PDA

View Full Version : Any Backpackers Out in Blizzard of '93?

Tipi Walter
02-19-2006, 23:10
2006 is having a fine Appalachian winter and my previous weeks out in it have caused me to ask this question about another winter 13 years ago almost to the day. I'm interested in hearing about people who were out that weekend or the week after, where they were and what kind of gear they were carrying.

Israel
02-20-2006, 00:08
I started 2 weeks after the storm in '93. I had already hiked GA and NC so i started @ Fontana. There were still 6' drifts in the smokies. Lots of my fellow hikers that year were stuck in the woods for more than they wanted during that storm....LOTS of snow.

weary
02-20-2006, 11:14
2006 is having a fine Appalachian winter and my previous weeks out in it have caused me to ask this question about another winter 13 years ago almost to the day. I'm interested in hearing about people who were out that weekend or the week after, where they were and what kind of gear they were carrying.
I was a late starter, mid-april, so I missed the big storm. I was appalled, however, to hear that some hikers were forced against their will to leave the trail by rescuers. These were guys with a a week's worth of food, that without the rigors of daily walking that would have lasted many days of waiting for the deep snow to subside. Big Brother was alive and well in 1993.

Weary

max patch
02-20-2006, 11:19
"Pig Hill" BBQ in Elijay which many of you will pass on the way to USFS 42 had newspaper articles on the wall about the blizzard. The Atlanta airport actually was closed down because of all the snow.

colbys
02-21-2006, 10:59
man there is nothing like turning up that access road to springer on a noce warm spring day and takin that dam pot holed road to the approach trail.long and bumby but well worth the wear on my car(or rental) to ge to majic mountain(springer).