PDA

View Full Version : Possible Issues with Hurricane Michael in the South?

Leviathan84
10-09-2018, 19:52
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has some input on the effects of hurricane Michael on the southern portion of the AT next week. I am planning a trip from Dicks Creek Gap to the NOC this Saturday (10-13-2018). So far the storm is projected to swing south of the NC section but I know how the mountains are down here. Do you guys think it will be safe to start this trip from Dicks Creek Gap heading north or should I hold out for the entire system to pass? Thanks in advance!

Slo-go'en
10-09-2018, 20:58
No matter which way it tracks, it should be long gone by Saturday. In fact, it will be all the way past Newfound land by then. The only question will be if it does any damage to the trail as it passes by Thursday. Unless it tracks well west and north of the projected center line, then any damage, if any, would be minimal.

Pondjumpr
10-10-2018, 16:26
I agree with @slo-go'en. I am doing about half of the Foothills Trail (Northwestern South Carolina) Friday through Sunday and it appears that all the rain and weather will be well past us by Thursday evening. The storm is fast moving. It also appears that by middle Georgia, the winds will have calmed greatly and hopefully will amount to little more than a normal storm. You should be fine.

TOW
10-10-2018, 16:35
It's a big issue heading this way

HooKooDooKu
10-10-2018, 16:44
The water sources shouldn't be dry.

TOW
10-10-2018, 16:54
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1028539/Hurricane-Michael-map-NOAA-path-update-Florida-Georgia

Slo-go'en
10-10-2018, 17:34
Man, all of a sudden this thing became a monster. Now their saying it could maintain hurricane force winds all the way into Georgia. SW NC could be hit pretty good too. It's still moving pretty fast, but the amount of damage left in it's wake will be substantial. I'd stay home for awhile.

DownYonder
10-10-2018, 17:54
Spent last night at No Business Shelter. The wind was insane. Sounded like we were camped at the end of an airport runway with jumbo jets taking off every 15-20 seconds. Heard several trees come down. Be careful folks. It gets crazy up high!!!

Venchka
10-10-2018, 17:57
Not sure if it’s related to the hurricane, but Boone, NC is experiencing some localized street flooding today, Thursday afternoon.
Projected rainfall maps are showing rain along the entire TN-NC border from the hurricane.
Stay dry and be safe.
Wayne

LesterC
10-10-2018, 18:44
I live about 60 miles NE of Tallahassee and have been watching huge long leaf pines bending in 40 mph gusts all afternoon. I had planned to leave this morning to drive to Erwin to hike nobo to 19E. Decided to wait it out and leave Thursday morning. It seems it will pass through quickly as it has all afternoon. We are supposed to be calm by the morning with clear skies by Thursday afternoon.

Local weather at Roan Mountain shows Thursday will be very rainy and sunny on Friday and Saturday. Believe me, we have had nothing to do but read and watch Weather Channel all day so I have become very familiar with all the forecasts, and I believe the southern Appalachians should have sunny weather by Friday. Michael will pass by quickly, and it is already weakening. A few minutes ago the eye was disappearing on my radar.

Sorry for being verbose. Enjoy a great walk this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
10-11-2018, 07:16
I live down in the valleys in the westernmost county in NC, about 30 minutes from the NOC. We have had about 1.5 inches of rain so far with not much else expected. Little wind. Now the higher elevations may be a different story, but I expect it not to be too bad. You will be fine by next week, IMHO. There may be some new blow downs to deal with. Happy hiking. :)

Thedude18e
10-11-2018, 08:07
I'm going from Woody Gap (Mi. 20.5) to Long Creek Falls (Mi. 5.2ish) tomorrow. I'm expecting maybe a few downed trees, but that's about it. Water sources should be good though. I think you should be fine further north where you're heading.

skater
10-11-2018, 18:37
I hiked from Tray Mtn Shelter to Dick's Creek Gap yesterday and today. Zero significant blowdowns in that section.