PDA

View Full Version : Revival of an old topic for any newbie UL dirt baggers....free UL spoon

saltysack
10-13-2018, 14:55
After looking for other ways to shave some weight I remember someone posting about the spoon that comes with the Micky D’s Mcflurry...can’t recall the exact weight but about half my +$10 S2S long handle spoon and works just as well....very sturdy and has a fairly long handle....cold soak only as don’t think the plastic is good for boiling water....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181013/4f69feeb012d95435f4241c993209d8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllDownhillFromHere
10-13-2018, 15:53
So it's a crappy plastic spoon and you ALSO have to buy a "mcflurry" to get it? No thanks.

George
10-13-2018, 15:58
So it's a crappy plastic spoon and you ALSO have to buy a "mcflurry" to get it? No thanks.

but you do not have to eat the mcflurry - just take me along - your welcome

devoidapop
10-13-2018, 20:58
If you're only eating cold soak meals, can't you just eat with your fingers?

nsherry61
10-13-2018, 21:31
In my experience, plastic spoons tend to fail if you do much with them in hot water, like trying to stir noodles or the like - they all bend. For cold soaking, that wouldn't matter so much. My big issue with the McFlurry spoon is that its bowl is smaller than I like and the big square handle is clunky. By contrast, for the cost of only two McFlurries, my S2S long handled spoon has a bigger bowl that is a better shape for eating, has a much thinner handle for packing nicely and it can be used stir things simmering in boiling water without going flacid. And, it will probably outlast at least two McFlurry spoons, so in the end, the S2S spoon is also less expensive.

Highland Goat
10-14-2018, 09:07
You can also just ask for a free spoon. Most McDonald’s will give you one with a purchase, even if you don’t buy a McFlurry. Along those lines you can ask Dunkin’ Doughnuts for a free empty Box O’ Joe and once the cardboard is gone you have a hydration bladder. Both of these restaurants are franchises, so there is sometimes a local owner on the premise who is more than willing to be helpful.

Two Tents
10-14-2018, 10:23
If you're only eating cold soak meals, can't you just eat with your fingers?
This logic works for toilet paper as well as a spoon. Even if it was a hot meal or cold soak. Fingers to get it down your neck and fingers to clean the other end. That's hard core to use your fingers. Wow! No spoon, no toilet paper, man I just did away with nearly 3 ounces! Gram weenie Nirvana!

Two Tents
10-14-2018, 10:26
If you're only eating cold soak meals, can't you just eat with your fingers?<br>
This logic works for toilet paper as well as a spoon. Even if it was a hot meal or cold soak. Fingers to get it down your neck and fingers to clean the other end. Different fingers if course. That's hard core to use your fingers. Wow! No spoon, no toilet paper, man I just did away with nearly 3 ounces! Gram weenie Nirvana!

Odd Man Out
10-14-2018, 10:55
Any self-respecting dirt-bagger knows you don't pay for the McFlurry or ask for a free spoon, but you dig through the garbage to find a used one. And before you respond "ew!" Just Remer that every time you eat at a restaurant you are using a spoon previously used by someone else.

Odd Man Out
10-14-2018, 11:00
I'm partial to my melamine plastic spoon by Hutzler, available on line or in kitchen stores. Light weight, bomb-proof, pretty colors, long handle. I especially like the intermediate size - big enough to be good for stirring and cooking, but also small enough to work for eating. Also, the end of the bowl is flat so it is better at scraping the bottom of the pot than most spoons.