PDA

View Full Version : Gale river loop road

sethd513
10-03-2018, 05:45
Quick parking question. We are thinking about two cars up in nh this weekend. Doing little haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette and camping at Garfield. Then Garfield trail out. I’ve done the Garfield trail in the winter so we had to park out on the road at the t for the night. I think it’s labeled as 5 corners. Since there is no snow yet is there overnight parking on the gale river loop road or is that not allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
10-03-2018, 09:04
My map shows parking at the bottom of the Garfield and Gail river trail. The FS access road should stay open until it snows.

Keep in mind that parking in the notch overflows onto the highway early in the morning on a weekend like this one. So far they aren't enforcing the no parking on the highway, but it isn't the best place to be parking. The Garfield parking area is fairly small too.
Since the Gail river trial is the primary access to the Garfield site, it probably has more parking. You'll want to get there very, very early in the morning to find a parking spot. Plus you'll want to get a very early start as that's 1 MPH section of trail and it's getting dark by 6-6:30 these days. I'd see if you can get a camping spot at the Lafayette campground the night before. I bet they fill up this weekend too. The colors are pretty much at peak right now.

peakbagger
10-03-2018, 10:24
No snow yet. The Gale river road usually is kept open for hunting season unless there is nasty weather that damages the road. No reason why you cannot park along either the Garfield or Gale River road although both are remote so take you valuables with you or leave them home in case someone decide to do some smash and grabs. Good luck finding a parking space at Lafayette place. I expect law enforcement may be writing tickets along the parkway as the reportedly did so a few weeks ago. If its full you can either head up to official shuttle lot at 34C and take the shuttle bus or park at the dirt lot next to the tram (parking for Greenleaf) and walk down the bike path to Lafayette place. Given the forecast for the weekend I expect every campsite and parking lotwill be full. You may want to consider camping at the old Garfield Pond campsite instead of the shelter which will almost guaranteed to be full to the rafters. Realize the backpack up Falling Waters to Garfield is very long day and overnight temps could be below freezing. Its a great hike but lot to be said to go up Greenleaf Trail to Lafayette and go north skipping the ridge walk from Haystack as you are going to be running out of daylight.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2018, 10:51
Oh yea, this is also Columbus day weekend and Canadian Thanksgiving so there will also be 100's of hikers from Quebec on the trail. Better get here tomorrow if you want to find a parking spot! And brush up on your French :) Either that or go someplace which is a lot less popular - but good luck finding such a place. I have a feeling even the more obscure trails will be busy too.

T.S.Kobzol
10-03-2018, 12:01
There are a few camping spots (official) along the road. See if you can head out on Thursday and score a site ..and you'll have your parking take care of...my son usually erect a throwaway tent while ge hikes the loop

sethd513
10-03-2018, 12:22
I wonder if I should do something like Davis path and just walk in find a spot and stay there for the night. I forgot about the holiday

Slo-go'en
10-03-2018, 14:05
I wonder if I should do something like Davis path and just walk in find a spot and stay there for the night. I forgot about the holiday

Yep, anywhere but the Franconia/Garfield ridge, the Pemmi or any trail leading to a 4000 footer. Although I bet Mt Isolation might be okay. There's a nice campsite at the old Rocky Branch #2 shelter site. If you get there early enough there's a better site at the Davis/Isolation trail junction.

sethd513
10-04-2018, 17:58
Yep, anywhere but the Franconia/Garfield ridge, the Pemmi or any trail leading to a 4000 footer. Although I bet Mt Isolation might be okay. There's a nice campsite at the old Rocky Branch #2 shelter site. If you get there early enough there's a better site at the Davis/Isolation trail junction.

Ok thank you. I think we are probably going to go that rout. I’m not sure which way to go In yet. What’s early for the site at the Davis/isolation junction? 2pm? 4pm? Regardless of time do you think there will be space at rocky branch #2?

I’m assuming for parking purposes I shouldn’t get to the trailhead any later then 630. If we did Pinkham notch it leaves some options for the way out.

Slo-go'en
10-04-2018, 20:21
Parking at Rocky Branch shouldn't be a problem. Parking at Pinkham might be an issue.

It's 3.7 to the Rocky branch shelter site, moderate, steady climb which levels out and goes back down hill towards the end. I left the parking lot early afternoon and had enough sun light to get to the site. BTW, once to the Isolation trail, the shelter site is to the left a little ways. No sign that it's there, but the trail passes right in front of the remains. Only space for a couple of tents, a strip of flat ground - old road bed looks like. The actual shelter site is rough. I did this trip early September last year, so had a little more evening daylight.

It's another 2.7 to the Davis/Isolation junction, but that is for the most part an easy level hike. There were several campsites along the stream there too. I would say a mid morning start would get you to the Davis path without any trouble, or at least to one of the sites along the way. I remember one was pretty inviting.

I suppose one could make it a loop back to Pinkham without a whole lot of effort. Just the climb up to Boot Spur. Heck, you only gain 1000 feet in 1.6 miles. The Glen boulder trail would be the easiest way to get back down.

Looks like it will be reasonably warm and dry until Monday night. I'm looking at a Sunday/Monday overnight hike somewhere myself. Won't say where :)

sethd513
10-05-2018, 06:31
Parking at Rocky Branch shouldn't be a problem. Parking at Pinkham might be an issue.

It's 3.7 to the Rocky branch shelter site, moderate, steady climb which levels out and goes back down hill towards the end. I left the parking lot early afternoon and had enough sun light to get to the site. BTW, once to the Isolation trail, the shelter site is to the left a little ways. No sign that it's there, but the trail passes right in front of the remains. Only space for a couple of tents, a strip of flat ground - old road bed looks like. The actual shelter site is rough. I did this trip early September last year, so had a little more evening daylight.

It's another 2.7 to the Davis/Isolation junction, but that is for the most part an easy level hike. There were several campsites along the stream there too. I would say a mid morning start would get you to the Davis path without any trouble, or at least to one of the sites along the way. I remember one was pretty inviting.

I suppose one could make it a loop back to Pinkham without a whole lot of effort. Just the climb up to Boot Spur. Heck, you only gain 1000 feet in 1.6 miles. The Glen boulder trail would be the easiest way to get back down.

Looks like it will be reasonably warm and dry until Monday night. I'm looking at a Sunday/Monday overnight hike somewhere myself. Won't say where :)

As always thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated

Slo-go'en
10-05-2018, 08:30
It might not be as warm as I thought it might be - was 34 this morning, but will warm up a little the next couple of days.

T.S.Kobzol
10-05-2018, 09:55
I'll be parking in the Lion's Den this Saturday morning - Lincoln Woods. [emoji1]

sethd513
10-05-2018, 14:53
It might not be as warm as I thought it might be - was 34 this morning, but will warm up a little the next couple of days.

Mountian weather is giving me teens consistently on isolation but higher summit and at weather is saying mid to low 40s. Usually not that much of a difference. Should be a nice day tm though. Hopefully get some views. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Slo-go'en
10-05-2018, 19:48
Well, we have a freeze warning for tonight, but the warm weather is slowly creeping back in. Will almost feel like summer later next week.