trunk!

general
08-13-2006, 20:48
Funny how some won't drink water out of a pure mountain stream, high above the cattle or farms, but will drink it out of a stranger's trunk!

drink some water out of my trunk, and you can forget the next three days. literaly.

LandscapeMan
08-13-2006, 22:57
Hi,
First Post here.

I was on a afternoon hike on the AT around Canopus Lake in Clarence Fahnestock State Park in NY. I met MS very briefly along the trail and he asked me to post a message on your forum. He mentioned that today was his first 14 mile day since he was sick. I hope I got that right. My memory not being the best. I read a few pages of posts here about MS.
Very interesting. If I had thought of it in time. I would have taken a picture of MS and posted it. Very impressive that MS is doing this thru hike. I will do a bit more reading to get some back story.

My first impression was that I was quite surprised to see the amount of items he was wearing about the head. And the amount of gear he was packing! :-? I am stickly a day hiker so I have no direct knowledge and have all the respect in the world for those of you that thru-hike the AT.

Having day hiked the AT near Fontana Dam NC. And MD PA. And NY. Just a casuall observation is that the farther north I am the more likely that the thru hikers I have encountered are carrying less gear. Last
summer I was day hiking the AT here in NY. And ran into 4 young guys hiking thru from Georgia. I swear I was carrying more for a day hike than they were for there through hike!

This weekend was great hiking weather! :sun

Charlie

saimyoji
08-13-2006, 23:20
Well, landscapeman, if that is your REAL name, your spelling errors clearly give you away as mweinstoned.

In the slight chance that you are legit: search under Member List in the top tool bar. Find MS, then search "all posts by MS." Start at the begining, the earliest date. Read everything. Only then can you truly appreciate MS for what he has accomplished so far. I'm being sincere; many of us have seen a real transformation in MS.

Personally, I think he's a bearded man in denial. But you'll have to ask him about that. :D:banana

Nah, we're basically a good group with a few screwballs. Welcome to WhiteBlaze, glad to have. :welcome

Just Jeff
08-13-2006, 23:32
No way, saimyoji - LandscapeMan had understandable grammar and even used paragraph breaks!! No stream of consciousness, either. No way he's matthewski.

Nean
08-13-2006, 23:34
Didn't Ward Leonard also hike completely covered?

He told me he was sensitive to the sun due to his meds. He was dressed head to toe everytime our paths crossed. He was packing 3 liters of Dr. Pepper last time I saw him, and not much else.:)

Sly
08-13-2006, 23:45
drink some water out of my trunk, and you can forget the next three days. literaly.

Somehow sounds familar....... :o

saimyoji
08-13-2006, 23:51
No way, saimyoji - LandscapeMan had understandable grammar and even used paragraph breaks!! No stream of consciousness, either. No way he's matthewski.

DUH!! Obviously weinstoner would change his MO when posting in cognito. :cool:

The signs are there. :eek:

saimyoji
08-13-2006, 23:53
Somehow sounds familar....... :o

Don't tell me YOU fell for this same ruse? This guy is a menace. I say we sick the gun toting crowd and the irresponsible dog owner crowd on him. And what the heck, let slip the cell phone users too. :D

Heater
08-13-2006, 23:58
Don't tell me YOU fell for this same ruse? This guy is a menace. I say we sick the gun toting crowd and the irresponsible dog owner crowd on him. And what the heck, let slip the cell phone users too. :D

And when all is said and done, lay him to rest in a hammock. :D

saimyoji
08-14-2006, 00:01
And when all is said and done, lay him to rest in a hammock. :D

...to be set alight by an upturned JetBoil. :bse

LandscapeMan
08-14-2006, 00:28
Well, landscapeman, if that is your REAL name, your spelling errors clearly give you away as mweinstoned.

In the slight chance that you are legit: search under Member List in the top tool bar. Find MS, then search "all posts by MS." Start at the begining, the earliest date. Read everything. Only then can you truly appreciate MS for what he has accomplished so far. I'm being sincere; many of us have seen a real transformation in MS.

Personally, I think he's a bearded man in denial. But you'll have to ask him about that. :D:banana

Nah, we're basically a good group with a few screwballs. Welcome to WhiteBlaze, glad to have. :welcome
Well I did not read all the posts, but quite a few. I see he has accomplished a great deal more than I would attempt.

Hmnn, I even got out the trail guide to make sure I had the names spelled correctly ( which they are). Of course i probably miss-spelled other words. I am lost with out spell check.

Not sure what you you mean by not being legit?

Thanks for the welcome!

Charlie ( my real name )

saimyoji
08-14-2006, 00:45
Not sure what you you mean by not being legit?

Thanks for the welcome!

Charlie ( my real name )

By legit I only mean that you are truly who you say you are, and not an existing poster posing as a new person in the attempt to hungding us.

So, if it is you, mwiennerstoned, rightonstoned. ;)

Dances with Mice
08-14-2006, 08:21
...Not sure what you you mean by not being legit? Thanks for the welcome! Charlie ( my real name )Welcome, Charlie. You've arrived in the middle of a very long discussion so there's a lot of backstory and inside jokes that you can't be expected to understand. Mr. Smith's hike has resulted in several new members joining Whiteblaze, I'd think other posters should be used to that by now.

We're delighted to hear from you and glad you survived your encounter with Minnesota Smith. If you can teach a few survival skills to others on the Trail ahead of you, you may prevent an unknown amount of tragedy. There are three simple rules: Don't discuss politics, economics, or comment on the size of his pack. He is mostly harmless unless you happen to be eating or carrying Cadbury's chocolate.

If you happen to have Cadbury's, he might charge. Most people can outrun him but it's safest to quickly toss it away, to the side of the Trail NOT AT YOUR FEET.

So he's back up to double digit daily mileage. That's really good to hear. Thanks again for taking the time to update us.

The Solemates
08-14-2006, 09:34

Every picture I have ever seen of him that has been posted here on WB, he has been dressed like that. It's no wonder he carries 2 gallons of water and is struggling with hydration and low energy! But, in that spirit...hyoh!

general
08-14-2006, 11:02

you qouted a post from sly that quoted a post from me. simple question, is this post and the next about setting some alight in a hammock directed at me, or did i misunderstand?

saimyoji
08-14-2006, 11:42
you qouted a post from sly that quoted a post from me. simple question, is this post and the next about setting some alight in a hammock directed at me, or did i misunderstand?

Actually I think the setting him alight part was inspired by austex. Either way I was referring to the guy doling water out of his trunk, with inferences to the anti-dog/cellphones/JetBoil etc. crew.

Was only meant in fun. I really have no plans to set you alight in your hammock. Not yet anyway.... :eek:

general
08-14-2006, 12:22
Actually I think the setting him alight part was inspired by austex. Either way I was referring to the guy doling water out of his trunk, with inferences to the anti-dog/cellphones/JetBoil etc. crew.

Was only meant in fun. I really have no plans to set you alight in your hammock. Not yet anyway.... :eek:

in that case, i have no plans to hunt you down like an animal. not yet anyway.

LandscapeMan
08-14-2006, 15:40
Welcome, Charlie. You've arrived in the middle of a very long discussion so there's a lot of backstory and inside jokes that you can't be expected to understand. Mr. Smith's hike has resulted in several new members joining Whiteblaze, I'd think other posters should be used to that by now.

We're delighted to hear from you and glad you survived your encounter with Minnesota Smith. If you can teach a few survival skills to others on the Trail ahead of you, you may prevent an unknown amount of tragedy. There are three simple rules: Don't discuss politics, economics, or comment on the size of his pack. He is mostly harmless unless you happen to be eating or carrying Cadbury's chocolate.

If you happen to have Cadbury's, he might charge. Most people can outrun him but it's safest to quickly toss it away, to the side of the Trail NOT AT YOUR FEET.

So he's back up to double digit daily mileage. That's really good to hear. Thanks again for taking the time to update us.

Thank you for taking the time to post the rules of the road and the backstory!!

I really did not get a chance to discuss anything with MS.
Other than he wanted me to post the sighting. Sounds like it would have been a interesting conversation if we had a chance to talk more.

I am never sure if I should try to engage in a longer conversation because I don't want to hold anyone up on such a long hard journey. At least now I will have a topic of interest to bring up thanks to your website.

I only had fresh fruits and nuts with me. I was actually stopped for a snack when I ran into MS. I should have offered him some of my bounty, but I did not think of it at the time.

BTW. MS did mention that there were people on this thread that were more interested in his journey than he was. I think I am begining to understand his point.

Thanks again for giving me a clear picture of how this thread works.

Charlie

ed bell
08-14-2006, 16:02
BTW. MS did mention that there were people on this thread that were more interested in his journey than he was. He sure has hiked a long way if he is less interested in his journey than some poeople on this thread.:D:sun

Heater
08-14-2006, 17:57
in that case, i have no plans to hunt you down like an animal. not yet anyway.

I just have to go on the record here saying I did not say and do not endorse in any way, setting people on fire in their hammocks. :)

In addition, I understand that Siamyogi was just cutting up when he inserted "a jetboil under the hammock" into the water, dog, cellphone, hammock scenario. ;)

Oops. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "cutting up". I might get tagged as "The Butcher of Blood Mountain" or something! :eek:

People have been really touchy around here lately.
Must be hot over there on the East coast. :sun

mweinstone
08-14-2006, 18:03
02-19-2006, 19:57

L. Wolf

View my Gallery

20some miles out and he's looking for a hostel. 1 in 25 chance.

Dances with Mice
08-14-2006, 18:35
focus.remember the thread luke.use the thread.the thread is strong with this one That wasn't bad. In fact it was pretty good.

OK, so who are you and what have you done with our mweinstone?

mweinstone
08-14-2006, 21:24
i remember posting about minnisota smith before the feb 19th start date of this thread. where would they be? just spent an hour looking.im tryin to find my posts about him from before i left on feb 18th.

mweinstone
08-14-2006, 21:39
01-24-2006, 23:38

mweinstone

View my Gallery
Year of thru-hiked: 2006
minnasoda?
im intrested in your approtch to this hike.your a colorful caricterhere on white blaze. you speak your mind and you have too many questions .i like that.you are stuborn but you can learn too.i imagine that if you make the big k youll be a guy who changes the most personality wise. right now your you. and we all like you. but your so you that the future you is having a hard time finding space .do you collect alot. are you a major packrat? if you are now this might change after you hike. id really like to meet you and walk with you for a day in the start and one at the end of your hike. the best of luck to you sir and i like what youve done for the parents.nice very nice.spirits like yours more often than not end up on katadin.matthewski speaks.

mweinstone
08-14-2006, 21:51
somebody attack lone wolf.
ill make the popcorn.

Nean
08-14-2006, 21:52
01-24-2006, 23:38

mweinstone

View my Gallery
Year of thru-hiked: 2006
minnasoda?
im intrested in your approtch to this hike.your a colorful caricterhere on white blaze. you speak your mind and you have too many questions .i like that.you are stuborn but you can learn too.i imagine that if you make the big k youll be a guy who changes the most personality wise. right now your you. and we all like you. but your so you that the future you is having a hard time finding space .do you collect alot. are you a major packrat? if you are now this might change after you hike. id really like to meet you and walk with you for a day in the start and one at the end of your hike. the best of luck to you sir and i like what youve done for the parents.nice very nice.spirits like yours more often than not end up on katadin.matthewski speaks.
This is who I speak of Chief :eek: ! Get help before its to late!!!!!

mweinstone
08-15-2006, 07:04
the city of philadelphia is gloomy and overcast today. you have a nice walk. eat lots of good food and get on down the trail. your doin great.this hike of yours is gettin pritty damn long! thats cool in my book.you got time to make it straight thru. please think about it.

gr8fulyankee
08-15-2006, 11:29
the city of philadelphia is gloomy and overcast today. you have a nice walk. eat lots of good food and get on down the trail. your doin great.this hike of yours is gettin pritty damn long! thats cool in my book.you got time to make it straight thru. please think about it.

I think this is the worst case of a man crush I have ever seen! :eek:

Just Jeff
08-15-2006, 13:54
Man crushes are "non-sexual man love". I'm no longer sure this qualifies.

Dust
08-15-2006, 14:48
Like this?

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/sclubjuniorslyrics/puppylovelyrics.html

:o

saimyoji
08-15-2006, 14:59

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

Perhaps mweinstoned is growing a beard in an attempt to fool MS. :eek:

STEVEM
08-15-2006, 20:58
MS reported in today at 7:00 PM. He is in Pawling, NY and will spend the night at the Pavilion in Myrtle Park. He will pick-up care packages and fan mail tomorrow at the Post Office.

He is out of water and the fountain at the park is broken. He will see in the shower at the beach works, and will walk to town for water tonight if necessary.

Reports passing (3) nice streams near Nuclear Lake, but passed on the water since he had forgotten to include a geiger counter as part of his water treatment kit.

He is still being passed by NOBO hikers. Today he met Crescent City who is hiking to raise funds to replant trees in New Orleans, her website is www.hikeforkatreena.com (http://www.hikeforkatreena.com).

MS had no comment as to her politics. Probably just lack of water.

9 more miles to Connecticut.

mweinstone
08-16-2006, 07:06
or hauling into pawling? if you want work in pawling i hear their hireing at the mill for sawing.were you happy or were you bawling when you came into pawling?your relitives miss you minnisota smith. will you be doing any calling while in pawling?your legs must be tired. i hope you dont do alot of falling while in pawling. whats the bear situation? have there been alot of maulings neer pawling?do they have beavers? did you see any nawings walking into pawling?and by now the girls in pawling must wanna meet you. are they pawling you?thats nice about the girl from new orleans planting trees but i think you should talk to her about walling the city if you see her in pawling.now that your out of the south you wont be hearing folks yall-ing and you- all-ing.not in pawling .

lava
08-16-2006, 11:10
You know, I lurk here 99% of the time, but I laughed so loud at this one that I had to make sure you heard it! :p

If you need wood for a fire, you might do some sawing in pawling too. :banana

Go MS. and thanks matthewski for ensuring that we're continually surprised and amused when we read this thread.

sherrill
08-16-2006, 11:13
I find that post a-pawling.

mingo
08-16-2006, 11:22
i don't know who this minnesota smith fella is but i was hiking up around the priest last weekend and reading the shelter logs and in both the priest and maupin field shelters there were several derogatory comments about mr. smith. he seems to be really making lots of friends on the trail

Lone Wolf
08-16-2006, 11:28
As the Trail Turns. Shelter registers are just friggin gossip columns.They should be treated as trash too.

Creek Dancer
08-16-2006, 11:37
I read similar entries about him in other shelter registers.

Dust
08-16-2006, 12:28
i don't know who this minnesota smith fella is but i was hiking up around the priest last weekend and reading the shelter logs and in both the priest and maupin field shelters there were several derogatory comments about mr. smith.

From all I've heard of MS, he is a gentleman on the trail. Those derogatory remarks are no doubt made by PC weenies who are offended that MS dares think for himself. Just like the numerous remarks on here from PC types warning others that MS has unusual views.

PC weenies, I salute you.

mdionne
08-16-2006, 12:29
I read similar entries about him in other shelter registers.

of course you did...

one only needs to review the MS's posts in the last two years to know he makes quick enemies.

this doesn't surprise me at all on the trail.:rolleyes:

it's fine to post outrageous comments on the web, but on the trail you might show some respect to those you'll likely run into again.

Dust
08-16-2006, 12:33
it's fine to post outrageous comments on the web, but on the trail you might show some respect to those you'll likely run into again.

If expressing one's opinion in being disrespectful, we're in real trouble as a democracy. Those showing disrespect are the PC conformists who trash someone because they disagree with them.

Dances with Mice
08-16-2006, 12:36
Just like the numerous remarks on here from PC types warning others that MS has unusual views.So in your mind "PC" means being truthful? Or are you saying he doesn't have unusual views? Grab one end of that argument and go for it but you can't use both.

mdionne
08-16-2006, 12:47
If expressing one's opinion in being disrespectful, we're in real trouble as a democracy. Those showing disrespect are the PC conformists who trash someone because they disagree with them.

opinion is one thing, fact is another...

i'm talking about common respect not political views. why does a simple stay at a shelter need to turn into a political conflict?

i'm sure it's always the other guy that instigates it with MS as well.:rolleyes:

onefinger, i could care less what your political views are.

Dust
08-16-2006, 13:22
i'm sure it's always the other guy that instigates it with MS as well.

If there is any instigating going on ... you're probably right. PC conformists are very insecure in their views and like to pick arguments.

Mother's Finest
08-16-2006, 13:33
matthewski told me that he thinks MS is in his late twenties or early thirties....

dances, do you have an approximate age for our man?

and MS, if you read this and would like to respond, my curiosity thanks you.

peace
mf

Lone Wolf
08-16-2006, 13:38
he's mid thirties.

Dances with Mice
08-16-2006, 13:54
matthewski told me that he thinks MS is in his late twenties or early thirties....dances, do you have an approximate age for our man? His User Profile gives his age as 44 and I've no reason to doubt that.

D'Artagnan
08-16-2006, 13:56
he's mid thirties.

You're kidding, right? If he's mid-thirties, I'm gonna stop sweating my 36th next month. :D

Mother's Finest
08-16-2006, 15:54
see, when this information was given to me, we had been....how do you say it in america....tipping a few back, getting loaded.....and when the number was thrown out there, the incongruity between the photo I had seen and the number....it made me doubt the sanity of my friend matthewski (actually, i just thought he was pulling my leg)
So, LW says mid thirties, and dances believes in the black and white number.....
peace
mf

mweinstone
08-16-2006, 17:04
the government remote veiwing project used minnisota smith as a warm up target today. they saw him hit town and boogie north with no stopping to chat. the group of thirteen remote veiwers also targeted his intent and reported him to be in a new york state of mind and not about to flip contrary to popular concensis and the hikers own words apon last contact.
in a related attempt by the veiwers , the vegetable bin in lone wolfs fridge was targeted as well as lone wolfs intent. they report the bin to be empty of its usuall beers and belive this is the cause of lone wolfs recent poo poo party.

general
08-16-2006, 17:53
i'm pretty sure L. Wolf keeps a spare beer bin at dot's. not to worry mwienstone. all is well.

Dances with Mice
08-16-2006, 20:50
NBC's America's Got Talent airs tonight, Wednesday, August 16th, 8-10pm on the coasts, 7-9pm Central and Mountain. Some, uh, friends of a friend of MS will be performing on the show tonight. In the 2 hours after the show airs in each time zone a voting window will open. Show your support for MS by calling in to vote for THE PASSING ZONE (http://www.passingzone.com/), aka Jon & Owen.

MS would appreciate it. I'm sure. Trust me.

Lone Wolf
08-16-2006, 20:54
How is voting for unknowns showing support for another unknown?

Dances with Mice
08-16-2006, 20:57
How is voting for unknowns showing support for another unknown?It will all become clear after you vote.

mweinstone
08-16-2006, 20:57
im just askin cause of all the colorful charicters here. ya got me the town idiot. lone wolf the cunning duke. mothers finest is like,.....the town merchant.attrol the traveling judge, .......sly the ladys man,..........minnisota smith the villen,....miss janet the bartender,....and dances with mice the hero.

hang em high!
the good the bad and the ugly?,.........how bout,.........
STAR WARS!!

Lone Wolf
08-16-2006, 20:58
How is voting for unknowns showing support for another unknown?
And why does he need "support" anyway? He's doing nothing extraordinary.

mweinstone
08-16-2006, 21:00
what is that? a second friend?

Dances with Mice
08-16-2006, 21:08
And why does he need "support" anyway? He's doing nothing extraordinary.If you don't vote and MS doesn't finish his hike ... well, you'd have a lot on your conscience then, wouldn't you?

mweinstone
08-16-2006, 21:13
not at all. im fine with my non tv world.imgreat right now!

Lone Wolf
08-16-2006, 21:19
If you don't vote and MS doesn't finish his hike ... well, you'd have a lot on your conscience then, wouldn't you?
If I don't vote on a show I've never seen and a guy I met once who's in his 40s doesn't finish his summer vacation, I'll have a lot on my concience? Pretty fcn unlikely!:D We'll keep sending monthly checks to St. Jude's Hospital where real life drama is happening.

Dances with Mice
08-16-2006, 21:23
If I don't vote on a show I've never seen and a guy I met once who's in his 40s doesn't finish his summer vacation, I'll have a lot on my concience? Pretty fcn unlikely!:D We'll keep sending monthly checks to St. Jude's Hospital where real life drama is happening.Oh. Well, if you're going to take this seriously then you're in the wrong thread.

Lugnut
08-16-2006, 21:42
If I don't vote on a show I've never seen and a guy I met once who's in his 40s doesn't finish his summer vacation, I'll have a lot on my concience? Pretty fcn unlikely!:D We'll keep sending monthly checks to St. Jude's Hospital where real life drama is happening.

Quit pissing on the parade! :D

ed bell
08-16-2006, 21:48
not at all. im fine with my non tv world.imgreat right now!Keep up matt, I think you got entangled in another....aw nevermind.:D

ed bell
08-16-2006, 21:52
And why does he need "support" anyway? If I understand correctly, for pure H2O.:D

mweinstone
08-17-2006, 07:09
hey matthewski. what. whos that hiker you told me about who everyone hated? minnisota smith and they didnt hate him, they loved to hate him. whats the difference? it was a game. they loved to play. how did they play the game? minnisota smith would say something and big political wars would be fought. what would he say? anything. common matthewski ,what? stuff. what kind of stuff ? anything. if he said the sky was blu people would tell him no. why do they play the game? cause its fun to cut up someone who has the values and opinions of your great grandparents. you mean hes old fashoned. yes. like how? he thinks brittny spears is a ho and likes girls to wear dresses. dude! thats fuc*ed up big time! whatever. go to white blaze if you wanna play the game.

Heater
08-17-2006, 07:17
cause its fun to cut up someone who has the values and opinions of your great grandparents. you mean hes old fashoned. yes. like how? he thinks brittny spears is a ho and likes girls to wear dresses. dude! thats fuc*ed up big time! whatever. go to white blaze if you wanna play the game.

The sky is blue
Brittney Spears is a ho.
Girls look nice in dresses.

I guess I am old fashioned. Should I feel insulted? :confused:

Nean
08-17-2006, 08:40
cause its fun to cut up someone who has the values and opinions of your great grandparents.

I think hate is a little over the top and there is no reason to be insulting folks great grandparents.:)

The Old Fhart
08-17-2006, 13:04
Right on Nean!!!

mweinstone
08-17-2006, 16:45
im old fashoned, like dresses and have the opinions of jesus!so im joking when i write things like tat. and its the highest compliment to be old worldly.
so stay tuned,,,,same mat channel, same mat time,,,, for another adventure of,...........matman!

go smithy

mweinstone
08-17-2006, 17:00
i feel like posting,...damit. and i will post. what and when i like. as long as i say minnisota smith i can keep blabbing. minnisota smith. now,.. who feels up to a rational discusion about ,.... um,.......something? okay. how bout this. um,... a,.... lets see,... oh i got it,.... nothin. minnisota smith. hi everybody out there in" you cant touch me" land ! minnisota smith. gotta go ,.. my bath is ready. minnisota smith.

The Old Fhart
08-17-2006, 17:01
mweinstone-"im old fashoned, like dresses.................. "What clothes you choose to wear is your own business. :eek:

TOW
08-17-2006, 17:30
where is minnesota and why is he not posting here anymore?

mweinstone
08-17-2006, 18:36
he quit. its over. what do we talk about now? how about fishing?

Lone Wolf
08-17-2006, 18:54
Fishing? That's boring. How about golf? Now there's excitement! The final major started today. They're off to a roaring start. Did you say minnesotasmith quit? No biggie, most do. Hell you've quit 3 or 4 times yourself, no?

STEVEM
08-17-2006, 18:58
He's in New York State which is full of liberals. Bill Clinton called Al Gore (internet inventor) and they yanked his computer privileges.

mweinstone
08-17-2006, 19:18
hes using an old zen trick i myself also practice. obviously he checked in to find us in the middle of an inane ( again i dont know this word but i like it) argument about nothing. he did what works to make friends stop fighting. go into the woods and get lost and make your friends come together in worry over you.
senario b: pawling had no internet.
senario c :he met a woman and wont let her see him online....cause its nerdy.
senario d :hes been kidnapped and soon we will get a ransom note.
senario e:your best guess?

Lone Wolf
08-17-2006, 19:22
hes using an old zen trick i myself also practice. obviously he checked in to find us in the middle of an inane ( again i dont know this word but i like it) argument about nothing. he did what works to make friends stop fighting. go into the woods and get lost and make your friends come together in worry over you.
senario b: pawling had no internet.
senario c :he met a woman and wont let her see him online....cause its nerdy.
senario d :hes been kidnapped and soon we will get a ransom note.
senario e:your best guess?
My best guess? He found a gay bath house.:D
Just kidding.:) Butt possible.

mweinstone
08-17-2006, 19:37
hence my nickname of old, fatmat.

there once was a boy named luke. who new when to walk and when to poop. he walked all day and walked all day and then he ate chips till he puked.once in a while like a fluke, he heard his name called," luke?". and he"d run to supper for some gloop. but dessert was gloop as well. poor luke. nothing but warm gloop . cold gloop. thick gloop and thin gloop. soon the boy became restless. so he set off in search of some lass. who was quite less than breastless he guessed. till she turned on the trail and staired at his stair ,.. witch was at her breast , none that he"d guessed.then slap whent her hand and fall did the man. to the ground with you sir she said with a flirt. and together they stayed . both hiked in skirt!

Dust
08-17-2006, 19:44
where is minnesota and why is he not posting here anymore?

He's receiving assistance from the Federal Hiker Protection Program.

mdionne
08-17-2006, 20:41

he didn't quit.

he's just driving up the trail and telling strangers to post sightings...:D

mweinstone
08-18-2006, 07:43
hes had a change of heart?

Jack Tarlin
08-18-2006, 14:14
While I'll leave the formal announcement of his plans to Mr. Smith himself, there is an excellent chance we may see him in thse parts very soon.

In any case, quite a few hikers in Hanover departed town in great haste this morning.

I'm not necesarily saying there's a connection here, but it makes one wonder.

It could be a VERY interesting evening in 5-Olde tomorrow night.....

Lone Wolf
08-18-2006, 14:20
IF he shows at the 5-Olde, buy him an adult beverage for me IF he'll drink one. I'll get you back. He wouldn't drink a beer at Dot's. His tastes may be higher class.

StarLyte
08-18-2006, 14:25
Karist all mighty already----he's probably hiking that's why you haven't heard from him.

Ugh, Jack, buy him one on me too----ummmm I'm thinking Courvoisier ????

Hey Lone Wolf - PING written on white leather ring a bell??? OH YEAH-----send ya a sweet picture of it.

Alligator
08-18-2006, 14:27
IF he shows at the 5-Olde, buy him an adult beverage for me IF he'll drink one. I'll get you back. He wouldn't drink a beer at Dot's. His tastes may be higher class.I don't think so LW, I think he just doesn't drink much. I offered to buy him a beer too, and he declined.

Jack Tarlin
08-18-2006, 14:34
Geez, guys, you're sorta jumping the gun here, eh?

What makes you think they'll even let him in, never mind serve him? :D

The Solemates
08-18-2006, 15:28
Geez, guys, you're sorta jumping the gun here, eh?

What makes you think they'll even let him in, never mind serve him? :D

well, it is yuppie new england :D you're probably right.

emerald
08-18-2006, 16:03
Karist all mighty already----he's probably hiking that's why you haven't heard from him.

Did she really say that? I don't think that tops Fiddlehead's post yesterday, but I don't think I've seen anything quite that here previously!

scope
08-18-2006, 16:38
He's in New York State which is full of liberals. Bill Clinton called Al Gore (internet inventor) and they yanked his computer privileges.

My god!! And then Massachusetts!! :eek:

mweinstone
08-18-2006, 16:43
hes not a drinker cause hes hikin and cause minnisota smith drunk and blabbing in small town america could get ugly.espesialy in the north east. one slip about womans rights or gay marrige and somebody could get hurt.comments about iraq or israel could equal two black eyes and say somthing about race and were talkin murder.
lets say minnisota smith throws back a shot and a beer. ten minutes later the cops come. then american civil libertys folks step in and before you can say," woman are 400 times bitchyer than the old days",....hes doin hard time in the big house for drunken and disorderly political surmizing. not to mention his thaughts on the soon fall of the american way of life.
personaly i find minnisota smiths political,racial,economic and social ideas directly in line with my own. im not being lambasted because i never vocalized my feelings. heck, i never thaught much till i talked to minnisota smith. he made me see that there are others who feel as i do that our country is doomed due to bad politics.

Pacific Tortuga
08-18-2006, 16:55
[quote=mweinstone]hes not a drinker cause hes hikin and cause minnisota smith drunk and blabbing in small town america could get ugly.espesialy in the north east. one slip about womans rights or gay marrige and somebody could get hurt.comments about iraq or israel could equal two black eyes and say somthing about race and were talkin murder.
lets say minnisota smith throws back a shot and a beer. ten minutes later the cops come. then american civil libertys folks step in and before you can say," woman are 400 times bitchyer than the old days",....hes doin hard time in the big house for drunken and disorderly political surmizing. not to mention his thaughts on the soon fall of the american way of life.
personaly i find minnisota smiths political,racial,economic and social ideas directly in line with my own. im not being lambasted because i never vocalized my feelings. heck, i never thaught much till i talked to minnisota smith. he made me see that there are others who feel as i do that our country is doomed due to bad politics.[/quot

WOW ! Miss Janet must be a saint to look past such brainless thoughts and feelings towards ??????????? Hell, the world.

The Old Fhart
08-18-2006, 18:05
mweinstone-"..........then american civil libertys folks step in and before you can say," woman are 400 times bitchyer than the old days",....hes doin hard time in the big house for drunken and disorderly political surmizing."Probably not the "big house", Bellview with you in the adjoining padded room is more like it.:D

mweinstone
08-18-2006, 20:13
i was tryin to write a joke but screwed up. its not funny and its just confused enough toweird you out. sorry. all i know is that creativity comes and goes . that time it went .

Sly
08-18-2006, 20:15
If he shows at the 5 Olde make sure they check his ID to see if it's valid! Wouldn't want any more hiker/trailtown establishment problems.

mweinstone
08-18-2006, 20:19
at us......

Just Jeff
08-18-2006, 20:24
...or maybe his world doesn't revolve around WB so he's doing other things...

Dust
08-18-2006, 22:40
maby hes mad at us......
umm ... i think everyone knows the reason why he's stopped posting except for you matthewski.:rolleyes: i also notice he's going straight through Massachussetts at 80 mph without stopping. :eek:

ed bell
08-18-2006, 23:00
On 8-14-2006

BTW. MS did mention that there were people on this thread that were more interested in his journey than he was. I think I am begining to understand his point. ::: Best Ted Knight Voice::: "Wwwwweeeeelllllllll, we're waiting!" I still wish him well. Why anyone would want a message board thread along on a hike is beyond me. Might have some perks that I hadn't considered. Oh well, just my 2 cents. Nothing more.:sun

Heater
08-18-2006, 23:08
BTW. MS did mention that there were people on this thread that were more interested in his journey than he was.

On 8-14-2006 ::: Best Ted Knight Voice::: "Wwwwweeeeelllllllll, we're waiting!"

Matthewski and DWM? :-?

Dances with Mice
08-19-2006, 01:44
...Matthewski and DWM? Patience, possums.

I know if I was Minnesota Smith and I was in that part of the country this time of year I'd be slowed down considerably searching for a pitcher of sweet tea. Iced tea, I shouldn't need to add.

I'm not talking about iced tea that when the waitress brings she then points to the sugar packets on the table and says to sweeten it yourself. That doesn't work. It's not the same. It's not nearly the same. I don't know why people can't understand that sugar isn't soluble in cold water.

And sometimes up north I've ordered iced tea and was told that they couldn't serve it because it's seasonal. SEASONAL?!! That just blows me away. Tea leaves are now fresh fruit? I'll never understand that.

But Minnesota isn't me and he tries to avoid refined sugar so that's probably not the reason for his absence. Today was a busy day for him, there were people to meet and shuttles to catch and supplies to be bought and a place to stay to be found. He'll be here when he can.

In the meantime, anybody want to see some more of his pictures?

Heater
08-19-2006, 01:53
Patience, possums.

I know if I was Minnesota Smith and I was in that part of the country this time of year I'd be slowed down considerably searching for a pitcher of sweet tea. Iced tea, I shouldn't need to add.

I'm not talking about iced tea that when the waitress brings she then points to the sugar packets on the table and says to sweeten it yourself. That doesn't work. It's not the same. It's not nearly the same. I don't know why people can't understand that sugar isn't soluble in cold water.

And sometimes up north I've ordered iced tea and was told that they couldn't serve it because it's seasonal. SEASONAL?!! That just blows me away. Tea leaves are now fresh fruit? I'll never understand that.

But Minnesota isn't me and he tries to avoid refined sugar so that's probably not the reason for his absence. Today was a busy day for him, there were people to meet and shuttles to catch and supplies to be bought and a place to stay to be found. He'll be here when he can.

In the meantime, anybody want to see some more of his pictures?

Uhmmm... noice diversion DWM. :rolleyes:

Almost... ;)

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 06:28
this thread in my humble opinion is a fine thread. im just beginning to realize that sarcasim is mostly but not allways lost when speaking thru computers. this causes certian folks to get mad and rear up on their haunches and disertate. for my part i have tryed to create humer while remaining a cult worshiper of minnisota smith. sorry if thats too much for ya but i was fasinated by him cause hes different. like me. im different. so is lone wolf and sly and the old fart and dances. we all are different. but some of us. like me and minnisota are so far of the charts we come accross weird. witch we are. and as far as why someone would have a thread following there hike. all i know is its fun as crap. do we need more reasons? come join in i say to you sirs and mams. fear not the seemingly rough charicters here on the blaze network. we are all oussy cats. and a better group of trail trash i could not hope to meet in a thousand lifetimes. so lets note the positive and get back to the fun and games and the negetive.what the frig is he doing said matthewski the zelot(dont know what zelots are but i want to be one!)

Lone Wolf
08-19-2006, 06:32
I'm gonna disertate on the golf course in about an hour. I'm an oussy cat. A zelot is a parking area at Walmart.

TOW
08-19-2006, 10:05
He's receiving assistance from the Federal Hiker Protection Program.Another one who stirred up enough crap on the trail to get throwed in there huh?

Just Jeff
08-19-2006, 10:13
In the spirit of keeping it positive, congrats on your most coherent post yet, matthewski - I like it! Not sure how I feel about being called an oussy cat, though... :p

It is pretty fun following his hike...kinda like TrailJournals By Proxy or something. Maybe he has us all duped b/c he's figured out a way to keep a journal without having to do any of the work - convince others to do it. Like a modern day Tom Sawyer painting the fence. "It sure is fun...you wanna keep my journal for me?" Smart.

This is one of the few threads that I always check when it pops up.

Dances with Mice
08-19-2006, 10:53
Uhmmm... noice diversion DWM. Yeah... and speaking of 'no ice': What's up with Ireland?! Largest per capita tea drinkers in the world - even beating out China, right? But if you ask for iced tea there they'll look at you like you just ordered barbecued camel in rattlesnake sauce. I had to settle for Guinness and Smithwick's. I could get iced coffee, though - yuck!

But try to find a bag of ice in a grocery or convenience store - no way! I was getting kinda irate, telling the store clerks "What do you mean there's no ice? Ireland's famous for it's ice! Y'all even have songs about Irish ice (http://www.contemplator.com/midimusic/irisheyecopyright.mid)!" It didn't help.

emerald
08-19-2006, 11:40
A zelot is a parking area at Walmart.

I thought a zealot was where hikers headed for Zealand Falls Hut park? Sort of like Naumaster (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=171582), one of those AMC terms Minnesota Smith may need to know since I'm not expecting him to traverse the Presidentials in a single day, but then he's a man full of surprises.

DWM and LW probably have stealth sites lined up for him. Wonder if he'll use LW's top secret stealth site near Lakes?

Hey, Donkey Love wasn't mooning WhiteBlaze.net while he and Hot Springs were building that cairn, was he? Go here (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=171583) for a pic of the finished cairn and to see who else was involved with that project.

Interesting Just Jeff wondered whether MS duped us into journaling for him while I was handling other business before checking TrailJournals.com links. Maybe MS is smarter than some would have us believe?:-?

Frosty
08-19-2006, 13:18
for my part i have tryed to create humer you have created a lot of humor here. Not always in the way you intended, but that's okay. It's funny anyway.

gr8fulyankee
08-19-2006, 14:44
well, it is yuppie new england :D you're probably right.
Being a yuppie from NE is certainly a better than being an inbred from TN! :D

emerald
08-19-2006, 14:53
... he's going straight through Massachussetts at 80 mph without stopping.:eek:

I thought Sub40 was a pretty good clip! You mean he's just been playing possum with us all this time? Talk about the wind in your hair.[Need an emoticon like this :eek: here with it's hair blowing straight back into your monitor]

Hikers travelling at that rate needn't worry about water and create their own wind much in the same way mountains create their own weather.

... everyone knows the reason why he's stopped posting except for you matthewski.:rolleyes:

Are you suggesting he's already summitted Katahdin and just isn't saying?

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 15:45
Just got here earlier this afternoon after reaching Kent this A.M. Baltimore Jack is showing me around, being quite helpful and continuing as a great friend to other hikers. Am seeing multiple thrus I haven't seen in a while, which is keen.

My PM box is full, so I'll be a bit (later this evening at least, probably) getting it emptied so that I can respond. Thanks for the support, all.

TOW
08-19-2006, 15:48
Just got here earlier this afternoon after reaching Kent this A.M. Baltimore Jack is showing me around, being quite helpful and continuing as a great friend to other hikers. Am seeing multiple thrus I haven't seen in a while, which is keen.

My PM box is full, so I'll be a bit (later this evening at least, probably) getting it emptied so that I can respond. Thanks for the support, all.good to hear from you!

the goat
08-19-2006, 15:53
Just got here earlier this afternoon after reaching Kent this A.M.

:eek: yellow-blazer!!!:eek:

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 16:00
what are we lookin at here. 6+ months cost how much extra compared to a five/and hes lookin to spend how much by the end?if moneys the prob i can help. for the record. if minnisota smith runs out of money and will accept ,i will lay some lettuce on the man. and before you go getting weird on me . im a philanthropist. period. my grandfather and mother were. and i carry on the falmily tradition. i spend every weekend and one day extra a week with the homeless and i can easily afford to add another smith to my list .i dont own things i do things and i want to do this if im needed. period.
now. whos up for putting out an apb on our boy? know anyone in kent who wants the job of snitch? it would have to be someone who can be trusted to be untrustworthy and tell us hes there even if he is in hiding from his fame. or shame . whitchever fits your needs.

mdionne
08-19-2006, 16:03

:D

Oh, this thread's just gettin' started!

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 16:03

I'm doing a flip-flop. I'm heading north from Hanover tomorrow. As soon as I summit the big K, I'm back to doing the Hanover/Kent section. I don't believe I have missed so much as one total mile of the AT so far (a -8 mile distance, roughly, since I started at Amicalola, not jumping ahead like those who start @ Springer) ;) This is a policy I intend to apply to my whole hike.

I'd have preferred to have done a straight shot, but did not plan to get sick twice. This has been discussed before.

Jack Tarlin
08-19-2006, 16:07
apb? There isn't much mystery as to his whereabouts. He's sitting at a computer terminal about thirty feet away from me, typing away furiously.

He's doing just fine; he smells considerably better than he did an hour ago; he's about to go have dinner; and later, we'll turn him loose on the fleshpots of Hanover. The weather's lousy here so he may be around awhile, especially since the washing machine is on the fritz for a day or two.

But no apb necessary. He's fit, healthy, and ready to tackle the Whites.

I'm sure he'll provide the next update himself.

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 16:10
1) The payphone at the convenience store just before Schagitacoke Mtn. (felt like "Shag MinnesotaSmith Mountain" at the time I hiked it yesterday with the humidity) has been removed.

2) Lots of unremoved blowdowns in NY and (so far) CT. Some are rather old.

3) Water @ RPH shelter is only drinkable for preventing imminent dehydration death (it looks like urine with blood in it, even after filtration). Otherwise, a great shelter.

4) Saw lots of NOBOs the last 3-4 days, like around 14. I figure most of them are hauling tail, doing big miles. Some are undoubtedly poor at math or unworried about finishing this year, but those seemed to be in the minority.

5) Going by the shelter registers, there is a (to me) surprising level of friction between NOBOs and SOBOs. I'm still hypothesizing why this would be so.

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 16:14
I saw a front-page article in a newspaper in Kent this A.M. that 2 NOBO thruhikers had had their packs stolen there. Apparently they had hidden their packs near the trailhead when they went into town, and nothing but trekking poles were left when they returned. The police are not optimistic WRT recovery prospects. No trail names were given. They are continuing with donated gear. At least one of the hikers was male, and both were young. I have no other info.

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 16:15
jacks name backwards sounds like
NIL RAT CAGE. so if im to interpret the cryptic messege here,.... it means jacks house is no rat cage. well. thats alot to chew on.

the goat
08-19-2006, 16:22
I'm doing a flip-flop. I'm heading north from Hanover tomorrow. As soon as I summit the big K, I'm back to doing the Hanover/Kent section. I don't believe I have missed so much as one total mile of the AT so far (a -8 mile distance, roughly, since I started at Amicalola, not jumping ahead like those who start @ Springer) ;) This is a policy I intend to apply to my whole hike.

I'd have preferred to have done a straight shot, but did not plan to get sick twice. This has been discussed before.

i'm sure flip-flop is the future plan, but until you finish that section, you're a *gasp* :eek: yellow-blazer!!!!:eek:

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 16:24
jacks name backwards sounds like
NIL RAT CAGE. so if im to interpret the cryptic messege here,.... it means jacks house is no rat cage. well. thats alot to chew on.

I did get the Platypus in Pawling. Thank you for the gracious gift. Like other trail magic, the thought is easily as important as the material.

Your included message made me chuckle, think, and inspired me. As I only typically hope for one of those out of a book I buy, that puts you ahead of most authors IMO. :-? :)

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 16:26
i'm sure flip-flop is the future plan, but until you finish that section, you're a *gasp* :eek: yellow-blazer!!!!:eek:

I'm quite open about what I'm doing, with my reasons well-known. My plans to do that section aren't "some day", but right after I put my hand on the big brown sign.

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 16:29
one had a camera and the other food and a note

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 16:33
one had a camera and the other food and a note

That one was all the clerk brought me. Sounds like I'd better call the P.O. there.

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 16:35
one has two fiftys in it with jerky and chocolate the other has a camera and a return mailer in it.

the goat
08-19-2006, 16:40
I'm quite open about what I'm doing, with my reasons well-known. My plans to do that section aren't "some day", but right after I put my hand on the big brown sign.

i know, i'm just giving you a hard time, man. enjoy nh & maine, they're my favorite parts of the trail.

Dances with Mice
08-19-2006, 16:56
Now we need an ETA for Mt Washington (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/index.php). Check the location of the webcam, stand in front of it & wave.

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 16:58
the parcels were sent regular mail. can you have them forwarded. the post office assured me they would get there quick enough to reach you. oh well. they all say return to sender after 30 days but i just wrote that not knowing if its possible. im sorry you missed them. and if you dont have the time or energy to track them down tell me if i can help.maby they will make allowences since its a trail post office.its pritty exciting that your going up ahead. im hoping you may catch some of your friends that passed you .very cool dedication to the thru minnisota smith. very cool.

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 17:17
hes out eating.

this could take some time.the man just lost 51+ lbs.

SGT Rock
08-19-2006, 17:26
Keep moving MS. I'm pulling for you.

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 19:06
hes out eating.

this could take some time.the man just lost 51+ lbs.

True words. :D

I consumed many plates of their meat-rich AYCE salad bar. My cousin (who is going to hike with me for a couple of days here) is en route and will be here shortly.

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 19:29
slow our man down and you answer to us.are we clear?

Cheesewhiz
08-19-2006, 19:29
The two hikers with the two stolen packs were 48 leaves and chunk

minnesotasmith
08-19-2006, 19:38
slow our man down and you answer to us.are we clear?

I called and spoke with him on his cellphone a few minutes ago, and told him how it was supposed to rain heavily here tomorrow. When I said to him that I was prepared to hike in those conditions (having done so plenty of times before on this thru- attempt), he assured me that he was willing to do so as well.

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 19:56
the phils just scored 8 runs in the second inning. care? hey minnisota ,check out all the people we started with who finnished on the apropriate thread. pa bert finnished.he was at bluberry patch. and the dreamer and lots of others. are you keeping up on the finnishers?

The Solemates
08-21-2006, 10:01
Being a yuppie from NE is certainly a better than being an inbred from TN! :D

Hey, she told me she was my third cousin. Little did I know she was my aunt!

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 10:13
Old Fhart -- we're going to need a wooden stake for this one too by the end of the year.

The Old Fhart
08-21-2006, 11:43
StarLyte-"Old Fhart -- we're going to need a wooden stake for this one too by the end of the year."Just like in the horror movies, no matter how many time you try to kill it, it keeps coming back!;) Watch out for the sequel !!

general
08-21-2006, 18:28
keep with the meat. eat some more of it, and then eat some more of it after that. drink some beer. it's good for your brain and has lots of complex carbohydrates.

mweinstone
08-21-2006, 18:41
organ meats!mmmmm....musical meat...minnisota smith like organ.

Dances with Mice
08-21-2006, 19:02
organ meats!mmmmm....musical meat...minnisota smith like organ.I've edited this reply.

mweinstone
08-21-2006, 19:10
according to my brain our man went ahead about 130 miles and is gonna hike nort about 600 miles and come back and hike north the part he skips. so if thays about right then he really gave himself about 10 days of his speed hiking ahead, or he set the calander back about 10 days witch is really what hes trying to do isnt it? he wants to enlarge the window of katahdin doability? right?

mweinstone
08-21-2006, 19:12
liverwurst and the like? homer simpson as played by minnisota smith? no? i got nothin.

Just Jeff
08-21-2006, 20:24
I've edited this reply.

HAHAHA - but I bet I can figure out what you said! 'Cause I was thinking the same thing... :D

Dust
08-21-2006, 20:42
organ meats!mmmmm....musical meat...minnisota smith like organ.

where does reality end and fantasy begin in this guy's ravings?

Nean
08-21-2006, 21:15
where does reality end and fantasy begin in this guy's ravings?

THAT :confused: is something I would rather not :-? about! :D ............:eek:

ed bell
08-21-2006, 21:20
where does reality end and fantasy begin in this guy's ravings? If you think you are confused now then you won't ever get it sorted out.:D Kinda like this thread, if someone wasn't around for MS's hike preparation and all the other banter then they would wonder what all the fuss was about. Hell, I was around for all that and I'm wondering why I'm typing right now.:)

minnesotasmith
08-21-2006, 21:44
Got as far as the road that's about 18 miles out, Lyme-Dorchester Road. Tomorrow I intend to do a big day, getting over Cube Mtn. Iron Wolf, a thruhiker here, told me it is a bear.

Didn't see any other thrus today.

As an aside, there were no registers in the 1st two trail shelters. Only when I got to the third one was there one there, finally.

minnesotasmith
08-21-2006, 21:49
1) No, I haven't had much chance to keep up on who has finished. Good for those who have.

2) I try to eat some beef liver every once in a while due to the trace nutrients it has. I had 2 pounds of it in Vernon.

3) Beer's non-ethanol carbos are primarily maltose (a low-sweetness disaccharide consisting of 2 glucoses) if memory serves. Whole-wheat bread is better for you, sorry. :D

mweinstone
08-22-2006, 07:34
good evening mr felps.your mission jim is to reach katahdin and to never look back. this tape will self destruct in 5 seconds.as allways , if you are caught by the enemy(oct15) the president will disavowel any knowlage of you or your mission. good luck jim.

STEVEM
08-22-2006, 08:23
1) No, I haven't had much chance to keep up on who has finished. Good for those who have.

2) I try to eat some beef liver every once in a while due to the trace nutrients it has. I had 2 pounds of it in Vernon.

3) Beer's non-ethanol carbos are primarily maltose (a low-sweetness disaccharide consisting of 2 glucoses) if memory serves. Whole-wheat bread is better for you, sorry. :D

What MS fails to tell us is that he boiled the 2 Lbs. of liver with a pound of broccoli in the kitchen at the church hostel. Must have really stunk up the place.

That was when the caretaker suggested that he should consider moving on up the trail. Better than tar and feathers.

MS is right. Liver did put him back on the trail.

the goat
08-22-2006, 08:51
What MS fails to tell us is that he boiled the 2 Lbs. of liver with a pound of broccoli in the kitchen at the church hostel. Must have really stunk up the place.

That was when the caretaker suggested that he should consider moving on up the trail. Better than tar and feathers.

MS is right. Liver did put him back on the trail.

i thought there was another side to that story!:D

Skyline
08-22-2006, 09:57
good evening mr felps.your mission jim is to reach katahdin and to never look back. this tape will self destruct in 5 seconds.as allways , if you are caught by the enemy(oct15) the president will disavowel any knowlage of you or your mission. good luck jim.

Hmmm. To dis a vowel: Probably would hurt a vowel's feelings. Let's ask Vanna White about it.

Ender
08-22-2006, 10:01
...will disavowel any knowlage

Disavowel? Isn't that what you're doing already? Spellcheck... use it.

mweinstone
08-23-2006, 06:53
minnisota smith called to chat at 640 am this morn.hes done hiking with cousin smith who by the way cant belive how minnisota can out hike him as cousin is not in bad shape. minnisota smith called the post office to have stuff forwarded. hes picking up his winter gear next mail stop. hes in high spirits and wants to put the hardest part of the trail behind him. hes got fruit and watching his electrolights and sounds like he did on the phone from georgia to his family,,...all psyked up! and he is thankfull for the good times to be had on white blaze. his favorite posts are the doubters posts.hes really excited about the whites and maine. really.he popped a rivit on his pack . he misses home and having creature comforts and vidio games says he.if we want to support him with a note or a cookie, gorham is the next stop we have time to send to. im thinking of sending an email around and then printing it and sending it. it could just be your best wishes and trail name. more on that when i get home from work. i told minnisota smith sometimes i try to see the trail through his eyes while im stuck at work.

Sly
08-23-2006, 10:20
hes in high spirits and wants to put the hardest part of the trail behind him. ,...all psyked up! and he is thankfull for the good times to be had on white blaze. his favorite posts are the doubters posts.hes really excited about the whites and maine.

he's really excited and all psyked up to get his azz kicked? the whites and mahoosucs will do that.

mweinstone
08-23-2006, 16:19
beware the dark side luke..matthewski

anyone who puts a post on this thread titled letter of encouragment, i will copy and paste them all together the 26th of august and make a card and stick it in a care package to gorham. please put your trailname with the message part of the post.

Dances with Mice
08-23-2006, 19:06
Photo by SteveM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/MSKENTCT8-19-06.jpg

Skidsteer
08-23-2006, 19:43
Truman Capote reading a story to a backpack...and the pack looks thoroughly engrossed in the narrative.

Keep on hikin' MS. ;)

Dances with Mice
08-23-2006, 19:58
There's something really satisfying and peaceful about .... ... knowing he's not wearing a kilt.

Dust
08-23-2006, 20:01
This guy has got to be the most famous thru-hiker in history, while on the trail. I smell a book deal coming, then a movie with contemporaneous footage shot while he's summiting K.

Dances with Mice
08-23-2006, 20:09
This guy has got to be the most famous thru-hiker in history...That's a good topic for another thread. Just off the top of my head, my vote for MFTHIH would be Ed Garvey.

Don't worry - if you say "Who?" it says more about thru-hikers than it does about Mr Garvey.

Pacific Tortuga
08-23-2006, 20:13
The Handbook Sotas reading looks pretty beat up, I hope its not a cheap advertising ploy or trying to stir the WF pot. :-?

Dances with Mice
08-23-2006, 20:25
The Handbook Sotas reading looks pretty beat up, I hope its not a cheap advertising ploy or trying to stir the WF pot. :-?You've got very sharp eyes.

Two thirds of the way through the Trail, 2/3 of the way through the book.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/Minnesota%20Smith%20Photos/bookdetail.jpg

ed bell
08-23-2006, 21:40
He needs to leave a little room on the bench for the ladies.:cool:

Sly
08-23-2006, 23:11
Is minnisota smith carrying Baltimore Jack's pack?

mweinstone
08-24-2006, 08:23
minnisota smith looks thinner and more comfortable with himself.

mweinstone
08-24-2006, 18:33
i thaught about the suggestions about a book. minnisota smith is the only one who could write it. and it could never be about his hike. it must be about the appalachian trail as seen thru the eyes of minnisota smith.with all the political comments and social insights minnisota smith can muster. now that would be a controversial book! hostel owners would be first to write letters to the author. followed by angry hikers and finnaly their would be wolfs slander suit.not to mention the ultimate writers blessing,...book burnings! and all that would be left after everyone was good and mad ,.... book bannings!

The Old Fhart
08-24-2006, 18:42
mweinstone-"not to mention the ultimate writers blessing,...book burnings!"I think in this case you mean "reader's blessing". BTW, you might want to keep the only copy of the book printed!:D

mweinstone
08-24-2006, 19:26
if there was a book by him .

ed bell
08-24-2006, 19:39
if there was a book by him .He already wrote one, just paste all his posts on the website together.:D

Teatime
08-25-2006, 04:55
After reading his political/social views, I can't believe he's using Wingnuts book! MS, you aren't turning Benedict Arnold on us Conservatives, are you?

max patch
08-25-2006, 06:48
[QUOTE=Teatime]After reading his political/social views, I can't believe he's using Wingnuts book! [QUOTE]

I always get a kick out of the people who use WF's forums but feel the need to bash him here and on other sites.

mweinstone
08-25-2006, 07:48
dont start lambasting wingfoot here. this is a positive thread in support of a fat ,slow, weird witted hiker.kidding, kidding.