PDA

View Full Version : Weather in mid-May?

cjordan
02-20-2006, 08:40
I'll be doing my first 3 day section hike in mid-May. Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect in the Springer mountain area that time of year.
Rain? High/low temperature?

Thanks a bunch.

bigmac_in
02-20-2006, 08:53
I'll be doing my first 3 day section hike in mid-May. Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect in the Springer mountain area that time of year.
Rain? High/low temperature?

Thanks a bunch.

Go Here - http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=weather_index

Then click on Springer on the map - it will give you monthly averages. It's a great resource for the whole trail.

Big

Whistler
02-20-2006, 17:26
May is nice down here. While April can give some really nasty thunderstorms, May is a little more relaxed. That's when the nighttime temps are confidently moving away from freezing. Daytime can get legitimately hot and humid. I'd plan for 80s to 40s in Georgia, a bit colder as you get up into a few spots in NCs. Bugs aren't too bad unless you're in heavy foliage, or hanging out by sluggish water. Not too many flowers about, but it's nice hiking. Very green.

-Mark

Bidwell
02-14-2009, 22:34
Beautiful in May, typical spring/summer weather. It has gotten into the 90s in mid may though, so just keep that in mind!

Bidwell
02-14-2009, 22:36
Can't edit my last post, but also meant to say that it can get cold as well. I remember running a trail race in Dahlonega (30 minutes from Amicalola) in May a few years ago. Left ATL early in the morning just to get there to realize I was waaaaaay underdressed (it had gotten in the low 30s that morning.

Of course, it did warm up into the high 60s that day so it was a beautiful day, but don't get caught in the cold!