PDA

View Full Version : Were to start overnight backpacking/

Billiard Yeti
10-24-2018, 10:15
I live outside Southern NH (few miles from Nashua), and want to start doing easy overnight trips (out of shape and want to start slow and truly fall in love with backpacking).

Any trail suggestions would be great. Thanks...

Phikes
10-24-2018, 10:29
Check out the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway if you're not ready to hit the Whites yet.

pesphoto
10-24-2018, 12:09
Mid State Trail thru central MA has some nice shelters, where in MA?

pesphoto
10-24-2018, 12:12
...oh yea, look up the Tully Trail, easy 22mile loop with a shelter half way

orthofingers
10-24-2018, 12:59
Of course, this is obvious but overnight backpacking consists of two main activities: 1. walking/hiking with a pack on your back and 2. Sleeping overnight in a tent or hammock or shelter (I'm not sure "sleeping" could be classified as an activity, but you know what I mean.)

For #1, you can walk/hike with a pack with some weight in it and get comfortable with your footwear, pack, clothing and rain gear. You can do that starting with slow and low mileage as a day hike while you build your strength and endurance.

For #2, you can work out your sleep/insulation/shelter systems by sleeping in the backyard. The risk is minimal and you can always bail to your warm bed indoors if you have grossly miscalculated.

It ain't rocket science but when you can do both #1 and #2 reasonably ok, then go out on an overnight trip.
Then you can work on #3, cooking/eating.

then #4, figuring what you can do without to lighten your pack.

Billiard Yeti
10-24-2018, 14:07
Of course, this is obvious but overnight backpacking consists of two main activities: 1. walking/hiking with a pack on your back and 2. Sleeping overnight in a tent or hammock or shelter (I'm not sure "sleeping" could be classified as an activity, but you know what I mean.)

For #1, you can walk/hike with a pack with some weight in it and get comfortable with your footwear, pack, clothing and rain gear. You can do that starting with slow and low mileage as a day hike while you build your strength and endurance.

For #2, you can work out your sleep/insulation/shelter systems by sleeping in the backyard. The risk is minimal and you can always bail to your warm bed indoors if you have grossly miscalculated.

It ain't rocket science but when you can do both #1 and #2 reasonably ok, then go out on an overnight trip.
Then you can work on #3, cooking/eating.

then #4, figuring what you can do without to lighten your pack.

This is great advise thank you.

As for the sleep system, I'm a hammocker and have been out in the high 20s low 30s so far (in NH 2 hrs from home). So that aspect I have ok. But the training is something I will start doing. Just don't know any easy trips yet and was trying to find locations for that.

Thanks...

Deadeye
10-24-2018, 14:42
Check out the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway if you're not ready to hit the Whites yet.

I second that suggestion. Check out their website: http://www.msgtc.org/

Slo-go'en
10-24-2018, 16:25
Sounds like you live in the Lowell area. When I lived there, we used to run over to Monadnock whenever it looked like it would be a good sunset.

You don't have a lot of options for easy, near-by overnight hikes. You either head north to the Whites or go west to the Berkshires. The MSG is an nice easy trail to hike, but it's getting a bit late in the season to be doing overnight hikes. But being only an hour drive or so from Lowell, Monadnock is your best choice. Start going up there once a week in all kinds of weather and that will get you into shape.