PDA

View Full Version : Would this Arcteryx work for me?

beast
10-03-2018, 09:30
Hi Guys,

Wanted to know what you thought about using an Alpha SV as an everyday jacket for going to work or getting around town. I would use it for the occasional winter hiking trips but that’s not the concern.
In black, the newer models are actually plain and smart enough to wear to a corporate office over a suit or around town but it is obviously also made for the outdoors. I am thinking I could get a coat that I could wear to work and also something I could use hiking and only have to splash out once.
Is it too hot to use when not in freezing temps and would it get too sweaty? Is the rainproofness of it actually any good? I see many reviews of it soaking through…
Also, would the upper shoulder/trap areas of the jacket get damaged by back pack straps when carrying 35-40+ Lbs loads?

colorado_rob
10-03-2018, 09:50
Don't own an SV (the heaviest, most expensive version), but I've owned an Alpha LT for 12 years, and an Alpha SL for 7, both in near perfect condition after a LOT of use including some really big mountain expeditions. I just cannot say enough good things about Arctyrx jackets... the fit is fantastic, the design is flawless and the construction is first rate. And they look cool. I agree, the black ones would make a decent looking jacket around town.

As far as "wetting out", that's probably people abusing them by hiking too fast and sweating heavily while wearing them. I've owned a lot of rain jackets over the years, and the Dead-bird (AKA Arctyrx) goretex pro jackets breathe as well as any of them, probably better than most. Those pit zips really help. AND, as with all rain jackets, they must be maintained, meaning wash them (gently!) every year or more (if heavily used) with the proper detergent, then reapply a spray on DWR "refresher" coating; this keeps the breathability in tact. The goretex liner should never leak (until breached or just plain worn out), but if you let the DWR coating fade away, the outer layer will wet out and the breatheability suffers greatly. If water stops beading up on the outer shell, refresh the DWR! Easy to do, takes a half an hour.

In the immortal paraphrased words of Ferris Bueller:" These jackets are sooooo sweet.... I highly recommend them, if you have the means" (they sure ain't cheap! But worth every shilling and they do go on sale now and then).

Here's three versions of Alpha's on top of North America:

Tipi Walter
10-03-2018, 10:07
I agree with Rob, my go-to survival jacket is the Alpha SV---a huge investment I made several years ago and never regretted it. But I didn't buy it to wear in the corporate office unless you consider crappy sleetstorms and 0F windstorms to be the headquarters of Miss Nature's world wide business enterprise. So yes, I do wear it to her corporate boardrooms . . .and her enticing outdoor bedrooms!

This one piece of gear has done more to keep alive than any other piece of gear---along with my down sleeping bag.

beast
10-03-2018, 10:30
Thanks very much Rob and Tipi.
How about for non-mountain hiking and rather winter forest hiking/backpacking?

In reality, what is the difference between the Alpha SV/AR and LT other than getting rid of pockets?
Its not like the material is thicker/thinner is it? I mean, they are all that 3 layer gore tex.
So what makes one better for severe weather for example?

Tipi Walter
10-03-2018, 10:33

In reality, what is the difference between the Alpha SV/AR and LT other than getting rid of pockets?
Its not like the material is thicker/thinner is it? I mean, they are all that 3 layer gore tex.
So what makes one better for severe weather for example?

Arcteryx''s "greek" nomenclature jackets are confusing model-wise but I do know my Alpha SV uses GTX ProShell fabric which is very awesome. No pinholes in this baby!!

colorado_rob
10-03-2018, 11:55

So what makes one better for severe weather for example? I suggest going directly to the Arcteryx site and doing a compare, here's a link that puts their jackets in ascending order, hence putting the Alpha's at the top:

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/c/mens/shell-jackets/?sort=name-ascending

THEN, there's the Beta jackets.... also very worthy, slightly different cut, check those out too. I believe the Alpha's are more geared towards climbing, with larger hoods (to fit over helmets) and higher breast pockets (to not interfere with a climbing harness). Perhaps the Beta would work for you.

My Alpha SL is the lightest, it uses merely Gortex "paclite" fabric, whereas my other Alpha uses Goretex pro (but is many ounces heavier). I reach for my SL in 3-seasons, but my "LT" in winter. (I don't see the LT model anymore, perhaps one of the others is equivalent, like the AR, but there is a Beta LT, check that one out).

I truly do believe these would look great for in town use, wearing to work, whatever, especially those black models. And sure, deep winter woods (or high alpine) use is their main strength.

Dogwood
10-03-2018, 21:14
Disclaimer: I receive Arcteryx Pro deals.

What CR and Tipi said.

Describe your winter trips.

That model AT is heavy and expensive but quite durable and protective.

I have the Incendo as a wind jacket for trail running and daily fitness uses, Gamma LT and Beta SL soft-shells, and an Alpha LT. Incendo looks and smells like it was just pulled off the rack. The soft-shells are largely an in crowd around town and out west cold weather pieces but I've used it for cold mountaineering and in outdoor volunteer work. The first soft-shell looks like I just bought it last wk. It was bought more than 6 yrs ago. The rain jacket I use for remote backing and other outdoor work in remote areas when dependability is needed but the most UL gear is not needed.

RockDoc
10-03-2018, 21:17
I have one it is good buy it

OwenM
10-04-2018, 05:28
Hi Guys,
Wanted to know what you thought about using an Alpha SV as an everyday jacket for going to work or getting around town. I would use it for the occasional winter hiking trips but that’s not the concern.
Asking if a SV will "work" when about anything would is silly. That and similar models are way overkill for backpacking, too, in anything short of mountaineering conditions. Weigh too much, cost too much, don't actually do anything special.
You're not going to rationalize or justify it in any practical sense, and are obviously only interested in the jacket for its brand name. But that's ok, Arcteryx makes some very nice stuff, and it's your money, so just go buy it if that's what you want.

Tipi Walter
10-04-2018, 09:54
Asking if a SV will "work" when about anything would is silly. That and similar models are way overkill for backpacking, too, in anything short of mountaineering conditions. Weigh too much, cost too much, don't actually do anything special.
You're not going to rationalize or justify it in any practical sense, and are obviously only interested in the jacket for its brand name. But that's ok, Arcteryx makes some very nice stuff, and it's your money, so just go buy it if that's what you want.

I love it when people throw around the word "mountaineering" as if it's a whole other beast than backpacking---as if mountaineers see conditions so much more worse than backpackers. And so in their minds logically the Alpha SV jacket is "made for mountaineering" and therefore not suitable for backpacking. It's weird.

Some backpackers stay out all winter and face the same conditions mountaineers face---high winds at -10F, sleetstorms, impending hypothermia, rainstorms at 35F for 3 days, white out blizzards---you name it.

The difference between the Arcteryx Alpha and any other rain jacket is it'll be there for you after 10 years of hard use which generally can't be said for other jackets. Oh, and of course the price is outlandish but then so is a Hilleberg tent and a subzero WM sleeping bag.

Regarding price, there's a tendency to practice buying "stupid cheap"---I think it's a Skurka concept. A perfect example is why I upgraded to the Alpha SV. My previous jacket was a Marmot Minima GTX in paclite at $200. After a couple years I noticed a dozen or so small holes in the thing and figured I wasted $200 on the Marmot when that money could've gone directly to an Arcteryx with the proshell. In other words, I settled for a low quality version of what I really needed and lost money in the process by not going directly to the best. Lesson learned.

OwenM
10-04-2018, 11:10
Laughable is you pretending conditions you have to seek out, and still only face once in a blue moon, are anything remotely resembling normal in TN. Who do you think you're kidding?
I've sought out those same conditions, and in the same general area, every single time we had a polar vortex, because I love the cold. I just happen to not be full of crap, and be able to read.
I didn't say the SV wasn't suitable, but that it's not going to be a practical purchase for someone who mainly wants a jacket to wear around town. Because it's not.

colorado_rob
10-04-2018, 12:04
I love it when people throw around the word "mountaineering" as if it's a whole other beast than backpacking---as if mountaineers see conditions so much more worse than backpackers. And so in their minds logically the Alpha SV jacket is "made for mountaineering" and therefore not suitable for backpacking. It's weird.

Some backpackers stay out all winter and face the same conditions mountaineers face---high winds at -10F, sleetstorms, impending hypothermia, rainstorms at 35F for 3 days, white out blizzards---you name it.

The difference between the Arcteryx Alpha and any other rain jacket is it'll be there for you after 10 years of hard use which generally can't be said for other jackets. Oh, and of course the price is outlandish but then so is a Hilleberg tent and a subzero WM sleeping bag. Being one of those year-'round backpackers myself (and a mountaineer) I agree, mostly, but there are some physical aspects of the Alpha that is a slight misfit for non-mountaineering, specifically the high pockets and large hood... the high pockets to accommodate access when wearing a climbing harness and the large hood for wearing over a climbing helmet. Also, lots of sharp things being handled in mountaineering (pickets, ice axes, ice screws, etc) that sure make it nice having a heavier jacket fabric that can stand up to such abuse.

That's why I mentioned the Beta models, or even Gamma (wait, is that soft shell.... I used to know the specific differences, but it has been too long since I looked to provide more details).

I also think the "LT" fabric (whatever that's called now) vs. the "SV" fabric would be plenty sufficient for non-mountaineering, but still full-on-harsh winter conditions, to save both weight and money. I do NOT suggest the "SL" (Gore paclight) for full on conditions though.

Again, not bad mouthing the Alpha! I own two, and I love 'em, both for mountaineering and winter backpacking; the high pockets are fine even without a harness, and the huge hood cinches down just fine. I'm only suggesting to the OP to look at the other Greek letters to save money and weight.

By the way, I backpack at high altitudes in Colorado every winter, many times, but I tell you.... -20F at 13000' and moderate winds are a helluva lot easier to handle than +35F in a mixed rain/sleet storm! The high, bitter cold conditions in Colorado are bone dry, even snowing like crazy, easier to handle.

OwenM
10-04-2018, 12:32
I also think the "LT" fabric (whatever that's called now)
FL? My friend that just went to CO with me took an Alpha FL shell. Goretex Pro, but no pitzips. Only 11 or 12oz, he said, and a very nice looking jacket.

We had 35F and rain at ~13k out there, but that seems like normal winter weather for us Southerners. Good hiking weather, and I never see what the fuss is about unless it lasts for days. When everything gets and stays wet..that's miserable, for sure.

Dogwood
10-04-2018, 14:55
When wanting/needing a high degree of durability, reliability, and protection in rough environs when mountaineering, cold weather backpacking, doing S&R, guiding, fishing, off trail backpacking, remote Montana, Alaska, or Idaho backpacking i.e; what CR and Tipi are also using AT models for, that's where AT gear shines.

Don't forget the OP is asking his questions based on his U.K. usages...on winter U.K. backpacking trips and probably cold blustery wet U.K. days and nights traveling back and forth off trail. I can see many yrs of UK use and protection with his model although CR brings up good pts about that chosen model and to carefully peruse the AT website for possible viable other AT options.

beast
10-12-2018, 09:08
Guys, you make great points and i really appreciate the differing viewpoints.
To be honest, i thought of the alpha because apparently and from trying it out in a store, it was the least baggy in the arms which is something i liked.
As for the SV, i figured if it was the most hard wearing fabric, it would be the most durable and last the longest.
I am in the UK where it rains a lot and also in Switzerland where it rains a fair bit too but also gets cold and snowy in the winter. Obviously, in the rain it will be great. In the snow it will be good too. I could probably use it OK for skiing - not ideal because there is no snow skirt but not the worst.

I have read that it wouldn't be good bushcraftingand too easily trashed in walking through and working in a woodland environment like pushing through undergrowth, carry firewood on your shoulders etc.

Tipi Walter
10-12-2018, 12:00
I have read that it wouldn't be good bushcraftingand too easily trashed in walking through and working in a woodland environment like pushing through undergrowth, carry firewood on your shoulders etc.

In all my years of so-called bushcrafting I didn't have the cash for anything made by Arcteryx---so that was settled.

Living in the woods on a permanent basis in a primitive shelter with a woodstove---cutting and splitting wood, hauling water, clearing trail to your lodge etc---the best clothing is old goodwill wool sweaters and Army BDU pants and cheap heavy fleece jackets and cheap ski or hunting gloves.

Here's some pics taken my Tipi years---1980 to 2001---check out my layers---

https://photos.smugmug.com/BooneYears/Tipi-Life/i-cLb7tbz/0/9484cfaa/XL/TW%20in%20the%20snow%20at%20the%20lodge-XL.jpg
Want to do alot of work in the snow? Wear a cheap fleece jacket---along with a cheap balaclava. (Check out the red homemade hiking stick).

Splitting wood day. This pic shows the cheap fleece jacket and the uber cheap gloves.

You can also use an old hudson bay type wool blanket to make a capote---typical mountain man type gear from the 1830s etc.