PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Down Jackets

Gambit McCrae
10-01-2018, 10:59
I am slightly in need of a new light down puffy. I would just buy the one I currently have but OR doesn't sell it anymore. And I don't like any of their current options. I am also not a fan of the other big box store products like Patagonia or north face.

Here's what I want:
Sub 10oz
A healthy baffle system
Some pockets

I could go hood OR no hood. My old one is no hood and I cant remember a time when I wished I had the hood, however others mention that once they converted to a hooded jacket they wouldn't go back.

Cost? Meh lets leave that factor out of the equation however if that was the case I would have probably already bought the WM Flash and been done with it. I wouldn't mind some feedback from anyone that has experience with the Flash from WM...

Two Tents
10-01-2018, 11:03
Nunatak gives total customization on several models. Longer sleeve length, pockets or not, longer torso length.

h. hastings
10-01-2018, 11:21
I don't have one but one I've seen mentioned a lot (with good reviews) is the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer.

Rain Man
10-01-2018, 11:30
I have a Patagonia Puff (not down) and the REI Co-op "brand" (down). Both are functional. I usually take the REI down one because it packs smaller.

I think neither has a chest pocket. I wish each did.

The REI jacket I got on a nice sale. The more expensive "name brand" ones are not worth the extra expense IMHO.

Sorry, but don't recall the weights.

Hikingjim
10-01-2018, 12:08
I can't complain about hooded ghost whisperer. I got it heavily discounted though... I think full price is a bit steep for what it is
under 8 oz, 2 pockets, hood

I use that or the odd time I bring my northface thermoball (synthetic) on trips where I want something versatile that I can get wet and retain warmth. Have soaked that thing pretty good and was still warm.

fastfoxengineering
10-01-2018, 12:24
Dont skimp on the outer shell material to save an ounce. Pretty much every Ghost Whisperer or similar jacket ive ever seen is patched up within weeks of real trail use.

For down insulation...

I think Montbell has some of the best offerings and designs for hikers out there. All for a fair price too.

The superior down parka is a long distance hiker favorite.

But... you said lightweight? How much fill weight are you looking for? And how will the jacket be used?

I guess my overall recommendation is that Montbell should have something to fit your needs... and its not patagucci.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

QiWiz
10-01-2018, 12:30
I don't have one but one I've seen mentioned a lot (with good reviews) is the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer.

I have a MHGW and like it for fall and spring use; for winter I like something even warmer (WM Flash). So what I would recommend depends on how cold you want to camp.

Gambit McCrae
10-01-2018, 12:31
Dont skimp on the outer shell material to save an ounce. Pretty much every Ghost Whisperer or similar jacket ive ever seen is patched up within weeks of real trail use.

For down insulation...

I think Montbell has some of the best offerings and designs for hikers out there. All for a fair price too.

The superior down parka is a long distance hiker favorite.

But... you said lightweight? How much fill weight are you looking for? And how will the jacket be used?

I guess my overall recommendation is that Montbell should have something to fit your needs... and its not patagucci.

I'm not extremely adversed in the fill weight subject but it seems like the 2.5 to 3.5 oz is my range. This jacket will 99% of the time be stowed in my dry bag during the day and be used around camp before bed time. This jacket is not a "winter" use either, I have a good OR hooded winter puffy. This is for late fall, early spring use.

I did jump over to montbells page just now, I have been a sleeping bag customer of theirs 4-5 times over so I will def consider them for my jacket, I like what I see and at a fair price.

George
10-01-2018, 12:41
paid 28 shipped for this a month ago - 9 oz on my scale :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Outdoor-Winter-Duck-Down-jacket-Women-and-Men-Ultralight-Thin-Thermal-Outwear/32834187506.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5f854c4dLLX Lnx

similar for 35:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tectop-Winter-Outdoor-Super-light-Down-Jacket-For-Men-Slim-ski-Suit-Hiking-Jacket/32822253728.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.1.38972 d8eEeVZhN&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=86e6b20e-f6a4-4052-8b55-c02f31dd8054

HooKooDooKu
10-01-2018, 12:41
Another vote for the ghost whisper.
It comes in both hooded and un-hooded versions.
During the off-season such as after Christmas sales, you can usually find one for half the full retail price.

fastfoxengineering
10-01-2018, 12:49
I'm not extremely adversed in the fill weight subject but it seems like the 2.5 to 3.5 oz is my range. This jacket will 99% of the time be stowed in my dry bag during the day and be used around camp before bed time. This jacket is not a "winter" use either, I have a good OR hooded winter puffy. This is for late fall, early spring use.

I did jump over to montbells page just now, I have been a sleeping bag customer of theirs 4-5 times over so I will def consider them for my jacket, I like what I see and at a fair price.I have an ex light anorak, windshirt, windpants, shell gloves, hats, and a few other pieces from them and have been pleased with them all. They were also very easy to work with when I received a defect product. Replaced it immediately, no hassle.

The Alpine Light jacket sounds perfect for your use

Hikingjim
10-01-2018, 13:28
I have an ex light anorak, windshirt, windpants, shell gloves, hats, and a few other pieces from them and have been pleased with them all. They were also very easy to work with when I received a defect product. Replaced it immediately, no hassle.
The Alpine Light jacket sounds perfect for your use

Is your anorak all patched up like everyone's ghost whisperer that you've seen? They're both 7d ripstop nylon

fastfoxengineering
10-01-2018, 13:47
Is your anorak all patched up like everyone's ghost whisperer that you've seen? They're both 7d ripstop nylonNope but due to it not seeing much time on the trail. It really just wear it sometimes when car Camping and lounging around.

Ethesis
10-01-2018, 14:11
I have a Patagonia Puff (not down) and the REI Co-op "brand" (down). Both are functional. I usually take the REI down one because it packs smaller.

I think neither has a chest pocket. I wish each did.

The REI jacket I got on a nice sale. The more expensive "name brand" ones are not worth the extra expense IMHO.

Sorry, but don't recall the weights.

Same as what I have.
On sale the REI was $49.99

Ethesis
10-01-2018, 14:12
If price is no object, https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301365

I may well grab one if I hike in colder weather.

DripDry
10-01-2018, 14:14
I have had a WM Flash since 2010 and literally never leave on a trip without it. I use it as a camp jacket and occasionally as an extra layer to extend the range of my sleeping bag. No patches, no tears and my favorite piece of gear in my bag.

Tipi Walter
10-01-2018, 14:28
I have the slightly heavier WM Flight jacket and it's used as a warmth layer in camp and also doubles as my pillow inside a silk pillowcase (an old converted silk baselayer shirt).

Dogwood
10-01-2018, 17:35
OK decide first 1) Is it almost exclusively for in camp or when not on the move? This means having to decide on what kind of hiker one is(camper or hiker) or that takes into consideration season i.e; aka conditions. Is it a primary insulation piece?...in a how many layer apparel system?..2, 3, 4...? These determine, at least in my mind, whether I MIGHT want a hood. AND, if choosing a hood it has consequences on wt of the jacket...usually an oz or bit more. Most hikers IMHO spend more time stopped and in camp than on the move or out in true winter conditions. IMHO I'd also surmise most go for 2 or 3 layer torso apparel set up. These things affect wt of a jacket which you are noting/prioritizing.

The WM Flash XR series runs big in the lower torso/belly area. As a lean ectomorph 6'4" it was too bulky in that area in the XL or L for my approach to backpacking and layering. You look lean in the belly too. I didn't particularly like a 11 oz down jacket with only about 1/3 of the down contributing to the total wt. I sold the Flash XR jacket. I tend to stay on the move(which contributes to maintaining warmth) and spend only about 7-10 hrs in camp, even during winter. I also prefer a 4 layer not overly bulky torso apparel system with greater overall diversity but still with a keen eye on maintaining UL philosophy for backpacking. I'm not adverse to the diversity and the closing the gap performance and compressibility of a synthetic like the TNF Thermoball(bit lg in xl in the belly area too), Pat Nano Puff (Primaloft Gold), or Pat Micro Puff(65G Plumafill). I prefer being able to wear everything - on the move - I'm carrying as often as possible to avoid carrying dead wt regularly. The only hoods I now have on any down or synthetic jacket are for non backpacking activities or perhaps dun in a day cold agendas worn at summits or after the sun goes down and not carrying a bag/quilt near the TH or car when I'm slowing down.

JG13
10-01-2018, 19:31
Arc'teryx cerium lt hoody...10.8 oz...very warm...love mine.

saltysack
10-01-2018, 22:54
Montbell...loved my hooded exlight til I burned it...my mom got me the UL anorak last Xmas.....I love it and it’s sub 6.5 oz pretty warm with kangaroo pocket like my melly...great piece...can’t go wrong w montbell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
10-01-2018, 22:59
I guess it’s exlight anorak...I have this in blue..definitely not for bushwhacking but around twin and camp I had the previous one about 5 years before it got torched by my alchy stove.....I’d still use it but my wife refused to be seen with me and a duct taped jacket...actually sold for over $50...hot deal

saltysack
10-01-2018, 23:00
Oops forgot link
https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301211

chknfngrs
10-02-2018, 06:49
Anything by feathered friends. Garunteed to check the box of “not from box box” store

MtDoraDave
10-02-2018, 06:54
My Trail Co has their " 850 fill HL(hyper light?) down jacket" (no hood) on sale for $129. 850 fill, 95 gram fill wt, 9 oz weight.

MtDoraDave
10-02-2018, 06:55
My Trail Co has their " 850 fill HL(hyper light?) down jacket" (no hood) on sale for $129. 850 fill, 95 gram fill wt, 9 oz weight.

10 D nylon shell

Water Rat
10-02-2018, 07:58
Another vote for the Montbell ex-light anorak.

Mine has been with me on all trips (on trail, traveling, and often around town in the fall & spring) since I received it 2 Christmases ago. Definitely not for use bushwacking, but mine has been worn on trail during chilly mornings and late afternoons/evenings. Mostly used around camp. I am very happy to report I still have no rips, tears, or patches on this jacket. This has become one of my favorite pieces of gear because I can wear it a good portion of the year.

cmoulder
10-02-2018, 08:08
Anything Montbell that checks your boxes.

sfdoc
10-02-2018, 09:03
Take a look at MyTrail.

Feral Bill
10-02-2018, 12:36
Have you considered a vest? You may get more warmth for the weight in you usage. I'm eying a Montbell Alpine Light for myself.

Colter
10-02-2018, 13:30
paid 28 shipped for this a month ago - 9 oz on my scale :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Outdoor-Winter-Duck-Down-jacket-Women-and-Men-Ultralight-Thin-Thermal-Outwear/32834187506.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5f854c4dLLX Lnx

similar for 35:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tectop-Winter-Outdoor-Super-light-Down-Jacket-For-Men-Slim-ski-Suit-Hiking-Jacket/32822253728.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.1.38972 d8eEeVZhN&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=86e6b20e-f6a4-4052-8b55-c02f31dd8054

How warm is it? How well-made? I've gotten some amazing bargains on aliexpress.

PatmanTN
10-02-2018, 14:56
Check out this review of a Goosefeet Custom:

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/goosefeet/custom-down-jacket/#review39151

George
10-02-2018, 21:32
How warm is it? How well-made? I've gotten some amazing bargains on aliexpress.

looks fine, only time can really tell - but most everything is sewn in asia so....

3/4 inc loft, about standard for what I call a down sweater - certainly beats the snot out of anything fleece for warmth / weight efficiency

Just Bill
10-03-2018, 10:56
I am slightly in need of a new light down puffy. I would just buy the one I currently have but OR doesn't sell it anymore. And I don't like any of their current options. I am also not a fan of the other big box store products like Patagonia or north face.

Here's what I want:
Sub 10oz
A healthy baffle system
Some pockets

I could go hood OR no hood. My old one is no hood and I cant remember a time when I wished I had the hood, however others mention that once they converted to a hooded jacket they wouldn't go back.

Cost? Meh lets leave that factor out of the equation however if that was the case I would have probably already bought the WM Flash and been done with it. I wouldn't mind some feedback from anyone that has experience with the Flash from WM...

Are you out long enough to need/want a synthetic?

I like to have 'one of each'... if my primary insulation is down (quilt/sleeping bag) I like to have a synthetic puffy/vest.

As for the hood... I only like it if it lets me leave something at home. It's kinda handy in the winter with a quilt/hammock to keep any headwear all wrapped up.
But the nice thing about separate headwear is that you can use it separately. I've hiked quite a few times in light clothing but using my insulated hats to help regulate temps. For an ounce or two they are quick and easy to slip on/off.

I do have long hair... and usually carry a buff or balaclava so I don't get 'cold neck' which is a good reason for a hood.

Otherwise... the down puffy market is pretty flooded so if that's what you want... anything from that REI coop jacket, costco special, or WM jacket is probably fine.
For a piece like that where you aren't really picky... I'd just shop for a bargain and not get too bogged down in the details.

The only one I wouldn't buy is 'my trail'.

I know you said no... but if you do consider a synthetic.... the Nano-Air (especially if you have a wind or rain shell in your kit) is one of the most versatile and useful insulated layers I have.
I build fires. A tear or a spark simply melts it... no geese farts or panic scrambling for the sewing kit needed. Just wait for a sale... 30% off isn't hard, 50% off; selection, sizes, colors get questionable.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-nano-air-jacket/84251.html?dwvar_84251_color=PBH&cgid=web-specials-mens-jackets-vests#tile-5=&start=1&sz=24

The standard nano-puff is a solid beater and often available for $100.
But the nano air is warmer and more breathable. The comfort range is very wide and if you put it under a wind or WPB shell the lower limit is pretty solid. The material is super comfy/soft and it's one of the few shells that is comfortable to wear by itself with no shirt on. That can be handy.

Other nice thing with synthetic is it's not hard to use the puffy to dry out your baselayer. With down... you're just pumping that into the shell. But with a decent synthetic you can wear your puffy over your wet hiking shirt... dry the thing out and not hurt the shell's insulation value.

Yer out east... ;)

sfdoc
10-03-2018, 12:13
MyTrailCo: 850, $130, 850 hoody, $150.

Phikes
10-03-2018, 12:44
MONTBELL!!!
Just picked one of these up. Sweet deal if the size is right!
https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25010&p_id=2301211&gen_cd=1&fo_flg=1

Dogwood
10-03-2018, 20:46
These threads are like being at Wrigley Field for the seventh game of the World Series in the 9th inning tied score being a Miami Marlins fan wearing a Marlins shirt.

George
10-04-2018, 09:22
These threads are like being at Wrigley Field for the seventh game of the World Series in the 9th inning tied score being a Miami Marlins fan wearing a Marlins shirt.

no, the cubs being at that point is once per century - these threads, once a week

saltysack
10-04-2018, 09:27
MONTBELL!!!
Just picked one of these up. Sweet deal if the size is right!
https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25010&p_id=2301211&gen_cd=1&fo_flg=1

You’ll love it!

Dogwood
10-04-2018, 20:25
You’ll love it!

Not if he takes an XL. Sucks having any jacket being too tight doubly so an anorak that is too tight. Try wearing one on the move while backpacking. Fewer full mechanical venting options make it less usable when not stationary. The design is about conserving heat with less options to dump it. It's largely a camp or stationary piece when included in a backpacking kit. IMO MB's design team recognized this so at one time offered their down shirt/jacket with full front zip and half sleeves more conducive to being worn on the move. 7D fabric - "ballistic" or otherwise - worn under 35- 40 lb filled pack straps or caught in a pack's hip belt closure can wear or abrade quickly. Fly away; fly away; be free 900 FP down clusters.

I'm not comfortable wearing one on the move - I heat up too fast - while backpacking therefore it's the gear's fault. It had limited use therefore it's the gear's fault. It wore quickly around the shoulders. Itsy bitsy thin 7D should last longer. That was premature failure. It was the gear's fault. I got a a eraser sized hole it because I got a small spark on it round the campfire. that was premature failure. Mine tore from being caught on a blackberry thorn on the AT. A replacement got a tear because it got caught on an wild crabapple spur going over a bald on the AT. A replacement after that had splinter punctures when I hung it on an AT shelter wall. It's the gear's fault. :D

I had a NJ Italian boss, a real I talllian, great mentor, at one time when first starting out as a Landscape Designer/Contractor. I'd go on sales calls with him. Later I had a Sicilian as a working biz partner, another great biz mentor and biz partner where we were on equal footing. His standard default line no matter what the client's question when he didnt want to answer it - he used this reply often when prospective clients were talking project costs and project completion times, was "Ahh ah you a juice gonna a luv et absowlooly ah luv it ah magneefico absowlooly juice luv it", and then pull out some pictures of past high end projects, - usually included were pics of what he built in his own back yard, and continue "ahh say, sayaaah(linger here for a bit while the clients eyes were focused on the pics), thatsa what er we a gonna do fur a you." Then he'd conclude the sale with a Vincent Gardenia- Mr Pastorini - the plummer - like performance. It took a poker face to keep from breaking out laughing. Both men delivered though on their client's dream landscapes! :D They were knowledgeable craftsman of high order. They were also great salesmen too! Ever feel like a sale person here on WB?...a cheerleader? vincent gardenia moonstruck plumming scene (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vincent+gardenia+moonstruck+plumming+scen e&&view=detail&mid=021AEFFDCDD386C21173021AEFFDCDD386C21173&rvsmid=F89A63A9BDB240FEAF8DF89A63A9BDB240FEAF8D&FORM=VDQVAP)

saltysack
10-04-2018, 22:36
Not if he takes an XL. Sucks having any jacket being too tight doubly so an anorak that is too tight. Try wearing one on the move while backpacking. Fewer full mechanical venting options make it less usable when not stationary. The design is about conserving heat with less options to dump it. It's largely a camp or stationary piece when included in a backpacking kit. IMO MB's design team recognized this so at one time offered their down shirt/jacket with full front zip and half sleeves more conducive to being worn on the move. 7D fabric - "ballistic" or otherwise - worn under 35- 40 lb filled pack straps or caught in a pack's hip belt closure can wear or abrade quickly. Fly away; fly away; be free 900 FP down clusters.

I'm not comfortable wearing one on the move - I heat up too fast - while backpacking therefore it's the gear's fault. It had limited use therefore it's the gear's fault. It wore quickly around the shoulders. Itsy bitsy thin 7D should last longer. That was premature failure. It was the gear's fault. I got a a eraser sized hole it because I got a small spark on it round the campfire. that was premature failure. Mine tore from being caught on a blackberry thorn on the AT. A replacement got a tear because it got caught on an wild crabapple spur going over a bald on the AT. A replacement after that had splinter punctures when I hung it on an AT shelter wall. It's the gear's fault. :D

I had a NJ Italian boss, a real I talllian, great mentor, at one time when first starting out as a Landscape Designer/Contractor. I'd go on sales calls with him. Later I had a Sicilian as a working biz partner, another great biz mentor and biz partner where we were on equal footing. His standard default line no matter what the client's question when he didnt want to answer it - he used this reply often when prospective clients were talking project costs and project completion times, was "Ahh ah you a juice gonna a luv et absowlooly ah luv it ah magneefico absowlooly juice luv it", and then pull out some pictures of past high end projects, - usually included were pics of what he built in his own back yard, and continue "ahh say, sayaaah(linger here for a bit while the clients eyes were focused on the pics), thatsa what er we a gonna do fur a you." Then he'd conclude the sale with a Vincent Gardenia- Mr Pastorini - the plummer - like performance. It took a poker face to keep from breaking out laughing. Both men delivered though on their client's dream landscapes! :D They were knowledgeable craftsman of high order. They were also great salesmen too! Ever feel like a sale person here on WB?...a cheerleader? vincent gardenia moonstruck plumming scene (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vincent+gardenia+moonstruck+plumming+scen e&&view=detail&mid=021AEFFDCDD386C21173021AEFFDCDD386C21173&rvsmid=F89A63A9BDB240FEAF8DF89A63A9BDB240FEAF8D&FORM=VDQVAP)

Obviously wouldn’t by a tight jacket....I love my XL but as you know MB Is athletic cut so assume those shaped like a [emoji530] May dislike most MB products as I find the to fit me great. I can’t ever recall wearing it while hiking as I’d certainly destroy it...definitely just a camp piece on trail but I do wear it around town often when at home during those frigid Fl winters...[emoji3]

Ethesis
10-29-2018, 19:54
Having hiked in some serious rain I’m growing to appreciate fleeces and synthetic.

Ethesis
10-29-2018, 19:58
I was getting ready to buy https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301365 out of jealousy for my wife’s ghost whisperer when I spent too much time on the rain and using layers.

Learned a lot about myself though. Now I’m happy with what I have even with some real temperature drops, into the thirties.

With a a slightly warmer baselayer or a buff or a hat I think I’m ready into the twenties.

Paleolith54
10-30-2018, 08:51
I picked the Enlightened Equipment Torrid jacket, Apex fill, 8.4oz in Medium over the Ghost Whisperer. Check youtube, Darwin does a nice comparison between them. Either seems like a good choice.

AllDownhillFromHere
10-30-2018, 09:08
I like whatever's on REI clearance that fits. Just did a LDH with a $60 down jacket, was warm when I should have been. Happy with it. I think you get into a (very) diminishing return.

Gambit McCrae
06-20-2019, 16:33
I chose the mountain hardware ghost whisperer hooded jacket.

Pros-
weight - 8 oz
water resistant material
color (black is what i chose)
MH customer service is a strong reputation which goes a long way in my book

con-
Sizing was difficult to pick it seemed like the sleeve lengths were all way too long
price - Its pricey thats for sure

Still a variable
Warmth - to be so light i am curious to know what its warmth is
Durability - with UL comes a sacrifice of durability so I am curious about this aspect
Size - I was on the fence, so I got the XL bc I am not a fan of garments "hugging" my body. If it is way too baggy I will just have to return and get the large.

I also chose a new rain jacket as I learned on trip 53 to PA that my OR Helium HD is no longer waterproof, and they have discontinued what I believe to be one of the best rain jackets every created for the backpacker.

I chose the Arcteryx Zeta SL jacket as it was the most comparable garment I could find in comparison to the OR Helium HD - in terms of which pros i liked about the helium HD for so long, I found several of those features in the Zeta SL.

I hope to be able to do a thread of kinda reviewing the 2 new garments, comparing them to what they replaced, and any post unboxing thoughts i have. Unfortunately I do not know how I could test the down out until I actually get to the whites to use it in September. I guess I could go to a walk in freezer somewhere and hangout inside. But I am pretty confident from all the reviews that it will be warm enough.

OwenM
06-28-2019, 06:35
I chose the mountain hardware ghost whisperer hooded jacket.
I also chose a new rain jacket as I learned on trip 53 to PA that my OR Helium HD is no longer waterproof, and they have discontinued what I believe to be one of the best rain jackets every created for the backpacker.

I chose the Arcteryx Zeta SL jacket as it was the most comparable garment I could find in comparison to the OR Helium HD - in terms of which pros i liked about the helium HD for so long, I found several of those features in the Zeta SL.
Zeta SL, huh? I'll be checking that out when my Helium HD gives up. I keep quiet about it, because it's been so great, and reviews of the regular Helium so poor, that I figured it must be some kind of fluke.
Edit: Ha! Never mind, no pitzips. Screw that...

Ghost Whisperer isn't very durable, I can tell you that. My buddy has one, and that's his only complaint.

What was the OR jacket you had before?
I've got an OR Filament pullover(run so hot its 1.76oz of 800 fill is enough for me into the 20s), though a full-zip hoodless Backcountry Hadron w/2oz of 850 fill gets the bulk of my use. Alpine Light Down Parka takes over below ~25 and gets me into negative single digits.
Guess it makes sense that I can't relate to people talking about hiking in a puffy, and give that no consideration.

Helium HD, Filament, Hadron..everything I buy gets discontinued :(

Gambit McCrae
07-01-2019, 10:06
Zeta SL, huh? I'll be checking that out when my Helium HD gives up. I keep quiet about it, because it's been so great, and reviews of the regular Helium so poor, that I figured it must be some kind of fluke.
Edit: Ha! Never mind, no pitzips. Screw that...

Ghost Whisperer isn't very durable, I can tell you that. My buddy has one, and that's his only complaint.

What was the OR jacket you had before?
I've got an OR Filament pullover(run so hot its 1.76oz of 800 fill is enough for me into the 20s), though a full-zip hoodless Backcountry Hadron w/2oz of 850 fill gets the bulk of my use. Alpine Light Down Parka takes over below ~25 and gets me into negative single digits.
Guess it makes sense that I can't relate to people talking about hiking in a puffy, and give that no consideration.

Helium HD, Filament, Hadron..everything I buy gets discontinued :(

Discontinued awesome gear is very disappointing. Unfortunately hiking gear has the "new fishing lure" syndrome. Every year new lures come out and the fisherman flock to them like the fish are bored with the old stuff. And just like fishing, the gear isnt always better.

Honestly I overlooked the lack of pitzips until you said that. I thought they had them for some reason. If I love the jacket besides pitzips and find I can live without them I have two options. return and continue to search for the new best rain jacket(doesnt exist) or send it to rainypass and let them add pitzips to it.

Elaikases
07-01-2019, 14:30
I was getting ready to buy https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301365 out of jealousy for my wife’s ghost whisperer when I spent too much time on the rain and using layers.

Learned a lot about myself though. Now I’m happy with what I have even with some real temperature drops, into the thirties.

With a a slightly warmer baselayer or a buff or a hat I think I’m ready into the twenties.

Well, turns out that through the smokies in the twenties, I was fine with my Packa as a wind shirt and not using the puffy, just the fleece.

I've been more than happy with the $49.00 REI down jacket I bought (they discount overstocked colors from time to time). Gave my down hood (detached) away. Usually hike with just the puffy or just the fleece.

A good wind shirt makes more of a difference than anything else. Even in the 20s, with blowing sleet and snow in the Smokies.

Just saying.

Everyone bundled up with all their gear, I quickly moved to less clothing as soon as I started hiking, sleet, snow and temps in the 20s.