PDA

View Full Version : New kindle paperwhite

perrymk
10-21-2018, 18:55
I値l start with a disclaimer. I have no financial or other association with Amazon other than as a customer.

There is a new Kindle Paperwhite being released in a couple weeks or so. The big news is that it is waterproof and priced at $129. There is also a trade in option to trade almost any old kindle for 25% off any new kindle. Amazon pays shipping for the trade. Anyway, I知 pretty excited.

T.S.Kobzol
10-21-2018, 18:56
I upgraded last year to a kindle that was waterproof. I wonder what's new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
10-21-2018, 19:39

There's always something new :) Maybe it's time to trade in my original Kindle with the keyboard?

soumodeler
10-21-2018, 19:46
You probably have a different model, the Oasis. The Paperwhite is just now getting a waterproof upgrade.

T.S.Kobzol
10-21-2018, 20:33
Here is mine

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181022/cd353914e67c81f88dbdbefcad8fcccd.jpg

perrymk
10-22-2018, 05:58
There's always something new :) Maybe it's time to trade in my original Kindle with the keyboard?

I had an old model with keyboard (smile). I'll be upgrading as soon as my discount comes in. I am set to receive $5 for purchase on Amazon and 25% off a new Kindle. Even with buying a new case my total price should be around $125.

As far as I can tell the big differences:
Last years waterproof model had a 7 inch screen (some liked it, some didn't), this year is the regular 6 inch screen.
Last years waterproof model cost around $250, this year is $129.
The only con I've read about for the new model is lack of an external page turn button. Although the screen tap is said to work pretty well.

I typically wait for new electronic things (phones, Kindles, etc.) to come out and then buy the old model for half price on eBay. However, the reasonable (?) $129 plus a discount for my old Kindle bring the price under $100. This tipped the scales for me. That said, I was otherwise happy with my old Kindle. I just really wanted to not pull out the light (I had a case with built in light) for adequate reading or be by a lamp. The Paperwhite model should be nicely lit even if I change positions away from the lamp (I rarely sit still). The waterproof is so I don't have to worry about spills.

soumodeler
10-22-2018, 08:18
I had an older model Paperwhite and loved it for reading on backpacking trips. I only got rid of it after I upgraded to a larger screen phone that was close enough to not need both devices. Not needing a light was the main reason I got it. The page tap worked great, although I cannot remember if it worked with gloves.

T.S.Kobzol's photo is of the Oasis, the larger model.

T.S.Kobzol
10-22-2018, 14:59
Aah thanks. I traded in 2 older kindles [emoji106]