PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highland info needed

hustler
02-20-2006, 00:29
My sister is planning a spring break backpacking trip somewhere on the AT in late March. She did the smokies last year, which I didn't suggest, and did fine. I recall there being a loop through the Grayson Highlands that I was going to suggest. I was wondering about the mileage and difficulty of this loop? Is it possible to pull off in a week for a novice backpacker? I would assume that Mt Rogers or Sundog would sell some sort of map of this loop.

SnakebiteSurvivor
02-20-2006, 05:31
There's plenty of good hiking in the Grayson Highlands area. You can park at the Backpacker's parking lot at Massie Gap and wander around for a few days. As for a long-distance week-long "loop": you may be thinking of the roughly 50-mile loop starting at Damascus and taking the yellow-blazed Iron-Mountain trail north (the route of the AT until 1972) to Chestnut Flats and returning on the AT via Grayson Highlands. This is described in the ATC's Southwest Virginia guidebook (with map).

SnakebiteSurvivor
02-20-2006, 06:17
The best map of the Grayson Highlands area is called "Mount Rogers High Country and Wildernesses". I don't know of a place to buy this online, but you might phone the Mount Rogers National Recreational Area at (800) 628-7202 (they have a bookstore at their HQ south of Marion VA, which is where I bought mine), and they might sell you one by mail order.

hustler
02-20-2006, 17:48
Thanks Snakebitesurvivor, I will check it out the guide book. I hope she will have a good trip come next month.

jlb2012
02-20-2006, 18:43
recommend hiking up on Wilburn Ridge to her - it has the best views IMO - the Wilburn Ridge trail parallels the AT and is somewhat more difficult to backpack especially going SOBO - if she does not want to do the whole Wilburn Ridge trail recommend doing an up and back from the south end of the trail

restless
02-20-2006, 18:46
Natioanl Geographic puts out a map for Mt. Rogers and you should be able to find this at Sundog Outfitters or Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus. It has replace the Highcountry map mentioned in a previous comment. So far as hiking goes, Go in at Elk Garden or Massie Gap in the Grayson Highlands State Park. Don't miss the Pine Mountain Trail - Blue blazed trail that runs between Rhododendren Gap and Pine Mountain.

Hikerhead
02-20-2006, 18:57
Here's a link where you can buy the Mt Rogers map on line.

http://www.ngmapstore.com/jump.jsp?itemID=136&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=134&iSubCat=136&page=3

homer_at
04-06-2008, 22:25
I am planning a hike in Grayson Highlands, going west over Whitetop toward Damascus. I plan to camp up on top of Whitetop somewhere. I understand there is water just west of Elk Garden, and my old map shows water at the bottom of the switchbacks on the gravel road going up there, but can anyone time me if there is water up on top of Whitetop , or perhaps over toward Buzzard rock?

thanks for your help.

Lone Wolf
04-06-2008, 23:03
I am planning a hike in Grayson Highlands, going west over Whitetop toward Damascus. I plan to camp up on top of Whitetop somewhere. I understand there is water just west of Elk Garden, and my old map shows water at the bottom of the switchbacks on the gravel road going up there, but can anyone time me if there is water up on top of Whitetop , or perhaps over toward Buzzard rock?

thanks for your help.

just after you cross whitetop mtn. road, about 300 yards, there's a big piped spring. it flows year-round

homer_at
04-07-2008, 19:19
Lone Wolf - thanks for the quick reply about the water - you saved me a lot of effort.
homer_at

Nancy Major
12-30-2015, 12:15
I am planning to do an AT section hike from Damascus to Fox Creek this May. I heard that camping is not allowed within the Grayson Highlands S.P. Can someone confirm if this is true? It shouldn't be a problem because the AT isn't very long through the park and there appears to be plenty of places to camp before or after the park. Also, I understand that the weather is always unpredictable but I heard May can be pretty rainy. My trip has to be completed before Memorial weekend because of work restrictions. I could pick any week in April or May for my hike but figured May would be warmer. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Gambit McCrae
12-30-2015, 13:31
There is nice camping on the northern side of Elk Garden, my suggested start point. And there is a shelter on the AT within the park, and camping around it. I hiked thru the park in that section

Tipi Walter
12-30-2015, 13:54
You could easily pull a week in the Mt Rogers area by parking at the Overnight lot in Grayson Highlands and pull intricate loops all over the place.

Or park at the NRA headquarters about 30 miles away and hike south on the AT into the Crest Zone and cavort with loops and then head back out north on the AT to your car. Or arrange a shuttle from your car at the NRA down to Va rd 603 and/or Massie Gap and stay in the crest zone and hike back to your car.

I myself like to camp on Wilburn Ridge and do the Pine Mt loop and go into the Lewis Fork wilderness and the Wilson Creek wilderness area.

Here are some trip pics for your interest---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Grayson-Highlands/

Kaptainkriz
12-30-2015, 14:05
It can get a little moist :eek::
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOuzv8FXsMVYfQMOuG360Cym-DEMPm_APTEdZwg

Tipi Walter
12-30-2015, 14:19
And a little muddy---Translation: Dang &&^$^ HORSES!!!!

Nancy Major
12-30-2015, 15:12
Thank you to all who responded. Many of you have trip pictures that are amazing!
Can't wait to go!

Sheriff Cougar
01-01-2016, 00:09
I bought this one at Mt. Rogers outfitter in Damascus. It is very thorough and detailed.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/travel-and-hiking-maps/trails-illustrated-hiking-and-recreation-maps/virginia/786-mount-rogers-nra-trail-map

RavensFan
01-01-2016, 11:28
When looking at the map - try to keep off the horse trails... they can get pretty torn up and muddy. My favorite spot for backpacking, especially with people that are new.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2016, 11:37
When looking at the map - try to keep off the horse trails... they can get pretty torn up and muddy. My favorite spot for backpacking, especially with people that are new.

Good luck with that. Most trails in the Mt Rogers area are horse trails except for the AT and the Cliffside and a few others. No loops can be done without using horse trails.

MuddyWaters
01-01-2016, 11:40
Good luck with that. Most trails in the Mt Rogers area are horse trails except for the AT and the Cliffside and a few others. No loops can be done without using horse trails.

Ive seen horses on the AT in Mt Rogers. Little ones.:)

RavensFan
01-01-2016, 12:51
True - impossible to avoid all of them - however - there are spots where you can choose the horse trail or stay on the AT in areas. Unfortunately we made the wrong choice in areas around Scales and a few other spots on our last trip.

SWODaddy
01-01-2016, 14:20
I am planning to do an AT section hike from Damascus to Fox Creek this May. I heard that camping is not allowed within the Grayson Highlands S.P. Can someone confirm if this is true? It shouldn't be a problem because the AT isn't very long through the park and there appears to be plenty of places to camp before or after the park. Also, I understand that the weather is always unpredictable but I heard May can be pretty rainy. My trip has to be completed before Memorial weekend because of work restrictions. I could pick any week in April or May for my hike but figured May would be warmer. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Never heard of that. My wife and I did a 3 day 2 night trip through Grayson Highlands the week before Thanksgiving. We checked in at the Ranger station (they sell NG maps there btw) and reviewed our itinerary with him - he even recommended some good spots to camp.

SWODaddy
01-01-2016, 14:21
I would also echo others who mentioned the horse trails and how muddy they get.

SWODaddy
01-01-2016, 14:26
I will mention that there was a sign stating no tenting in the vicinity of the wise shelter and also the ridge (in just a couple specific places) just south of the Wise shelter where the trail meets the spur back to the backpacker lot. I assume it's a temporary measure to let the area recover from overuse.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2016, 14:36
There's actually no camping allowed within Grayson Highlands state park but just thru the fence on the AT going south tent camping is allowed---I know because I've camped on Wilburn Ridge many times---

There are three main Peaks on Wilburn Ridge which allow camping and this is the first one when going south towards Rhodo Gap and Thomas Knob shelter. I call it Ma Peak, the second bigger one Pa Peak and the last one Grandmother Peak.

Here is Grandmother Peak looking south on the AT and Grandmother Gap, an excellent place to camp if you can handle the wind and have a stout tent.

SWODaddy
01-01-2016, 18:55
There's actually no camping allowed within Grayson Highlands state park but just thru the fence on the AT going south tent camping is allowed---I know because I've camped on Wilburn Ridge many times---

There are three main Peaks on Wilburn Ridge which allow camping and this is the first one when going south towards Rhodo Gap and Thomas Knob shelter. I call it Ma Peak, the second bigger one Pa Peak and the last one Grandmother Peak.

Here is Grandmother Peak looking south on the AT and Grandmother Gap, an excellent place to camp if you can handle the wind and have a stout tent.

I just looked at my map and you're correct - I forgot what a small area the Grayson Highlands State Park. By my map, only roughly a mile of the AT traverses the State Park. Wilburn ridge is a great place to camp and see the ponies.

STICK
09-14-2016, 19:36
Figured I would resurrect this thread as opposed to starting a new one...

I am planning to do a short, relaxed hike next week through this area. I am planning to start at Fox Creek and finish at US58. A friend and I will stage cars.

So, is parking at US58 & Fox Creek relatively safe area's?

How is water through this section right now? I know a little farther south was quite dry last week, although, it looks like some rain may come to this area by next week... should make it muddy huh...lol...?

Also, if I am not mistaken, did I read in another thread sometime that there is a place to hike right off trail and buy burgers on this section? If so, where... yum!?

I literally, just ordered the Nat Geo TI map for Mt Rogers... so, when it gets here, I will give it a look over. After reading through this thread it sounds like some short loops are good options in this area too, which would also be nice... I am not 100% married to hiking US58 to Fox Creek, however, I enjoy hiking along the AT, it sounds like it may be free of horse dung (good thing if it does rain), and I am looking forward to hiking up to Mt Roger's via the spur trail, through Fat Man squeeze, and near Stone mtn... So it doesn't sound bad. What would be nice about a loop hike though is being able to park both our cars in this area as opposed to staging in possibly less than safe area's...

So, what kind of loops would everyone suggest for me to consider. For a little more info, our first day will only be a half day, then 2 full days of hiking and the last day needs to be pretty much at the car. I don't mind big mileage, but this hike is not about that... as I mentioned, right now I am only planning about 24 miles total over this time span, and I am A-OK with that... this is more of a sleep in, hike short miles, spend time at camp and repeat...

As usual...thanks for any info!

Dogwood
09-14-2016, 20:13
thx for resurrecting this thread. Thx for all the beta and especially TW for the trip reports.

STICK
09-15-2016, 07:21
thx for resurrecting this thread. Thx for all the beta and especially TW for the trip reports.

Agree... I have been looking through his pics... makes me even more excited for our trip! It looks like camp spots and water shouldn't be a big problem! :)

Tuckahoe
09-15-2016, 11:39
Other than places to eat in Damascus itself, the on trail cafe would be the Creeper Trail Cafe in Taylors Valley, which is right on the Virginia Creeper Trail.

You'd pick up the Creeper Trail when the AT insects it at the Luther Hassinger Bridge. You can also get to Taylors Valley from a spur trail coming off the AT near to where the AT and Creeper Trail intersect again after Saunders Shelter.

Seatbelt
09-15-2016, 11:44
As far as parking is concerned, I think Fox Creek is a good place. Not sure which US 58 crossing you are referring to: Feathercamp area or just below Whitetop Mtn?

Tuckahoe
09-15-2016, 12:41
Rt 58 below Whitetop Mt is listed on the maps and guide book as Summit Cut and at that point it is more a mere pull off. I would never leave a car parked there.

carouselambra
09-15-2016, 12:57
In April of this year I left my vehicle parked at Fox Creek for two nights with no issues.

SWODaddy
09-15-2016, 15:54
Also, if I am not mistaken, did I read in another thread sometime that there is a place to hike right off trail and buy burgers on this section? If so, where... yum!?

Not between the two points you mentioned, but you follow the creeper into Damascus I would recommend the Creeper Cafe....just be aware their hours are bad (11-5) and the food isn't cheap (after hiking 50 miles through thunderstorms we didn't care).

JumpMaster Blaster
09-15-2016, 21:36
The best map of the Grayson Highlands area is called "Mount Rogers High Country and Wildernesses". I don't know of a place to buy this online, but you might phone the Mount Rogers National Recreational Area at (800) 628-7202 (they have a bookstore at their HQ south of Marion VA, which is where I bought mine), and they might sell you one by mail order.

Amazon.com has the map for sale.

You can meander around GHSP for a few days easily (I did). A lot of intersecting trails (both hiking and shared-use). You can use the AT as a "main artery" out-and-back to Whitetop and Buzzard Rock, then head back to the park and use the other trails as loops (Pine Mtn Trail is nice).

OR, you could start at GHSP, go towards Damascus via the AT/Creeper Trail, and boomerang back. Or vice-versa. Lots of options.

STICK
09-16-2016, 10:20
Thanks everyone for the info. As for US58, I am referring to one about a mile north of Lost Mtn Shelter. On the map I have it notes that there is water and parking here, and then 0.3 miles farther north is a stream with a campsite.

And that's a bummer to hear that the food is on another trail... we will look into that though! :)

SWODaddy
09-16-2016, 10:39
Thanks everyone for the info. As for US58, I am referring to one about a mile north of Lost Mtn Shelter. On the map I have it notes that there is water and parking here, and then 0.3 miles farther north is a stream with a campsite.

And that's a bummer to hear that the food is on another trail... we will look into that though! :)

There is a gravel pull-off. I do remember seeing several good water sources and at least one good campsite in the quarter mile north from there as well.

STICK
09-16-2016, 11:04
There is a gravel pull-off. I do remember seeing several good water sources and at least one good campsite in the quarter mile north from there as well.

So by "pull-off" are you saying that there is no real parking here then, and wouldn't suggest doing so?

SWODaddy
09-16-2016, 11:12
So by "pull-off" are you saying that there is no real parking here then, and wouldn't suggest doing so?

It's a wide pull-off, you will be able to get your car completely off the road. Guthook says room for 2 cars, which sounds about right. I can't speak for the safety of parking there, though.

STICK
09-16-2016, 11:34
It's a wide pull-off, you will be able to get your car completely off the road. Guthook says room for 2 cars, which sounds about right. I can't speak for the safety of parking there, though.

Thanks for the info! I understand about safety...

Seatbelt
09-16-2016, 13:04

Here is a picture of the "pulloff" taken from the road looking nobo