PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving section

wperrott92
10-30-2018, 17:47
Planning a three day section of either the second half/highest points of the Roan highlands or somewhere in the smokies over Thanksgiving. Familar with the Roan highlands from a Summer section hike but unfamilar with the smokies. Could use gear recommendations: https://lighterpack.com/r/6m3i9. A friend who used to live in the area advised me that conditions on areas like Mt. Roan would depend on when it starts snowing this year.

importman77
10-30-2018, 20:56
I've never done the smokies but I've done the Roan Highlands and I recommend doing it. Be prepared for some serious cold weather though. I did Carver's Gap to 19E over Thanksgiving about 4-5 years ago and it was windy and COLD. But the sheer beauty of this section outweighs any negatives. Plus, based on information on another thread this might be your last chance to stay at Overmountain shelter.

wperrott92
11-01-2018, 11:27
My schedule changed and I’m now going to be hiking the smokies section over the four day Veterans Day weekend in a week. Of course will check the forecast in the coming days but could use an opinion from someone familiar with the park if I should switch to a zero degree bag from a 20 degree quilt for this trip.

johnacraft
11-01-2018, 16:38
Of course will check the forecast in the coming days but could use an opinion from someone familiar with the park if I should switch to a zero degree bag from a 20 degree quilt for this trip.

I wasn't camping, but I've been on Clingmans Dome before sunrise in November when it was below 10F with 20mph winds.

There's a lot of historical temperature data at Mt. LeConte here (http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts), I'd scan the November entries to get a feel for how variable the overnight lows are.

wperrott92
11-01-2018, 20:40
It doesn’t appear that it is likely to get that cold until later in the month but winds will be an issue. Would it help more to switch from 100 to 200 wt fleece or get a more significant shell than frogg toggs?

wperrott92
11-03-2018, 17:51
It now does appear that it may get that cold, may have to adjust my hike length or section as I’m not super confident hiking high mileage in the temps predicted for Veterans Day weekend.