PDA

View Full Version : Potomac River Footbridge due to close ~ 7 pm 9/28/18

Lauriep
09-28-2018, 16:49
The Potomac River at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia is projected to flood the C&O Towpath on the Maryland side of the river by late Friday evening. The footbridge over the Goodloe Byron Memorial Footbridge that connects the Appalachian Trail between Harpers Ferry and the Towpath is scheduled to close Friday evening by 7:00 pm. Hikers northbound from Harpers Ferry or southbound from Weverton in Maryland should plan to arrange a shuttle. Although river levels are expected to return to below flood stage sometime Sunday; the footbridge will not re-open until it has been ascertained that there are no safety concerns on the towpath as a result of the flooding.

Follow ATC's Trail Updates page at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/updates).

Laurie P.
ATC

Lauriep
09-28-2018, 18:31
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park Ranger was approaching the footbridge with closure signs a few minutes ago, so consider it CLOSED now.

Quik
09-28-2018, 19:21
Lauriep- thanks for posting this, I will check in here and on the ATC website for updates. I'm still several days out of HF, hiking SOBO to finish my flip-flop in HF.

Lauriep
09-29-2018, 08:37
Quik, hopefully the footbridge will re-open before you get there, but there's no telling. The Towpath across from Harpers Ferry is expected to be under about 3 feet of swift-moving water today (it's projected to crest at 18.7 feet, and is underwater around 16 feet).

Sometimes the footbridge re-opens very quickly if it's clear the towpath has not been significantly impacted, but sometimes it takes a few days to make a complete assessment. The towpath can also be closed if nearby roads are damaged and emergency vehicles can't access the towpath.

For some history: two floods in 1996 (both above 29 feet) completely destroyed the towpath across from Harpers Ferry. It took months to rebuild the towpath and re-open the A.T. A special ATC trail crew rebuilt much of the retaining wall for the towpath, and heavy equipment moved the rubble. The rock work has withstood many floods since then; fortunately none of the same magnitude.

Quik
09-30-2018, 09:59
Thanks Laurie- I should be fine unless the C&O is washed out and closed or the bridge is damaged.

Lauriep
09-30-2018, 11:53
The footbridge re-opened this morning.

Quik
09-30-2018, 19:14
The footbridge re-opened this morning.

Thanks Laurie!