PDA

View Full Version : Bounce Box

FiveWay
02-20-2006, 01:18
Need some help. I am planning on using a bounce box for items that I don't want or need while on the trial. How far ahead do I send a box? :-? And what is the time frame for getting the box there, thru UPS or PO? I need to make sure it is there when I arrive and I don't want to send it to far ahead. Thanks, FiveWay (18 days and counting!)

Nokia
02-20-2006, 02:00
It's up to you. I usually send mine 2 towns ahead. Half the time when I get there I just forward it because I don't need it. Make sure you send priority. If you don't need anything out of it you can walk in, tell them to forward it to your next town and it's free. Just don't open it or take it out of the lobby or you pay again.

Tin Man
02-20-2006, 08:21
I would guess it depends on what you put in it and how long you could do without it.

Mouse
02-20-2006, 08:27
I usually sent mine 2-3 weeks up the Trail.

JojoSmiley
02-20-2006, 08:45
I also keep a running list of what is in the bounce box so I know if I really need it or can send it to the next stop. USPS is usually pretty good and they keep it 3-4 weeks, longer if you ensure to put hold for AT hiker on it.

Nean
02-20-2006, 09:25
I send mine 2-3 towns up, 10-14 days ahead, where I know I want to take a zero. I use an orange box because it will slide up on itself to make a bigger box if needed. One last a whole trip. Throw some blank stickers in the box to cover the old town/zip and add the new. I got some more to suggest on the bounce box subject but I've got to go now. Maybe later:)

simplehiker
02-20-2006, 22:36
I send mine 2-3 towns up, 10-14 days ahead, where I know I want to take a zero. I use an orange box because it will slide up on itself to make a bigger box if needed. One last a whole trip. Throw some blank stickers in the box to cover the old town/zip and add the new. I got some more to suggest on the bounce box subject but I've got to go now. Maybe later:)

What is this magical orange box you speak of?

sh

FiveWay
02-20-2006, 22:50
Thanks for all the info. I liked the all the ideas. I bet I can use all of them. I second the question from simplehiker...Neon,what is a orange box? FiveWay

Skidsteer
02-20-2006, 22:52
What is this magical orange box you speak of?

sh

Not an orange colored box. A box that held oranges. Top slides down over bottom, thus adjustable size.:)

Skyline
02-20-2006, 22:58
You can't use United Parcel Service (or any other private company) to send a package to a post office--or to bounce a package from PO to PO. You must use the United States Postal Service.

Nean
02-20-2006, 23:54
Correctamundo Skidsteer! Things I put in my box that most don't:
A set of town clothes
Shampoo, soap, etc.
Coffee grinder and whole beans
Laudry soap
Extra batteries; for camera, etc.
Tent when the forecast looks good
And after the hike I store stuff from that year I'd like to keep, special from that year in the box, in the closet
Last I checked I had a few;)