PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap to Unicoi camping spots and water?

Double Ought
10-12-2018, 12:41
Planning a 3 day hike from Woody Gap to Unicoi State Park. Any suggestions on camping spots for both nights? And how does the water supply look right now?

Thank you in advance!

Gambit McCrae
10-12-2018, 15:43
From my memory there are several camping opportunities along the way, as well as tenting sites at all the shelters.

As fir water, the hurricane just dumped a ton of rain on the south east so I would assume water wouldn't be an issue.

Mockernut
10-12-2018, 16:40
I am assuming you mean Unicoi Gap and not Unicoi State Park as there is not a trail link from the AT to the Park...

if so, yes there are abundant campsites all along the way. There are some dry parts of this section even in wet years but they are only an issue of you don't tank up when you can.

FreeGoldRush
10-12-2018, 19:48
Three days ago there was no easy water between Neels Gap and Hogpen Gap. So not ideal for camping in that short section.

Dan Roper
10-12-2018, 20:39
There are good campsites (and water) at/near Lance Creek and Slaughter Creek, both of which are between Woody and Neels Gap. North of Neels at Hogpen Gap, there is some water (usually) by the road, a bit off the trail in a low spot. There is reliable water (and camping) at Low Gap. Further north, there are good camping spots, including Chattahoochee Gap, although that requires a stiff downhill trek to water. There is reliable water at Blue Mountain Shelter and camping around there.