PDA

View Full Version : MinnesotaSmith Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

StarLyte
09-15-2006, 08:34
DRIED SQUID?

Well, I guess I better up the quality of the cognac then.

ed bell
09-15-2006, 09:00
Double filtered water sounds fancy.:D

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 09:01
Double filtered water sounds fancy.:D
More paranoia than fancy.

the goat
09-15-2006, 09:28
More paranoia than fancy.

maybe he filters twice to make up for those who don't filter at all.:-? :D

STEVEM
09-15-2006, 09:32
DRIED SQUID?

Well, I guess I better up the quality of the cognac then.

I heard the Aussies were air freighting a big box of fresh stingray tails and Fosters.

DawnTreader
09-15-2006, 11:29
MS looks like the Mothman without wings

Topcat
09-15-2006, 11:33
filters his water twice and still got sick.....

Darwin again
09-15-2006, 12:02
filters his water twice and still got sick.....

Some people are more susceptible to water-borne bugs than others.

celt
09-15-2006, 16:33
If this thread were hiking it'd be past Andover, ME while MS is probably stuck in Mahoosuc Notch or trudging up the Arm!

Close. Maybe. I met various NoBos at Full Goose Shelter 9/14 & 15 and they last saw MS in Gorham. Judging from their descriptions of the man, the Notch will probably kill him, or a least make him complain non-stop for years to come.

Sly
09-15-2006, 16:55
Close. Maybe. I met various NoBos at Full Goose Shelter 9/14 & 15 and they last saw MS in Gorham. Judging from their descriptions of the man, the Notch will probably kill him, or a least make him complain non-stop for years to come.

Haunted by and renamed the MinniMahoosuc Notch...

Perhaps he made it through and fell hopelessly in love with a fabulously fit and young AMC caretaker at Speck Pond and is procreating as we speak! :p

mweinstone
09-15-2006, 16:56
minnisota smith likes to wake late and leave the shelter late. thats his routine. he pulls into camp at night and goes into his water filtering thing. first he treats then he double filters. thats his routine. next he likes to talk when he really could be making supper. thats what he could be doing. its his routine to not do .now ,..he eats around dark as folks are slowing down and talking in bags. this is how minnisota smith does it. its the right way for him. it works for him. and yes,.. as krazy as this may be to some,.. he likes foods others dont. thats cause hes him not them or us , or we.......its his way, his hike , his idea of good fun meaningful hiking. not yours or mine. not theirs or them. not joes or sams. now,.. a word about my mom. my mom was the greatest mom on earth. better than your mom i say. my mom never ate in front of others. she nibbled,... but could never chow down big unless she was alone. and she ate the strangest foods like blue cheese and capers and chives and chutney and other cheeses and nuts ,... all mixed up in a bowl. when i suprised her in the kitchen pigging out,.. she would hear me coming and throw her food in a drawer and stand in front of the drawer and swollow and wipe real quick so as not to look like she was eating. and my dad allways scolded her at dinner for not eating. so my point is that our close friend and brother mr lucas is a little like all fat , or in his case xfat people. they dont wanna pig out with us. we should be alot more understanding about the fact that food carries the same problems as drugs do into our lives. and we should aplaude lucas for being so cool and super intelectual . part of the reason he filters and talks and seemingly does everything except eat relax and crash like the rest of us is because hes waiting to eat . when prying eyes and nosey noses are sleeping. so lets rejoice in our mixed up and different world and celebrate even or differences that some say are weekneses. the guys who acomplish big tough feats in life arent all perfect. real champions come mostly from the wrong side of the tracks ,..carryin scars and deep wounds. i know i pull my streangths from my anger over my failings. this is life.he is using his ability to overcome sadnesses to power this wonderfull hike and life trip.and he will be all the better for it. i assume minnisota smith to be a forward positive and good hearted person based on what i see.

mweinstone
09-15-2006, 17:02
in hind sight , that post is 2020

max patch
09-15-2006, 18:21
Perhaps he made it through and fell hopelessly in love with a fabulously fit and young AMC caretaker at Speck Pond and is procreating as we speak! :p

I'm sure he and his palm will be very happy together.

Heater
09-15-2006, 18:33

He'll be the happy father of skinny quintuplets, I'm sure. :D

The Old Fhart
09-15-2006, 19:24
Sly-"Perhaps he made it through and fell hopelessly in love with a fabulously fit and young AMC caretaker at Speck Pond and is procreating as we speak!"I don't know the caretaker but I suspect he already has a girlfriend.:p

Heater
09-15-2006, 19:52

I heard that in some states, they are actually permitting the marriage of man and palm in holy matrimony!

that calls for... :banana :banana :banana :banana

Darwin again
09-15-2006, 19:56
I see the highest content standards of The Thread are being upheld.

Now it's down to master-debating. (I expect the Old Flatus to pipe up on this subject forthwith, but since he's ignored, I happily won't see it. Jack on, McDuff!)

:cool:

The Old Fhart
09-15-2006, 20:42
Darwin Again-"(I expect the Old Flatus to pipe up on this subject forthwith, but since he's ignored, I happily won't see it. Jack on, McDuff!)"Please, please let me know when you're going to start ignoring me because you aint doing it yet!:D

Heater
09-15-2006, 20:59
I see the highest content standards of The Thread are being upheld.

Now it's down to master-debating. (I expect the Old Flatus to pipe up on this subject forthwith, but since he's ignored, I happily won't see it. Jack on, McDuff!)

:cool:

Oh! I am SO happy you approve. :rolleyes: (slash away, Rice)

totally Boagus
09-15-2006, 21:15
Does anyone Know where Mr. Bunker, ah, MS is tonight?

The Old Fhart
09-15-2006, 22:00
totally Boagus-"Does anyone Know where Mr. Bunker, ah, MS is tonight?"Looks like the best guess comes from Celt in post #2018. He talked to hikers at Full Goose shelter on the 14/15(today) and they had last seen MS in Gorham (~20 miles back) so, as a guess, he might be at or near Full Goose tonight. He arrived in Gorham on the 11th, I believe, so assuming he took a zero it has taken him 4 days to do those 20 miles. He had been averaging about 6 MPD thru NH so where this is a rough section, in spite of what his advisors have told him, that could be right. We won't know for sure until he checks in from Andover.

Darwin again
09-16-2006, 00:49
Just like clockwork, the usual suspects let ooze their polypitized anal discharges... But if you don't read them, they cease to exist. How cool is that?

So where's Schmitty?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

mweinstone
09-16-2006, 01:04
cheezwiz was in andover thursday. cheezwiz passed our boy on the day our boy was zeroing in gorham.these are the facts as we know them.if we only knew cheesawiz's daily milage we could guess where minnisota is. this has been a quin martin production. any resemblence to eferim zimbalist jr, is purly coincidental. now back to your regularly schedualed program, mutual of ohmahal allready in progress.

The Old Fhart
09-16-2006, 08:13
Darwin Again-"Just like clockwork, the usual suspects let ooze their polypitized anal discharges... But if you don't read them, they cease to exist."I just wish I could be this funny! If I'm on your ignore list, why do you comment on all my posts?:-? Isn't DA's byline something like:

Old Flatus do not cease to exist because they are ignored. ~~ Aldous Huxley:D

celt
09-16-2006, 09:05
Haunted by and renamed the MinniMahoosuc Notch...

Wow! Next time I see Huff I'll tell him he has a secret admirer on WB. But alas Huff is now too a NoBo. The Speck CT was moved out for the season last week and on Tuesday I dropped off Huff at the Success trailhead to begin his own hike to Katahdin. He did say he plans to hike slow, there is still hope for a Huff/MS union. Unless Sly decides to chase after him first. ;)

celt
09-16-2006, 09:19
Looks like the best guess comes from Celt in post #2018. He talked to hikers at Full Goose shelter on the 14/15(today) and they had last seen MS in Gorham (~20 miles back) so, as a guess, he might be at or near Full Goose tonight. He arrived in Gorham on the 11th, I believe, so assuming he took a zero it has taken him 4 days to do those 20 miles. He had been averaging about 6 MPD thru NH so where this is a rough section, in spite of what his advisors have told him, that could be right. We won't know for sure until he checks in from Andover.

Yes, he was seen in Gorham Wednesday morning 9/13. He also was at Imp Saturday night 9/9. MS's hiking style reminds me of Wyoming Skateboarder, a thru hiker who hiked from Feb. '99 to Jan '00:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=1929

MOWGLI
09-16-2006, 09:23
SLy, as I recall the lovely (and pleasant) caretaker was at Horns Pond Lean-To. At least in 2000 - and a few years afterwards.

On another note - anyone care to guess how many hours it takes our boy to get the Mahoosuc Notch? My guess is 4.5 hours.

Mr. Clean
09-16-2006, 09:42
Gorham on the 13th would put him in Mahoosuc notch AS I TYPE THIS. Then the Arm...Oh, no, I hope someone got a pic of him at the Maine sign!

I can't believe I've actually read this entire thread....

Lone Wolf
09-16-2006, 09:45
SLy, as I recall the lovely (and pleasant) caretaker was at Horns Pond Lean-To. At least in 2000 - and a few years afterwards.

On another note - anyone care to guess how many hours it takes our boy to get the Mahoosuc Notch? My guess is 4.5 hours.
Last time I did the notch it took me 40 minutes with a frame pack. I'm a stud.

MOWGLI
09-16-2006, 09:48
I'm a stud.

...or a muffin. ;)

jlb2012
09-16-2006, 09:52
definately a scone

Lone Wolf
09-16-2006, 09:53
A fluffy croissant.

jlb2012
09-16-2006, 09:59
reminds me of one of SGT Rock's sons telling me how a teacher got tired of students reacting to the use of the word fart and tried to require the use of the word fluffy instead of the word fart

STEVEM
09-16-2006, 10:04
I think I'll go cover the pool then walk a few miles on the Long Path. Dunkin Donuts first. What a waste on totally good server space.

Heater
09-16-2006, 10:04
A fluffy croissant.

Se what those fo-fo coffeshops do to a person! :D

Tin Man
09-16-2006, 10:09
reminds me of one of SGT Rock's sons telling me how a teacher got tired of students reacting to the use of the word fart and tried to require the use of the word fluffy instead of the word fart

fluffy??? piggy works for my kids...uh, well that's they word they use...their mother doesn't care much for any term that describes a natural function that, according to her, should not be shared at all...hard to play the game unless you share though. :rolleyes:

I emailed the fart baseball thread to my brother, who happened to be in a serious meeting and in a moment of boredom he made the mistake of opening it on his treo. Apparently, he turned beet red when everyone stared at him when he fell on the floor in a serious belly laughing fit. Now I fear our upcoming section hike is going to involve more than talking about the MLB playoffs. :eek:

MOWGLI
09-16-2006, 11:03
A fluffy croissant.

Polly view Francais?

mweinstone
09-16-2006, 13:50
they have the same eyeglass prescription. they have the same look, they have the same detracters, they have the same weird staff/ paddle. would the chair recognize the members call for paternity tests to determine witch is the father of the jersy devil?

Dances with Mice
09-16-2006, 14:08
I headed out to pick some okra and tomatoes for supper but there was a visitor in the garden... center of the photo. He had the drop on me, I couldn't get to the boomerang I keep loaded for self-defense (right hand side of photo)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/home-and-garden/hawk-sep15-4.jpg

He was guarding the okra patch (the tall plants on either side of him). He stared me down.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/home-and-garden/hawk-sep15-2.jpg

Then he picked a nice, plump garden-fresh mouse.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/home-and-garden/hawk-sep15-8.jpg

And stayed there all evening enjoying his supper.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/raystern/home-and-garden/hawk-sep15-6.jpg

MOWGLI
09-16-2006, 14:55
DWM, although you didn't realize it at the time, you have photographed a very rare bird. That is the elusive Red Headed Double Breasted Mattress Thrasher.

TOW
09-16-2006, 15:40
I heard that in some states, they are actually permitting the marriage of man and palm in holy matrimony!

that calls for... :banana :banana :banana :banana

I'm already married to mine......................

STEVEM
09-16-2006, 18:42
DWM, Did that hawk happen to leave the mouse liver? Send it to MS along with some okra.

Topcat
09-16-2006, 18:50
DWM, those are some awesome pics...

mweinstone
09-16-2006, 22:15
andover's in for a treat. tommorow anyone? i say tommorow or monday

Sly
09-16-2006, 22:24
andover's in for a treat. tommorow anyone? i say tommorow or monday

Since no one has heard from him north of Gorham, he probably quit and went home. Too bad he was doing so well. :(

mweinstone
09-16-2006, 22:33
do you mean that? or are you joking?

Sly
09-16-2006, 22:44
Sure, why not? It wouldn't be the 1st time someone quit. If we don't hear about him in three days, it's probably time to close this thread!

Nean
09-16-2006, 23:05
Sure, why not? It wouldn't be the 1st time someone quit. If we don't hear about him in three days, it's probably time to close this thread!

I think he probably spent extra time in Gorham. From my view, MS seemed to like the towns better than the trail.
Maybe he wasn't able :-?
or thought better :eek:
to check in here w/ us!? :rolleyes:

Could he be on his way to the Big K and heading south? Is he that smart?:D

The Old Fhart
09-16-2006, 23:16
Sly-"Since no one has heard from him north of Gorham, he probably quit and went home. Too bad he was doing so well.:( "mweinstone reported MS arrived in Gorham on the morning of the 11th. Celt said he was seen there on the morning of the 13th. Taking at least 2 zero days when time is running out certainly doesn't sound good.

However, people ahead of MS on the trail would not know how he is doing or where he is, and no one has said whether he left Gorham or not. Until he arrives in Andover and reports, or someone in Gorham can give us some info on MS's whereabouts, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

mweinstone
09-16-2006, 23:17
i think he is in andover or going there tommorow after a long slow hike.

Nean
09-16-2006, 23:42
We were lucky enough to live a few miles from Grafton notch a few winters back.:) Someday my friend Luke (Gravity Flow) may start a hostel there.;)
That stretch of trail is beautiful, but rugged. :p
Welcome to Maine MS!:welcome

STEVEM
09-17-2006, 00:16
Minnesota, you have got to get moving. Do you need a ride to K to flip?

When you howled at the dogs in GA.
..................No Problem, plenty of time.

When you bored the boars in TN.

When you debated the jays in VA.

When you scolded the rocks in PA.

When you made yucks with the yups in the huts in NH.
..................No Problem, still got some time.

Now you count squirrel nuts in ME.?
..................Big Problem, no more time.

If you need help just ask. everyone wants you to finish. Let God worry about the squirrels and their nuts.

Cheesewhiz
09-17-2006, 00:57
*NOT CHEEZEWHIZ*(he was allready logged on and i didnt feel like logging off then back on)

well...ive been in andover for 3 days and havent seen him since gorham...hes gotta be around here somewhere though...i hope he did well through the notch!

-Sizzle

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 08:49
dear god where is he!

MOWGLI
09-17-2006, 10:11
dear god where is he!

He's probably somewhere between Gorham and Andover wondering what he's gotten himself into. To me - that's about as tough as the AT gets.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2006, 10:34
He's probably somewhere between Gorham and Andover wondering what he's gotten himself into. To me - that's about as tough as the AT gets.
He's got 28 days and approx. 250 miles to be at Katahdin till logistics get tough. Willie Makeit? Betty Wont.:D Not without flipping.

MOWGLI
09-17-2006, 10:39
He's got 28 days and approx. 250 miles to be at Katahdin till logistics get tough.

Plus Kent, CT to Hanover, NH - which he skipped.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2006, 10:44
Plus Kent, CT to Hanover, NH - which he skipped.
Which is another 230 miles. Wow. he still has a s**tload of miles to do. Snow will be flying soon.

Nean
09-17-2006, 10:55
Which is another 230 miles. Wow. he still has a s**tload of miles to do. Snow will be flying soon.

Minnesota Smith. This years Bill Bryson? :D

Nean
09-17-2006, 10:55

Minnesota Smith. This years Bill Bryson? :D

Dances with Mice
09-17-2006, 11:30
Snow will be flying soon.Not a problem. We're not talking about Mississippi Smith here.

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 12:34
who wants odds? taking all bets for or against.

Topcat
09-17-2006, 12:43
MS has said he is a 4 season backpacker before, so i am sure he will be fine. To do that last 5 miles though is going to require some compromise on his part and a flip up there.

As much as i dislike his politics, comments, opinions, online personality and style, i still want him to meet his goals and hope that he makes it. Its his hike and i wish him well.

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 13:29
whatever he does it will be his hike. all we care about is completion. we need him to be a thru hiker. otherwise he cannot be used in conversation. there was a guy who never finnished.... dosnt sound good. this thru hiker i know ......sounds good. one thru hiker said....... a thru hiker named minni...thru hikers like m........ these are sentences we need to use in the future. dont deni yourself these pleasures by nay saying now. if he makes it he will have quite a different story to tell than most. the story of strangers who followed his every wipe.and how his t.p. was sold on e bay.and how the class of 06 was the year minnisota smith hiked might be a nice reference.and how his pack contained raw liver at all times.

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 14:24
minisota smith quit today. no further information is available about the hiker named mud.

MOWGLI
09-17-2006, 14:36
minisota smith quit today.

Time to padlock the thread?

saimyoji
09-17-2006, 14:41
minisota smith quit today. no further information is available about the hiker named mud.

Don't believe this till we have a better source with proof. Keep going MS, some of us still believe in you. Beard or not. :D

emerald
09-17-2006, 14:43
I need to hear that from a more reliable source too!

RaggeDoc
09-17-2006, 15:06
Please no,please no. It's all my fault. I lurked daily for months. I've taken maybe 8 weeks off, and come back to find this ? Say it ain't so! He's my hope for the future, my example that I could do this too. It got hot down here in Alabama and I lost interest in even being outside.DAMN,it's my fault. Where was I to support him? Where was I to cheer him on? He is (was) hope for fatboys everywhere. I don't suppose any equipment companies make a backpack strap that could lift up my sick and sagging heart.

Dances with Mice
09-17-2006, 15:12
MS's hike isn't over until he says its over.

And The Thread welcomes RaggeDoc as he passes through The Gateway to Whiteblaze.

Darwin again
09-17-2006, 15:51
MS might already be hard at work on other projects (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/17/INGEJL45D11.DTL):
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/17/INGEJL45D11.DTL

Topcat
09-17-2006, 16:26
MS might already be hard at work on other projects (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/17/INGEJL45D11.DTL):
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/17/INGEJL45D11.DTL

he would have to find a willing partner first.....;)

Trillium
09-17-2006, 17:09
he would have to find a willing partner first.....;)the chances of that are pretty slim to none and slim just left the trail.

Topcat
09-17-2006, 17:22
the chances of that are pretty slim to none and slim just left the trail. and none wont wear a dress.....:banana

Nean
09-17-2006, 18:23
the chances of that are pretty slim to none and slim just left the trail.

If Ms does tuck tail, I hope somebody takes mweinstones shoelaces from him.....:eek:

:D

bfitz
09-17-2006, 18:28
he would have to find a willing partner first.....;)
Aren't you more likely to be a liberal if you have conservative parents?

Topcat
09-17-2006, 18:58
Depends on how much of a rebel you are. Some kids ( like I was) are just contrary of whatever and others are lemmings who do whatever mommy and daddy believe.

I figured out later in life that Dad wasnt always wrong and i aint always right. (just most of the time....:-) )

Skidsteer
09-17-2006, 19:18
If Ms does tuck tail, I hope somebody takes mweinstones shoelaces from him.....:eek:

Funniest post of the day so far. :D

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 19:56
well that didnt get the response i exspected.

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 19:58
ms not quitted. ha!ha!( in nelsons voice)

Heater
09-17-2006, 20:10
ms not quitted. ha!ha!( in nelsons voice)

I think the Eagles need more like MS on their team. :cool:

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 20:25
message from hoth,reble base under attack,prince skywalker missing, princess with landau calrisien, help .

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 20:29
20some miles out and he's looking for a hostel. 1 in 25 chance.

lone wolf may have called it

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 20:35
all minnisotas bags are packed, hes ready to go , he standin there outside the door of the bus station, allready hes so lonesom he could cry yi yi y i yi,. cause hes leavin , on a jet plane,.. who knows if he'llbe back again,... leavin , on a jet plane,...this thread has be, come insane, leavin on a jet plane,..were bored and being dumb again,.....allready were so ,bla bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla , bla bla bla bla bla.

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 20:41
if he quit is our topic tonight folks. welcome to open fourem. we'll be discussing all the what ifs tonight. and shall we take our first caller? matt from philly go ahead your live on ms update.....

hi thanks for taking my call. im wondering if people will respect minnisota smith in the morning.

i think our caller means if he quits tonight. is that right caller?

yes.

StarLyte
09-17-2006, 20:44
Poor Matthewski.

Try not to take it so hard.

Solace (http://www.glenbeigh.com/) and comfort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaalude) could be yours, just a click (http://www.littledebbie.com/recipes/DessertIntro.asp) away........

and you have all of us here (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Trail-Days-2006/HPIM3834) too......

better yet....try and make it to the Gathering....you never know....MS (http://gallery.backcountry.net/album69/HPIM4801) could flip, come to the Gathering then return.......

mweinstone
09-17-2006, 20:52
starlyte your pritty funney. for someone who wasnt born on this planet.

StarLyte
09-17-2006, 20:56
starlyte your pritty funney. for someone who wasnt born on this planet.

Hey I'm serious Matthewski, I care about how you feel.

All jokes aside.

how did u know I wasn't from this planet?

Lugnut
09-17-2006, 22:02
Matthewski reminds me of White Blaze's illustrious founder, Dave "Easyhiker" Beeman, except he's not as profane or politically incorrect. However, he's very entertaining and, I think, a lot smarter than he seems. His obsession with, and loyalty to, Minnesota Smith has become legendary. Mr. Weinstone, we salute you! :banana

Trillium
09-17-2006, 23:22
and you have all of us here (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Trail-Days-2006/HPIM3834) too......

better yet....try and make it to the Gathering....you never know....MS (http://gallery.backcountry.net/album69/HPIM4801) could flip, come to the Gathering then return.......those are awesome photos StarLyte; thanks for posting links. I need to hit the lottery or fast forward a number of yrs so I can retire and get out on that trail!!!

Sly
09-17-2006, 23:28
Name the people in here the photo!

I see myself, Tricks, Wonderfoot, AT Troll, Camo Jack and a couple others I can't remember their names...

Nean
09-18-2006, 00:04
His obsession with, and loyalty to, Minnesota Smith has become legendary. Mr. Weinstone, we salute you! :banana

MS would be NOTHING w/o the mweinstone! :p
This thread would of never been so much fun w/o the mweinstone.:o
I hope MS hasn't packed it in ...yet. It really doesn't matter how many miles you walk anyways; it is how much you live, laugh, love, learn along the way!;)

The Old Fhart
09-18-2006, 00:17
Nean-"I hope MS hasn't packed it in ...yet. It really doesn't matter how many miles you walk anyways; it is how much you live, laugh, love, learn along the way!;) "Although there could be a lively discussion about how much, if any, of those things MS has done throughout his hike so far, if he does drop out, no one should fault him for that.

mweinstone
09-18-2006, 08:08
there will be no bears while you are sleeping. also,... minnisota smith will make us proud. that is all.

TOW
09-18-2006, 08:20
I would believe he continues to hike on. Even if he dicided to hang out for a winter and complete his hike next year or the year after or never, I think the man has hiked the trail. I hike the entire width of the trail everyday several times and every now and then I'll stop right in the middle and turn around and go back, always coming back to finish it later.........So there! I said it! I got it off my chest now!

You know I think I am going to put Trail Registers in strategic places along the corridor of the length of the trail for those of us who hike the width on a regular basis so that we can stop to jot down and reflect on our thoughts of what we have just accomplished,,,,,,,,

Dances with Mice
09-18-2006, 08:25
I would believe he continues to hike on. Even if he dicided to hang out for a winter and complete his hike next year or the year after or never, I think the man has hiked the trail. I hike the entire width of the trail everyday several times and every now and then I'll stop right in the middle and turn around and go back, always coming back to finish it later.........So there! I said it! I got it off my chest now!

You know I think I am going to put Trail Registers in strategic places along the corridor of the length of the trail for those of us who hike the width on a regular basis so that we can stop to jot down and reflect on our thoughts of what we have just accomplished,,,,,,,,Right on! There should be a patch for those of us who've traversed the entire width of the Trail. There's one of Northbounders (NOBOs) and Southbounders (SOBOs) but we West-East Bounders (Weenies) get no respect.

It's sometimes taken me all day to get across some especially challenging widths of trail.

STEVEM
09-18-2006, 08:35

Impossible. The nice people in the white suits don't let you have shoelaces. They do set you by the rubber window so you can look out and dream about your 2007 thru hike.

Two Speed
09-18-2006, 08:41
Right on! There should be a patch for those of us who've traversed the entire width of the Trail. There's one of Northbounders (NOBOs) and Southbounders (SOBOs) but we West-East Bounders (Weenies) get no respect.

It's sometimes taken me all day to get across some especially challenging widths of trail.Don't know about a patch, but you can get your "weenie" t-shirt at Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs.

Nean
09-18-2006, 08:54
Don't know about a patch, but you can get your "weenie" t-shirt at Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs.

For those who can step on a stick while hiking the ENTIRE width of the trail and still bear to look at yourself in the mirror- go ahead.:-? I slide my shoe under the stick and get the whole left and right down... and sleep very well thank you.:rolleyes:

Dances with Mice
09-18-2006, 09:07
For those who can step on a stick while hiking the ENTIRE width of the trail and still bear to look at yourself in the mirror- go ahead.:-? I slide my shoe under the stick and get the whole left and right down... and sleep very well thank you.:rolleyes:I'm careful to walk past every single part of the white blaze.

Gray Blazer
09-18-2006, 09:44
Although there could be a lively discussion about how much, if any, of those things MS has done throughout his hike so far, if he does drop out, no one should fault him for that.

Why would somebody fault anybody for dropping out of a thru-hike?

Lone Wolf
09-18-2006, 09:46
Because thru-hiking is competitive. It's a race.

T-Dubs
09-18-2006, 10:04
Matthewski reminds me of White Blaze's illustrious founder. However, he's very entertaining and, I think, a lot smarter than he seems.

I'm relatively new here and don't know the history of all these members but I get a mental image of Rainman with a lap-top. (And I mean that in a good way as it is entertaining.:) )

Tom

the goat
09-18-2006, 10:05
Because thru-hiking is competitive. It's a race.

lol, with medals and trophies for the winners.:D

STEVEM
09-18-2006, 10:35
I'm relatively new here and don't know the history of all these members but I get a mental image of Rainman with a lap-top. (And I mean that in a good way as it is entertaining.:) )

Tom
SAT Test review question:

MWEINSTONE : MINNESOTASMITH as RAINMAN : _________________

A. Forert Gump
B. Albert Einstein
C. K-Mart boxer shorts
D. Liver and Broccoli
E. All of the above
F. None of the above

mweinstone
09-18-2006, 14:50
even covered with lead and sewage, i check the thread before bathing.i think that sums up our espri de corps here. and another thing,.. minnisota smith is going to come to gatherings and trail days and feeds. so we'll be seeing him in our community in the comming years. if he does quit thruhiking,.. no one need feel sad . minnisota smith is a member of white blaze and there he will stay . we may visit and chat him up at will. and as far as the future of threading mr smith,.... how bout,...."as the trail turns, with host, minnisota smith."a daily 45 minute discussion about politics. or,..." blaze to blaze " starring minnisota smith. a gunslinging trail western. or maby "minnisota smith,here and now" a daily 10 minute worship program focusing on the teachings of dr smith. my vote is for a show called,"slow man walking" starring minnisota smith , as , the slowest staff in the east. a discussion about hiking your own hike and nothing else. callers,.. or posters,.. will tell how they are different. and what weird techniques they imploy.

MOWGLI
09-18-2006, 15:05
and as far as the future of threading mr smith,.... how bout,...."...a daily 10 minute worship program focusing on the teachings of dr smith."

Those are DEFINITELY not your underwear! I suggest you give them back to MS immediately. :eek:

sherrill
09-18-2006, 15:22
Dr. Smith? Maybe he can stowaway on a spaceship and cosmo blaze some outer space trails with some kid named Will and a bubble-headed robot. :rolleyes:

mweinstone
09-18-2006, 16:52
zachary smith! zachary smith! return to ship! dangerous atmosphere, return to ship. will robinson, dr smith has left the ship and cannot be located. dad! dad! the robot cat find dr smith!julie,.. im going after him and when i find him im going to beat some sence into him. no dad dont! zachary smith 1....zachary smith......return to ship!

mweinstone
09-18-2006, 17:08
08-16-2006, 20:52
mingo

View my Gallery

mweinstone, that's what kind of dumbass

i miss it,.. he,... she,.. whatever.

mweinstone
09-18-2006, 17:11
mingo

View my Gallery

i don't know who this minnesota smith fella is but i was hiking up around the priest last weekend and reading the shelter logs and in both the priest and maupin field shelters there were several derogatory comments about mr. smith. he seems to be really making lots of friends on the trail

STEVEM
09-18-2006, 17:20
Dr. Smith? Maybe he can stowaway on a spaceship and cosmo blaze some outer space trails with some kid named Will and a bubble-headed robot. :rolleyes:

If the gravity were less, would his pack still be too heavy? Does spaceship travel count as yellow blazing?

mweinstone
09-18-2006, 17:25
???????????

????????????¢£???€????t??????Œ?É

MOWGLI
09-18-2006, 17:26
Duct tape! :banana Don't leave home without it!

Skidsteer
09-18-2006, 17:33
Name the people in here the photo!

I see myself, Tricks, Wonderfoot, AT Troll, Camo Jack and a couple others I can't remember their names...

Looks like Mother Nature on the far right.

Dances with Mice
09-18-2006, 17:35
Looks like Mother Nature on the far right.Never before have "Mother Nature" and "far right" been used in the same sentence.

Skidsteer
09-18-2006, 17:41
Never before have "Mother Nature" and "far right" been used in the same sentence.

It's got to be some sort of messed up quark or parallel universe photo.

Even Sly is on the far right.;)

boarstone
09-18-2006, 17:56
So to bring this post back " on line" where is Minnesota Smith? Come in MS...where are you?..

Sly
09-18-2006, 18:00
Even Sly is on the far right.;)

Bet your booties! Where's Osama, err... wrong forum, I mean Minnismith?

mweinstone
09-18-2006, 18:29
the classic appalachian trail thruhiker is one part inspecter gadget, one part hermit, one part bruce jenner, one part vagrant, one part poet, one part earl and a small amount of minnisota smith added as propellent. note: federal law prohibits the intentional concentrating or inhaling of these ingredients.

Darwin again
09-18-2006, 21:37
Perhaps Minnesota has done a global intelligence assessment and determined that American military action against Iran is imminent. He has retreated to his Liar of Solitude to wait out hostilities.

STEVEM
09-18-2006, 21:41
Minnesota Smith called in today at 8:00 PM. He is at The Pine Ellis Lodge in Andover Maine. He will stay there for about 4 days and will take advantage of the available slackpack service. He may flip to K if it becomes necessary and has a date and location in mind to make that decision.

He wanted me to mention the following names of hikers he has met recently: Wooly Bear, No Pliers, Miss Direction, Crescent City, Charlie Foxtrot, Railroad, Critter, Minnow, Fish, Chainsaw, and Boulder.

For all the old New England Yankees out there, he acknowledges that if the first 200 miles of the AT were like the last 200 he has hiked he would have been gone long ago.

He is determined. He says nothing short of a broken leg or death will keep him from reaching K. He says he will finish Kent to Hanover. I would not advise betting against him.

He hopes to gain computer access tomorrow evening, so gather up all your family and friends.

9/18/06: Word of inspiration from MS: "You do not beat a mountain. By climbing it you learn what lesson it may have for you on that particular day. It was here long before you and will remain long after you."

Lone Wolf
09-18-2006, 21:44
Slackpacking the hard stuff is wimpy. Soft.

StarLyte
09-18-2006, 21:52

LW: :D

Well, he's still out there or should I say "up" there

----okay----better go get that bottle of cognac.

Pipe down Matthewski.

Skidsteer
09-18-2006, 21:56
Can't beat a mountain?

Walk up, over, down, repeat. Mountains don't have legs. It's not like they chase you up the trail.

Whatever. Go MS!

Darwin again
09-18-2006, 22:25
GO, GO, GO, MS!!:banana

Dances with Mice
09-18-2006, 22:36
Good news.

But, Steve, I think I could teach you a thing or two about how to set up a bet...

weary
09-18-2006, 23:12
Minnesota Smith ...hopes to gain computer access tomorrow evening, so gather up all your family and friends.

9/18/06: Word of inspiration from MS: "You do not beat a mountain. By climbing it you learn what lesson it may have for you on that particular day. It was here long before you and will remain long after you."
Tell him to get a ride to The Cabin. He can use their computer. They are friendly folks

Weary

Footslogger
09-18-2006, 23:26
This thread is going to hit 3000 posts soon.

How does something like this happen ??

'Slogger

STEVEM
09-19-2006, 00:05
Good news.

But, Steve, I think I could teach you a thing or two about how to set up a bet...

Maybe, maybe not? Sometimes you can fleece the rubes better in they stand in a nice neat line. Would you have bet for OJ? Bringin in the sheep, bringin in the sheep. Set up the pins then knock 'em down.

Nean
09-19-2006, 01:09

Is that what you tell Warren?:-? :D :D :eek:

Nean
09-19-2006, 01:12
and a small amount of minnisota smith added as propellent.

also known as: gas :eek: :o ........ :eek: :D

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 08:11
minnisota smith
maker of minnisotas
smith of state
dr smith
luke skywalker
zachary smith
minnisota in black smith
smitty
ms
lucas
jedi
last hope
lover of cuttlefish
emperor of occtopuss
king of congac
light of the trail
giver of hope
liver of dreams
dreamer of livers
we love and miss you dude!

STEVEM
09-19-2006, 08:27
20some miles out and he's looking for a hostel.:rolleyes: 1 in 25 chance.

Starlyte, are you working on a menu for the MS celebration party? Maybe a big platter of "Southern Fried Crow" for L. Wolf.
http://www.thecrowroost.com/RECIPES.htm
http://bertc.com/three_crows.htm

Dances with Mice
09-19-2006, 08:49
Would you have bet for OJ? Made a few off him, yes, I did.

You could have set this up by saying MS is layed up for the next four days (true) with foot pain (all hikers have foot pains) and is concerned about the weather (true) and is thinking about ending his hike (also true) and getting a ride back home (after its compelete, but there's no obligation to give the rubes every little detail). Continue on about how it looks bad but you've still got a feeling he'll make it. Let them offer to make the bet, string them along a little to get better odds, then reluctantly agree to accept their money. Crying on your way to the bank is a nice touch.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2006, 08:58
I never bet for or against him. I just said he has a 1 in 25 hikers chance of making it .
So I ain't gonna need no crow pie.

warren doyle
09-19-2006, 10:08
Lone Wolf and I have had many pleasant conversations. We respect each other's differences and similarities. We don't tell each other how to hike but enjoy learning about why we hike the way we do.
It is apparent by the tone of the poster's post, that he is unaware that I completed a 13.5 day traverse of the John Muir Trail in early July without resupply (i.e., backpacking) and on Sunday did a 34-mile day hike from Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam. Both were challenging in their own way due to time, distance, terrain and my age. I don't consider them 'slacking' in any way.
For the poster to continue interpreting why and how I walk in such a way might invite his future membership on my 'internegator' list.

STEVEM
09-19-2006, 10:24
Made a few off him, yes, I did.

You could have set this up by saying MS is layed up for the next four days (true) with foot pain (all hikers have foot pains) and is concerned about the weather (true) and is thinking about ending his hike (also true) and getting a ride back home (after its compelete, but there's no obligation to give the rubes every little detail). Continue on about how it looks bad but you've still got a feeling he'll make it. Let them offer to make the bet, string them along a little to get better odds, then reluctantly agree to accept their money. Crying on your way to the bank is a nice touch.

Mice Master, Good points, thank you. But consider that I appeared in the middle of this whole story seemingly out of nowhere.

What if this is one big scam. Maybe MS, Weinstoner and I set up this whole thing from the very beginning. MS, Stoner and I could be sitting in my basement right now watching Jerry Springer.

We take him out now and then for a public appearance,you know: offend an Aussie, photo with a trail legend, shoe a horse, kick a dog, boil some liver, stuff like that.

In a few weeks we publish a summit photo, or maybe a bloody report of a moose goring. Not sure which yet.

By the time the rubes figure it out we're fishing in Cabo.

Skyline
09-19-2006, 10:24
Despite many of his political and social rants which are about 180 degrees from mine, I really wanted MS to make it. Don't we all want EVERY hiker to make it? And MS has certainly proven he is a long-distance hiker--albeit one with a very unique style. But look at the calendar, the weather, the terrain, HIS AVERAGE MPD, and his relative inexperience doing what he must do to finish as a thru-hiker.

It would be smart for him to do what he can still do in '06 and come back next year to finish. If he did that he could still actually FINISH on Katahdin, sometime next summer.

It would be very sad indeed if MS refused to swallow his pride just to save face here on WB, tried to finish this year, and got seriously hurt or worse. Let's not encourage that.

Dances with Mice
09-19-2006, 10:33
It would be very sad indeed if MS refused to swallow his pride just to save face here on WB, tried to finish this year, and got seriously hurt or worse. Let's not encourage that.As much as we on W-B like to think we're impacting his hike, let us not overestimate our importance in his world. I trust him to stay within his limits and he knows best what they are.

RITBlake
09-19-2006, 10:44
The good old days of MSs original gear list.

Gear List

Major Gear
Backpack – one of:
Gregory: Acadia or Forester
Arcteryx: Khamsin (52?)
Granite Gear: Nimbus Ozone or Nimbus Latitude
P2 pack (don’t remember manufacturer offhand, but is about 3 pounds, with over 4000 cubic inches capacity; is sold at Neels Gap)

Sleeping bag (for nonwinter hiking):
synthetic nonmummy (rectangular or semi-rectangular) with zipper, 20o F; something like Marmot Pounder or North Face Fission? (0o to –25o+ degree bag for winter)

Silk liner for sleeping bag

Footwear -- bringing all three:
lightweight Gore-Tex material boots/trail runners (would definitely be in boots north of southern Pennsylvania state line)
New Balance running shoes (high-end)
camp shoes (ala “Crocs”)

Tent:
Henry Shires: gray Virga 2 tarptent with beak, sewed-in floor, connected fine netting for lower walls, extra poles/stakes/lines, Tyvek groundcloth cut to fit put underneath to extend tentfloor life
(fully enclosed tent for winter; type uncertain)
hammer for tent stakes: use loose rock (start looking for in advance of stopping for night)

Stove:
lightweight alcohol stove (3-season) made to order; will use white gas stove in winter hiking such as Sunto/SVEA 123
windscreen
ethyl and/or anhydrous isopropyl alcohol fuel for summer; methyl/ethyl mix for fall (from automotive department at ChinaMart)

Pack cover/poncho:
having Packa custom-made in dull green color (since gray/camouflage not available color options)

Ridgerest pad (6’ length)
Thermarest pad (6’ length) or Big Agnes
Clips to hold pads atop each other (REI sells)
Pillow: use stuff sack with clothes

Water
Katadyne ceramic filter pump (already own)
(2) ½ - 1 gallon plastic juice bottles (always have); one labeled for water prefiltered with coffee filters, but not run thru Katadyne yet; Nalgene bottle with attached lid possibly better
1 ½- gallon plastic thermos (glass vacuum bottle type too likely to break on Trail) for cold/hot drinks (already own)
2.5 gallon collapsible clear plastic water container (still deciding on brand/model)
hiker-sized Aqua-Mira chlorine dioxide water treatment set (backup to filter) (already have)
coffee filters for prefiltering water, before Katadyne/Aqua Mira
plastic food-grade funnel – same use as coffee filters
stainless steel (no moving parts) water distillation device – won’t bring on Trail in near future; need wood fire for (already own; ~1.5 L size)

Lighting
(2) LED headlamps (have 1, been using it on night training walks)
~3 spare sets of AAA batteries for headlamps (3 batteries/set); more needed in winter, due to fewer hours daylight, reduced battery life in cooler temps
penlight? (desirable if uses AAA size for battery compatibility)
small electric lamp? (for night book reading/journal writing)

Cooking
Large titanium pot (~1.3 L) for food
Medium titanium pot (~1.0 L) for heating beverages
(2) nesting Rubbermaid clear plastic containers with lids for leftovers/cooked-ahead meals (inc. from town stops/Trail magic)
tiny dish soap bottle
tiny dish brush
green scrub pad (cut in half)
aluminum foil
metal tool to lift pot? (don’t know correct term)
Lexan spork
A few disposable plastic forks/spoons/knives? (backup to spork, plus can give other hikers)
1 roll paper towels
Ziploc bags (1 gallon and 1 pint size, best quality)
pot cozy
BEAR BAG! (silnylon, 20+ pound capacity); attach clip to it?
rope for bear bag – heavy-duty nylon with (2) 45o-angle crosspieces to reduce swaying; may use lightweight cable instead; put clip on
bells to put on bear bag? (let me know bag being messed with)
titanium/heat-resistant thick plastic pint drinking cup?
waterproof strike-anywhere matches (may just dip in wax)
regular kitchen wooden matches
fire starter stuff (birthday candles, drier lint, magnesium strip and/or flint and steel; note cooking oil/stove fuel can also be used for this)

Anti-Bug
head net (already have 2); bring 1 on section hikes, 2 on thru-hike
nylon gloves (“aviator” gloves) when too hot/wet for garden gloves as needed; good against sun in open spaces, too (used extensively in past hiking out West as inner climbing glove liner during journal writing in open)
one NEW regular-size can Deep Woods OFF (leave out in winter outside of South)

Hygiene
motel soap
motel shampoo
motel conditioner
small plastic comb
one disposable plastic razor
small set fingernail clippers (help with splinters, too)
two 4-packs biodegradable toilet paper (Wal-Mart RV section in Automotive department; is a trade item with other hikers, too)
ethyl alcohol hand sanitizer plastic bottle?
small individually-wrapped alcohol towlettes
shower booties if obtainable; otherwise, may bring thin flip-flops? (to minimize Athlete’s Foot from public showers at hostel/truck stop showers, and as backup to Crocs as camp footwear)
Rubbing/ethyl alcohol to sanitize socks and help them dry?
sock/shoe drying device I'm designing (not finished yet)

First Aid/Medical
nasal spray
small tweezers
steroid cream tube for skin
band-aids
moleskin (have) ((blisters)
“second-skin” spray? (blisters/abrasions)
flat gauze pads ~3 or 4” square for inner thigh abrasions from walking
tiny plastic bottle suntan lotion (SPF 20+)
chap stick (Vaseline brand?)
superglue? (skin fissures; good for gear repair, too)
aspirin (take daily anyway)
Bactine OR methiolate/iodine OR antibiotic ointment
White surgical tape (blisters and hold bandages/band-aids in place, esp. in wet conditions)
Imodium anti-diarrhea pills

Clothing (much more in winter)
rain shell pants (single-layer nylon); Capilene/Frogg Toggs?
2 bandannas (not blue/violet/purple color, so UV penetrates less; red ideal)
“boonie” hat – wide-brimmed cloth hat (already have, hiked with extensively)
1 pair bicycle shorts (Spandex)
1 pair regular semi-athletic shorts (town, mild weather, bike shorts backup)
2 pair synthetic-fabric underwear
1 thin jacket (nylon outer, paper-thin synthetic liner; have one like this already I use for working outside)
1 cotton T-shirt for town and dry mild days (dark color so hides stains)
1 pair down booties for night sleeping/in tent (REI sells)
1 thermal top? (like thermal underwear) 100% synthetic
1 thermal bottom/thin sweatpants? A/A
gloves
4 – 6 pair noncotton socks (synthetic or Smartwool?)
thin summer gaiters (longer and thicker for winter) (already have)
two eyeglasses straps (e.g., Croakies brand)
light-colored single-layer nylon windbreaker (esp. for sun)

Records
camera (~1 27-shot disposable camera per 5 hiking days for section hikes for now; 12-oz. 35-mm digital camera in hip holster for thru-hike/ASAP)
water-resistant journal book (like orange geologic field journal)
pencils (mechanical pencils malfunction too often to trust IMO)
tiny pencil sharpener (pocketknife backup)
camera hip holster

Resources (maps/guides/numbers)
Georgia wilderness areas map from Wal-Mart (in sporting goods by lake maps for fishing)
Printed list of distances from www (GA AT club site?)
Wingfoot’s book
Shuttle contact list
Appalachian Trail Conference trail guides (for GA/NC to start)
Appalachian Trail Data Book
Thru-hiker’s Handbook (formerly “Philosopher’s Guide”)
GA state highway map (highway welcome station)
NC state highway map (A/A)
calling card numbers
phone numbers for family/work/friends
State geological survey quadrangle maps for certain sections, e.g., Mt. Rogers/Whites/Katahdin (excess cut away); probably not an issue for section hikes pre-Mt. Rogers
foliage/fauna identification handbook? (have not figured out good one yet)

Miscellaneous
noncollapsible light-colored medium-sized umbrella with emergency-blanket material on outside (taped or spray-glued in place)
book to read
semi-disposable earplugs (shelters, hostels) (have from work)
vitamin pills (already take daily; need biologic-origin source)
nonmercury thermometer (100 to –40o range) probably only on thru-/winter hikes
hiking stick – oak, fairly thick at base, 6’+ long, pad and strap where hold
Bear spray -- Counter Assault brand; REI has
hip holster for bear spray
small pocketknife (have)
tiny scissors (sewing, surgical/duct tape, etc.)
parachute cord
~30’ duct tape (the good stuff – from air conditioner supply store)
carabiners to hold zippers together
safety pins (repairs, hold bandanna to hat vs. sun)
plastic garbage bags
1-2 contractor bags (heavy-duty yard bags) for inner pack liner
~2 stuff (compression) sacks (silnylon, from REI)
2 disposable sunglasses (like clip-ons, but larger)
reversible hitchhiking sign that says “To Town” and “To Trail” (material?)
necklace money pouch
tiny bottle eyeglasses/camera lens cleaner? (will probably just use soap & water until have digital camera)
MONEY (much of it as American Express money orders)
debit card for thru-hike
spare eyeglasses (thru-hike only)
washtub? --cut 2.5 gallon distilled water jug) (thru-hike during summer only)
pack of mousetraps? -- when using shelters only; possibly only worthwhile during winter/rainy spells when shelters most desirable to use
Beano/Gas-X (not or ME personally; OTHER users of shelters should bring)

RITBlake
09-19-2006, 10:46
please note that he lists 30 FEET of duct tape and not 30 INCHES

Skyline
09-19-2006, 12:18
As much as we on W-B like to think we're impacting his hike, let us not overestimate our importance in his world. I trust him to stay within his limits and he knows best what they are.

Hope you're right. I don't think I ever met him personally, certainly don't know what makes him tick (have you / do you?). His thousands of posts on WB indicate he's a very stubborn man (usually a good thing re: LD hiking), who will not admit he could be even 5% wrong on anything despite overwhelming evidence. Add to that THIS THREAD and all the prognosticating, I just don't think it's a smart thing to needle him any more about finishing as a thru-hiker (not that you were). Because IMHO it would not be a smart thing for him to try to finish as a thru-hiker given THIS overwhelming evidence.

MS can have a better Trail experience if he takes the pressure off now, hikes where he can for as long as he can for a few more weeks this year (perhaps tackling CT/MA and another stretch in lower elevation)--then resumes next summer after black fly season. He might even get a first class day to summit--something he surely won't get on his present itinerary. Trust me, Katahdin will be just as gloirious, just as meaningful, as a two-year (or more) hiker as a one-year hiker.

FWIW, I had some different advice for MS not that long ago. Looking at it again I really think he would be foolish to be hiking in high elevation in New England in late October or beyond. He's going to do what he wants to do and/or what he needs to do to try to "prove" he was right all along and the hundreds who have given him advice were therefore wrong, I suspect, so this advice is worth exactly what he paid for it.

Kerosene
09-19-2006, 12:23
Hikerhead (aka, Hokey Pokey) and I ran into Neo at the Mizpah Hut in the Whites on 9/15. Neo showed us pictures and recounted his introduction to Minnesota Smith in Gorham a few days earlier. Neo also mentioned that MS had skipped ahead 300 miles to be able to get to Katahdin before it closes. After doing the Whites, it's impressive to think he got through there with a pack that big, especially if the weather was bad.

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 12:25
Something else to think about. This thread will have to end eventually.

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 12:30
Something else to think about. This thread will have to end eventually.

I hear there is an large asteroid approaching the earth. :eek: That may make this a moot point.

Sly
09-19-2006, 12:32
Trust me, Katahdin will be just as gloirious, just as meaningful, as a two-year (or more) hiker as a one-year hiker.

How would you know? ;)

Seriously, unless MS is injured he can just plod along as he has been. Hiking in Maine this time of year is awesome. Yes, it may get cold, or yes, it may snow but it's not that much different then his early start. If he's forced off the trail due to injury or too much snow is one thing, but to intentionally quit doesn't make sense to me.

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 12:43
... but to intentionally quit doesn't make sense to me.

I almost quit in Gorham, and again in Andover. I was weak and run down from a stomach bug. And I was moving at twice the pace that MS is going. My point is... it happens.

Skyline
09-19-2006, 12:45
How would you know? ;)

Seriously, unless MS is injured he can just plod along as he has been. Hiking in Maine this time of year is awesome. Yes, it may get cold, or yes, it may snow but it's not that much different then his early start. If he's forced off the trail due to injury or too much snow is one thing, but to intentionally quit doesn't make sense to me.

Got me there, you're correct--I don't know what it's like to be on Katahdin as a single-year thru-hiker.

So I'll amend my words to say it would still be glorious to be on Katahdin next year as it would be this year.

Others may be able to give better first-hand comparisons of GA/NC in Feb./Mar. and NH/ME in late Fall or early Winter. I'm thinking New England would be less forgiving since the weather can be more severe, it's more remote, plus the bailout possibilities and trail angelry are tiny percentages of what you'd find in the South. Given the right luck, and some real winter mountaineering experience, it sure could be awesome tho.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2006, 12:46
I quit in Gorham my first year and had absolutely no regrets. Katahdin wasn't a goal. Hiking till it wasn't fun anymore was.

Dances with Mice
09-19-2006, 12:56
Something else to think about. This thread will have to end eventually.But we're only in the low 2000's.

Sly
09-19-2006, 13:07
Well, of course if it stops being *fun* there's really no need to continue. When I hike, I am goal orientated (I want to finish) , but it's always been fun, if not challenging.

That said, some hikers don't know when to stop, quit or turn round and it's cost them their lives. I could very well make the same mistake, but if given the choice, I'd rather live to hike another day.

Skyline, I was only partially kidding. It took me two years to reach Katahdin and two to finish the PCT, one to do the CDT. No one hike was better than the other as far as how long it took to complete, but the "section hikes" allowed me to stay on the trail a bit longer, which IMO, is always a good thing.

Sly
09-19-2006, 13:47
Hikerhead (aka, Hokey Pokey) and I ran into Neo at the Mizpah Hut in the Whites on 9/15. Neo showed us pictures and recounted his introduction to Minnesota Smith in Gorham a few days earlier.

If Neo flew into NH on 9/12, got to Gorham and was at Mitzpah on 9/15 he's flying, doing well over 20 mpd.

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 13:59
I ain't talking about shutting it down. I am talking about the hike ending eventually. No sense in keeping talking about a hike that is ended.

Anyhow. How about that new signature like there boston. Are you just trying to see if you can piss off women?

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 14:00
If Neo flew into NH on 9/12, got to Gorham and was at Mitzpah on 9/15 he's flying, doing well over 20 mpd.

He started at Pinkham Notch. Changed his plans.

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 14:02
Anyhow. How about that new signature like there boston. Are you just trying to see if you can piss off women?

That's a quote from some rapper named Slug. My question is, how can you tell one Slug from another?

RITBlake
09-19-2006, 14:48
Next Years Wingfoot Guide

http://www.maine2georgia.com/wbms.jpg

Sly
09-19-2006, 14:50
LOL.... good one RIT

Creek Dancer
09-19-2006, 14:53
I ain't talking about shutting it down. I am talking about the hike ending eventually. No sense in keeping talking about a hike that is ended.

Maybe Boston is going for shock value. Maybe he thinks he is funny. Either way, I find the quote very bothersome.

Ender
09-19-2006, 14:59
There's no need to shut a perfectly good thread down without cause.

You'er making the assumption that this is a perfectly good thread...

:p

SGT Rock
09-19-2006, 14:59
Thanks Boston.

Creek Dancer
09-19-2006, 15:00
Well, I removed it. Quote wasn't meant to offend, just a snippet form one on my favorite songs, like all most of my other sigs.

I appreciate that. Thanks!

the goat
09-19-2006, 15:06
CLASSIC RIT! i just fell outta my chair!

RITBlake
09-19-2006, 15:16

CLASSIC RIT! i just fell outta my chair!

Thanks, I hope it brightens everyones day!

Creek Dancer
09-19-2006, 15:23
RIT, I thought you were kidding with the gear list post! But by the looks of the size of his pack and all the stuff he is carrying, I guess you were serious. Good grief.

To each his own hike I guess.

The Old Fhart
09-19-2006, 15:24

I just ordered my copy! Can I get it autographed?:-?

STEVEM
09-19-2006, 15:32
Despite many of his political and social rants which are about 180 degrees from mine, I really wanted MS to make it. Don't we all want EVERY hiker to make it? And MS has certainly proven he is a long-distance hiker--albeit one with a very unique style. But look at the calendar, the weather, the terrain, HIS AVERAGE MPD, and his relative inexperience doing what he must do to finish as a thru-hiker.

It would be smart for him to do what he can still do in '06 and come back next year to finish. If he did that he could still actually FINISH on Katahdin, sometime next summer.

It would be very sad indeed if MS refused to swallow his pride just to save face here on WB, tried to finish this year, and got seriously hurt or worse. Let's not encourage that.

I've met MS personally and talked to him on the phone several times. We've actually discussed the concerns mentioned. I shared those concerns prior to meeting him. This is what I think I know:

1. He will do it his way.
2. He knows his limitations.
3. He gets the WB thing.
4. He will quit if it stops being fun.
5. He will be a better man for doing this no matter how it ends.

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 16:21
minnisota smith will hike to katadhin and go to kent and walk to hanover long before hell freezes over. and long before he'll freeze over. and before a heel or other foot problem stops him. and long before the naysayers stop naying and before the park disallowes him in . and before the asteroid , and the death by falling and before he's all out of fun. and if you need a reason why he will,... there isnt one. just cause, thats why. and when you challenge this man to hike, you make him laugh. and when you doubt this mans abbility to finnish this year, you bore him. and when you make references to star wars,....well,.... thats the only thing you do that affects him at all. it makes him laugh. in a good way. he dosnt mind being associated with skyywalker me thinks. he likes it.and tonight when he lays down to sleep,.. a sudden chiver will course thru him ,... as he reminds himself,.. how much he loves this exspirence. and hiking. and being talked about. yes,lone wolf, there is a santa clause. we've all asked for the same thing. for a legendary finnish in snow and cold and wind ,.... and in god.
good hiking to you kind sir. and may the map on the kitchen wall you made the folks to follow your hike,...not be needed next year.

gr8fulyankee
09-19-2006, 16:30
Well, I removed it. Quote wasn't meant to offend, just a snippet form one on my favorite songs, like all most of my other sigs.

I sorry, But I have an issue with you removing your sig, because other people are offended. Just because someone doesn't like what you have to say or understands your personal viewpoint, does it mean that you have to conceed to them, hell no! There are a lot of people sigs on this site that people may feel are offensive, oh friggen' well ! Going under this type of thinking I guess that I should make a comment to anyone who posts a religious comment. You can't and should have to please everybody.

Now if you have put a users name in the qoute, then yes I can understand removing it because it then would be a personal attack, but in this case I think you should have stood your ground for what you believe in, even if it is only 4 line from a song!

RITBlake
09-19-2006, 16:41
I sorry, But I have an issue with you removing your sig, because other people are offended. Just because someone doesn't like what you have to say or understands your personal viewpoint, does it mean that you have to conceed to them, hell no! There are a lot of people sigs on this site that people may feel are offensive, oh friggen' well ! Going under this type of thinking I guess that I should make a comment to anyone who posts a religious comment. You can't and should have to please everybody.

Now if you have put a users name in the qoute, then yes I can understand removing it because it then would be a personal attack, but in this case I think you should have stood your ground for what you believe in, even if it is only 4 line from a song!

yah, it was something about rape and women. still ok for a sig?

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 16:42
RIT, I thought you were kidding with the gear list post! But by the looks of the size of his pack and all the stuff he is carrying, I guess you were serious.

If you look carefully, you can see the kitchen sink over his left shoulder. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 16:55
Lay off Boston. The song actually was about a 16 year old fan of the rapper who was brutally murdered. The quote was out of context. It's not a bad song. Quite the contrary actually.

RITBlake
09-19-2006, 17:04
Lay off Boston. The song actually was about a 16 year old fan of the rapper who was brutally murdered. The quote was out of context. It's not a bad song. Quite the contrary actually.

Understandable, but if you don't know the song it came off kind of harsh.

Anyway, Boston was cool about removing it so its not really an issue.

:o

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 17:09
can a sig be religious?

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 17:33
can a sig be religious?

Yours already is.

Matthew is the first book of the New Testament.

You subversive you.;)

gr8fulyankee
09-19-2006, 17:40
Understandable, but if you don't know the song it came off kind of harsh.

Anyway, Boston was cool about removing it so its not really an issue.

:o

Actually it is an issue because it is a form of censorship! :-?

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 17:41
can minnisota smith .can minnisota smith?! yeah,.. can the man. no! can he make it? sure can. cant. can. cant . can can. cant cant. can can can.

and so ends another hiking day as the sun sets on baxter peak. soon to set in the vallys, and finally in the privys. and as the last headlamp is exstinguished,... snoring begins. and so it goes.

The Old Fhart
09-19-2006, 18:02
gr8fulyankee-"Actually it is an issue because it is a form of censorship!"Actually nothing is absolute. You can say you have the "right" of free speech but you cannot yell "fire" in a movie theater, for example. With freedom also comes great responsibility. I believe Boston acted responsibly by removing the text in question.

You may think everything is black and white but, as one of my favorite songs says, "every silver lining has a touch of gray." ;)

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 18:11
Actually it is an issue because it is a form of censorship! :-?

Actually, it was self-censorship becase Boston took the sig down himself because someone was offended. That's called being sensible and considerate. The social group polices its own through consensus and generally accepted standards of conduct, which are more powerful than written laws most of the time. (See also: anarchy.)

Minnesota might have rethunk his sig in the same way. Or maybe not.

(By the way, STEVEM, got your message and sent a note to Our Man Smith. Thanks.)

Cold front came through today while I was up on Bear Den Mountain. Beautiful blue skies and a fresh breeze. Made me want to walk all day. :sun

~Darwin (Where do you fall on the political spectrum? Left, Right, Fascist, Libertarian? Take the test here (http://www.politicalcompass.org/index).)

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 18:58
minnisota smith invited to chair house sub commitiy on abortion . in his first legeslative act, mr smith vetoed the floors bill to abort the hike. in its place he is sponsoring a new bill. bill 24,......"all thru hiker atempts must end in completion or death." the bill was received by a not so enthusiastic floor yet has much support in the private sector and many powerful lobbyests agree the bill needs to pass. as the hike lingers on, most forign troops agree with there american brothers , the hike needs to end with total victory and the defeat of comehomeunism everywhere.an estimated 6.7 miles died today in fighting.

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 19:11
operation " slackpack" got under way shortly before sunrise this morning in maine and all thru out the war zone and surrounding trail. general minnisota smith was placed in charge by the cheifs of staff and is " wingin it" according to unamed white house sources. gen. smith was quoted as saying,"were going after miles here, ...one at a time." fighting in the area around andover was reportedly feirce today with many miles being killed or wounded.the enemy is reported wet and cold with periods of depression overcoming even the general at times. rear support troops have been activated back at white blaze navel reserve air station.a platoon of humer specilists is being deployed lead by the laughing stock of the blaze, private weinstone, or onestone as he is known after his now infamouse retreat from pearisburg. the president stood up for pvt weinstone saying" he may have tucked tail and run home like a woose,.......but we need his humer to boost or generals moral"

Sly
09-19-2006, 19:15
I did a couple slackpacks when I was in Andover and it was a real PITA. Lots of drive time. If he's doing 4 days, he'll be in a car half the time. He's probably better off just hiking.

But hey, HYOH.

Topcat
09-19-2006, 19:18
Darwin,
I took the test and i am right next to the Dalai Lama......who'd of thunk it.......

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 19:22
Actually, a lot of folks slackpack in that area, and all of the Andover hostels offer this service to those who are interested. Thing is, the terrain there is so difficult that in most cases, you're not going to feel like hiking more than ten or eleven miles anyway, so if you can slack it instead, and come back in mid afternoon to a nice hostel, it's a great way to get a bit of rest without losing much, if anything, in the way of mileage. Also, the hostels in Andover are great places, and a lot of folks look forward to spending more than one night in them. In Smith's case, slacking here REALLY makes sense, as in all likelihood, he'll make significantly better mileage and time than if he did this section with a full pack; he'll eat better; and most important, will get some badly needed rest. I think his decision to slack here is a wise one.

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 19:27
Darwin,
I took the test and i am right next to the Dalai Lama......who'd of thunk it.......

Ha! That's a hoot!
I wound up somplace down around there, too.
Some kind of leftist libertarian, I am...
ARRRRRRGH! (we need a pirate smiley to insert here.:D)

~Darwin

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 19:28
Darwin,

Yeah - me too.

Sly
09-19-2006, 19:29
Me three.... !

Dances with Mice
09-19-2006, 19:32
To clear things up: There is no right of free speach on this site. It's silly to think otherwise. "Free speach" is not an issue because there isn't any nor should any be expected. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

What rights we have are given to us by the owners of this website. And they've been extremely liberal and tolerant of what others post here, but it is their absolute right to censor anything they want.

You do have the right to free speach but you have to use your own mouth. Go outside, or to a park, or a street corner and yell whatever you want. You don't have the right to force someone else to be your mouthpiece. There is also a right to a free press but not a right to use someone else's press to print whatever you want.

This is a private site. Someone pays for it to be here, and that someone can make whatever rules they like. If they don't want anyone to use the word "red", then they can kick your ass to the curb if you do. Be thankful for the owners for letting us use it but don't come here thinking it's a public forum and you have any rights at all.

They have allowed this thread to continue for over 2200 individual posts.

I'll never understand why.

And somehow I am nowhere near that Dolly Llama guy.

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 19:34
Me three.... !

Lets ask Jack to take the test. If he ends up next to the Dalai Lama or Ghandi, then we KNOW the test is rigged.

saimyoji
09-19-2006, 19:37
Darwin,

Thats odd, me too. :-?

Sandy B
09-19-2006, 19:38
DMW, Just add "freedom is not free" As a navy man for the past 23 years and still going.....

"You are welcome" :sun

Sandy B

Ps I have been looing for a spot on this thread for my $00.02

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 19:39
Funny you should ask, Mowgli. I just DID take the whole test, and ended up around a quarter inch from the exact center of the graph. And I'm not exactly surprised, as on some issues I'm far to the left, and on some, very far in the opposite direction. But it's an interesting site, and other folks might want to check it out.

Topcat
09-19-2006, 19:45
How much weight do most people carry when slackpacking, i am thinking a liter of water, sandwich, rain gear similar to what i carry on a day hike.

With MS"s philosophy of what is needed, what is he carrying on his slackpacking?

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 19:51
Here's what I carry when slacking:

*Map
*Water
*Polar Pure
*Headlamp/Batteries
*Camera
*Sun Glasses
*TP
*Snacks
*Rain shell, hat, and light gloves if weather is at all threatening.
*Fire starter (lighter)

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 19:57
yo darwin, im one square down from center and one square to the left. what does it mean? can you tell me if center is supposed to be normal?

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 19:58
What that test needs is an option for 'Not necessarily'.

I don't care what that test says,; I ain't no Ghandi. :rolleyes:

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 20:07
Darwin Again, you should've started a new thread about that test in the Politics forum.

That sumbitch would've knocked out six pages easy.

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 20:11
i think we all just learned alot about one of our esteamed customers. mr darwin sir. i stand in awe,.. not shock and awe awe,... just plain awe. but awe nun the less. your interest in that site speaks volumes about your being smart. i only hope your not cursed with geniack smarts like a certian hiker resembeling humpty dumpty.you see eggheadedness is not fun. funney , but not fun. being too smart allways ends in beatings. at least a single beating. but alas,, being dumb aint so great either.my point is i like you now. now that i know your smart you may be of some use to me. dumb people keep folks like you in a special address book. case i get stumped. i'll call. by the way,.. can you give us your prediction for how this thread ends? i mean it. i want your opinion. your gut feeling. i really do mean it.can ya?

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 20:11
To clear things up: There is no right of free speach on this site. ...
What rights we have are given to us by the owners of this website. And they've been extremely liberal and tolerant of what others post here, but it is their absolute right to censor anything they want.

I think if the owners of this site clamped down harshly on the type of speech they allowed, like say, the chinese government, lots of people wouldn't come back and post here and WB would die a natural death.

In theory the owners of this site could ban whatever kind of speech rubbed them backwards, but in practice, it would piss people off and they would go elsewhere. I know of at least one other hiking site that is run that way, where one guy bans people who disagree with him.

The way WB is run is a reflection of our American freedoms and that really reflects superbly on Rock and the Troll. Plus, this group is RUTHLESSLY self-policing and most of the rough stuff is seen as over the top by the cooler heads usually prevail and restore peace. Tolerance and open debate are bedrock American values and they are alive and well here on WB, despite the world-class cranks who lurk here. We all have bad days and get worked up over stupid things.

The WB owners could exercise their imperial powers, but why? What purpose would it serve other than drive people away?
I'd like to thank them for being so tolerant and, omigosh, liberal, in allowing us the freedom to reasonably (mostly) debate and poke at each other. It's free speech with a twist and I frigging love it.

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 20:12
Darwin Again, you should've started a new thread about that test in the Politics forum.

That sumbitch would've knocked out six pages easy.

Should we throw down a new thread?
I propose we do.
Any seconds?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 20:13
Funny you should ask, Mowgli. I just DID take the whole test, and ended up around a quarter inch from the exact center of the graph. And I'm not exactly surprised, as on some issues I'm far to the left, and on some, very far in the opposite direction. But it's an interesting site, and other folks might want to check it out.

Hey Jack, which DIRECTION from the center did you fall?:banana

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 20:16
yo darwin, im one square down from center and one square to the left. what does it mean? can you tell me if center is supposed to be normal?

I dunno nothin. I just found the site and winged it. Any interpretations on my part would be scurillous at best.

That's close to where Jack landed....:-?

i n t e r e s t i n g....

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 20:16
someone needs to embed a coded story into the thread so when its famous, you can uncover your code and sell a book. i vote as our code master,....lets see,.... it needs to be someone who can keep a secret,... someone knowone knows too well. ...... someone from the wrong side of the blaze,...............i know1,. wolf two point three billion!

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 20:20
and yes darwin your test needs its own thread. it really is smart as crap for a statistic. very very threadable. i predict 100 pages!

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 20:23
what? you thaught we only ever talk about you?

dont stop till youve had enough(michle jackson)

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 20:23
being too smart allways ends in beatings. at least a single beating.

I like you too, mathewski.
Seriously, if you could somehow focus and distill and sell what you do here on this thread, you could make a million or at least fifty or so. Really.

On MS earier today:
"liver of dreams
dreamer of livers"

That's pure genius. I was laughing out loud. really.:D:D

Peace.
~Darwin

mweinstone
09-19-2006, 20:26
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ed bell
09-19-2006, 20:30
On MS earier today:
"liver of dreams
dreamer of livers"

Peace.
~DarwinThat was pretty damn funny.:D

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 20:37
Public Service Announcement: I started the "Left, Right, Libertarian, Fascist?" thread in the General forum. Link is there.

Topcat
09-19-2006, 21:05

*Map
*Water
*Polar Pure
*Headlamp/Batteries
*Camera
*Sun Glasses
*TP
*Snacks
*Fire starter (lighter)

good list, Jack. Thanks

T-Dubs
09-19-2006, 21:25
Me three.... !

I was more in-line with Nelson Mandela but still in that quadrant.

Tom

Heater
09-19-2006, 21:47

*Map
*Water
*Polar Pure
*Headlamp/Batteries
*Camera
*Sun Glasses
*TP
*Snacks
*Fire starter (lighter)

Uh Oh. You forgot your cigs, Jack. :)

Lone Wolf
09-19-2006, 21:52
Nopacking that area is retarded. Camping after busting your ass all day is what it's all about. Not hanging in a hostel eating and drinking like a pig for days on end. Just my opinion. Course I'm tougher than most.:)

Lone Wolf
09-19-2006, 21:56
Slackpacking is rushing thru beautiful woods just to get back to a ***n crowded hostel. Buncha BS. Section hikers don't slack. They enjoy the woods.

StarLyte
09-19-2006, 22:08

YESSSSS Mathewski....you are normal!

GAWD love ya!

emerald
09-19-2006, 22:08
If we don't do some more talking about MinnesotaSmith's hike, he's going to reach 2000 miles before we reach 2000 posts and all we needed to do is tap on our keyboards.

Katahdin,Baxter Peak, 2,174.6 miles from Springer Mountain.

Click below for the post that tagged the sign!:D
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=246350&postcount=2175

StarLyte
09-19-2006, 22:09
Nopacking that area is retarded. Camping after busting your ass all day is what it's all about. Not hanging in a hostel eating and drinking like a pig for days on end. Just my opinion. Course I'm tougher than most.:)

That's not being tough LW.....that's being sensible....I agree....and that's my opinion.

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 22:13
Katahdin,Baxter Peak, 2,174.6 miles from Springer Mountain.

Click below for the post that tagged the sign!:D
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=246350&postcount=2175

Heh.

#2175 is off topic. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 22:22
What a ****ing terrible post for a summit post. I regret ever getting involved with this thread. I ruined the summit with some lame blather.

Sorry for ruining your hike, minnesotasmith.

I wouldn't obsess too much about it Boston.

Lame blather abounds here.

Jan LiteShoe
09-19-2006, 22:35
private weinstone, or onestone as he is known after his now infamouse retreat from pearisburg. l"

Next year's MS thread?
I've enjoyed your free-associative enthusiasm for the subject at hand.
If anyone deserves the dancing banana, it would be you.
And just think, The Thread would live on!

the goat
09-19-2006, 22:47
What a ****ing terrible post for a summit post. I regret ever getting involved with this thread. I ruined the summit with some lame blather.

Sorry for ruining your hike, minnesotasmith.

LOL! maybe it was bad karma for giving me crap on the opening of the 100th page: :D

What a terrible way to open up teh 100th page.

Dances with Mice
09-19-2006, 22:56
The Thread made it to Katahdin! Decisions, decisions....

Do we yo-yo or continue north on the IAT?

Lugnut
09-19-2006, 23:31
I scored about even with Romano Prodi. I never heard of him but I'm betting he must have been some sort of genius! Unless, of course, he was Mussolini"s Chief of Staff, in which case I plan to retake the test when I'm more rested! :D

Trillium
09-19-2006, 23:33
Ha! That's a hoot!
I wound up somplace down around there, too.
Some kind of leftist libertarian, I am...
ARRRRRRGH! (we need a pirate smiley to insert here.:D)

~Darwinhere ya go http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/images/smilies/arrgh.gif

well, not sure that is going to work, but here's hoping.

mdionne
09-19-2006, 23:44
Don't feel like reading all the posts in this thread....

Here it is in a nutshell...

The notorious WBer named MinnesotaSmith finally started hiking in February.

Bets are placed.

MS complains about "placement of shelters".

MS complains about "placement of water sources"

MS manages to piss off a number of hikers and at least one hostel owner (not sure if this belongs earlier in or throughout the list).

MS complains about rocks in PA.

MS gets ill in NY skips ahead in Kent to Hanover and "will get that later".

MS complains about hut system in whites then stays in them repeatedly.

Thread goes astray.

MS complains about the rugged mountains of Maine, another skip ahead in question.

:rolleyes:

MS rarely mentions the beauty you see or the freedoms you feel on the trail.
After reading this thread over again, I'm not sure MS has learned much of anything from his hike.

It's too bad One Leg's hike wasn't followed more closely here on WB it was far more inspirational.

The Old Fhart
09-19-2006, 23:49
mdionne-"Here it is in a nutshell..."Really nice recap! You forgot to mention how many people this thread has taken away from the WWF.;)

Darwin again
09-19-2006, 23:59
AARRGgHHHHH!

Uncle Silly
09-20-2006, 00:04
113 pages of posts?!! dear goddess please tell me that's a WB record...

bfitz
09-20-2006, 00:08
I haven't missed any WWF. I have room in my life for both activities!

saimyoji
09-20-2006, 00:10
Challenge to all those following this thread:

We know MS is aware of this thread, DUH, he's posted here numerous times. My challenge to you ALL is: STOP POSTING HERE. Let's just wait and see if the old boy himself will come back and post. Anything else probably has more prudence elsewhere.

I'm sittin' here, drinking wine, eating cheese and catching some rays, man.
I just drive 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work, man.

But my favorite:
Crapgame: What's more important than 15 million bucks?
Oddbball: You come around about 8:00...we'll show ya!

"Thats my other dog immatation."

Somebody stop me....:banana:banana:banana

Darwin again
09-20-2006, 00:43
I'm just waiting for MS to post...

ODDBALL: Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.;)

RITBlake
09-20-2006, 00:45
lets see if this thread makes to Newfoundland on the IAT

Sly
09-20-2006, 06:04
LOL... worth repeating.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=246633&postcount=2241

mweinstone
09-20-2006, 07:44
minnisota smith not available in all staes, void where prohibited,may cause allergic reaction, not affiliated with the aclu, can be used as emergency flotation device, minnisota smith and ms are regestered trademarks of hasbro, may not be used in conjunction with other operating sysems, offer exspires oct 15th, send complaints to 2600 pennsylvania ave ,wash dc 34526, att, mr president, minnisota smiths resemblence to tushay turtle purly coincedentle,all minnisota smiths have been inspected at the factory and been found free of defects, minnisota smith excessory pack sold seperatly and may require additional weight/ freight charges, octapuss not included, free cuttlefish offer exspires 30 days from purchas, hasbro assumes no implied warrentys for fun, danger, choking hazzard, do not incinerate, leave in direct sun or dispose of improperly, minnisota smith is not a toy and is not recomended for small children.hasbro remindes you to talk responsibly.

Gray Blazer
09-20-2006, 08:07
Don't feel like reading all the posts in this thread....

Here it is in a nutshell...

The notorious WBer named MinnesotaSmith finally started hiking in February.

Bets are placed.

MS complains about "placement of shelters".

MS complains about "placement of water sources"

MS manages to piss off a number of hikers and at least one hostel owner (not sure if this belongs earlier in or throughout the list).

MS complains about rocks in PA.

MS gets ill in NY skips ahead in Kent to Hanover and "will get that later".

MS complains about hut system in whites then stays in them repeatedly.

Thread goes astray.

MS complains about the rugged mountains of Maine, another skip ahead in question.

:rolleyes:

MS rarely mentions the beauty you see or the freedoms you feel on the trail.
After reading this thread over again, I'm not sure MS has learned much of anything from his hike.

It's too bad One Leg's hike wasn't followed more closely here on WB it was far more inspirational.

Tell us how you really feel.

STEVEM
09-20-2006, 08:23
I like you too, mathewski.
Seriously, if you could somehow focus and distill and sell what you do here on this thread, you could make a million or at least fifty or so. Really.

On MS earier today:
"liver of dreams
dreamer of livers"

Peace.
~Darwin

Darwin, agreed, Weinstoner is the "Master of Spooneristic Wordification". A ture verbalistic genius. Should we expect less, he is the senior Whitehouse speechwriter.

Darwin again
09-20-2006, 09:08
Darwin, agreed, Weinstoner is the "Master of Spooneristic Wordification". A ture verbalistic genius. Should we expect less, he is the senior Whitehouse speechwriter.
LOL!!!!!:D:D

John B
09-20-2006, 10:01
This is my first post to this thread and I already regret writing it. Anyway, since no one else has asked about the picture posted by RIT, what's the blue thing around MS's face?

Darwin again
09-20-2006, 10:17
This is my first post to this thread and I already regret writing it. Anyway, since no one else has asked about the picture posted by RIT, what's the blue thing around MS's face?

That's GEAR. :D

(The head scarf is an old Bedouin trick...:cool:)

John B
09-20-2006, 10:30
Well, I assumed it wasn't, say, a decorative protective cover for a public toilet seat, which is sorta what it looks like, but what kinda gear? Something to keep rain from somehow blowing under a jacket??? I've never seen anyone wearing anything like that before... :-?

STEVEM
09-20-2006, 10:30

John, Hijab. The MS thru hike is dedicated to world peace and understanding. Welcome aboard.
http://www.alhannah.com/index2.html

MOWGLI
09-20-2006, 10:40
...what's the blue thing around MS's face?

It's the cone of silence. That explains why we haven't heard from him lately.

STEVEM
09-20-2006, 10:41
Well, I assumed it wasn't, say, a decorative protective cover for a public toilet seat, which is sorta what it looks like, but what kinda gear? Something to keep rain from somehow blowing under a jacket??? I've never seen anyone wearing anything like that before... :-?

John, Minnesota Smith is a single man. It would not be proper for the ladies on the trail to see his full face and hair. Only his wife may remove the veil in proper old world tradition.

STEVEM
09-20-2006, 10:52

John, He does carry his own personal toilet seat. For future reference, it is stored in his pack: level #6, compartment D, container H-1. Right next to six rolls of TP.

SGT Rock
09-20-2006, 10:57
I'm just waiting for MS to post...

ODDBALL: Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.;)

I love that Darwin again! I watched that last night and I was thinking the same thing. What a great signature.

Whatever you say babe. :cool:

Dances with Mice
09-20-2006, 11:26
While we're waiting....

Tanks by the palace
Prime Minister in New York
The King said O.K.

Thai Coup poem.

Ender
09-20-2006, 11:37
A haiku. Nice.

Ender at his desk
He's not working very hard
White Blaze wastes his time

Ender
09-20-2006, 11:38
Is a good way, I mean...:)

STEVEM
09-20-2006, 11:51
DWM, Any plans for a celebration for MS when this is all over? In addition to his family and WB friends, You might want to invite some of his pre-Y2K associates: http://www.webhamster.com/

Dances with Mice
09-20-2006, 12:43
DWM, Any plans for a celebration for MS when this is all over? In addition to his family and WB friends, You might want to invite some of his pre-Y2K associates: http://www.webhamster.com/

My annual Dutch Oven cooking and leaf watching event will be in late October, that's how we first met 3 years ago. But I don't think he'll be finished in time. I'm sure we'll have a post hike get-together and I'm really looking forward to it.