PDA

View Full Version : Is getting a spot in hostel purely luck of the draw?

DavidNH
02-19-2006, 21:25
Ok..

It seems there are some hostels that everyone wants to stay at. Kincora Hostel. Miss Janets, the Doyle Hotel. Shaws. I have already read so much about Miss Janet that I really want to stay there ..kinda part of the experience.

But with all the thru hikers on the AT and the popularity of some of these places.. is it just luck of the draw finding room to spend the night? can one call a couple days ahead and reserve?

I am guessing (hoping?) that there are always near by alternatives when a given hostel is full.

Anyone have any stories of times they were counting on staying at a particular place and it was full? Did you find good place not far away as alternative?

DavidNH

MOWGLI
02-19-2006, 21:41
Anyone have any stories of times they were counting on staying at a particular place and it was full? Did you find good place not far away as alternative?

DavidNH

I counted on staying at Elmers in 2000 but another hiker beat me to town and reserved all the remaining spots for his 4 buddies behind me on the trail. I ended up in the motel, but I was ticked for a while at missing out on the veggie meal. With the proliferation of cell phones, I'm sure this kind of BS has only increased in the last 6 years. To me, a slot (in an on-trail hostel) should go to the person who gets to the establishment first. But if I owned a trail business, maybe I'd feel differently.

weary
02-19-2006, 22:16
I counted on staying at Elmers in 2000 but another hiker beat me to town and reserved all the remaining spots for his 4 buddies behind me on the trail. I ended up in the motel, but I was ticked for a while at missing out on the veggie meal. With the proliferation of cell phones, I'm sure this kind of BS has only increased in the last 6 years. To me, a slot (in an on-trail hostel) should go to the person who gets to the establishment first. But if I owned a trail business, maybe I'd feel differently.
In my experience: Some hostels are really trail friendly businesses. Others are hiker friiendly hobbies that hope to at least break even. Some are subject to municipal, state and county regulations. Some aren't. But most will try to squeeze you in, if possible.

Regardless. Only one or two take reservations. Which means regardless of category, one doesn't have much choice.

digger51
02-20-2006, 01:02
The trick is to walk a little extra the day before a hostel and be the first on the trail in the morning. Most hostels are first come first served. Just beware that if you are the first out in the morning you will break all the spider webs, but a small price to pay to spend the night in some of these great places. If you are planning on staying in a motel just call ahead and make a reservation.

Downunda
02-20-2006, 05:15
The only problem I had was getting into Elmers, it was full when I got there around 11am. It seems most people staying there booked ahead. That's not a relaxing hike that's running to a timetable.

If have to book ahead to stay at any hostel I may as well leave the trail and go back to the rat-race! My appraoch is if they are full I resupply and move on or find alternative accomodation.

One of the problems that Lone Wolf raised that I agree with is that some hikers stay too long a time at some hostels.

rumbler
02-20-2006, 07:17
One of the problems that Lone Wolf raised that I agree with is that some hikers stay too long a time at some hostels.

When I went through Miss Janet's the place was a recuperation ward. Pretty entertaining actually - a hardcore group spent about a week in the front room with their feet/knees bandaged and elevated watching TV. So entertaining I think I myself spent a couple of extra days there, although I blame that on Bela Fleck.

Turbo Joe
02-20-2006, 09:14
i have never stayed at miss janets although i did meet her in erwin. i was planning on staying at uncle johnnys but all the other hikers told me miss janets was the place to be. and one mile before town i met a section hiker headed south he told me the best southern motel now has hiker rates for 20 a room $5 dollars more than miss janets but your own room with a phone plus the owners stock the hiker box. i guess their not aware that hikers are supposed to do that.

neo
02-20-2006, 10:23
not a problem for me i section hike during non peak season,when i do my thru hike after i retire,i will go south bound to avoid the crowds,:cool: neo

Kerosene
02-20-2006, 10:44
Rumbler: Who is Bela Fleck?

Lone Wolf
02-20-2006, 10:48
www.flecktones.com/welcome.asp

Blue Jay
02-20-2006, 10:59
I'm 0 for 4 at Elmers and I'm never there during peak thru. As with most things on the AT, it's the luck of the draw.

rumbler
02-20-2006, 21:27
Rumbler: Who is Bela Fleck?

A tooky yet oh so talented picker who played in Johnson City to about 100 clean Johnson City residents and about 15 smelly hikers, one of many courtesies extended by Miss Janet. I had a lot of beers that have tasted particularly sweet while hiking, but those pitchers in JC rank toward the top of that list.

The evening's musical finale - four hands playing two intertwining melodies on one banjo - still leaves me shaking my head. Fun night.

Footslogger
02-20-2006, 23:19
[quote=DavidNH]Anyone have any stories of times they were counting on staying at a particular place and it was full? Did you find good place not far away as alternative?
=======================================
I got to Kincora about 4 in the afternoon on my thru in 2003 and the place was bursting at the seams. From prior experience I knew that Bob allowed hikers to sleep outside on the front porch (not the side one with the picnic tables) so I spread out my stuff and called it home for the night.

Other than that I don't remember ever having gotten to a hostel during my hike and finding it full. Lucky I guess.

'Slogger

Mouse
02-20-2006, 23:27
I think getting into shelters, especially small ones, was more of a challenge. Either way, I found the trick was arrive early.

Old Spice
02-20-2006, 23:31
I already have my whole thru booked for hostel stays.

saimyoji
02-20-2006, 23:35
I already have my whole thru booked for hostel stays.

What if you get off schedule?

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2006, 14:29
As someone already mentioned, getting to a hostel early in the day is key, especially the smaller ones where space is more limited. If you arrive at a place in mid to late afternon, it'l very likely be full.

Also, keep in mind that in just about every case, if a place is fulll when you get there, you always have alternatives (The Braemar in Hampton TN is a great place, for example; there are also other alternatives in Erwin, Hot Springs, etc.).

Some places have a "waiting list". For example, in recent years, when Janet is full up, she posts a sign-up list so that those planng to take a zero day the next day can sign up for a spot in the house when one opens up. Keep in mind, tho, that she's never sure how many folks will be moving on.....if the weather is horrible the next morning, folks who planned to move on might end up sticking around, so only a few spots might open up instead of a whole bunch.

In short, except for the few places that accept reservations, you're NOT guaranteed a spot in a hostel, but you'll always find a way of dealing with it.

A-Train
02-21-2006, 22:41
yeah, as someone mentioned, reserving spots via cellphone calls, or "holding" spots for friends who haven't made it to town is very uncool. The hiker should be physically present to reserve a spot.

Popular places like Miss Janets, Kincorra and Elmers will be hard to get spots in if traveling with large groups. That's something to keep in mind. If I were to hike again, I probably wouldn't have fallen in-step with so many other folks. It was great to have good people around, but made for a bit of competition and worries once everyone arrived in town.

As Jack stated, alternatives are good. Kincorra was jammed with people when I was there. I ended up hanging around, and then moving down the road to the Laurel Creek place to have a great quiet evening. Miss Janets was also difficult to get a place during a snow storm when she had TONS of hikers trying to get 12 bunks. Lastly Elmers was full the night I arrived (after 20 miles), so I opted for the motel. I took a zero and was able to get in the next day. However, I was upset at Elmer's disorganization as far as booking rooms. I had asked several times and he kept allowing other folks to stay there who were coming in off the trail while I was waiting.

Old Spice
02-21-2006, 22:46
A-Train... tag you're it.

Disney
02-22-2006, 00:56
With Elmers, Miss Janet's and Kincora, I would advise not sleeping in the shelter, but camping (possibly stealth) a mile or two outside of town. Chances are alot of people will be wanting to get an early start. Miss Janet's is always open but I've heard Elmer's closes occasionally. Calling from Fontana Dam or just after the smokies might be a good idea.

galaleemc
03-19-2006, 13:37
We just opened our vacation rental home to hikers "hostel style". We are 1.5 miles on Highway 76 East towards Hiawassee.
Our policy will be first come first served, for AT hikers and regular rentals.
AT Hikers can book ahead as a group for a full daily rental.
We can sleep 12 in shared beds (4 in sleeper sofas) or more on floor.
Rates START at $20 per person. Bathrooms are shared.
We have a JACUZZI (some swimsuits), ping-pong and pool table and bikes for free use.
Sheets, towels and laundry each $5. Trout ponds u-catch $5 per pound.
We will provide some food to eat and some for sale, or you can cook in the fully equipped kitchen.

We go up the the trail through out the day to see if anyone would like a ride to us or town, or anyplace in-between at no charge.

Please see full details at our site and it links you to VRBO for full info.

We would love to meet you and have you here as our guests. We treat everyone like you are our best friends.

:welcome Laura and Frank
http://www.upperhightowertrout.com

P.S. We had our first guests two nights ago and hope to have a comment from them in a few days when they can get to a computer.

Sly
03-19-2006, 14:01
We just opened our vacation rental home to hikers "hostel style". We are 1.5 miles on Highway 76 East towards Hiawassee.

Wouldn't that be west on Hwy 76 towards Hiawassee?

galaleemc
03-19-2006, 18:05
Thanks for catching that Sly