PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Section Questions

Dave568
02-19-2006, 22:46
Hello everyone,

I am planning on hiking the Massachusetts section of the AT this summer. I have never been on it, or any other part of the AT trail before, so I am unsure of what to expect. I was just hoping to get some trail-specific advice from other members here who have hiked this section before. I am planning on hiking it in August, due to time constraints with work. I'd really appreciate any information anyone has to share with me.

Tin Man
02-20-2006, 00:32
What would you like to know? It is fairly easy compared to VT and points north. There are many towns for resupply or hanging out. I heard about some good places in Dalton, sounds like a party town if that is your thing. I party on the trail. Greylock is a little bit of a challenge, but not too bad. Water sources are reliable. The shelters have there usual array of hot and cold running mice. There is a Rent-a-Wreck place about 1/4 mile down the street in North Adams that proved handy for us. Toward the southern end is the famous Upper Goose Pond shelter with access to a canoe and all you can eat pancakes by the caretaker, which I hear is an excellent stop. Alas, we were was just passing through and made no stops other than a quick bite and pint in Dalton.

Chef2000
02-20-2006, 10:20
Dave feek free to PM me I have hiked the MAss section twice and also maintain a 4 mile section of it. Ill be happy to answer any question I can

neo
02-20-2006, 10:26
make sure to stop at robs house in dalton mass:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/displayimage.php?imageid=9069 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9069&original=1&c=665&userid=3462)

neo
02-20-2006, 10:27
make sure to stop at robs house in dalton mass:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/displayimage.php?imageid=9069 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9069&original=1&c=665&userid=3462)

rob is the greatest:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9069&c=665&userid=3462

neighbor dave
02-20-2006, 11:40
bring bug dope yikes!! have also hiked thru ma twice. the skeeters are relentless!!

max patch
02-20-2006, 13:00
I hit MA in August on my thru and the mosquittos were easily the worst that I experienced on my hike. Be prepared.

Jeff
02-20-2006, 16:27
I sectioned MA first week of May '05....no bugs at all. Greylock was pretty cold that time of year, but great views with little to no haze.

Tinker
02-20-2006, 17:03
Mass.= Lots of road crossings, low ridges, deep woods, a few ponds, easy resupply. Imho, a nice place to begin section hiking. Do take heed to the bug warnings. If at all possible, plan on tenting on one of the platforms in Sages Ravine. It's probably the most beautiful place in Mass. Use a tent with lots of mesh, or a tarp with a good bug bivy. It gets very muggy in August on the AT in Mass.

Use Permethrin insect repellant on your clothes, too. The Trail in Mass. crosses many fields. Ticks are supposed to be especially bad this year due to the warm winter.

Tinker
02-20-2006, 17:05
Mass.= Lots of road crossings, low ridges, deep woods, a few ponds, easy resupply. Imho, a nice place to begin section hiking. Do take heed to the bug warnings. If at all possible, plan on tenting on one of the platforms in Sages Ravine. It's probably the most beautiful place in Mass. Use a tent with lots of mesh, or a tarp with a good bug bivy. It gets very muggy in August on the AT in Mass.

Use Permethrin insect repellant on your clothes, too. The Trail in Mass. crosses many fields. Ticks are supposed to be especially bad this year due to the warm winter.

Oops! Before Neo takes me to task................. It's perfectly acceptable, even preferable in Mass. to use a hammock.:D

The Solemates
02-20-2006, 17:05
the mosquitoes in certain portions of MA were the worst i have ever seen in the US, and I have hiked in swamplands before in the Deep South, coastal regions with many sandflats, and also in AK where the mosquitoes are the size of a quarter. but the shear numbers of skeeters in MA, especially the first 20-30 miles of the AT coming NOBO, are astounding. it gives me nightmares to this day. we came through in late May.

Ender
02-20-2006, 18:14
The worst bugs on the trail are found in MA. make sure you brng a long lasting bug juice. Seriously. Jersey bugs hold nothing on MA bugs.

That being said, MA is great. Gorgeous. And in MA you first start feeling the northern woods... at least I did. It's relatively nice hiking, becoming more steep in the northern part of the state.

Enjoy!

Chef2000
02-20-2006, 18:23
I guess hiking in Mass all my life I do not think the bugs are to bad, this year should actually be decent, there is snow out there. Unless we have a really wet spring things could be a little dry.

Of course I always wear 100 percent deet REI Bug Juice

Cookerhiker
02-20-2006, 18:23
I covered Mass in 2 section hikes - October '02 and April '05. Both times I missed the mosquitos. Enjoy Sages Ravine and Race Mountain. The latter is a nice ascent and cool ridgeline - much more interesting IMO than Mt. Everett immediately north. Most of MA is easy but I recall the stretch between Rt. 7 and Rt. 23 taking longer than I thought because of many little up-and-downs and rocky footing along with deep beds of leaves.

The ponds - Upper Goose, Benedict, Lake Buel among others - are very scenic and worth tarrying in non-bug season.

I hiked over Greylock northbound. The steepest parts were the first mile from Cheshire and the last mile. Also the last 1-2 miles were wet - the Trail was a river in places.

Happy hiking!

Toolshed
02-20-2006, 18:26
Used to live in Mass. August is pretty buggy and muggy. You wil have some high humidity days and the state bird should be the mosquitoe. The trail sin't too terribly difficult though and I think it is the first time since Virginia that you get over 2000 feet.