PDA

View Full Version : Options to get from Bangor, ME, to Mt. Katahdin?

Bianchi Veloce
10-22-2018, 02:31
What are the options to get from the Bangor airport to Mt. Katahdin, ME.?

All apologies if this has been covered before.

Thinking of doing a south bound in late June 2019.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MuddyWaters
10-22-2018, 02:43
Bus followed by shuttle.

peakbagger
10-22-2018, 06:10
The AT Lodge in Millinocket will pick you up at the Bangor airport or bus station and supply a nights lodging then a shuttle in the AM into the park (for a fee). They also will pick folks up at the bus stop in Medway ( the interstate exit where the bus stops for those going to Millinocket).

moldy
10-22-2018, 08:22
bus to Medway then hitch to Millinocket

Slo-go'en
10-22-2018, 09:13
The AT Lodge in Millinocket will pick you up at the Bangor airport or bus station and supply a nights lodging then a shuttle in the AM into the park (for a fee). They also will pick folks up at the bus stop in Medway ( the interstate exit where the bus stops for those going to Millinocket).

^^^ is the most practical way. I suppose you could try hitchhiking as Moldy suggested, but that's always iffy.

You'll also probably want to make reservations for a night in the park or it's a very long walk to the summit and back out of the park in one day.

And yes, this question has been asked and answered about a million times.

peakbagger
10-22-2018, 10:03
Everything you ever needed to know about a BSP southbound

https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/2017/12/20/the-2018-sobos-guide-to-baxter-and-katahdin/

My two cents on hitchhiking from Bangor. Bangor is a busy small city with lots of local traffic on the interstate. Its very likely it will be multistage hitch. From the airport you need to get to the interstate. Odds are you get the next hitch to the Bangor Mall exit. From there there is a lot of traffic north to Orono/Old Town so that is one more hitch. The bad/good news is the Interstate north of Old Town is pretty sparse traffic. You really need to hitch during the daytime and make sure you hitch to the Medway exit as there are a couple of intermediate exits that have very little traffic you could get stalled on for hours. The good news is during hiking season many of the cars are heading to Baxter State Park via the Medway exit so you may get lucky. If you dont if could be long day and longer night if you dont make it to Medway. Just realize that most southbounders start very early in the season at Baxter so there are less folks going up there. As discussed Medway to the park is a long hitch and its highly likely you will be staying in Millinocket at the AT Lodge so skip the hassle and arrange a pick up through them.

Bianchi Veloce
10-22-2018, 14:23
Thanks for the help.