PDA

View Full Version : Stover Creek Shelter (GA)

Former Admin
09-10-2002, 05:05
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Stover Creek Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

MtnBadger
09-14-2002, 08:13
I really wanted to hear about the haints at Stover Creek! Hacksaw, did you ever post the "mini" version of the story on the old forum? If you did, I missed it! I'm dying here, I've just gotta know! :eek:

Hammock Hanger
09-14-2002, 08:20
Ditto :eek: HH

chris
09-15-2002, 19:45
There was a problem bear at Stover this spring. Got several hikers food from a tree a few days before I arrived. The hanging wasn't done too
wisely, as it was off of a very thin, young tree. The bear appeared to have broken it in two and gotten the food that way.

Peaks
09-16-2002, 07:32
Well, I stayed there and hung my food without incident. I saw the bear claw marks in the tree from a few days earlier. I suspect that those hikers didn't hang their food high enough, or far enough out from the trunk.

Incidentally, up in the Adirondacks (Lake Colden), there are some bear cables that the bears have been able to get the food off. The theory is that the cables were attached to spruce trees that flexed when the bears hung on them, and that way, the bags got close enough to the ground where another could bear could stand up and swipe at the food bags. The trees have recently been tied back so they don't flex anymore, and that has solved the problem, at least for now.

So, if you are going to bear bag, then put it up in a sturdy tree, not one that is going to bend.

Chris, you must have stayed at Stover Creek about the same time I did last spring.

chris
09-16-2002, 08:16
I was at Stover on, I believe, the night of April 30th. The bear had gotten the food just a few days earlier. Around the same time a bear was able to get food from the bear lines at the Springer shelter as well. Presumably the same bear.

Hikehead
09-16-2002, 14:06
Bluebearee had all of food stolen by a Yogi at Springer on 4-18-02. You can read about it in her journal.

http://www.trailjournals.com/

Youngblood
06-22-2003, 10:58
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1055&papass=&sort=1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=347&papass=&sort=1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1291&papass=&sort=1

deeddawg
10-20-2003, 14:37
Spent the night at Stover Creek shelter 10/17/03. Table is pretty beat up but functional. Hammocked about 30 yds past the shelter, didn't have any rodent problems.

There are four bear cables installed down behind the shelter -- two were hung up on themselves. Where usually s-hooks are used for hanging, here they'd used snap-hooks and they'd snap-hooked onto the other side of the cable. We were able to free one of the two cables but couldn't get the other free.

Speer Carrier
02-08-2006, 20:43
For all you fans of Stover Creek Shelter, you might be interested to know that the GATC will have a new shelter constructed, and that the old shelter will be dimantled.

The new shelter will be within a mile of the old shelter, and will be part of a fairly major trail relocation project that will be completed in about a year. It will continue to function as an alternative to or overflow to the Springer shelter.

The new shelter will be post and beam contruction, will be pre-cut in North Carolina, and assembled in the new location. It will feature a state of the art moldering privy and a water source about 100 yards away.

drsukie
02-08-2006, 20:52
For all you fans of Stover Creek Shelter, you might be interested to know that the GATC will have a new shelter constructed, and that the old shelter will be dimantled.

The new shelter will be within a mile of the old shelter, and will be part of a fairly major trail relocation project that will be completed in about a year. It will continue to function as an alternative to or overflow to the Springer shelter.

The new shelter will be post and beam contruction, will be pre-cut in North Carolina, and assembled in the new location. It will feature a state of the art moldering privy and a water source about 100 yards away.

Will Stover get the special handicapped ramp access treatment a la Springer? :) Sue

gr8fulyankee
02-08-2006, 21:23
I enjoy staying at stover. Every time I stay, there has never been anybody else there. It's quiet, and a stream real close. The picinic table really has seen better days, never heard a peep from a mouse or a snort from a bear. I did have a deer hang out for about 5 minutes one full moon night.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2006, 08:05
Just what the trail needs. Another big, gawdy shelter. Friggin ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
02-09-2006, 09:34
...where the mice or raccoons or something got into a food bag on the steel cables. Occurred the night of Feb. 29, 2004 on Northern Harrier's first night of his thruhike. There were 5 of us at the shelter plus 2 others in tents. We all used the bear cables but only Harrier's bag was violated. Made him wonder what else would happen the rest of his hike. But he finished.

gr8fulyankee
02-09-2006, 09:52
Just what the trail needs. Another big, gawdy shelter. Friggin ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Agreed! Could be worse, could be managed by the AMC.

max patch
02-09-2006, 10:27
The Stover Creek shelter has actually been in 2 other locations prior to its current spot. I'll always remember a time back in the early 80s when it was just a few steps from the FS road. I was sleeping at the shelter with 5 friends -- 4 of whom were on their first backpacking trip -- when we heard a car stop around midnight and a couple of guys who had obviously been drinking got out, walked to the shelter, and asked if anyone knew "how to get to Doraville (a suburb of Atlanta) from here." Really weird.

Don't know if one of the guys was Youngblood.

Klezmorim
02-09-2006, 14:54
I'm glad they're replacing the old shelter at Stover. When Fanny and I hiked from Springer to Woody in late November we stopped there for a break. It was really showing its age. I'm glad we'd stayed at Springer shelter the night before. We loved the loft construction and had the whole place to ourselves.

Knees
02-10-2006, 00:49
I stayed there on 13-April-2005 and I don't remember it being that bad. The main problem is that it is too close to the start of the trail. As I recall, it was at least 1/3 full with discarded "crap" that some idiot hiked in with and left. Tons of large batteries, and other non-hiking crud.

There were a whole five of us, two in the shelter and a group of three tenting out, so it sure didn't seem high use that day...

How about some nice tent sites instead of another rat infested mega-shelter?

Almost There
02-10-2006, 01:13
I remember last year when I went through there and there was an economy sized plastic tub of mayonaisse in the shelter.

max patch
02-10-2006, 08:40
I remember last year when I went through there and there was an economy sized plastic tub of mayonaisse in the shelter.

Last fall I found and carried out the same thing at Hawk Mtn. Shelter (about 6 miles ups the trail for those not familiar with GA). Strange.

Dances with Mice
02-10-2006, 09:14
Be careful at both of those shelters, there are mayonaisse thieves in the area. I've lost two big tubs in the last year.

Almost There
02-10-2006, 10:30
Actually I think the mayonaisse was trying to make it to Katahdin one shelter at a time.

MoodyBluer
02-11-2006, 17:06
Stover Creek shelter used to be located at Big Stamp Gap right beside FS 42 when last I stayed in that shelter in 1972...it was old then! I think that the BMT now runs down to Big Stamp Gap from Springer but obviously no shelter there any more...I remember my dad and me trying to sleep with the activity on FS42 during the night from logging trucks and the mice running across my dad's face all nite long...He fought in Korea and had never seen a rodent problem like that nite!

Almost There
02-12-2006, 02:50
Told some thru's to stay at Springer tonight, they were about to head for Stover at 4:30pm, said Springer would be a much cozier stay, when they took another look at the shelter...they were happy for taking the advice.

Midway Sam
09-26-2006, 09:28
I stopped at Stover for lunch on 9/22/06. On the way north we passed a guy carrying a long section of aluminum ridge vent. He said it was for the privy at the new Stover Creek shelter. He said the shelter was complete and he was out to add the finishing touches on the privy. He said they hope to have the trail to it (the relocation I assume) complete in time for the '07 thru hikers.

Chicken Feathers
10-14-2006, 20:03
I stayed there on 13-April-2005 and I don't remember it being that bad. The main problem is that it is too close to the start of the trail. As I recall, it was at least 1/3 full with discarded "crap" that some idiot hiked in with and left. Tons of large batteries, and other non-hiking crud.

There were a whole five of us, two in the shelter and a group of three tenting out, so it sure didn't seem high use that day...

How about some nice tent sites instead of another rat infested mega-shelter?
Stover Creek was put in for overflow at Springer Mtn Shelter :-?

bigmontana
10-30-2006, 12:10
Any photos or info on the new shelter there?

briarpatch
10-30-2006, 13:39
The trail is being relocated away from the existing shelter. The trail hasn't been moved yet, so the new shelter isn't on the trail right now. Kind of odd to build the shelter first, but thats the way it worked out.

John Klein
02-13-2007, 18:00
The trail is being relocated away from the existing shelter. The trail hasn't been moved yet, so the new shelter isn't on the trail right now. Kind of odd to build the shelter first, but thats the way it worked out.
The Georgia ATC web site says they have a group hike coming up when they will see the new shelter. I know I could ask them when the new shelter (and trail relocation) is scheduled to be done but I figured I'd try asking here first. Anyone know?

Woodenarrows
10-01-2009, 00:57
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/Durango-Jim/?action=view&current=StoverCreekShelter.jpgJust spent the night at Stover Creek on 9/20/09. All was quiet. Here is a photo. Nice shelter I thought.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/Durango-Jim/StoverCreekShelter.jpg

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/Durango-Jim/?action=view&current=StoverCreekShelter.jpg%22%20target=%22_bla nk%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/Durango-Jim/StoverCreekShelter.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=% 22AT%20Trail%20Appalachian%20Trail%20Stover%20Cree k%20Shelter%22%3E%3C/a%3E
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/Durango-Jim/?action=view&current=StoverCreekShelter.jp

Woodenarrows
10-01-2009, 01:00
Oops, sorry, that was 9/22/09. It's after midnight and I was looking at the October calendar.