PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Etrex

kbbgood
10-27-2018, 12:41
I have the yellow etrex and am wondering how I would use it for a thru hike. I live just 5 miles from the Ozark trail in Missouri and am told it is not well marked. I would love to thru hike it but don't need trouble on it.

Slo-go'en
10-27-2018, 16:58
First you need to find out if there is a GPX file for the trail you can load into the etrex. Then it should be able to tell you if your on the trail or not.

Dogwood
10-27-2018, 22:39
OTA has GPS files. Etrex user manual...?

Have you checked out recent OT thru hiker forums of personal thru hiker(that 230 m) accounts of signage/navigation difficulties/opinions of necessities? There's scant OT thru hiker details here on WB.

What are you thru-hiking...the mandated 230 miles? When? Last time I checked like maybe 300+ miles were defined/completed? There were gaps. Completed a few segments in those 230 miles during fall. The ground was not snow covered. The signage and navigation difficulty level for myself changed from obviously intuitive for anyone to a bit more difficult. I just had paper maps which sufficed.

OhioHiker
02-01-2020, 07:56
Its been along time since Ive played with my Etrex, but I don't think that model will load maps... Its a basic no features gps.

camper10469
12-14-2020, 11:14
no maps... its as basic as they come.

i use to lay out n load routes and way points from my computer using topo usa and a special usb cable (which i still have extra diy cable ends). it was very useful on my bushwhacks but i did have map n compass as my main guide.

cmoulder
12-14-2020, 11:52
Gobs of info here (https://ozarktrail.com/thru-hiking/). And gobs of links to even more.