PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Tour of the AT

colbys
02-19-2006, 21:28
Just wondering if putting together something like that would be feasible..i mean if you go to a hotel website or shop for a house online,you can take a"virtual tour" of the room,hotel or property ,or most anything these days online..
i know we have websites that have plenty of pics on the trail,this one included...that are great pics..
but if someone had hundreds(thousands) of pictures,and put them in continous order of the at,places on the at,hostels,anything and everything of things along the trail,i think it would be quite a thing to see.
put some cool sounding AT music to it...a narrator(s) describing things,places state by state.
it would be a hell of job to put it all together,and if all the pics were taken by the same people or a team and then put in order of seasons along a typical south to north route..
of course im sure we all would rather be out there and see it for ourselves and do it ourselves, but there are plenty of people who would go to the website that will never get out to the trail or hike it..this would be the next best thing...

Programbo
02-19-2006, 22:46
If someone were bored enough they could get 300 people or so with camcorders and each one hike just a select 7-8 mile (Two hours worth) of the trail with the camcorder rolling the entire time straight ahead and you could slowly buy the whole series like those Civil War books and eventually you`d have a full thru-hike on tape to watch

RITBlake
02-19-2006, 23:04
Wasn't there a photo project going on at one point to capture 'one day on the AT' Meaning a group of people take a picture of a particular section on the at on a given day at the same time and then compare the results???

What ever came about from this?

Billygoatbritt
02-19-2006, 23:25
Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Many people went out that day on their assigned sections of the trail. Some had great weather, and some did not. After that day was over we were to get the pictures developed digitally and then send them in. Many volunteers sent their respective photos and then nothing ever happened. The web site is gone without so much of an email notice to let us know our efforts had failed. On the positive side, I managed to take some good shots and actually spent more time along that section having fun. Otherwise I might have hiked much faster and missed some of the beauty surrounding Mt. Rogers.

colbys
02-20-2006, 01:01
hmm,first time ive heard about that project.so if someone did make a really cool virtual tour,who could we get as a narrator(s)?.
I vote for some nice folksy singer maybe,or maybe an accomplished narrator or actor,..............or maybe just a plain old A.T. veteran hiker who knows alot about the trail and who has thru hiked a few times......for ex."HERE IN LOVELY MAINE,WE HAVE THE MAHOUUSIC NOTCH,A PAIN IN THE ASS OF A MILE TO HIKE....,(light banjo music in background).

SGTdirtman
02-20-2006, 21:21
Me and my friends hike the NJ section every year and sometimes PA & NY (we never get enough time off to do more than 3-4 days of hiking at a time)

This year we somehow managed to get 6 days off and we realized we have alot more days than we need so we had planned on hiking considerably slower and doing a pretty in depth photo tour of NJ's trail section. Its only NJ but we think it should be pretty good stuff. Along with regular cameras we bought a couple small video cameras that mount like head lamps and have a regular video camera for the more scenic areas and camp.

The bad part is we are going in april and not many thru-hikers are in NJ at that time. Its really alot of fun to talk to the thru-hikers and hear all the stories. we went in june last year and hiked the trail with a group of thru hikers from PA to the NY border. A really awsome bunch! It be great to go back again this year in june and do the same type of video for a day but get some stories and insight from the thru-hikers instead of just seeing what us lazy weekend warriors do.

But at any rate I think if all goes well we could be able to make a virtual tour of at least a small part of the trail... We were just gonna do it so we could show all our families, but if anyone has any insight or thinks its something other hikers might enjoy chime in.

Turbo Joe
02-20-2006, 23:06
im just wondering how long until some guy who absolutley hates hiking makes a deal with discovery channel to hike the whole thing

Turbo Joe
02-20-2006, 23:07
im just wondering how long until some guy who absolutley hates hiking makes a deal with discovery channel to hike the whole thing in responce to my own statement... i would probably sit down and watch it when he's done.

colbys
02-21-2006, 10:56
yeah turbo,im surprised that nothing like that has happened either.i mean their is pleanty of really good movie about thru-hiking on the at to come out in the last 5 years or so.but have yet to see a high budget cable show about it.ie discovery or travel channel show.hell,im sure the discussion of an at reality show has come up in the talk in major network studios? hmm.maybe i should start another thread on that..?