PDA

View Full Version : Gear

roxy33x
02-19-2006, 23:50
:-? So Im trying to decide on some gear, since I have close to none being so inexperienced (am I crazy being so ambitious?) And I was wondering if any one had heard of the new Nemo Morpho Tent? It has airbeams that are inflated using a foot pump, and it only takes 45 seconds! Its a little heavier that Id like at 4.8lbs but wow! you can check it out at www.nemoequipment.com (http://www.nemoequipment.com) . It is a little pricy!

roxy33x
02-19-2006, 23:51
Also, what do you all recommend using for camp shoes that are kinda light?

Old Spice
02-20-2006, 00:12
Are you for real? My pack, sleeping bag, and tarp, weigh just under 4lbs. You will figure it out, just stick around.

mambo_tango
02-20-2006, 00:53
4.8lbs does seem a little heavy (especially if it is just you) and it will only get heavier the more you hike! Personally the simpler it is the more I like it.

BigToe
02-20-2006, 01:16
Love my Crocs for light camp shoes - find 'em at Campmor. Alternatively Waldies may be found on the web. The Crocs have a back strap which I prefer - the Waldies are backless.

Blissful
02-20-2006, 01:31
or get the fake crocs at Payless - I got mine for $6 on clearance and so far they are holding up. :)

As for tents - get a tarp tent from Henry Shire.

And best idea of all - get out there and hike / backpack all you can in all kinds of conditions this spring / summer to see what it's like. Don't try to thru hike without finding out how to deal with the hard stuff - like being cold, wet, hot, dehydrated, hungry, achy, angry, etc. Most of this is mental.

roxy33x
02-20-2006, 05:25
Thanks guys this is helpful! im not going alone, I will be going with my husband so the weight will be shared... though I think I will look into the cheaper, lighter options....

roxy33x
02-20-2006, 05:26
What is it specifically that you like so much about the crocs? Are they light weight?

onicoe
02-20-2006, 07:35
i'm bringing aquasocks with me for camp shoes. they're cheap and light. basically just thin rubber soles with mesh nylon for the rest of the shoe. [:

i can't help you with the tent because i'm doing the hammock thing.

hopefulhiker
02-20-2006, 07:47
Ditto on the Henry Shires's Tarp Tent.. less than two lb's. Watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves....
I used flip flops from Walmart.. Almost five pounds for a tent? Who else is going with you?

chicote
02-20-2006, 12:01
Roxy, you can check out Jesse Browns and Great Outdoor Provision Co for the Crocs and other gear (you might already have) and I know GOP will try their best to match prices and give discounts. That nemo tent does look cool though. Some of their tents seem to be light enough for two. Kel and I are bringing a Northface Tadpole, just under 5 pounds but about 3.5 pounds lighter than my old tent. You could Contact that company and see if they would give you one for their first tent on a through hike.

Blissful
02-20-2006, 16:16
Nice thing aobut crocs or croc lookalikes for me is that they are extremely light and can be worn with socks (like Acorn socks) to keep your feet semi-warm in the colder months. I was going to bring just sandals myself but decided the crocs were good as all around foot protection while in camp. Also, they are awesome for river crossings and dry super quick.

mindi
02-23-2006, 01:13
The Nemo Burrito looks great for a single. I looked it up recently too after seeing it in Backpacker magazine. I wish I could get it!! But it's way too expensive for me. I'd be interested in hearing some more reviews on the Nemos once they are out for a while. Right now I'm leaning towards the MSR Hubba for myself.
:) Mindi

Singe03
02-23-2006, 01:27
For camp shoes and town shoes, I just had a cheap, lightweight pair of Tevas and they were just fine. It seemed everyone in 2003 went crazy for these shoes called Waldies (basically crocs) but I was perfectly happy with what I had.

Honestly, I just don't know about the whole inflatable tent thing, I've not seen one in person so I'm sort of dubious about them. How easily is it punctured and if it is are you stuck without shelter?

chicote
02-23-2006, 09:57
For camp shoes and town shoes, I just had a cheap, lightweight pair of Tevas and they were just fine. It seemed everyone in 2003 went crazy for these shoes called Waldies (basically crocs) but I was perfectly happy with what I had.

Honestly, I just don't know about the whole inflatable tent thing, I've not seen one in person so I'm sort of dubious about them. How easily is it punctured and if it is are you stuck without shelter?

From the content of their website I think that they have that issue covered. It seems that they use two tubes for what would normally use one pole. So if one gets punctured the integrity of the tent isn't completely lost. I'd imagine hard core users might even remove a tube to save weight :-?

K-Man
02-23-2006, 10:55
I am also a fan of Crocs for camp shoes. I have even been taking them on winter trips recently. When there is snow on the ground I wrap my gaiters around the front so no snow gets in the holes.

This whole blow up tent thing is interesting, but a bit on the heavy side. I would wait for a while to see how trail worthy they are. Let other people be the guinea pigs.

littlefoot
02-23-2006, 11:37
....I was reading backpacking mag while passing thru pensacola fla. a few weeks back and read a little about the infatable tent you are refering to...sounded interesting...I wonder if I could float it down the "gully" like a house boat.

I backpack..trainhop, hike etc everywhere I go anymore; on my recent excursion to NOLA I invested in a North Face Rock 22...a bit hefty at 5 pounds but the situation called for a tent if I wasn't in a squat...I plan to use it on my return to the AT...perhaps only using the rain fly...

I like the luxury of the tent...I know that airbag thing was designed for Nasa and what not but hey...isn't it uber expensive?

no matter where ya go
there ya are

carolinahiker
03-05-2006, 16:57
crocs huh we call them waterdogs for some reason good ole wally world purchase cheap and light.

Rain
05-10-2006, 10:59
You'll learn real quick that lighter is better. Luxury items do not last very long out on the trail. Though I have seen a man run screaming into the night after being woke up by an insect the size of a large iguana (no, I'm not joking), and he never went back to his tarp again. So you may want four walls, floor, roof, and such for a tent. Just try to keep it light.

Shelters aren't a bad alternative. The company is usually good. It can even be warmer, if you aren't unlucky with the wind. If you have poles, food, cord, and a few other oddities you can make a nice mouse circus of sorts -- they can be entertaining.

Be wary of the Crocs. They gave my friends and I quite a bit of pain. Try them first if you can.

BigToe
05-10-2006, 11:16
What is it specifically that you like so much about the crocs? Are they light weight?

My XL Crocs are 12.3 oz. I like them better than open toe sandals because of the extra protection around the toes - I've had my share of branches in between my toes! They also stay on better in water crossing.

LIhikers
05-10-2006, 17:08
...is what I bought as a light weight camp shoe. I wear them almost every day at home. I find them so comfortable that they have become my "shoe" of choice for at home and at work (shhhhh, don't tell my boss cause I'm supposed to be wearing steel toe shoes for work)

Blissful
05-10-2006, 19:59
Got my Campmor box today with some thru hike goodies (getting stuff little by little)
3 pair of Wrightsocks (ain't had no blisters with them babies)
a short Ridgerest to go under my Big Agnes pad for the early days when it's cold out (we are upping our start date to March 1st)
my luxury item - a Cocoon travel pillow in a packable sack
and for my dh - (his father's day gift) a 3 liter humungo platypus (he drinks like a fish)

Buckles
05-11-2006, 03:32
I second Blissful...

Tarptent by Henry Shires (www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)) Although I solo, I have a Squall2 with a sewn-in floor (my only luxury). Two weeks ago, at 4800 feet, in a 6 hour sustained "throw everything at ya" storm. I never got a droplet of water on me (don't forget to seam seal it). I doesn't look like much but it a winner. The Nemo inflatable tent is "cute", but weighs too much. My pack/sleeping bag/tent weight is under 6lbs. And, when the weather warms up, the sleeping bag is going home, and I'll carry some sort of lightweight fleece bag until it get cold again.

Have the Crocs. I was carrying my Keen Newport H2s, but it's all about shaving ounces, so the H2s are staying at home from now on.

Happy hunting.

HapKiDo
06-25-2006, 00:56
Check out the tarp/tent at http://www.trailquest.net (http://www.trailquest.net)
It has a side entrance instead of a front entrance and Brawny makes one with two doors so egress at night is not a problem. Brawny is an AT Thru Hiker who also section hiked the PCT. She has a cottage industry making backpacking items.

I saw the tent you're describing at Trail Days in Damascus. Too heavy, really.

Ask yourself: How do I put this thing up in a pouring rain? If you can't imagine doing that, it msy not be the right tent for you.

Personally, tarping is the way to go. You can get a supersized 10x12 that will be a palace for two and gear.

Before you buy, check out Lynne Whelden's CD/Video "Lightweight Backpacking Secrets Revealed" -- two Thru Hikers who were unfortunately run over while bicycling within the past few years -- Annie and the Salesman -- are on that CD-- they used a large tarp. They traded for a tent during bug season and hated the extra weight, so they went back to the tarp and used bug-dope to keep the bugs away.

Tarps are so easy to set up in the rain. You run a line from one tree to another. You toss the tarp over the line. You stake it out (with two people working together it's fast). You toss your ground cloth under the tent and you (gently) toss your pack under the tarp and follow it, flip yourself around so your feet are facing the 'front' and remove your wet boots/shoes. What Annie and the Salesman did was to stake out the back side of the tarp first, then pull the sides in a bit (they practiced when it wasn't raining) staked them down and then used the Salesman's hiking staff to raise the tarp so they could get under it.

Even in cold weather, tarps work well. And if it rains, they are much lighter to pack up than a wet tent is.

HapKiDo
(Who is using a small tarp and a Salathe' bivy):o

HapKiDo
06-25-2006, 00:58
Also, what do you all recommend using for camp shoes that are kinda light?

Brawny http://www.trailquest.net made her own "camp shoes" out of shoe inserts and string.

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

HapKiDo:o

WhoAh
06-25-2006, 21:36
I am using the MSR Fling - basically a tarp-tent. I will also be using Crocs - very lightweight and comfortable. I took flip-flops on one of my section hikes a couple of years ago - I banged my toes on more things and dang near slid out of them when getting water - won't take them again!

nano
08-15-2006, 15:22
Tarptent by Henry Shires is the sh**. Super easy set-up, waterproof (if seam sealed) and roomy. Just bring trekking poles. Make your own sandals out of some left over padding or something.

http://nanodiaries.blogspot.com

hopefulhiker
08-15-2006, 15:27
Last year a fellow hiker packed out an abandoned Eureka six pound tent out of the Smokeys. He shipped it out as soon as he got to town.. The first few hiker boxes are filled with discarded heavy things

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 08:30
Go with Crocs and check out the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. It is aound 3 lbs for a roomy 2 person tent and is a snap to set up. This is about 1.5 lbs apiece for shelter.

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 08:36
3 big things to look for in using a tent. WEIGHT, waterpoof (this sometimes takes some extra sealing -- did not have to with the BA) and to me one of the most important - BUG PROOF.

When you are in MA and VT in the summer just the sound of the sketters alone can keep you awake. I have not tried out todays tarp tents but make sure they are bug proof.

Blissful
08-16-2006, 12:55
Last year a fellow hiker packed out an abandoned Eureka six pound tent out of the Smokeys. He shipped it out as soon as he got to town.. The first few hiker boxes are filled with discarded heavy things

Yeah, maybe we'll find something like that along the way. My dh is leaving us at Fontana Dam and can take it back with him. A tent like that would be great for his Boy Scout troop.

DawnTreader
08-16-2006, 13:49
I saw many crocs on the trail.. all in great shape.. i saw many water socks on the trail.. literally, left on the trail, I hiked with a guy that hiked with water socks and hated them.. I saw a lot of payless crocs on the trail.. most with duck tape holding the straps on the back.. My crocs were stellar, and have become attatched to my feet, even at home..
As far as the 4lb shelter.. if it is being shared by 2 people, I don't see the problem.. get what you want, you will learn if it is right for you.. You don't NEED a 250$ piece of silnylon from henry shires.. although I may be like the rest of the people on this site, and really really want one..

starryliza
08-24-2006, 08:47
what are crocs? I have never heard of them... does anyone have a picture?

Skidsteer
08-24-2006, 08:51
Crocs...... (http://www.google.com/url?sa=L&ai=BI9C8p6DtRMLJHpSapAL7zui3BK7U_g_G5dnMAc7y45UEsO MtCAAQARgBKAM4AEibOVCa2aayBJgBtJYDyAEBlQIGCEkKyAKC uA0&q=http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/6006038/0~2376778~2372811~6002287~6006038%3Fcm_ven%3Dgoogl e%26cm_cat%3Dshoes%26cm_pla%3Dcrocs-exact%26cm_ite%3Dcrocs&sig=__YPj8KdYzU5PPdIFiQ83JVfYNHUw=)

stumpknocker
08-24-2006, 08:54
Hey Starryliza....here's two pictures. :)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/81815967/1081819254046529468tQqWya

http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

StarLyte
08-24-2006, 12:49
Hey Starryliza....here's two pictures. :)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/81815967/1081819254046529468tQqWya

http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

Stump you're funny.

Make sure you get GOOD crocs or REAL crocs - that's IF you're interested. I've gone thru 2 pair because I've purchase generics - they felt like hard styrofoam. I wore my friend's crocs and his felt great.

It's just a fad.

Blissful
08-25-2006, 13:56
Stump you're funny.

Make sure you get GOOD crocs or REAL crocs - that's IF you're interested. I've gone thru 2 pair because I've purchase generics - they felt like hard styrofoam. I wore my friend's crocs and his felt great.

It's just a fad.

I don't know, but I've had great luck with my Payless fake crocs. Even did a little hiking in them and wore them in river crossings. I wear them every day b/c of an ankle problem. Whereas my son got Holies at Trail Days and his busted in two months.

Hana_Hanger
08-25-2006, 19:00
Payless is now selling quote fake Crocs but they are actually made by Nike they have a pair that sorta look like a Keen water sandles only they are made like a Croc...priced out at $17 very soft and comfortable...not so sure how they will hold up in a long hike...but had I not already bought two pairs of the new Off Road Crocs I would of tried a pair of those new ones myself.
Worth looking into...now the Store Manager told me that Nike made those shoes...so it could be just hear say or a fact...either way I found them very soft and well made...looked like they came out of the same factory in China that the Crocs did to me :D

Biloxi
08-25-2006, 19:31
campmour has them for 29.99 right now..well some colors and sizes:sun

Tinker
08-25-2006, 21:55
By using a frameless pack. I usually use a Golite Dawn for long weekends spring and fall. I haven't used it in the summer, but figure I could do a week trip with it. It weighs 14 oz. My old Gregory Shasta weighs 5lb. 6oz. I use Esbit tabs to boil water to rehydrate food. My weekend cookpot is a Heineken can with the top removed and a lid made from another Heineken can bottom. I use a windscreen made from roof flashing which wraps around the can for travel and uses a single ti stake to support the "pot". I travel solo as my wife gave up on hiking about 8 years ago. For shelter, I use a Hennessey Hammock from spring to early fall. After the bugs are gone and the temps. drop I use a tarp and water resistant bivy with a foam pad to save weight. I use Permethrin on the bivy to keep ticks off. A Henry Shires tarptent is a good idea for extra bug protection, especially for two people. For a little more weather protection you can check out the Six Moon Designs Europa II tent for two people. A light cannister stove is probably better for two people than Esbit tabs or even an alcohol stove - certainly easier to use, but cannisters can fail to seal and empty themselves while you hike (unlikely, but not unheard of).

For ultralight ideas, check out backpackinglight.com.

bido7614
09-09-2006, 20:37
....I was reading backpacking mag while passing thru pensacola fla. a few weeks back and read a little about the infatable tent you are refering to...sounded interesting...I wonder if I could float it down the "gully" like a house boat.

I backpack..trainhop, hike etc everywhere I go anymore; on my recent excursion to NOLA I invested in a North Face Rock 22...a bit hefty at 5 pounds but the situation called for a tent if I wasn't in a squat...I plan to use it on my return to the AT...perhaps only using the rain fly...

I like the luxury of the tent...I know that airbag thing was designed for Nasa and what not but hey...isn't it uber expensive?

no matter where ya go
there ya are

it is so cool that you trainhop if you do... always been a fan of it.. lol
lissie

Blissful
09-11-2006, 19:43
Well, I sure hope after trying on multitudes of packs that I "may" have found my pack for the thru hike - believe it or not, a Lowe Alpine women's hyperlite backpack off Sierra Trading post. Will be testing it out this weekend, and if my lower back doesn't spaz out on my, I might have finally found it. The pack is very much like the Osprey, IMO, 4 lbs with 4300 cubic inches. Nice thing too is I got it shipped free and $79 buckaroos. I know it's plenty big for all my gear and I like the weight. It felt good in the shoulders. Sternum starp was in the proper place. My lower back hurt a little with a nerve probem I have, but I think it will work if I keep the weight down. Hoping and praying because I was getting very nervous about not having a backpack yet.

Slingshot
09-25-2006, 14:26
dude 4.8lbs is more than a little heavy. I'd go with a henry shire's tarp tent or a hennesy hammock for shelter, but that's just me.