PDA

View Full Version : Keeping pack, boots, etc dry whem hammock camping

seakayaker
10-23-2018, 05:26
How do you keep your pack, boots, etc dry when hammock camping?

Are there better means of doing this than sitting them on the ground beneath the hammock and hoping for the best?

Seakayaker

russb
10-23-2018, 05:37
I almost always have mine directly under my hammock. The tarp provides a lot of coverage so things stay dry underneath. I know some people have a small piece of a ground cloth they set gear on. But unless you are hanging over a stream, under the tarp is fine.

devoidapop
10-23-2018, 05:56
I keep everything under my hammock as well and cover with my rain jacket or poncho if I'm expecting heavy rain

DownYonder
10-23-2018, 07:26
On top of a 3x3 plastic sheet under the tarp. If it is raining, I put the pack cover on also.

grubbster
10-23-2018, 07:45
Some people will keep their gear in their pack and hang it off the hammock suspension. Same for boots.

tiptoe
10-23-2018, 08:57
Everything is on the ground under the hammock, starting with hiking poles (parallel to each other), boots (on their sides), and last, the pack, with a rain cover. This setup has worked well for me.

johnnybgood
10-23-2018, 10:01
Using a caribiner hang your backpack from your suspension with rain cover over top of it.
Boots on the ground turned inward on their sides to keep insects and critters from crawling inside.
Trekking poles are within reach just in case they're needed as objects of defense or retaliation .

johnnybgood
10-23-2018, 10:02
Using a caribiner hang your backpack from your suspension with rain cover over top of it.
Boots on the ground turned inward on their sides to keep insects and critters from crawling inside.
Trekking poles are within reach just in case they're needed as objects of defense or retaliation .

Strategic
10-23-2018, 12:47
Like a lot of people, I hang my pack from the foot-end suspension strap with a carabiner and the pack cover over it (in reverse, since the straps are facing out) to protect it from rain and damp. I hang my boots on another carabiner at the bottom end of the ridgeline and hanging outside the hammock where I can get to them easily when I need to get up (all too often, since I'm an old coot.) With my large fly hung separately, this keeps everything nicely dry and I can get to it all easily without getting out of the hammock.

Turk6177
10-23-2018, 16:29
Like others, I use a piece of polycro that I got from Gossamer Gear. I just use rocks or whatever to hold the corners down and rely on my tarp to keep it all out of the rain. Anything important, like my electronics and sleep system, to include sleeping clothes are in my hammock with me anyway. I also cover my pack with the rain cover just in case there is a blowing sideways rain.

Southeast
10-23-2018, 17:08
I’ve done a couple things, nothing real fancy.
Tie the shoes together and thrown them over my hammock ridgeline under the tarp. Mostly they just go right under me under the hammock and tarp. Same for the pack. Sometimes I’ll lay the pack on top of my hiking poles, and sometimes the poles get propped up some on a stick or water bottle to elevate it. I could put the pack on my ridgeline if there was a stream under the tarp.

Uncle Joe
10-23-2018, 17:28
I've actually been thinking about this. I usually hang my pack from my suspension as others have said. I've been thinking of a way to use a ground sheet but slightly suspended. I haven't tried it, mind you, but have been mulling it over. My idea would be to have a ground sheet slightly raised at the corners using my tarp's guide outs or some shock cord. You could walk on it and let it press to the ground but the edges would be raised enough to keep water that might run along the ground from getting over the edges. This way just about anything could be placed on it and stay dry, being under the tarp.

Another thought is a smaller hammock to sling under the existing hammock strictly for keeping gear in. That would be adding a bit more weight, of course.

devoidapop
10-23-2018, 18:47
Another thought is a smaller hammock to sling under the existing hammock strictly for keeping gear in. That would be adding a bit more weight, of course.

I was wondering if anybody would recommend a gear hammock. I have seen them advertised. Never seen one in use though.

Starchild
10-23-2018, 19:45
I've actually been thinking about this. I usually hang my pack from my suspension as others have said. I've been thinking of a way to use a ground sheet but slightly suspended. I haven't tried it, mind you, but have been mulling it over. My idea would be to have a ground sheet slightly raised at the corners using my tarp's guide outs or some shock cord. You could walk on it and let it press to the ground but the edges would be raised enough to keep water that might run along the ground from getting over the edges. This way just about anything could be placed on it and stay dry, being under the tarp.

It sounds like it could turn into an unexpected bathtub

johnnybgood
10-23-2018, 20:21
I was wondering if anybody would recommend a gear hammock. I have seen them advertised. Never seen one in use though.
Clark Jungle Hammocks have pouches underneath for gear storage . The Jungle Hammocks aren't the lightest but do provide those sizable storage pouches.

Tundracamper
10-23-2018, 20:53
I’m a little more basic. I just carry a big black garbage back and put the whole pack, shoes, etc in the bag and kinda tie the end up - since it sits under the hammock. I always seem to get splatter from heavy rain pouring off the tarp. This seems to keep everything in the bag dry. Pretty basic, but it works well.

MikekiM
10-23-2018, 22:15
Shoes and trekking poles go under the hammock on a 3x6 piece of tyvex. Pack is usually hung on a nearby tree but if it's raining i often put it the empty pack liner under the hammock unless the pack is already wet. I've also hung the pack and food in the pack liner using my bear bag line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe
10-23-2018, 23:06
It sounds like it could turn into an unexpected bathtub
Yeah you’d definitely have to keep it well under the tarp.

T.S.Kobzol
10-24-2018, 07:13
I usually just hang everything off the suspension and load my shelf with stuff (warbonnet). I also usually carry a small piece of foam to sit on but when I go sleep I place it underneath my hammock so that I can step on dry and insulated ground when I need to get into and out of my hammock. When it is really cold I place the backpack under my feet to further insulate.

capehiker
10-24-2018, 07:40
There are several cottage companies that make gear slings/storage hammocks that fit under the hammock so ts elevated. Some hammocks are being designed to have more storage space as well (Sheltowee, SMD, etc).

I just set mine on some Tyvek and put the pack inside my rain kilt if it’s going to be extra nasty.

gbolt
10-24-2018, 07:50
In porcupine areas, I hang trailrunners on foot end of hammock suspension and pack clipped on head head. Otherwise, store underneath hammock on Z Packs Rain Kilt if Ground is wet.

u.w.
10-24-2018, 11:23
I’m a little more basic. I just carry a big black garbage back and put the whole pack, shoes, etc in the bag and kinda tie the end up - since it sits under the hammock. I always seem to get splatter from heavy rain pouring off the tarp. This seems to keep everything in the bag dry. Pretty basic, but it works well.

Yep. Large trash bag is what I use too.

Set up tarp (cause it's raining) then hammock/quilt(s), shoes and socks are wet already (remember - it's raining) so the shoes just go on ground under tarp on side of hammock I'll get in/out on, socks rung out then hung on structural ridge line or suspension under tarp, and pack which - is more or less empty - goes in trash bag under hammock, under tarp, on ground - slightly more towards the foot end than the center. If your whole pack is wet already though, then I don't know that it'd matter so much would it?

I've hung my pack from my suspension many a'time, but for me the trash bag is a better option.

u.w.

u.w.
10-24-2018, 11:36
Yes to what gbolt said too, in heavy porcupine areas. They love and will seek out the salt/sweat. Mt. Wilcox south comes to mind. I was surprised by how many there were, how irritated they sounded, and how loud they were.

u.w.

QiWiz
10-24-2018, 13:43
How do you keep your pack, boots, etc dry when hammock camping?Are there better means of doing this than sitting them on the ground beneath the hammock and hoping for the best?Seakayaker

I will sometimes use my pack cover as a "basket" to put things in that I want to keep from losing or getting dirty. This would still be kept on the ground under the hammock/tarp.

bayview
11-01-2018, 20:26
I have thought about using two pieces of tyvek sewn to create a pouch that becomes a mat and also place my gear once I go to bed.

Five Tango
11-02-2018, 15:30

I upgraded my SLD gear hammock to their boot hammock which weighs half as much at just under 2 oz.However,the gear hammock would hold the entire pack just fine plus shoes,water bottle,etc.

I hang everything and anything that could remotely have an odor well away from my hammock and my day clothes go in an odor barrier bag in the pack;hung on the foot end of suspension.

Rain kilt doubles as a ground sheet.I put a piece of tape on one side so the same side always goes to ground.I put stick on grommet tabs on it so it could be staked down.

HandyRandy
11-02-2018, 21:01
I have thought about using two pieces of tyvek sewn to create a pouch that becomes a mat and also place my gear once I go to bed.

They already have these at Home Depot. No DIY required. But if you have a decent sized single sheet, just push everything to the center and pull the perimeter edges up and over your gear and put some weight on top to keep it closed up.

gbolt
11-02-2018, 21:15
Rain kilt doubles as a ground sheet.I put a piece of tape on one side so the same side always goes to ground.I put stick on grommet tabs on it so it could be staked down.[/QUOTE]

I sometimes do this as well. However, the draw string for the Kilt is towards the body; so I make sure that it faces up; thus, the outer Dyneema lays on the ground. This helps avoid the need for tape or a problem if it falls off. Also, ground dirt is washed off when worn for its actual Rain purpose.

HandyRandy
11-12-2018, 11:10
If you want a truly novel solution, check out the Sunset Saddle Bags.
http://theultimatehang.com/2018/11/12/review-simply-light-designs-sunset-saddle-bags-for-hammocks/

kroot
11-12-2018, 16:16
Like many others have said, I use a small groundsheet and just set my pack and other items on that under the hammock/tarp. I took a piece of polycro and cut it down the size I wanted and that just comes with me whereever I go. As a bonus, I can use it as a "picnic blanket" during lunch or other stops if the ground is wet.