PDA

View Full Version : Making Gatewood bug nest taut

Midwest Mike
10-08-2018, 13:48
So with enough time and a reasonably decent campsite, I can get my Cape good and tight. That SMD NetTent is another story. The damn thing seems to sag no matter what I do, and it's so small already that there's not a lot of margin. I already attach the bug nest toggle to the loop on the Cape's right side and then make the Cape tighter there with a second pole. All my searches turn up threads on how to keep the tarp taut, not the bug nest.

Any great thoughts? Thanks!

Slo-go'en
10-08-2018, 15:19
You mean getting it to look like this:

To hold the top up, I put the hole in the center line clip into the tip of my pole, then put the Cape's spider over that to hold it in place. Then I go around and clip the elastic tie outs around the string on the Cape's tie outs.

QiWiz
10-08-2018, 15:22
I used a Gatewood Cape for many years. If you pitch it a bit higher, this will help make the NetTent more taught.

George
10-08-2018, 21:43
I used a Gatewood Cape for many years. If you pitch it a bit higher, this will help make the NetTent more taught.

yeah, you need kind of a long ass stick

Midwest Mike
10-09-2018, 19:52
Thanks, everyone, and especially thanks Slo-go'en (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/17852-Slo-go-en) for the photos!

Slo-go'en
10-09-2018, 21:07
If you use the Serenity net by it's self, it's better to orientate the hiking pole tip down. The tip goes into the grommet at the center of the bathtub and the center line goes through the wrist strap on the handle of the pole.