PDA

View Full Version : Altra Lone Peaks and Gaiters

seakayaker
10-28-2018, 11:27
I have a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5 with 4 point gaiters.

Seem the gaiters are a bit of a PITA to put on. Doable when its warm but I'm bettering its very difficult with cold hands and impossible with gloves.

For those that use Altra's with the gaiters, any advice?

Odd Man Out
10-28-2018, 11:38
I've not used gaiters on my Lone Peaks, but did you know that Altra Lone Peaks have a built in Velcro tab on the heel and a hook on the front for attaching a gaiter such as those made by Dirty Girl.

nsherry61
10-28-2018, 13:29
I haven't tried the 4-point gaiters. I think they look very interesting, especially for snow where the older "2-point?" gaiters occasionally get pulled up while postholing. Why would you expect to be messing with putting them on with cold hands? Put 'em when you're still warm. Taking them off with cold hands should be too much of a probleme. And, you could probably do a lot by just pulling off the toe piece to tighten laces and whatnot? Worst case scenario, you could ignore the side straps if your hands were too cold to fiddle with them?

Cold hands . . . interesting thought and concern. I still think I'm going to get a pair and try them out.

Let us all know how your experience pans out in the field please.

Dogwood
10-28-2018, 18:50
Better than the older "2 pt" Altra or OR Surge gaiters for the reasons Sherry mentioned. My issue with the older style or OR Surge on/off is not cold hands but the design in relation to a very high voluminous instep which overly stretches the spandex and seaming. This is why once I have them on I don't have the tendency to take them off my feet but may unhook either. Both these gaiters have ripped seams. The new Altra 4 pt design looks from Altra pics to have been addressing Sherry and my issues. I haven't tried the 4 pts though. As Sherry says I too am looking to get a pr and try them out.

If it's all that cold anticipating anything but a dusting depth wearing low cut Altras or HOKAs I go to a different gaiter for longer outings. For the wt and keeping debris possibly minimal snow depth out they can work.

Gambit McCrae
11-07-2018, 12:32
I feel like gaiters are the hiking worlds best kept gimmick. Take those things off and let the dogs breath, I don't know what in the world folks are trying to keep out from crawling down in their shoes but I personally have worn gaitors for about 2 hours of my hiking, which was long enough to wear them, take them off and strap them to my pack.

I am also on m y 4th pair of LP's - Zero time using gators with them

chknfngrs
11-07-2018, 13:58
Limits blister causing irritants, professor.

Gambit McCrae
11-07-2018, 14:37
Limits blister causing irritants, professor.

This professor don't get blisters - nother reason I can add to not wear gators :-?

Nanatuk
11-07-2018, 14:40
I have a pair of the Mountain Laurel light snow gaiters that are setup for my LP 3.5's. Should get some snow soon so I can give them a go.

cmoulder
11-07-2018, 18:11
I use gaiters all the time, the stretchy Altras, and OR Wrapids in the winter.

I know that some people walk all day and don't get anything in their shoes. I can't walk 1/4 mile without having to stop to take out pebbles or twigs. I find that they don't overheat my feet in the least. YMMV

Gambit McCrae
11-07-2018, 18:31
I use gaiters all the time, the stretchy Altras, and OR Wrapids in the winter.

I know that some people walk all day and don't get anything in their shoes. I can't walk 1/4 mile without having to stop to take out pebbles or twigs. I find that they don't overheat my feet in the least. YMMV

What little I hiked in gaiters My legs sweat till my socks were wet. And the strap tension around my leg was annoying. on the same token, I never seem to get debri in my shoes

cmoulder
11-07-2018, 19:20
I have a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5 with 4 point gaiters.

Seem the gaiters are a bit of a PITA to put on. Doable when its warm but I'm bettering its very difficult with cold hands and impossible with gloves.

For those that use Altra's with the gaiters, any advice?
Try the OR Wrapids. They work well with trail runners but not with boots. For deep winter, deep snow when wearing boots, I use the OR Endurance gaiters with Vasque Snowblime boots.

dreamweaver21
11-21-2018, 17:02
I've hiked the last couple of years in Lone Peaks. Never saw a point in gaiters.

cmoulder
11-21-2018, 17:26
I've hiked the last couple of years in Lone Peaks. Never saw a point in gaiters.

And some people do.

AllDownhillFromHere
11-22-2018, 01:40
Tried them, too blistery. My feet are much happier sans gaiters.

Nodust
11-25-2018, 13:39

That’s the problem I had with gaiters. Every time I used them I got a blister. Never got a blister without. My feet sweat a lot so I go with whatever helps them vent.

nsherry61
11-25-2018, 20:10

That’s the problem I had with gaiters. Every time I used them I got a blister. Never got a blister without. My feet sweat a lot so I go with whatever helps them vent.
So, this begs the question, are you referring to gaiters that are waterproof or otherwise not as breathable as the lycra running gaiters, or are you referring to experience with the "ultra-breathable" running gaiters.

Dogwood
11-25-2018, 20:32

With all the possible causal variables that lead to blisters you've both been able to eliminate them all arriving at the conclusion it has to be "gaiters" as the sole variable that caused your blisters and yet you both don't detail the types of gaiters, under what conditions, what else is being worn, etc? :confused:

Nodust
11-25-2018, 22:36
With all the possible causal variables that lead to blisters you've both been able to eliminate them all arriving at the conclusion it has to be "gaiters" as the sole variable that caused your blisters and yet you both don't detail the types of gaiters, under what conditions, what else is being worn, etc? :confused:

Dirty girls gaiters.

Lone Peak Altras and darn tough socks. Been wearing that shoe sock combo for all my hikes since 2016. Not sure what style of socks but they are the 1/4 length runner type. Loved the clean feet. This was on the Colorado trail last summer and wind river range this summer with no rain.

Blister started on outside of heel both times. Second time I took gaiters off before as soon as a hot spot started and no issues after.

Maybe coincidence I’m not a blister expert. This is the only time I’ve had them. And neither time was longer hikes than I’ve done before.

nsherry61
11-25-2018, 23:27
And, I get blisters from dirt in my shoes if I don't wear my Dirty Girl Gaiters.
I guess we're not all clones.

Dogwood
11-26-2018, 01:32
Thx for the reply NoDust.

Just being the investigator gathering info, eliminating variables.

Five Tango
11-28-2018, 18:28
I have a love hate relationship going on with my gaiters.These are gore tex knee high gaiters from Cabellas.They are my first defense against underbrush,ticks(because I treat them with permethrin),and they keep my legs warm when it's cool out and dry when it's wet out.I use a rain kilt and have had great results with the kilt/knee high gaiter combination.However,it is a pain to get them on and off.So I endure the hassle and don't intend to change.

Dogwood
11-28-2018, 20:03
Rolling down socks to cover ankle openings also helps keep debris out of shoes. It also can negatively affect wicking and ventilation though.