PDA

View Full Version : Vargo Bottle Pot - Any one using this?

SkeeterPee
10-27-2018, 17:01
Hi, I am looking at the Vargo Titanium Bottle Pot, probably the large one that is 1000 ml. My main question is this leak proof. You screw on the lid and there is a seal that should keep liquids in. I plan to use as cook pot and as 2nd water bottle when more than 1 liter is need. But I also to carry coffee in the morning. So I don't want hot coffee leaking on me. Some questions

Does it leak?
Will I need the cosy or want to make one?
How hard is it to break the vacuum seal which sometimes keeps it from opening? I understand slipping a knife blade next to seal should allow you to open.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Rain Man
10-27-2018, 22:20
I have the titanium 700 (?) ml version of the Vargo BOT. Have not actually used it on trail but once and then the threads "seized up" by getting a tiny bit cross-threaded somehow when unscrewing. Took two of us men to unscrew it. I could not have done it alone. Kinda scary.

I didn't use it for carrying liquid. It certainly would not keep coffee hot without a good cozy, so plan on making one.

Traillium
10-27-2018, 22:44
Hi, I am looking at the Vargo Titanium Bottle Pot, probably the large one that is 1000 ml. My main question is this leak proof. You screw on the lid and there is a seal that should keep liquids in. I plan to use as cook pot and as 2nd water bottle when more than 1 liter is need. But I also to carry coffee in the morning. So I don't want hot coffee leaking on me. Some questions

Does it leak?
Will I need the cosy or want to make one?
How hard is it to break the vacuum seal which sometimes keeps it from opening? I understand slipping a knife blade next to seal should allow you to open.

I love my 1L Titantium Bot. Does not leak. Works on my stove. Use it as an extra water bottle when needed. Also use it to pre-soak supper from mid-afternoon on.

I’ve not had troubles opening it — but having read of the troubles of others, I play carefully with it.

Expensive, but I’m glad to have it.

SkeeterPee
10-27-2018, 23:22
My problem with coffee is it is too hot to drink in the morning and i'm all packed up and ready to go and my coffee is too hot. So I figured bringing it along and drinking it 30 mins to an hour later would be a good plan.

for the cross threading issue, I was always taught to back turn a nut / cap, atc until it drops into the thread, then turn forwards. I read a review where a guy said about the same thing and he put a witness mark with permanent pen at that point so could easily align each time.

Despite it being too hot I think the cozy may still be a good idea to keep it warm for a couple stops.

thanks for the comments

SkeeterPee
10-27-2018, 23:28
Thanks for the comments. What do you cold soak? I have heard of couscous, anything else worth trying?

Traillium
10-28-2018, 09:52
Thanks for the comments. What do you cold soak? I have heard of couscous, anything else worth trying?

Most of my dinners are based on one of ramen noodles, Thai glass noodles, couscous, and other dry things I find in what we Canucks refer to as the International aisles of the grocery store. I frequently add a good dollop of Bob’s Mills TVP. That core is then given distinct flavour using various spice packets of Mexican, Jamaican, Japanese, Thai, Indian, Italian, Spanish, whatever …

An hour or more of sloshing around in the Bot, then bringing to a good simmer when I reach camp, then letting sit (cosy or not) while I string up my hammock. Minimizes fuel, uses 1 pot (from which I eat), gets cleaned by sloshing water around and clean-finger-wiping, and then tea-making. Ready to go for the next day!

Deadeye
10-28-2018, 10:37
Check out Darwin's review of the Vargo bot on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_ALVRqDl0

Don't blame me if you then wind up following his trips on the Pinhoti Trail and PCT!

Rain Man
10-28-2018, 11:51
My cap stuck while UNSCREWING it.

for the cross threading issue, I was always taught to back turn a nut / cap, atc until it drops into the thread, then turn forwards. I read a review where a guy said about the same thing and he put a witness mark with permanent pen at that point so could easily align each time.

zelph
10-28-2018, 13:02
The stainless steel bots have better threads but still need to be careful on removing and closing. I like the bots. Heat four cups close to boil, pour off 2 cups into drinking cup for hot chocolate, pour into bot broken up Shrimp Ramen so the remaining 2 cups can heat it up to perfection. Ohhh Sooo good.

Soaking foods in hot/warm water in bot causes vacuum to form during the cooling process, making lid difficult to remove. Wait for contents to cool for easier removal of lid.

BowGal
10-28-2018, 14:37
Love my Bot...both for cooking and cold soaking.

Zalman
11-26-2018, 21:54
My cap stuck while UNSCREWING it.

Indeed, from what I've read the problem isn't cross-threading, but altitude changes creating a pressure lock. The effect can happen with any water bottle (you may have seen a tightly closed plastic water bottle buckle upon descent), but -- according to Vargo -- is exacerbated by the large surface area of the lid on the BOT specifically.

zelph
11-27-2018, 10:56
Once the Bot lid is loosed, do not apply any kind of pressure left or right when continuing to take it off to prevent cross threading. If it does start to cross thread, turn it clock wise in the tightening direction to undo the cross thread. That might be a solution.

I have 5 new, large Vargo Stainless Steel Bots available. Not listed online. They are marked with a "Witness Mark" as suggested by SkeeterPee (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/59882-SkeeterPee)

Jayne
11-27-2018, 17:08
It's really easy to get it stuck if it gets cross-threaded or you close the lid with hot food or liquid inside. I made the mistake of sealing my 700ml version up tight after I added boiling water to my dehydrated dinner and had to wait 30 minutes for it to cool off enough to open last spring :) Not the end of the world, but something to be mindful of. Over-all a pretty useful pot, and pretty much ideal for someone the mostly cold soaks but still wants to be able to boil water from time to time.

zelph
11-28-2018, 09:42
I have 4 of the Stainless steel Bots now available http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/Vargo-Stainless-Steel-BOT.php

Quik
11-28-2018, 22:50
I've been using the BOT 700 for close to 6,000 miles, cold soak and cooking on a campfire, alcohol, Esbit and canister stoves.

For all of you having trouble with the cap sticking read this,

http://blog.vargooutdoors.com/screwing-around-with-the-bot-unsticking-a-stuck-lid/

zelph
11-29-2018, 09:43
https://i1.wp.com/blog.vargooutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/img_2361.jpg?resize=300%2C225We have gotten word from some of our friends out west that they’re having trouble getting the lid off of their new BOTs. After some digging around we discovered that the issue was happening at higher elevations or when going through major elevation changes which was creating unequal pressure inside their BOTs. Unequal pressure paired with the BOT’s already tight fitting lid made it so impossible to unscrew that not even a professional bullrider could get it unstuck (it’s true…someone tried it!).Luckily, it’s a quick fix to get that lid unstuck.

Here’s how:1. Grab your BOT in one hand and a thin, sturdy tool of some sort such as a credit card, key, or flat head screwdriver in your other. We used a drivers license for this demonstration.BOT fixBreaking the pressure seal on the BOT’s lid

2. Without damaging the O-ring, carefully wedge your tool between the top lip of the BOT and the O-ring. Pry up on the O-ring (as seen in the picture). You should hear a small hiss as the pressure equalizes inside the BOT. Ahhhh…

3. Unscrew your lid and enjoy as before!

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/Vargo-S...-Steel-BOT.php (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/Vargo-Stainless-Steel-BOT.php)