PDA

View Full Version : Trail access options near Little Laurel Shelter - TN

FlyPaper
10-03-2018, 12:06
I'm setting up a hike and trying to find a way to allow friends to join mid-hike.

Google maps shows roads coming very close to the AT just north of Little Laurel Shelter in TN.

Here is a google map showing precisely where I'm hoping to find access and/or parking. If you can help, please reply to this or mark the google map with helpful information.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18_UHf_gM_oeRnrOaVED5vCB12GJssfdC&usp=sharing

Slo-go'en
10-03-2018, 14:08
There's a good sized parking lot where the trial crosses Dennis cove road. (which is an insane, steep, narrow twisty road up from Hampton - the highlight of going to town from the Kincora hostel). From the parking lot it's maybe a 10 minute walk to the shelter.

illabelle
10-03-2018, 14:16
There's a good sized parking lot where the trial crosses Dennis cove road. (which is an insane, steep, narrow twisty road up from Hampton - the highlight of going to town from the Kincora hostel). From the parking lot it's maybe a 10 minute walk to the shelter.

Might be confusing Little Laurel Shelter and Laurel Fork Shelter.

FlyPaper
10-03-2018, 16:03
Might be confusing Little Laurel Shelter and Laurel Fork Shelter.

Correct. "Little Laurel Shelter" is a good bit south of "Laurel Fork Shelter". I'm familiar with the latter, but not the former. Confusing names though.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2018, 20:29
Correct. "Little Laurel Shelter" is a good bit south of "Laurel Fork Shelter". I'm familiar with the latter, but not the former. Confusing names though.

-Where the heck is Little Laurel? Oh way down there. I think the closest you can get with direct road access is about 4 miles south of the shelter at TN70/NC208. There is a dirt road the trail crosses a few miles farther north, but it's private and no parking.

The point you show on google maps looks to be on the wrong side of the ridge and getting there would no doubt be an adventure in it's own right. Those roads may not even be passable. Not something you could expect friends to want to navigate, then bushwhack over the top of the ridge in hope of finding the trial.

Mr. Bumpy
10-04-2018, 07:16
Yes. The road that runs up to Viking Mt. is open three seasons and passable. You do not need high clearance vehicle. It is paved and dirt. It is very, very step in places and ices up in winter. It would be a great meeting place for what you describe since the climb is already done. Viking Mt. was a failed development built during the 70's. Now there is an antenna complex on the south (west) end of the area and a grassy high area on the north (east) side of the area. Because the Viking Mt. area is long and narrow, and because there are at least two well established trails down to the AT and multiple places where it is an easy bushwhack down to the AT i can imagine situations where people trying to connect up there missing each other. I would recommend to meet near the antenna building which is where the blue blaze comes up from the south side.
You may wish to call the forest service or maybe Hemlock Hollow to find seasonal closures if in effect.
If you want your friends to get the most bang for their buck meet at viking mt and do an out and back using the Shelton Graves as a turn around for them.
Another option is to have them park at the Big Creek Rec Area off of NC 212. From there is a very steep 2 mile hike up to Jerry Cabin, but it wouldn't be as rewarding of a hike.

Mr. Bumpy
10-04-2018, 07:20
PS. Getting the trails illustrated map for that area will explain a lot.

FlyPaper
10-04-2018, 10:14
PS. Getting the trails illustrated map for that area will explain a lot.

Thanks for the info and suggestion.

Mr. Bumpy
10-04-2018, 12:20
That ridgeline in Madison County, actually the whole section between Allen Gap and Sams Gap doesn't get as much attention because access is a little bit tighter than places such as Max Patch, Beauty Spot, and Roan Mt, but I think is as good and in many ways more rewarding of a hike than the more popular places. You will see people along that section, but you don't get the car loads of day users like you do elsewhere.
Every couple of years I typically make a Sams Gap to Hot Springs hike which I have done maybe 6-8 times. I never bored of doing it, and there are some loop hikes that you can set up from the Big Creek area.

Tennessee Viking
10-04-2018, 17:07
Been up there many times. But I would say TheCleaner is the resident expert for that area.

But I will say
From Erwin, go down the old Chucky Highway. And go by the Mennonite Farmers Daughter restaurant and the next door grocery.

From Greeneville TN, take TN 70 to NC Stateline. Turn left onto Viking Mtn Road...

1. You can go up to Hemlock Hollow Inn and Cabins. And take the Log Cabin Rd (dirt road) to access the AT.
2. You can take Viking Mtn road all the way and drive up mountain to Jones Meadow which is the open grassy area. DON'T DRIVE UP to the old firetower and antennas (Camp Creek Bald). BAD ROAD!!!
There is a small rutted road to go down and a short blue blazed access trail to the AT. NOBO goes to the exposed trail and cliff side trails. SOBO goes back to Camp Creek Bald and goes to Little Laurel.

Alternatives - Maps say they are all connectors but you have to push through brush to get to the AT. All are steep as hell.
Near Exposed trail-
Jerry Miller Trail is a bit tough and remote.
Round Knob Picnic area

End at a mtn top parking area close to Jerry Cabin; faint trails to the AT-
Horse Creek Forest Road
Horse Creek Forest Road but turn onto Poplar/Sarvis Cove Trails

If they are coming in from Hot Springs, you can follow the signs to Paint Creek Corridor Rec Area. And drive up the Rich Mtn/Hurricane Gap Rd up the mtn. Park at Hurricane Gap and walk up to Rich Mtn

FlyPaper
10-06-2018, 12:37
Thanks for this info. I pulled up the USFS map and read along and it was very clear.

DownYonder
10-14-2018, 14:26
Any suggestions on who does a shuttle to Jones Meadows from the Hot Springs area?