PDA

View Full Version : MinnesotaSmith Update

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Dances with Mice
02-19-2006, 18:24
He's at Woody Gap today. Said he got a touch dehydrated one day and took a zero at Gooch Mtn. shelter. Sounded in good spirits. He's hoping to connect with the Hiker Hostel for tonight.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2006, 20:57
20some miles out and he's looking for a hostel.:rolleyes: 1 in 25 chance.

MOWGLI
02-19-2006, 21:02
It's nice that you're looking after him DWM. You are truly one of the nicest folks I have ever met on any trail at any time. And I mean that - 100%.

Dances with Mice
02-19-2006, 21:58
So I should cancel my plans to raise funds for Whiteblaze by selling t-shirts with a cartoon of Prophet Muhammed hiking the AT?

Nean
02-19-2006, 22:04
I'm sure he will love thier dog. Watch out Maggie!!:eek:

And then there is Neel Gap!

Skidsteer
02-19-2006, 22:34
I'm sure he will love thier dog. Watch out Maggie!!:eek:

And then there is Neel Gap!

Wonder how he feels about frisbees?!:eek:
Best of luck to you, Minnesota:) .

minnesotasmith
02-19-2006, 22:42
It's a VERY nice place, with people to match.

FYI, Lone Wolf, I started at Amicalola, making it to Black Gap shelter the first night, about 7 miles. There was snow alongside the Trail (and often on it) almost the whole way from the Falls to over a mile past Stover Creek shelter. Yesterday I hiked in sleet for about 90 minutes, and in freezing rain for four hours. I heard that there is 3 feet of snow in the Smokies right now, with some hikers stuck at Fontana and Erwin. I'm carrying a tarptent, so even though I've got a 0-degree bag (spent 13 hours in it last night), won't camp in subfreezing temps if I can avoid it right now (I've never hidden being a shelter weenie). Too, I preferred not to try to make the ~11.6 miles from Gooch to Woods Hole in a single shot, as 8 or so is my upper limit right now, with a pack with winter gear and the conditions, not to mention my not-yet-gone gut.

I've met in person these thruhikers: Red Blaze, Sunset, Trek (on his 4th thru -- great guy, talked with him for hours), a young couple (no trail names yet) from Connecticut (the girl was named Elizabeth), Lone Star & another guy from WhiteBlaze (trail name starts with G or B), and one other guy. There's a guy named Bruno from Germany I've twice missed by one day. Anyway, my clothes are done washing, and it's time to attend them.

My hiking staff is working out like a charm, DWM. :)

T-Mobil cell phone (likely getting mailed home at Neels) worked on top of Springer, and at Woody Gap, and that has been it so far.

Good night, all.

Tha Wookie
02-19-2006, 22:51
Good going, MN! Keep it up!

Wookie

minnesotasmith
02-19-2006, 22:56
Encouragement never hurts.

That other thruhiker I met was Crutch. He broke a heel bone on his thru attempt up in PA last year, and is trying again this year. Nice guy, knowledgeable about the Trail, and a fast hiker.

minnesotasmith
02-19-2006, 22:58
No mosquitos/gnats/chimpmunks/bears/flying squirrels/raccoons so far, and very little mouse activity in the shelters I've been in.

TOW
02-19-2006, 23:36
minnesotasmith, i wouldn't worry too much what ole lone wolf has to say...through his discouraging words he may help you to want to do it that much more........it's his form of reverse psychosis.........

Blue Jay
02-20-2006, 11:18
He's at Woody Gap today. Said he got a touch dehydrated one day and took a zero at Gooch Mtn. shelter. Sounded in good spirits. He's hoping to connect with the Hiker Hostel for tonight.

Thank you DWM. It's an important service for many of us to know exactly where and when not to hike this year.

neo
02-20-2006, 11:21

your right :cool: neo

neo
02-20-2006, 11:24

FYI, Lone Wolf, I started at Amicalola, making it to Black Gap shelter the first night, about 7 miles. There was snow alongside the Trail (and often on it) almost the whole way from the Falls to over a mile past Stover Creek shelter. Yesterday I hiked in sleet for about 90 minutes, and in freezing rain for four hours. I heard that there is 3 feet of snow in the Smokies right now, with some hikers stuck at Fontana and Erwin. I'm carrying a tarptent, so even though I've got a 0-degree bag (spent 13 hours in it last night), won't camp in subfreezing temps if I can avoid it right now (I've never hidden being a shelter weenie). Too, I preferred not to try to make the ~11.6 miles from Gooch to Woods Hole in a single shot, as 8 or so is my upper limit right now, with a pack with winter gear and the conditions, not to mention my not-yet-gone gut.

I've met in person these thruhikers: Red Blaze, Sunset, Trek (on his 4th thru -- great guy, talked with him for hours), a young couple (no trail names yet) from Connecticut (the girl was named Elizabeth), Lone Star & another guy from WhiteBlaze (trail name starts with G or B), and one other guy. There's a guy named Bruno from Germany I've twice missed by one day. Anyway, my clothes are done washing, and it's time to attend them.

My hiking staff is working out like a charm, DWM. :)

T-Mobil cell phone (likely getting mailed home at Neels) worked on top of Springer, and at Woody Gap, and that has been it so far.

Good night, all.

t-mobile sucks,i have used my cingular from georgia to newhampshire so far:cool: neo

neo
02-20-2006, 11:26
good luck minn.smith,hope ya make it dude,:cool: neo

Teatime
02-20-2006, 21:16
Keep on truckin'!

awol
02-20-2006, 21:41
Originally Posted by L. Wolf
30 second laugh on that!!!

digger51
02-20-2006, 21:55
Hang in there Minnesota..remember that you are doing more than 99.999% of the people in the country. And you are doing it in lousy weather.

weary
02-20-2006, 22:12
Hang in there Minnesota..remember that you are doing more than 99.999% of the people in the country. And you are doing it in lousy weather.
Yup. Absolutely true. Which is why I think April 1 is probably the ideal start date. There's little, realistically, to limit what dedicated humans can do. But the wisest among us don't go out of our way to make things more difficult. MS. You are on your way. Stick with it. But truly take your time. There is no rush. Katahdin will remain, now, as forever, "the mountain of the people of Maine.": Percival Baxter..

Weary

Nean
02-21-2006, 01:31
But the wisest among us don't go out of our way to make things more difficult.

Weary

I believe that to be an opinion and far from fact. To each their own.

freefall
02-21-2006, 02:02
I believe that to be an opinion and far from fact. To each their own.

Exactly.

Starting in 5 days and hope it snows!

digger51
02-21-2006, 02:05
Best of luck to you Freefall. I hope I dont see you along the way. That would mean something bad happened to you or I am moving too fast. Walk well and be safe.

freefall
02-21-2006, 02:08
Best of luck to you Freefall. I hope I dont see you along the way. That would mean something bad happened to you or I am moving too fast. Walk well and be safe.

Thanks, and you have a great hike as well!

Two Speed
02-21-2006, 10:16
Count me as one of those people who doesn't really like MS all that much, but at least he's out there giving it a shot, so let's cut the guy a break and see what happens.

MS, wherever you are, I still think you've got your head up your keister, but I wish you the best of luck and Happy Trails.

orangebug
02-21-2006, 11:17
I thought L Wolf's comment was simply a "double dog dare."

I look forward to what he thinks about 11 mile days in a couple of weeks.

Alligator
02-21-2006, 12:22
Best of luck to you MS. Hope you come to appreciate the harmony that is orchestrated by the wind, the rain, the rocks, the trees, the people, and all things associated with this path through the woods.

general
02-21-2006, 15:23

sniff, sniff, snivel, snivel. hiked from springer to neel gap in two days a couple of weeks ago, using an 8x10 tarp. some snow and sleet with freezing temps in mid afternoon. oh, and both the dog and i freakin' loved every minute of it. welcome to north georgia. not to worry though, i'm sure they have the heat on in the hostel for you at neel gap. happy hikin', watch out for those damn trail pooches, and best of luck. you're gonna need it.

saimyoji
02-21-2006, 18:00
How often is MS shaving, I wonder. :rolleyes:

The Solemates
02-21-2006, 18:04
sniff, sniff, snivel, snivel. hiked from springer to neel gap in two days a couple of weeks ago, using an 8x10 tarp. some snow and sleet with freezing temps in mid afternoon. oh, and both the dog and i freakin' loved every minute of it. welcome to north georgia. not to worry though, i'm sure they have the heat on in the hostel for you at neel gap. happy hikin', watch out for those damn trail pooches, and best of luck. you're gonna need it.

yea i thought his original post was a little different myself. we had temps below 0F on our thru in N GA.

The Solemates
02-21-2006, 18:05
and i love the way you threw in the dog comments general :)

ARambler
02-21-2006, 19:30
MS arrived at Neels Gap just before store closed at 5:00pm. today 2/21.
Rambler

Lone Wolf
02-21-2006, 19:41
Is he doing something special that we need an update every 10 miles as to his whereabouts?:-?

Hikerhead
02-21-2006, 19:49
I would like to see a picture of the Legend himself...preferably with a dog chasing after him. But I wish him the best of luck also.

Tha Wookie
02-21-2006, 20:03

Yeah, I bet the scariest part is all those liberals in the flesh that don't mind the cold so much.

MOWGLI
02-21-2006, 20:11
I have a bear suit and plan to don it and hike south from Tesnatee Gap starting in the AM. I have an extra Rottweiller costume if anyone wants to join me. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
02-21-2006, 20:12
He's probably taking a "0" tomorrow. Been a tough 30 miles.:D

neo
02-21-2006, 20:18
Is he doing something special that we need an update every 10 miles as to his whereabouts?:-?

f--kin- cool aint lonewolf,25 to 1:cool: neo

neo
02-21-2006, 20:19
He's probably taking a "0" tomorrow. Been a tough 30 miles.:D

maybe he will need 2 zero days lonwolf 25 to 1:cool: neo

Hikerhead
02-21-2006, 20:25
I have a bear suit and plan to don it and hike south from Tesnatee Gap starting in the AM. I have an extra Rottweiller costume if anyone wants to join me. :rolleyes:

Add a dress to that bear suit. That would surely send him back to the hostel. :)

ed bell
02-21-2006, 20:26

No, I would say not; but after 1100 posts , his bail out on last years plans, his exhaustive posts on everything under the sun, and his claim to being used to very cold conditions, I imagine people are curious about his progress. Since he started early, and most people who drop out do so before they hit NC, I can see why we are getting the "play by play". Oh well. Like I said before: ain't scrutiny a bitch?:D

neo
02-21-2006, 20:29
No, I would say not; but after 1100 posts , his bail out on last years plans, his exhaustive posts on everything under the sun, and his claim to being used to very cold conditions, I imagine people are curious about his progress. Since he started early, and most people who drop out do so before they hit NC, I can see why we are getting the "play by play". Oh well. Like I said before: ain't scrutiny a bitch?:D

25 to 1 :cool: neo

Dances with Mice
02-21-2006, 21:14
25 to 1 :cool: neoI keep seeing these odds...and I'll take them.

I'll put down a $10 donation to Whiteblaze if he makes it. I'll take on the first 4 to bet against him, I'll even let you pick the odds. Lone Wolf and Neo have already given theirs.

A potential $40 donation to Whiteblaze.net is in the balance, against donations of about $1000 if he kisses the Katahdin sign - unless the odds start getting lower when real dough's on the line.

Step right up, don't start getting shy now. Show me the money!

Who's first?

Lone Wolf
02-21-2006, 21:15
He'll yellow blaze.

Dances with Mice
02-21-2006, 21:22
He'll yellow blaze.Yellow blaze, I lose. So you're in? 25-1?

TOW
02-21-2006, 21:27
hey lone wolf, what if blue blazes along with the yellow and an occasional whiteblaze..............you think that might count???????

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2006, 21:30
Hey guys, I realize that because of some of his posts, and sometimes his strident tone, that Smitty wasn't the most popular person here at Whiteblaze.

But am I the only one who thinks that openly betting on someone's chances of success or failure on the Trail is more than a little mean-spirited?

After all, say what you like about him, but at least he's out there, and in February, too. Whether he makes it to Maine or not, the very fact that he IS out there, while the rest of us are sitting somewhere warm and toasty in front of a computer, ought to score him some points, and maybe a little more respect.

Personally, I have no idea if he's gonna make it or not. But even if I did have some kind of insider knowledge or speculation, I'd probably keep it to myself.
Whether or not he stays the course is mainly up to him. For folks here at WB to be guessing---or betting---over his chances seems kind of unseemly, but maybe that's just me.

neo
02-21-2006, 21:30
He'll yellow blaze.

25 to 1:cool: neo

neo
02-21-2006, 21:31
He'll yellow blaze.

maybe he will brown blaze with shank and quest
still 25 to 1.:cool: neo

TOW
02-21-2006, 21:37
Is he doing something special that we need an update every 10 miles as to his whereabouts?:-?yes, he is a scientist you know...........there are two types of people who will probably never do a complete thru and those are the thinkers and the ones who want to be totally recognized as this is the greatest adventure of my lifetime and "you need to know about it"........................

Dances with Mice
02-21-2006, 21:45
But am I the only one who thinks that openly betting on someone's chances of success or failure on the Trail is more than a little mean-spirited? ... Whether or not he stays the course is mainly up to him. For folks here at WB to be guessing---or betting---over his chances seems kind of unseemly, but maybe that's just me. I agree, I was trying to make the point that talk is cheap. The bottom line is that as of this moment, despite the odds being thrown around, nobody is willing to bet against him.

MOWGLI
02-21-2006, 21:51
I hope he makes it and the experience is transformational.

TOW
02-21-2006, 21:52
Hey guys, I realize that because of some of his posts, and sometimes his strident tone, that Smitty wasn't the most popular person here at Whiteblaze.

But am I the only one who thinks that openly betting on someone's chances of success or failure on the Trail is more than a little mean-spirited?

After all, say what you like about him, but at least he's out there, and in February, too. Whether he makes it to Maine or not, the very fact that he IS out there, while the rest of us are sitting somewhere warm and toasty in front of a computer, ought to score him some points, and maybe a little more respect.

Personally, I have no idea if he's gonna make it or not. But even if I did have some kind of insider knowledge or speculation, I'd probably keep it to myself.
Whether or not he stays the course is mainly up to him. For folks here at WB to be guessing---or betting---over his chances seems kind of unseemly, but maybe that's just me.your right bj, we shouldn't be pantering the guy..................you know though , i think he's gonna show 'em up........

ed bell
02-21-2006, 22:03
I hope he makes it and the experience is transformational.

I'll second that, and to me this is really the important part of his hike that has nothing to do with the bit of fun seen in this thread. Lets face it, its refreshing to get a few good natured jabs in at MS after all his 1100 posts. He's hiking, so we don't have to endure his long winded replies.;) As to laying odds? I imagine MS laughing about that. We reap what we sow.

ed bell
02-21-2006, 22:04
Oh, and good luck MS, I hope you have a great journey.:sun

Old Spice
02-21-2006, 22:16
Like him or hate him... he's already out there... and I am stuck here with a month to go! Good luck MS.*** the naysayers.

Fiddler
02-21-2006, 22:18
25 to 1 neo

The bottom line is that as of this moment, despite the odds being thrown around, nobody is willing to bet against him.
I got 5 bucks says he don't. And I never even met him. Who am I betting with, L. Wolf or Neo?

Dances with Mice
02-21-2006, 22:24
I also want to throw out the thought that it's possible - only possible, mind you - that some people have signed onto Whiteblaze and created on-line personalities that bear little resemblence to their real-life pesonas. In other words, their on-line forum time was a performance art.

Trolling is another term for it.

Imagine the chagrin of the rubes suckered into that bit of play-acting!

This post may be completely off-topic.

Maybe. So, back on topic. $10 a shot here! Funny how many mouths are open until people are asked to stick money into them, isn't it?

Dances with Mice
02-21-2006, 22:26
I got 5 bucks says he don't. And I never even met him. Who am I betting with, L. Wolf or Neo?You're betting me. So you want 0.5 to 1 odds? Not even willing to post even money? Boy, those odds against MS sure have have fallen fast! They've dropped 50-fold in one hour!

You're on. That's one. Three more slots available. Next?

bigmac_in
02-21-2006, 22:35

Whether or not he stays the course is mainly up to him. For folks here at WB to be guessing---or betting---over his chances seems kind of unseemly, but maybe that's just me.

You're a good man, Jack, well said!

max patch
02-21-2006, 22:51
I'm not MS -- thank goodness for that -- but if I was MS and someone bet against me and I quit -- I believe I'd be sitting at home sitting in my lazyboy recliner with a beer in one hand and the Companion in the other and type "updates" until I "summitted."

And I won't even mention that about 99% of those who report their hike to the ATC haven't met the requirements for doing so.

Dances with Mice
02-21-2006, 23:00
Right now the board's odds are in his favor 2-1. He'd make more money for Whiteblaze by dropping out than finishing.

Skidsteer
02-21-2006, 23:07
I keep seeing these odds...and I'll take them.

I'll put down a $10 donation to Whiteblaze if he makes it. I'll take on the first 4 to bet against him, I'll even let you pick the odds. Lone Wolf and Neo have already given theirs.

A potential $40 donation to Whiteblaze.net is in the balance, against donations of about $1000 if he kisses the Katahdin sign - unless the odds start getting lower when real dough's on the line.

Step right up, don't start getting shy now. Show me the money!

Who's first?

Trail magic insinuates itself into cyberspace. I love it! Cool avatar, Dances.:)

saimyoji
02-21-2006, 23:25
3-1 says he grows some kind of facial hair during his hike.

Isn't this a warm-up for his Alaska journey? I'd say him having the determination to finish is without question. Whether luck counts him out is another story.

Personally, I'm a little jealous I'm not out there.

GO MS!!

Teatime
02-22-2006, 02:00
Jack is right. I would add that we shouldn't judge someone by some posts they have made here on Whiteblaze. Give the guy a break and lets offer him some encouragement and support. I offer him my best wishes for his success.

Heater
02-22-2006, 02:19
I'm not MS -- thank goodness for that -- but if I was MS and someone bet against me and I quit -- I believe I'd be sitting at home sitting in my lazyboy recliner with a beer in one hand and the Companion in the other and type "updates" until I "summitted."

And I won't even mention that about 99% of those who report their hike to the ATC haven't met the requirements for doing so.

You maybe on to something. Maybe DWM is Minnie Smith, has been all along and he he just trying to pull one over on us all! Hmmmmmmm....
:-? :-? :-?

Pretty slick, DWM! :D

Nean
02-22-2006, 05:39

Switch WF for MS and Handbook for Companion; wait 6 months and hang the certificate on your wall. Been there, seen that

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 08:33

Actually, after Earl, I hear your were only the 5th person to ever hike the entire trail. That number allegedly stands at less than 10 today. ;)

otterman
02-22-2006, 08:58
It would only motivate me all the more if you were betting that I wouldn't make it.

Two Speed
02-22-2006, 09:38
Well, it seems we can add MS to guns, cell phones, dogs, trail shelters and lekis as subjects that get long winded, pointless threads going. In a weird way that does make MS a trail legend, along with Wing Foot and Warren Doyle, which ain't bad seeing as he hasn't even gotten out of Georgia yet.

In light of the fact that I'm participating in this, are those 25:1 odds* still available? I agree that betting against another WhiteBlazer is unseemly, but seeing as WhiteBlaze is the beneficiary I'm contemplating being unseemly.

BTW, any time limit for completion, and who certifies the "purity" of MS's hike?

*I was screwing around with my remodeling project last night and missed the 25:1 offer; would appreciate consideration of the fact that I try to have a life.

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 09:48
BTW, any time limit for completion, and who certifies the "purity" of MS's hike?

I bet he finishes - pure as the driven snow. That'll make him only the 9th person ever to walk the entire trail. Quite an elite group really. ;)

Two Speed
02-22-2006, 09:51
I bet he finishes - pure as the driven snow. That'll make him only the 9th person ever to walk the entire trail. Quite an elite group really. ;)First, the "driven snow" crack really is below the belt; pretty close to something I might say.:p

Next, are you taking up the 25:1 challenge? Make it a six months for completion and I'll even let you do the certifying.:banana

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 10:06
Next, are you taking up the 25:1 challenge? Make it a six months for completion and I'll even let you do the certifying.:banana

Who me? I bet against Secretariat and Seattle Slew. Never again.

Dances with Mice
02-22-2006, 13:44
In light of the fact that I'm participating in this, are those 25:1 odds* still available? ... BTW, any time limit for completion, and who certifies the "purity" of MS's hike?...There are still 3 openings, the rules haven't changed. Name your own odds and your donation base.

So call 25:1 and bet a buck. If he drops out I owe WB $10. If he makes it you owe $25. None of the previous oddsmakers believe their own opinions to be worth a single cent.

The consensus of the board will be used to judge purity if that becomes an issue. I'm easy, it's not worth arguing about so if push comes to shove I'll declare you the winner and donate my $10.

But we can beat that bridge to death when we come to it.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 14:28
I never bet for or against him. I just said he has a 1 in 25 hikers chance of making it .

mdionne
02-22-2006, 14:31
MS,
i took my time time when i started out too. don't listen no the naysayers. i went to the hospital in dahlonega (sp?) and went back to the trail after a three day break. i hiked probably 6 or 8 miles a day when i started. and i finished too. it's a mental/physical game for about a month, then it's all mental from there. so take your time see the sites. i've battled with you several times here on WB and i can't say that i would ever want to hike with you but i wanted to let you know that i think you'll make it. keep walking cause that's all it is, is walking. keep posting and i'll meet you in maine with some trail magic. good luck.

Fiddler
02-22-2006, 14:58
I bet against you simply because of the odds against completion are 20 or 25 to one for various reasons. Like the previous poster, I too would have no desire to hike with you because of some of your past posts if they represent the true you. However, I will also wish you luck on your hike, and I honestly hope you succeed in it. An acheivement like this is really something to be proud of. All you have to do now is one more day. Every night when you bed down, it is just one more day.

neo
02-22-2006, 15:45
I never bet for or against him. I just said he has a 1 in 25 hikers chance of making it .

that will work lol:cool: neo

Two Speed
02-22-2006, 15:50
There are still 3 openings, the rules haven't changed. Name your own odds and your donation base.

So call 25:1 and bet a buck. If he drops out I owe WB $10. If he makes it you owe $25. None of the previous oddsmakers believe their own opinions to be worth a single cent.

The consensus of the board will be used to judge purity if that becomes an issue. I'm easy, it's not worth arguing about so if push comes to shove I'll declare you the winner and donate my $10.

But we can beat that bridge to death when we come to it.Nay, nay, my friend, you put up the $250 and I'll put up the $10. I'll sweeten the deal by agreeing to abide by your judgement of the purity of the hike.

In considering this wager please allow that I am a civil engineer laboring for a local public works department, receiving a pittance for my efforts, and am the owner a condo in very poor health. ;)

Trail Yeti
02-22-2006, 16:39
Dances with Mice,
I'll take your bet for a buck and I'll even sweeten the deal. No matter whether he makes it or not I'll still donate to Whiteblaze. here's the deal:
25:1 and bet a buck. If he drops out I owe WB $10. If he makes it you owe $25. Even if he doesn't make it I'll donate $1 per state that he makes it to, with a minimum donation of $5. Whiteblaze wins at least $15 no matter what!:banana

I don't know MS, and haven't read all of his posts, but what I've read I don't necessarily agree with. However, I hope he makes it....especially if he's been planning a long time.

MS- Best of luck to you, I hope you make it. Hopefully when the going gets tough you think of my silly bet and it gives you strength to finish. Maybe I'll see you on the trail when I get out there....but you won't like hiking with me, because I'm bringing my DOG:cool: :eek: :D

Trail Yeti
02-22-2006, 16:40
Whoops, that should read YOU owe $10, and I owe $25....I'm confused....hopefully you understand what I mean.

passinBYE
02-22-2006, 22:08
I would like to know where is he at...I now live about 3 miles from Dennis Cove...and would love to walk a stretch northward with him if he has not already passed me bye...

MOWGLI
02-22-2006, 22:11
I would like to know where is he at...I now live about 3 miles from Dennis Cove...and would love to walk a stretch northward with him if he has not already passed me bye...

He is more than 350 miles south of you. You have a good while to wait.

passinBYE
02-22-2006, 22:19
I was getting lost....in everything else this thread has become...

hawkeye
02-23-2006, 08:08
I haven't been on the whiteblaze in awhile. Found myself giving too much time at the pros and cons of a TI cup vs plastic. Well I'm back planning to hike this spring and went on the site to check out any new info and try to find a trail buddy maybe...and I read 5 pages on a guy who hiked 20 miles! At least he is out there doing it. I'm going to take a walk in the woods now with my dog. She does not care what color or weight her leash is.

rumbler
02-23-2006, 09:14
He's got a backpack on. Beats what I have on tap today.

I wish the guy luck. Regardless of what any of us may post here, getting to take the time and money to undertake a long trek is a luxury in life. Hostels, zero days, walking your way into shape are all part of that experience. A different part for each of us to be sure, but if or when he makes Maine his pace during the first week will not be important.

Additionally, as long as we are talking about making it to Maine, my experience is limited to a paltry one data set but I would suggest that I saw more people fail to hike what they wanted to on the AT because they started out either too fast and gung-ho and burned out down the road, or made bad decisions regarding their physical abilities followed by poor management of weather, shelters and recuperation periods. As such, the fact that he is listening to his body and making rational judgements on what he is and is not capable or prepared to do at this juncture may actually be a positive harbinger for the remainder of his trip and his hiking outlook.

AbeHikes
02-23-2006, 19:56
In '91 when I was a young Marine in Monterey, I entered the Big Sur International Marathon. Had never run a long distance before. Some of my "buddies" in the platoon did the same thing that is going on here in regards to my finishing. Very motivating. At that point, I had no choice. Felt obligated to deliver the big "F you". I was pleased to come back and truthfully report a 4:18 time with witnesses.

Vocalized doubt is good fuel.

Skidsteer
02-23-2006, 20:06
In '91 when I was a young Marine in Monterey, I entered the Big Sur International Marathon. Had never run a long distance before. Some of my "buddies" in the platoon did the same thing that is going on here in regards to my finishing. Very motivating. At that point, I had no choice. Felt obligated to deliver the big "F you". I was pleased to come back and truthfully report a 4:18 time with witnesses.

Vocalized doubt is good fuel to folks like you and, I admit, me. To others it can become a festering emotional wound that never heals. I truly hope that MS is motivated by it and makes his hike exactly what he wanted it to be.

Speaking of updates, anybody know where he's at now? Dances?

saimyoji
02-23-2006, 20:12

Hmmm.... in that case....

MS you suck, give up, you'll never make it. I bet you've got a full beard by now you overgrown blowhard. Look at us laughing at you!! HAHA:D Go home now before you get yourself hurt. There are serious hikers out there, you're only getting in the way. WB has hired a pack of unleashed dogs to track you down and harass you for the rest of the trip. Oh yeah, and the car you left at the trailhead has been stolen by Amazonian lesbians who are on their way to your house to turn it into HQ for their porn ring.

Did that motivate you?

Keep on keepin' on.:cool:

Teatime
02-23-2006, 20:33
I have the personal pledge of Hillary Clinton that she promises not to run for president if MS completes his through hike. She, incidentaly, is betting against him. Her, Teddy Kennedy, Chucky Shumer, John Kerry and Al Gore are all bad mouthing MS on CNN tonight. It's just shameful. Larry King has even invited them on to discuss MS's thru-hike and why it must be stopped! Howard Dean has even sent out "Talking Points" aimed at the destruction of MS's thru-hike.
Now, MS, if this doesn't motivate you...............:banana

Nean
02-24-2006, 00:00
I was in Mountain Crossings today when a man who was mailing back some extra gear explained to 'bread that he was leaving his bearspray (not to be mailed) and then I caught- (close qoute) - I heard you need to save some spray after the dog for the owner. I knew I was looking at MS. I had an interesting chat with ol' MS. I wasn't on his radar, which was nice. He sure knows a lot of stuff. I'm no good at picking finishers, but the odds didn't look good. He's green fer sure and thats his smallest worry. But he is trying and if there is anyone that a thruhike would do wonders for, it is this man. I hope he ends up on Katahdin- a new man.:sun

TOW
02-24-2006, 00:07
we were all green once...........

Alligator
02-24-2006, 00:23
we were all green once...........
I've been green a few times. Then pale white. I usually felt better after Ralf showed up.

Sly
02-24-2006, 00:32
He's green fer sure and thats his smallest worry. But he is trying and if there is anyone that a thruhike would do wonders for, it is this man. I hope he ends up on Katahdin- a new man.

Yeah it would a shame if the trail didn't change him! ;)

Nean
02-24-2006, 07:20
I never said there was anything wrong w/ being green, I am aware that we all start somewhere. I think he should of spent more time training and less typing though. When I see someone his age in his condition I only hope that they don't kill themselves. He has got to be hurting. I wish him well. The 300 to 1 odds Warren gave Squeaky look good compared to the odds I'd give MS.

neo
02-24-2006, 09:50
I never said there was anything wrong w/ being green, I am aware that we all start somewhere. I think he should of spent more time training and less typing though. When I see someone his age in his condition I only hope that they don't kill themselves. He has got to be hurting. I wish him well. The 300 to 1 odds Warren gave Squeaky look good compared to the odds I'd give MS.

i heard he is carrying 6 liters of water an was arguing with other hikers when they told him hed did not need 6 liters of water at a time.the guy is going to hurt himself,i calculated the odds 500 to 1,he will not make it:cool: neo

Tha Wookie
02-24-2006, 10:09

Great post. You shold repost in the 2006/7 prep threads!!

Two Speed
02-24-2006, 10:42
i heard he is carrying 6 liters of water an was arguing with other hikers when they told him hed did not need 6 liters of water at a time.the guy is going to hurt himself,i calculated the odds 500 to 1,he will not make it:cool: neoNeo, where did you get that? If I understand correctly, MS has done the Georgia section, so he really ought to know better than to think he needs 6 litres. However, the arguing part does sound like the MS we know and love . . . :-?

Well, that would explain the low mileage, but surely that story got "improved" in the telling.

neo
02-24-2006, 11:06
Neo, where did you get that? If I understand correctly, MS has done the Georgia section, so he really ought to know better than to think he needs 6 litres. However, the arguing part does sound like the MS we know and love . . . :-?

Well, that would explain the low mileage, but surely that story got "improved" in the telling.

i am a grammeton cleric i have spys every were:cool: neo

Alligator
02-24-2006, 11:08
i heard he is carrying 6 liters of water an was arguing with other hikers when they told him hed did not need 6 liters of water at a time.the guy is going to hurt himself,i calculated the odds 500 to 1,he will not make it:cool: neo
You guys keep talking smack about the guy. DWM isn't in this morning, I'll take those odds Neo. Same deal. Put up some money. 10 cents to ten dollars.

Funny you should even be against the guy Neo, he shares a lot of the same crap ideas on immigration you do. You two should be buddies:cool: .

neo
02-24-2006, 11:11
You guys keep talking smack about the guy. DWM isn't in this morning, I'll take those odds Neo. Same deal. Put up some money. 10 cents to ten dollars.

Funny you should even be against the guy Neo, he shares a lot of the same crap ideas on immigration you do. You two should be buddies:cool: .

whatever:cool: neo

max patch
02-24-2006, 11:14

I'll pay attention to the thru-hiker completion odds neo sets once neo actually does a thru-hike.

rumbler
02-24-2006, 11:14

Reminiscent of Lone Wolf from 2003. I think he finally got down to 60 pounds for the Whites. Carried a set of broken hiking poles hundreds of miles.

And made Kathadin, FWIW.

Alligator
02-24-2006, 11:15
You too Nean. Ten cents to ten dollars, same deal--money going to WB. Odds already selected. Since you are wishing him well, it would be nice if you put him up for a night when he passes by:sun .

max patch
02-24-2006, 11:17

I hope MS makes it. But really, LW really said all that needs to be said way back in post number 32.

Alligator
02-24-2006, 11:19
Meow Meow
That's what I thought.

Fiddler
02-24-2006, 12:14
I hope MS makes it. But really, LW really said all that needs to be said way back in post number 32.Referring to
Is he doing something special that we need an update every 10 miles as to his whereabouts?This is getting to be an interesting thread. Anyone that knows facts about his progress please keep the updates coming. Let us know about his screw-ups too. (I don't want to admit it, but I am cheering him on down deep inside).

Since you are wishing him well, it would be nice if you put him up for a night when he passes by .For anyone close enough to the trail, and would want to show support, that would be about the nicest offering anyone could make.

Heater
02-24-2006, 13:32

Hey, I am for the guy staying on the trail as long as possible and all the way to Big K but if you wanna bet 10 bucks to Whiteblaze, straight up, whether he finishes or not... I'll go with it. I'll take the "not to Big K" side.

Deal?

Alligator
02-24-2006, 14:22
Hey, I am for the guy staying on the trail as long as possible and all the way to Big K but if you wanna bet 10 bucks to Whiteblaze, straight up, whether he finishes or not... I'll go with it. I'll take the "not to Big K" side.

Deal?

I'm not of the same sentiment as DWM on odds. I like honest bets and a good return on my money. I'd be short-changing WB with a bet like that. I have a small pool of money to work with here. No offense to MS, but there is an extremely small group of individuals that rate a 50/50 chance. Besides, if you're all for the guy making it, you could put that ten dollars to better use by betting for him. I sense a little disingenuousness;) . Counter offer?

Dances with Mice
02-24-2006, 16:44
I just flew in from Philly (...and yes, my arms ARE tired...) and I haven't had time to diagram out the pool status. Cool to see he made it to Neels! And sending home his bearspray? So he's learning...

Many are hoping that the experience is good for him. I know he agrees. Maybe it's the magical attraction the Trail has for those souls at crossroads during periods of transition in their lives. I wish him success and hope he finds what he's looking for, no matter how many miles he hikes.

Having met him, I know he has a stubborn streak. Nean even commented on it. I think he'll learn to channel it, and I think he's going to make it. I'm still willing to bet on it.

And then there's my hidden agenda: raising a few bucks for Whiteblaze and calling attention to one of our own on-line family, even if some would disown him, who is out there going for it. Hey, equal opportunitist that I am...I'm willing to start another donation pool betting AGAINST Squeaky breaking the AT speed record.

I admit I've lost track of the various proposals. Would all who are willing to put down a donation mind restating and summarizing their offer?

Alligator
02-24-2006, 17:06
Was in Philly just a few weeks back myself. I am willing to equal your $40.00 limit DWM on a case by case proposal of the odds, with bets in the $0.10 to $10.00 range per person. All "winnings" go to WB. Please take into account I am wagering in favor of MS completing the trail.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2006, 17:15
I'm sure you guys think this is just hysterically funny.

I hope you all are accorded similar respect from your peers if and when you guys go hiking in February.

Alligator
02-24-2006, 17:50
I'm sure you guys think this is just hysterically funny.

I hope you all are accorded similar respect from your peers if and when you guys go hiking in February.
No, I don't think it is hysterically funny Jack. I'm betting for the guy. That is no small indication of my support. If folks want to make the guy feel small, at least put some money up. Talk is cheap.

If I ever get the chance, I'll take all bets myself:cool: .

P.S. You lost me $20 last year. Remind me to pay LW for that blue blaze. J/K

leeki pole
02-24-2006, 18:03

:-? A 4:18 with no distance training? Was one of the witnesses a Champion Chip? I have a hard time buying this post. But if you really pulled this off, you do have my respect, although it wasn't a very wise endeavor.

Dances with Mice
02-24-2006, 18:13
Funny? Well, no. I think this thread has uncovered a streak of support and respect for Minnesota that would otherwise have remained buried.

general
02-24-2006, 18:25
I was in Mountain Crossings today when a man who was mailing back some extra gear explained to 'bread that he was leaving his bearspray (not to be mailed) and then I caught- (close qoute) - I heard you need to save some spray after the dog for the owner. I knew I was looking at MS. I had an interesting chat with ol' MS. I wasn't on his radar, which was nice. He sure knows a lot of stuff. I'm no good at picking finishers, but the odds didn't look good. He's green fer sure and thats his smallest worry. But he is trying and if there is anyone that a thruhike would do wonders for, it is this man. I hope he ends up on Katahdin- a new man.:sun

that's one hell of a place to make dog nazi cracks. i'm sure that went over like a fart in church.

Fiddler
02-24-2006, 18:28
Funny? Well, no. I think this thread has uncovered a streak of support and respect for Minnesota that would otherwise have remained buried.Yes, it is a little funny. Some parts anyway. As I stated way back I wouldn't care to hike any distance with MS if what he presents here is the real MS. However, I can't understand how you can't have respect for anyone that will undertake something as demanding as a thru-hike. The serious attempt, regardless of the outcome, demands respect. I'm only envious I can't be out there this year.

FatMan
02-24-2006, 18:43
MS and I have nothing in common. I find his online demeanor to be offensive and his trail sense naive. I've never thru-hiked, but there is not a thru-hiker out there on the trail that I'm pulling for and if my dog Cooper and I run into to him on the trail during his journey I will help him in any way I can.

ed bell
02-24-2006, 19:49
I've never thru-hiked, but there is not a thru-hiker out there on the trail that I'm pulling for and if my dog Cooper and I run into to him on the trail during his journey I will help him in any way I can.
Not to put words in your mouth , but I believe you meant: there is not a thru-hiker out there on the trail that I'm not pulling for. At first I thought you were gonna end that last sentence with some dasterdly deed.:D

Skidsteer
02-24-2006, 22:19
[quote=Dances with Mice...

Having met him, I know he has a stubborn streak. Nean even commented on it. I think he'll learn to channel it, and I think he's going to make it. I'm still willing to bet on it.[/quote]

Dances,

Remind me to ask you to shuttle me to Amicalola for my thru. I'll pay you. It'd be worth it.:)

Heater
02-25-2006, 02:12
I'm not of the same sentiment as DWM on odds. I like honest bets and a good return on my money. I'd be short-changing WB with a bet like that. I have a small pool of money to work with here. No offense to MS, but there is an extremely small group of individuals that rate a 50/50 chance. Besides, if you're all for the guy making it, you could put that ten dollars to better use by betting for him. I sense a little disingenuousness;) . Counter offer?

No disingenouess at all. I think the more time on the trail the better for MS. I know it would do me some real good and unless I get a really great job I love I'll be out there as soon as possible. I just thought it would be a good thing to do since this website would win either way.

So, I guess YOU don't wanna put your money where your mouth is? ;)

P.S. Go Minnie Smith.

Tha Wookie
02-25-2006, 03:32
I think the more time on the trail the better for MS.

I think that applies to all of us.;)

Two Speed
02-25-2006, 09:27
Neo, where did you get that? If I understand correctly, MS has done the Georgia section, so he really ought to know better than to think he needs 6 litres. However, the arguing part does sound like the MS we know and love . . . :-?

i am a grammeton cleric i have spys every were:cool: neoSeeing as I don't get out to the movies much and don't have a TV I really don't know what a "grammeton cleric" is, nor do I care, but it seems to me that detail should be checked before repeating it. The arguing part I have no trouble with. The 6 litres is a stretch.

MS is a lot of things but I don't believe he's an idiot. Argumentative, arrogant, annoying, yes. Flat out stupid, no.

Last, "the we all need more time on the trail" thought gets my vote. Maybe a bit of envy stoking some of the negative comments? Ah, heck, mea culpa!

Go, Minnie Smith! Prove us all wrong, boy! Girl? Whatever. Just keep on truckin'.

Skyline
02-25-2006, 10:02
I hope he makes it. And I hope he has a serious transformation along the way, one that helps him lose the attitude about dogs, gays, and all the other things he hates. Oh, and if he could lose that evil signature text on WB the transformation would be complete.

A long distance hike, especially a thru-hike, can do wonders for the soul and if he sticks with it I'm betting he hits Baxter Peak a more mellow guy. A good thing.

Lone Wolf
02-25-2006, 14:27
:-? A 4:18 with no distance training? Was one of the witnesses a Champion Chip? I have a hard time buying this post. But if you really pulled this off, you do have my respect, although it wasn't a very wise endeavor.
Back in 92 I ran a 50 mile trail race in 8:54. I trained for a month. I never ran more than 12 miles training. I didn't need no stinkin distance training. We former Marines ain't skeered of crap.

Lone Wolf
02-25-2006, 14:35
All right. If MS makes it to Damascus without yellow blazing, blue-blazing is ok, I'll buy him dinner and make a donation to Whiteblaze. :)

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 14:57
All right. If MS makes it to Damascus without yellow blazing, blue-blazing is ok, I'll buy him dinner and make a donation to Whiteblaze. :)

Nice offer LW. I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that restaurant though. ;)

Lone Wolf
02-25-2006, 14:58
It'll be at Dot's.

Lugnut
02-25-2006, 15:31
I've seen flies on the wall at Dot"s. :banana

Trail Yeti
02-25-2006, 16:00
after reading my post as to my bet I didn't understand it at all.....isn't it amazing how stupid some of the things you write are? If someone can figure it out than I'm still willing....afterall, whiteblaze gets money no matter who wins.
Good luck MS...I hope you make it.

Dances with Mice
02-25-2006, 16:30
Those who don't like to bet against any hiker may think of MS as doing a charity hike for W-B, with pledges made if he makes it to Maine. And if he gets to Maine, he couldh't have done it without W-B so it's a fitting tribute. Your contributions may help ensure the survival of this site and may help another newbie quit his job, drop out of society,and spend a season on the Trail.

And if MS doesn't make it, then me & 'gator got that covered too. A win-win situation.

See? Exact same game, different spin. Now everyone's happy.

Fiddler
02-25-2006, 16:41
Where is he now?

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 17:59
I've seen flies on the wall at Dot"s. :banana

That wasn't me. I swear. :p

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 18:02
Where is he now?

If I had to guess, I'd say he had lunch atop Kelly Knob. Unless of course Kelly Knob ate him for lunch. He should be rumbling into Hiawassee tonight or tomorrow. But that's a WAG.

Alligator
02-25-2006, 19:14
No disingenouess at all. I think the more time on the trail the better for MS. I know it would do me some real good and unless I get a really great job I love I'll be out there as soon as possible. I just thought it would be a good thing to do since this website would win either way.

So, I guess YOU don't wanna put your money where your mouth is? ;)

P.S. Go Minnie Smith.
I'll take the bet for $10 even odds just to show that my words and actions are in agreement. But no matter how you word it, you are betting against him.

Skidsteer
02-25-2006, 20:55
Where is he now?

He was at Low Gap Thursday night and Blue Mtn. last night according to the shelter registers. At a guess, I'd say he made Tray Mtn. tonight. You gotta hand it to him for consistency and sticking to a plan; He makes about 7-8 miles a day.

I also heard from that he is an unreconstructed bear/dog spray toter and the 6 liter water story may have some truth to it.

Heater
02-26-2006, 08:32
I'll take the bet for $10 even odds just to show that my words and actions are in agreement. But no matter how you word it, you are betting against him.

I often bet against my favorite sports team but that doesn't mean I want them to lose! :p

10 bucks it is. :cool:

Two Speed
02-26-2006, 09:18
. . . and the 6 liter water story may have some truth to it.Yeah, DWM has indicated to me that MS might do that. OK. Neo, whatever kind of religous fruitcake you are your spies appear to stick to the facts. I stand corrected.

The 6 litres would also explain the lower mileage. That's dang nearly 12 lbs of water. :eek:

weary
02-26-2006, 11:20
The 6 litres would also explain the lower mileage. That's dang nearly 12 lbs of water. :eek:
Maybe a bit more than 12 pounds. Pint's a pound, the world around. A liter of bourbon overflows my 32 ounce nalgene. I have to drink the surplus, getting my day off to a poor start.

Trail Yeti
02-26-2006, 17:23
My confidential sources tell me he had water mailed to himself @ Neels Gap...

MOWGLI
02-26-2006, 18:46

It was dehydrated though.

Skidsteer
02-26-2006, 19:23

Supposedly surplus Hurricane Katrina water. Just think of the weight he's saving by not carrying a filter, though. ;)

MS, if you keep on keepin' on, I'm gonna rename you Frank Sinatra cause you're sure enough "doing it your way ".

general
02-26-2006, 19:59
water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink. what's wrong with the stuff that bubbles up out of the ground about every quarter mile here in the georgia hills. i would sure as hell rather drink that than some stuff that has been to Louisana and back. that bottled water could have picked up hepatitis along the way.

Hikerhead
02-26-2006, 20:05
Those guestimated 350 questions that he asked about the trail from Ga to Fontanta really did a lot of good. And didn't he hike the Ga AT last year????Didn't he see all of those streams he crossed??

I don't know what to say......except Way to Go MS!!!! ME is waiting for ya!

MOWGLI
02-26-2006, 20:06
water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink. what's wrong with the stuff that bubbles up out of the ground about every quarter mile here in the georgia hills.

What's wrong with you? Only liberals and tree huggers would drink that stuff. ;)

general
02-26-2006, 20:51
What's wrong with you? Only liberals and tree huggers would drink that stuff. ;)

damn tree huggers

weary
02-26-2006, 21:08
damn tree huggers
Yeah. How can we keep the economy going if we use resources without filtering them through an industrial company with most of its managers in China.

Weary

Dances with Mice
02-26-2006, 21:27
Now, now. This is a thread about MinnesotaSmith. Let's not bring politics into it.

general
02-26-2006, 22:28
Yeah. How can we keep the economy going if we use resources without filtering them through an industrial company with most of its managers in China.

Weary

i used to build high quality custom billiard tables for a company in atlanta. can you guess where my job went? $585 wholesale with a $2500 retail. can't compete with that. it's a shame. that $585 buys one low end piece of shi*, but it looks great. oh well, got a new job with DNR, get to stay outside all day, hike and no noxious fumes to breathe. my income greatly depreciated, but now i at least have a chance at living to a nice ripe old age. it's happening every day, and i would imagine that some craftsmen aren't as lucky to find such a great new job as me. now i have to hug at least 3 trees a day to make up for all the mahogany pool tables i built over 10 years at an average of 500 per year. damn, i cut a tree today in my yard, but it was already dead so i guess it doesn't count. anyway, i'll hug 4 tomorrow just to be sure my carma is in order.

weary
02-26-2006, 22:51
.... oh well, got a new job with DNR, get to stay outside all day, hike and no noxious fumes to breathe. my income greatly depreciated, but now i at least have a chance at living to a nice ripe old age. .....
Well I never got a job that paid much money so my pay never depreciated. But it truly was a great job while it lasted. I got to walk in the woods, climb a few mountains, canoe a few wild rivers, and periodically nice things happened to the environment that made me proud to have played a tiny part.

Weary

general
02-26-2006, 22:58
Well I never got a job that paid much money so my pay never depreciated. But it truly was a great job while it lasted. I got to walk in the woods, climb a few mountains, canoe a few wild rivers, and periodically nice things happened to the environment that made me proud to have played a tiny part.

Weary

right on. money don't mean nothin', except rich folks have more bills.

weary
02-27-2006, 00:02
right on. money don't mean nothin', except rich folks have more bills.
I keep trying to figure out what those folks spend their money on. I eat too much already. My car runs. I manage to donate more than most of my fellow land trust directors. My house is warm. My grandkids will be in debt a long time, but they seem to be doing okay with just a few co-signs from me.

Weary

max patch
02-27-2006, 10:10
Those guestimated 350 questions that he asked about the trail from Ga to Fontanta really did a lot of good. And didn't he hike the Ga AT last year????Didn't he see all of those streams he crossed??

I'm not going to mention any names because its not relevent and there is no need to embarrass anyone, but a few years back on Trailplace a young lady asked more questions about how to thru hike than anyone I've ever read about. She asked question about EVERY topic imaginable.

But still she started with a 60 lb pack and quit at Rainbow Springs and went home.

Lets hope MS does better.

Belgarion
02-27-2006, 10:40
Listen guy, it's great that your trying a through hike. That's commendable. But, lose the attitude. you asked at least four people I know how to get your pack right. Lonestar told you you don't need to carry all that water and you just argued with him. I got the same message from Peacemaker. You asked him for help and every bit of advise he gave you you argued with him. Listen, I am glad to help anyone on the Trail. But if you ask for advise, listen to it, take it and use it. If you want the hiking experience and advise use it, if your not going to listen to it or make a joke about it, then don't ask for it.
By the way the name is Belgarion

Belgarion
02-27-2006, 10:46
Believe me guys, I saw it with my own eyes and so did Lonestar. He was carrying 6 liters of water. When he got his food drop at Neels he had a half gallon of fruit juice, and many cans of food. I left Tues morn the 21 and he bought the food that I had left over. I only offered to sell him my cd player cause I didn't need it anymore. He only wanted my food. I'll say this for him, at Woods Hole he offered me a nice piece of dried seaweed.

Fiddler
02-27-2006, 11:04
Believe me guys, I saw it with my own eyes and so did Lonestar. He was carrying 6 liters of water.Does he have one of those solar shower things you hang from a tree? That would be about right, 2 liters for drinking, 4 liters for the shower.

Fiddler
02-27-2006, 11:12
Maybe his name should be changed to "Waterboy".

Teatime
02-27-2006, 11:31
I hiked that section with a 1.8 L Platy. There was plenty of water to be found. At most I've carried the 1.8 L Platy and a 20 oz. plastic bottle (Gatorade bottle). I could easily hike 2 - days without a refill on 6 liters of water.
As for changing his trail name to "Waterboy", I vote yes. However, remember what happened to those who teased "The Waterboy" in that movie! Gatorade! H2O! Gatorade! H2O! AARGGHHH!

Sly
02-27-2006, 11:38
Maybe his name should be changed to dumb ****, or atleast Dancing With Dementia

Alligator
02-27-2006, 12:41
And Belgarion was born Garion...

Frosty
02-27-2006, 14:30
Listen guy, it's great that your trying a through hike. That's commendable. But, lose the attitude. you asked at least four people I know how to get your pack right. Lonestar told you you don't need to carry all that water and you just argued with him. I got the same message from Peacemaker. You asked him for help and every bit of advise he gave you you argued with him. Listen, I am glad to help anyone on the Trail. But if you ask for advise, listen to it, take it and use it. If you want the hiking experience and advise use it, if your not going to listen to it or make a joke about it, then don't ask for it.
By the way the name is Belgarion

Believe me guys, I saw it with my own eyes and so did Lonestar. He was carrying 6 liters of water. When he got his food drop at Neels he had a half gallon of fruit juice, and many cans of food. I left Tues morn the 21 and he bought the food that I had left over. I only offered to sell him my cd player cause I didn't need it anymore. He only wanted my food. I'll say this for him, at Woods Hole he offered me a nice piece of dried seaweed.Well, I'd never wish bad luck on anyone, or bet against him, but truthfully, who could have read any of his posts over the last couple years and not be surprised at this attitude? His questions were more of a platform for him than to gain any information. (Though the attitude doesn't surprise me, getting canned goods and a half gallon of fruit juice does, actually.)

My first thought was that it will be tough for a guy with such a closed mind to learn anything or have any kind of trail transformaton or enlightenment, but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

And if he can make it past Dicks Creek Gap, he will have made it further than I did on my first attempt!

Tha Wookie
02-27-2006, 15:37
the funny thing is that MS's best thread is when he was off the computer.:rolleyes:

Fiddler
02-27-2006, 15:53
Believe me guys, I saw it with my own eyes and so did Lonestar. He was carrying 6 liters of water.

Maybe his name should be changed to "Waterboy".
O.K., then how about "Six Pack"?

Still would like to see him make it, might do him a lot of good.

Sly
02-27-2006, 15:57
the funny thing is that MS's best thread is when he was off the computer.:rolleyes:

Did MinnesotaSmith ever post a gear list with food and water? That would have been entertaining!

The Cheat
02-27-2006, 16:12
Hey, all I know is he's out there, and we're in here.

Frosty
02-27-2006, 18:02
the funny thing is that MS's best thread is when he was off the computer.:rolleyes:Coincidence? I think not :D

MOWGLI
02-27-2006, 18:19
Hey, all I know is he's out there, and we're in here.

In where? Haven't you heard? They've built a Starbucks with Wi-Fi atop Max Patch. :eek: I'm sitting here sipping a cup and watching the sky change colors late in the day. That's a latte better than sitting in the office. :banana

general
02-27-2006, 18:30
I keep trying to figure out what those folks spend their money on.

Weary

fast cars and loose women.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2006, 18:48
A fool and his money are soon partying.

Dances with Mice
02-28-2006, 15:44
Blueberry Patch hostel.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2006, 15:48
He's averaging 6 miles per day. He's tearing it up! Best slow down.:)

AbeHikes
02-28-2006, 16:39

Sent this in a PM thinking I would keep the MS thread clean, but looked at it again today and said "hell with it". Here's what I sent last night, although I think I mixed up Monika's and Knapp's placement. Seems to me this morning that Knapp was the machine.

I ran thirty miles a week, one set on Saturday mornings being a 10 mile circuit from the Presidio down through Asilomar, past Pebble Beach, along the coastline, through Cannery Row, and up Franklin back to the Presidio. I never did any 15's or 20's, etc. I had to walk a mile at about 20 during the race. Thighs had a hard time flexing.

Four in my platoon signed up. The first (Monika) was a pretty hard runner and did it in about 2:58 (I think), the second (Knapp) in about 3:15, and McGranahan and I finished together at 4:18.

I was 19 or 20, 155 lbs, and ridiculously low in body fat (had a hard time floating for swim qualifications in Boot and at LeJeune). Was always a skinny kid. But I do think I screwed up the year. It was '89, not '91. I was still floating back from the Persian Gulf with 2nd Radio Bn and the 4th MEB in '91 at that time of the year.

At any rate, I checked their website (www.bsim.org (http://www.bsim.org)) and the posted results only go back to '97. I emailed the info address to see if they could provide older records. Would be glad to scan and post my bib, informational handouts, etc. although I know they're not proof of my time or even a finish. I only have a few individual accomplishments I'm very proud of, so I hate being challenged on them. Here's another: http://geocities.com/davidachastain/...r_comm_nsa.JPG

Oh, and thanks again, LWolf.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2006, 17:30
Frig em. I believe you. Thanks for your service.
Semper Fi

Just Jeff
02-28-2006, 18:54
http://geocities.com/davidachastain/...r_comm_nsa.JPG

Link doesn't work.

jlb2012
02-28-2006, 19:05
try http://geocities.com/davidachastain/david_cer_comm_nsa.JPG

Just Jeff
02-28-2006, 19:19
Hrm...if I were a Marine, I'd be proud to work for an AF boss, too! ;)

Just kidding. Good job, HOI.

AbeHikes
02-28-2006, 19:23
Link doesn't work.

One of these... http://geocities.com/davidachastain/david_usmc.htm

Sorry for the distraction, folks. Back to feature presentation. How's MinnesotaSmith making out at the hostel?

Dances with Mice
02-28-2006, 19:34
How's MinnesotaSmith making out at the hostel?He left this morning. Next stop NOC.

Frosty
02-28-2006, 20:11
He left this morning. Next stop NOC.Not re-supplying in Franklin, then? How many days food did he bring, do you know?

Not looking to poke fun. Honestly interested as this was something I considered and rejected myself.

My thought now is to grab food in Franklin, and skip NOC and go to Fontana Dam (resupply in Robbinsville with the Hike Inn). I wasn't impressed with what food the NOC had (though I might spend the night there).

MOWGLI
02-28-2006, 20:11
He left this morning. Next stop NOC.

Power to him! Although he's going sloww, he's still moving. I had to get off the trail at Dicks Creek Gap for a week due to blisters. Go MS Go!

Dances with Mice
02-28-2006, 20:20
Not re-supplying in Franklin, then? How many days food did he bring, do you know? I really don't know his itinerary. He called this morning but I missed it. In his message he mentioned NOC. I called the Blueberry Patch thinking he'd just arrived but he'd already left. I do know he's doing a lot of maildrops but avoiding post offices whenever possible, so likely he's resupplying at NOC.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2006, 20:24
Not re-supplying in Franklin, then? How many days food did he bring, do you know?

Not looking to poke fun. Honestly interested as this was something I considered and rejected myself.

My thought now is to grab food in Franklin, and skip NOC and go to Fontana Dam (resupply in Robbinsville with the Hike Inn). I wasn't impressed with what food the NOC had (though I might spend the night there).
I bet he goes into Franklin. Buffets will draw him in.:D

Jack Tarlin
02-28-2006, 20:28
I seem to recall hitting one with YOU in Franklin once. If memory serves, it was around seven years ago, and I had bout 40 pounds of barbequed ribs.

Buffets draw all sorts of folks in, and Smitty's no different. :)

tiamalle
02-28-2006, 21:23
Power to him! Although he's going sloww, he's still moving. I had to get off the trail at Dicks Creek Gap for a week due to blisters. Go MS Go!If he takes a notion to stop by Franklin we
will introduce him to this new Prime Sirloin and Buffet.I got a good water spicket with a long hose.Go MS I got faith in you,Ron
:banana :banana :banana

crutch
03-03-2006, 16:46
I met MS a little way back.....He's holding his own. I'm in Franklin today for a little rest and relax. I'm not going to place a bet on whether he makes it or not, but I will say that I respect him for being out here right now. The night's are cold (16 on top of Tray) the weather has been up and down and the trail is really slick in spots......but he's still out here with the few of us stupid enough to hike on northbound in February.

Good luck MS......I hope you make it, but if you don't, don't think of it as a failure......just practice for the next time.

Peace,

Crutch

tiamalle
03-06-2006, 22:26
Hrm...if I were a Marine, I'd be proud to work for an AF boss, too! ;)

Just kidding. Good job, HOI.He passed Winding Stair yesterday evening.

Teatime
03-07-2006, 07:15
how was the Waterboy? can't help but cheer him on.

Dances with Mice
03-09-2006, 19:02
Now at NOC, feeling good after going straight there from Dicks Creek. His high point (literally, I suppose) was Albert Mtn. Next stop is Fontana, then he's planning on walking straight to Standing Bear.

He's seen a bit of snow but nothing he wasn't prepared for. He mentioned getting comments about his gear early on, but that's fallen off as he's moved north.

He seemed bemused by the other hikers he's been meeting in the shelters, I guess there's been a few squabbles and personality conflicts but he wasn't involved. He hadn't heard about Stumpy's fall.

Sounds like he's really enjoying his walk.

Nightwalker
03-10-2006, 17:55
He'll yellow blaze.
I did that just recently. The Bartram is covered in 'em. :D

timhines
03-11-2006, 19:44
I wish I knew he was at NOC the other day, I could have got him a free meal.

Teatime
03-12-2006, 11:24
How long do you think it will take him to get to Damascus? It would be great to run into him during our section hike from Watauga Lake to Damascus (26 - 30 March).

neo
03-12-2006, 11:34
the guy is a butt why waste your time,he thinks we are all stupid:cool: neo

Pirate
03-12-2006, 11:55
Was at Neels Gap during his pack shake down by Winton. In his pack was 6 rolls of toliet paper, canned water and all kinds of other good stuff. Got it on video. Great entertainment value. The bets on him making it thru the Smokies are slim.

Dances with Mice
03-12-2006, 12:11
The bets on him making it thru the Smokies are slim. Didn't catch the amount...

And y'all even took his cozies! Whatzup with that?

Panzer1
03-12-2006, 12:42
Was at Neels Gap during his pack shake down by Winton. In his pack was 6 rolls of toliet paper, canned water and all kinds of other good stuff. Got it on video. Great entertainment value. The bets on him making it thru the Smokies are slim.

What do you mean, "6 rolls of toliet paper"?? You mean 6 full size rolls?

Panzer

Fiddler
03-12-2006, 15:48
In his pack was 6 rolls of toliet paper,
Hey minnesota, when we say "Keep on goin' " we don't mean that way.

FatMan
03-12-2006, 17:05
the guy is a butt why waste your time,he thinks we are all stupid:cool: neoI agree. And I can't stand his online persona. But right now he is doing what we all wish we were doing. You go MS. I would love to see you make it. All the know it alls around here are betting against you, but you are doing it your way and to me thats the best way to do it. I hope you prove them all wrong.

hustler
03-12-2006, 17:23
So has MS made it into the smokies?

saimyoji
03-12-2006, 17:32
Any pics of good ole MS?

Trooper347
03-12-2006, 17:35
I agree. And I can't stand his online persona. But right now he is doing what we all wish we were doing. You go MS. I would love to see you make it. All the know it alls around here are betting against you, but you are doing it your way and to me thats the best way to do it. I hope you prove them all wrong.

I agree as well. I have seen posts by hikers that belong in a pre-school playground, and others that have offered nothing but advice and goodwill to all that post here, newb and pro alike. There are some I would love to meet and others that I want nothing to do with. To bash someone that is out there doing what we are sitting here talking about, is downright rude. Best of luck to Minnesotasmith and all that hike this year.

Dances with Mice
03-12-2006, 18:21
So has MS made it into the smokies?Patience, patience. He just left NOC. Next chance to hear something will be Fontana.

napster
03-12-2006, 18:52
When He gets to Hotsprings He'll love the new General Dollar Store.The wife got a pair of Croc look-a likes for 5 dollars! He can soak his bones at the spa.Aint there a Trail Fest in HS next month?Also met a 05 thru hiker via trailname of "burger" We watched her ford the Broad River.She a sweet fine young lady and says she thru hike last year in 4 months.

Skyline
03-12-2006, 19:26

I have as much reason as anyone to dislike MS the online personality. After all, he's taken some hateful positions about issues that affect me personally, and he's got a real attitude problem in general.

But MS the hiker, well that's different. Gotta agree with Jack on this. He's out there in Deep Winter, doing it his way. He gets my applause and best wishes for success. We can argue about his unique view of the world after he hits Baxter Peak, and I hope he does.

Skidsteer
03-12-2006, 19:42
Any pics of good ole MS?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10295&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=7
:D

hustler
03-13-2006, 00:20
Thanks Skidsteer for throwing that link in there, I really wanted to see a nice action shot of our buddy MS. The caption was entertaining. I thought you guys were kidding about him carrying all that water. I guess the trail must have dried up since last year.

Teatime
03-14-2006, 07:29
Hey Waterboy! Not only does Gatorade taste better, it quenches your thirst better too.

Teatime
03-14-2006, 07:31
Canned Water? Really? That must be some high quality H2O!

MOWGLI
03-14-2006, 07:37
Canned Water? Really? That must be some high quality H2O!

Undoubtedly left over from Y2K. :rolleyes:

Teatime
03-14-2006, 07:53
In case you didn't catch it, I'm going for "The Waterboy" motif.:p Of course, if you haven't seen the movie it doesn't make sense. Okay, I really hope he does make it but I can't help being amused.:D
After Winton critiqued his pack, did MS put all the stuff back in it anyway or did he take Winton's advice?

Dances with Mice
03-14-2006, 14:06
Still chuggin' along, MS arrived at Fontana yesterday sounding fit & fine. The Smokies get checked off next.

Fiddler
03-14-2006, 15:42
Still chuggin' along, MS arrived at Fontana yesterday sounding fit & fine. The Smokies get checked off next.
Better slow going than no going. Any chance of pics? Wanna see if he's losing that gut yet.

saimyoji
03-14-2006, 19:08
Is MS keeping a journal?

MOWGLI
03-14-2006, 19:49
Is MS keeping a journal?

Real men don't keep journals. :rolleyes:

Here's mine. ;)

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1901

minnesotasmith
03-20-2006, 19:09
I'm in Gatlinburg TN as I write this, having hitched a ride in this afternoon. I made it over Clingman's yesterday (great 360 view, 8" snow patches on occasion, 1/2 mile of the Trail on the N. side going down was a glacier, met 5+ time thru-hiker/uber gram snob Wolf there, etc.). Today was snow, sleet, and freezing rain from dawn on, until I got a ride into town.

Right now I have an issue I'd love help with. I spent over an hour in freezing rain trying to hitch a ride back to the Trail with no one so much as thinking of stopping. I made it to the Happy Hiker outfitter (great store and people). The local shuttle operator is not going to run any more today, fearing Hwy. 441 will be closed before they get home. The local taxi charges forty bucks. The local motels are pricey, and there is no hostel in Gatlinburg. Does anyone know of either or both of A) someone who will run me back to the Trailhead tonight for a reasonable price, or B) will let me sleep in their garage or something for the usual hostel price of 15 dollars?

minnesotasmith
03-20-2006, 19:14
After Winton got through with me at Neels, when he did the pack check from Hades on me, the main stuff I put back was my 2nd LED headlamp, 2nd tiny alcohol stove, windbreaker I wear 100% of the time when it is NOT seriously raining, and the 1.00 cotton gloves I wear during dry times to avoid wear on my expensive fleece gloves. Most of my pack overweight is food. I only just (at Fontana) added back the 3rd Nalgene Winton took out; I got tired of dehydration.

I have lost something over 15 pounds by another hiker's visual estimate. My calves resemble rocks now, but my thighs and belly remain, uh, chunky.

minnesotasmith
03-20-2006, 19:25
The water I had at Neels was among the stuff I dropped off when I did my last gear buy there about 4 days pre-Amicalola. It was for drinking at Neels when I stayed overnight there, plus refilling my Nalgenes.

Sly
03-20-2006, 19:26
The Grand Prix, near the Happy Hiker is(was) about the cheapest hiker friendly motel in Gatlinburg. If they're not full, see if they'll cut you a deal or find some hikers staying there and flop in their room.

mdionne
03-20-2006, 19:57
you may have to prostitute yourself:eek: ...there are plenty of ladies there that could show you the ropes.:D

mdionne
03-20-2006, 20:00
i'm not helping any...you're best bet is to keep on thumbin'...gatlinburg is not hiker friendly, only tourist friendly.

neo
03-20-2006, 21:14
i'm not helping any...you're best bet is to keep on thumbin'...gatlinburg is not hiker friendly, only tourist friendly.

tourist friendly$$$$$$,hiker friendly$$$$$$$,mainly one thing money
friendly$$$$$$$,goodluck minn.smith,i hope ya make it:cool: neo

03-21-2006, 12:40
Hey mister Minnesota Smith,

I want to take issue with your comments about Gatlinburg. I seem to recall as I was working last night 3/20/06 as a desk clerk at Riverside Motor Lodge in down town Gatlinburg a man came into my lobby who was very wet and must have been cold, telling me a story how he had tried to get a ride back up the top of the mountain and hadn't had any luck. I invited you to warm yourself up by my fireplace (which had a blazing fire) I offered you coffee you declined, i offered you hot Tea, you declined. I made several phone calls on your behalf, I inquired with the park service about the road conditions. I called the outfitter service for you and I gave you directions on how to find the outfitters location. I also explained to you that local's wouldn't be going the direction. The direction you were going most locals don't go that way. It goes into the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and there are no homes there, anyone who ever has been to Gatlinburg knows once you leave town heading to the mountains there is nothing but mountains and bears until you cross the mountains and come down the other side into Cherokee North Carolinia some 40 miles later.

Minnesota Smith......... I extended every hospitality to you that I could. I wish you the best on your journey, I hope you complete your hike and are safe in doing so.
BUT, I extended a hand of kindness to you, but I kind of feel disappointed after reading your post. Then you wonder why people are unfreindly to you.
I'll always remember the cold wet hiker that had nothing good to say after trying to be kind to him.
Peace to you!

Sincerely
Cathy, the desk clerk you forgot.

Just Jeff
03-21-2006, 12:59
Cathy, sounds like you really helped MS. But I didn't see where he had anything bad to say about you, or about Gatlinburg other than it was spendy. Mdionne said Gatlinburg isn't hiker friendly. Am I missing something?

Thank you very much for helping out a hiker - even if what you say is true and MS didn't show is appreciation, many hikers out here really do appreciate the help you gave another hiker. Please don't base your opinion of thru-hikers on this one experience.

ed bell
03-21-2006, 13:17
I only just (at Fontana) added back the 3rd Nalgene Winton took out; I got tired of dehydration.
In order to combat dehydration you have to actually drink water.:rolleyes: Simply carrying 32oz more on you means your pack is 2lbs heavier.:sunThe weather last night was terrible, you got some guts wanting to get back out there after 5pm in order to stay at Icewater Springs. Since we haven't heard from you today, I'm assuming you ventured back out. I wish you the best.

Dances with Mice
03-21-2006, 13:26
.... I extended a hand of kindness to you, but I kind of feel disappointed after reading your post. Then you wonder why people are unfreindly to you. I'll always remember the cold wet hiker that had nothing good to say after trying to be kind to him.THANK YOU for helping another hiker!

But I don't understand either:
The local shuttle operator is not going to run any more today, fearing Hwy. 441 will be closed before they get home. The local taxi charges forty bucks. The local motels are pricey, and there is no hostel in Gatlinburg. Does anyone know of either or both of A) someone who will run me back to the Trailhead tonight for a reasonable price, or B) will let me sleep in their garage or something for the usual hostel price of 15 dollars? Seems to me he stated some facts and asked for help finding a budget shuttle & place to stay. He offered no opinions. Trust us on this, MS has no trouble expressing his opinions! Did you mean to address one of the posts after MS's? He has no control over what other people write.

Thank you again for all your effort.

wacocelt
03-21-2006, 13:42
"He'd ask for advise and then argue with you over that advise."

Ahhahahahahaha... hehehe... ahem... AHHHHHHHHhahahahhaa.

Yup, thats the MS I've come to know and loathe... err love.

Keep on keepin' on old timer! Happy and healthy hiking, Be well.

Puck

attroll
03-21-2006, 13:58
THANK YOU for helping another hiker!

But I don't understand either: Seems to me he stated some facts and asked for help finding a budget shuttle & place to stay. He offered no opinions. Trust us on this, MS has no trouble expressing his opinions! Did you mean to address one of the posts after MS's? He has no control over what other people write.

Thank you again for all your effort.
I don't know here she is getting her information either. She logged on as a new users yesterday just to post that is seems like. So we may never hear from here again. But it sure would be nice to here where she got her information from.

The Cheat
03-21-2006, 14:46
I don't know here she is getting her information either. She logged on as a new users yesterday just to post that is seems like. So we may never hear from here again. But it sure would be nice to here where she got her information from.

Sounds like another message from.... oh, nevermind.

Dances with Mice
03-26-2006, 19:36
... The bets on him making it thru the Smokies are slim. Heh! Standing Bear Farm today.

Cruising into Hot Springs next then onto Miss Janet's.

TOW
03-26-2006, 20:15
he's going to be just fine, ms if i can be of any service and if i am in your general area i will aid you......i will be cruising up and down the trail this summer offering my aid to any hiker, so if you need help just PM me......right now i am in central virginia....

Skidsteer
03-26-2006, 20:39
Heh! Standing Bear Farm today.

Cruising into Hot Springs next then onto Miss Janet's.

Peer pressure: Sometimes it's a wonderful thing. Keep on truckin'. Minnesota.

saimyoji
03-26-2006, 21:12
I still predict that at some point he will grow facial hair of some sort.

GO MS!!

minnesotasmith
03-31-2006, 15:05
1) I've gotten to Hot Springs. Elmer's place is nice, if unusual, as I had expected. Am dealing with some major gear issues (pack strap and trail runners). Most gear doing fine; am still on 1st thermarest, 1st alcohol stove, just went to 3rd set of AAA batteries for my LED headlamp (on 1st HL), etc. Have had my first blister, due only IMO to shoe failure. Have worn out one pair (of my 3 pr.) of socks, and they weren't new at hike's start. Did a 13-miler getting into HSprings, a record day for me (went from 2 shelters back straight in, from 0930 - 1630). So far Tofurkey is the physically most attractive LDH I've seen on the Trail.;)

2) Cathy (desk attendant at the hotel near Shoney's in Gatlinburg) exists, and was very pleasant and helpful within what was possible. I had major time limitations on my Internet access (as I do now; I'm at the HSprings outfitter -- 20 min. for free); that's why I did not mention her.

minnesotasmith
03-31-2006, 15:07
I still predict that at some point he will grow facial hair of some sort.

GO MS!!

I shave my face very thoroughly every time I get a shower. Not looking true so far; sorry!:D Thanks for the support, Saimyoji.

minnesotasmith
03-31-2006, 15:13
I carry 3 Nalgenes so that I have what IMO is adequate water for the day's hike without having to stop and treat water along the way. Only about 5 times so far have I gotten water in the middle of the way. I dislike doing pack-off breaks when either I don't have an elevated spot (e.g., a big flat boulder 3'+ off the ground) or if it is muddy/snowy. Plus, my water treatment process is a bit, ah, more thorough/time-consuming than are most other people's. Once I'm hiking, I want to press on to the day's destination, body/gear/terrain permitting, of course. Now, if there's a particularly good view, south-walking hikers to pick brains of, attractive women on the Trail with any inclination to be sociable, etc., then of course I will generally have some spare time during my day's hike.:D

John B
03-31-2006, 15:52
Minnesota, roughly how much does your pack weigh when you're carrying all three Nalgenes loaded with water and, say, a three-day supply of food?

minnesotasmith
03-31-2006, 15:58
I never get down to a 3-day supply; at least, I haven't so far. When I resupply, I still have more like 4 days at least left. After a resupply, I'm at least high 50s. My pack weighed 64# at the scale at Amicalola when I left there in Feb.

neo
03-31-2006, 16:19
I never get down to a 3-day supply; at least, I haven't so far. When I resupply, I still have more like 4 days at least left. After a resupply, I'm at least high 50s. My pack weighed 64# at the scale at Amicalola when I left there in Feb.

hey minn.smith a friend of mine is right behind you his name is john
aka newyork state of mind aka cement sneakers,happy hiking,enjoy hotsprings:cool: neo

neo
03-31-2006, 20:41
hey minn.smith
my buddy john aka sneakers aka newyork state of mind also made it into
hotspring today,look him up he is a great guy:cool: neo

minnesotasmith
04-01-2006, 16:24
There are a bunch of hikers in Hot Springs today. Crumbs, Milk Dud, D-Rock -- there must be 25 of them, scattered between hostels, camping, and just passing through. I called the manager of the Grand Prix motel in Gatlinburg earlier today, and he said he was filled with hikers. The tsunami is hitting, I'd say.

saimyoji
04-01-2006, 17:26
I shave my face very thoroughly every time I get a shower. Not looking true so far; sorry!:D Thanks for the support, Saimyoji.

And how often do you get a shower? If you are truly the man you claim to be, 2-3 days of not shaven ought to give you the perfect...well, you get the picture. Just use lots of conditioner, keep it nice and soft. ;)

Keep the updates coming. When you get to PA, if I'm around, I'll spot ya a beer and a shower. :cool:

Dances with Mice
04-11-2006, 23:01
MS made it to Erwin, a little worse for the wear due to the heat. He's planning a zero day to recuperate before heading onward.

Someone ahead of him is spreading rumours via shelter registers that MS is Bill Bryson in disguise.

saimyoji
04-11-2006, 23:09
MS made it to Erwin, a little worse for the wear due to the heat. He's planning a zero day to recuperate before heading onward.

Someone ahead of him is spreading rumours via shelter registers that MS is Bill Bryson in disguise.

Now that is TOO FUNNY. Though I feel bad for MS, it should be easy to dispell the rumors: he should just state his opinions on celebrities hiking the trail. Or for that matter, his opinions on anything. Or rather just speak. People will realize he's got no sense of humor, no knowledge of the trail, no wife (anymore) no family and no hope at growing a beard. :D:eek:

I figure after a 5 min conversation, no one will be fooled into believing he's Bryson.

GO MS! Keep on Keepin' on. :cool:

When you get to Port Clinton PM me.

Skyline
04-11-2006, 23:14

That's priceless. Someone should do MS doing Bryson at the Trail Days Talent Show, quasi-British accent and all.

minnesotasmith
04-12-2006, 12:55
I'm at Miss Janet's in Erwin, having spent last night at Uncle Johnny's.

Re the Bill Bryson rumor: it appears to have been started by a fast thruhiker named Compass. I only saw him once that I remember, in what I believe was the Mollies Ridge shelter in the Smokies (the first shelter in the Smokies going north). He and I talked noncomittally for about 15 minutes; mostly, he griped about how another hiker in the shelter named Whitey would not stop talking.

I first started seeing him saying that I was Bryson in the registers about 5 shelters back. He seemed genuinely convinced of this. At first I was amused by this, then I considered how many people were irked by his book (me among them). I could see someone on the Trail being a pain to me over that, if they genuinely thought I was Bryson, so I would definitely prefer this story die sooner rather than later.

On other topics, I'm slowly getting there WRT my trail legs. I did a 10.0 and a 10.6 the 2 days before I trudged into Erwin. My record this hike is still the 13 I did to get into Hot Springs. I am seriously looking forward to dropping winter gear in VA; as I've had slush in my Platypus less than a week ago, that time is not yet here.

max patch
04-12-2006, 13:13
I'm at Miss Janet's in Erwin, having spent last night at Uncle Johnny's.

Since youv'e stayed at both....UJ has a lot of crap written about him. Based on your perspective is he given a fair shake on this and other forums?

My record this hike is still the 13 I did to get into Hot Springs.

Must be something about Hot Springs; I did my first 20 getting into town.

MOWGLI
04-12-2006, 13:17
MS:

How is the hike going? Are you enjoying yourself? What (if anything) have you learned? Are you committed to continue on the Katahdin?

Thanks.

Dances with Mice
04-12-2006, 13:19
Re the Bill Bryson rumor: I first started seeing him saying that I was Bryson in the registers about 5 shelters back. He seemed genuinely convinced of this. At first I was amused by this, then I considered how many people were irked by his book (me among them). I could see someone on the Trail being a pain to me over that, if they genuinely thought I was Bryson, so I would definitely prefer this story die sooner rather than later.Don't worry, I don't think anybody's buying it.... http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=129323

minnesotasmith
04-12-2006, 13:22
I would say that he (and the other employees there) are making a good effort now; it really wasn't a bad place. It ran 12.50 for the bunkhouse for the night, albeit 3.00 for a load of laundry (that they do, including drying). They cheerfully ran other hikers and I around town in a flexible fashion. Main downpoints were these:

1) No internet.

2) Phone was a payphone, which eats up my calling card.

3) When I talked to UJ about a private cabin, the price kept changing upwards, until I just politely said to forget it, I'd go with a room in the bunkhouse. (The bunkhouse ended up being better anyway IMO due to interaction with about 4 other hikers, including Goliath and Hobbit.)

4) Bathroom was a bit of a walk from the bunkhouse, albeit nothing like the 60+ yards at the Duckett in Hot Springs. I have gotten VERY accustomed to being under 30' from where I can take a leak at all times when sleeping.

The Solemates
04-12-2006, 14:23
4) Bathroom was a bit of a walk from the bunkhouse, albeit nothing like the 60+ yards at the Duckett in Hot Springs. I have gotten VERY accustomed to being under 30' from where I can take a leak at all times when sleeping.

wait til you get to new england...

minnesotasmith
04-12-2006, 14:40
MS:

How is the hike going? Are you enjoying yourself? What (if anything) have you learned? Are you committed to continue on the Katahdin?

Thanks.

Things I have learned:

1) If I can't see the privy from the shelter, walk to it once during daylight to make certain I can expeditiously find it if I need it all of a sudden at night.

2) It's harder to eat healthily when I don't cook.

3) I don't use as much wheat germ or tea on the trail as I do in civilization.

4) MRE entrees are GREAT lunches.

5) Powdered milk in quart pouches are a good size.

6) Treat water the night before, so that I wake up with all my nalgenes full.

7) Most hikers appear to be walking timebombs WRT nutrition, they eat so unhealthily on the Trail. This is especially true for those under 30.

8) There are exceptions to the rule that female thruhikers have, uh, exclusively androgynous shapes, but they are distinctly in the minority.

9) Lots of hikers get sucked into trail towns/hostels, and get delayed for a week or more. This seems more likely for the party crowd, especially if under 30.

10) Section hikers are OK by me. They've all been pleasant, and several times have given me food after I've made the effort to fully answer their questions about thruhiking. (Women section hikers are often much easier on the eyes than woman thruhikers, sometimes gloriously so.)

11) In my experience on my thruhike so far, loose dogs are usually property of dayhikers. However, if a thruhiker or sectionhiker lets their dog run loose, they will almost certainly be unreasoning (e.g., uneducatable) WRT reasonable limits on their animal so that it does not affect the experience of other hikers.

12) I have come to believe that calcium supplements are a good idea, especially for days I don't use powdered milk.

13) The generosity of trail angels continues to astound me.

14) I'm really glad I'm doing this, even when it s*cks (as it does on occasion).

Rain Man
04-12-2006, 15:51
... I can take a leak at all times when sleeping.

Ain't that called BED-WETTING?!!!! LOL

Just pulling yer leg a bit, MS. I've been enjoying reading your posts and look forward to more.

Rain:sunMan