PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for best gripping boot?

dwbpa1
10-29-2018, 16:32
The current pair of OBOZ i wear for day hikes do not have a very good grip on wet surfaces. With an upcoming thru hike in 2019, I would like recommendations for very good gripping boots in wet conditions. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Slo-go'en
10-29-2018, 17:31
Good luck, I have yet to find any such thing. Some are better then others, none are all that great. For best grip you need soft rubber but for long life, you need hard rubber. So they compromise somewhere in the middle. Or try too.

I had pretty good luck with a pair of Jack Wolfskin boots this summer. They lasted about 500 miles, not too bad for a lightweight boot.

Venchka
10-29-2018, 19:27
Read what the Section Hiker has to say about the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors.
I own 2 pairs of Ultra Raptors. I donít have enough miles on them to offer a long term review. They do grip well on tilted slabs of Colorado and Wyoming granite.
They arenít boots. They are just fine for backpacking with or without trails.
Wayne

RangerZ
10-29-2018, 22:06
The current pair of OBOZ i wear for day hikes do not have a very good grip on wet surfaces. With an upcoming thru hike in 2019, I would like recommendations for very good gripping boots in wet conditions. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I agree that Oboz don’t seem to grip well on wet rocks - but they were the only brand available when I needed a new pair of boots in Damascus. I think that Lowa Renegades have a better grip.

JC13
10-30-2018, 09:07
Best wet grip shoes I have found so far were the Vasque Constant Velocity. They are trail runners though and not boots, feet got too wide to continue wearing them. Great cushion though especially if you heel-strike. I had multiple times where others were sliding on wet rocks and I was having zero issues.

dwbpa1
10-31-2018, 14:56
Thank you.

tdoczi
10-31-2018, 16:58
almost every new pair of boots or trail runners ive ever had grips fabulously for about 3 days. and then they dont.

i'm notoriously hard on shoes, so maybe it might be a week for normal people.

MtDoraDave
11-02-2018, 20:00
The keen targhee 2 has been great for me on most surfaces. I haven't hiked in anything else, do I don't know how they compare.